"Hand of God" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Hand of God"

cheater

Quote:
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Diego Maradona acknowledged that he struck the ball with his hand in the famous "Hand of God" goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarterfinals.

Speaking on his local television talk show Monday night, Maradona called one of soccer's most controversial goals "something that just came out of me. It was a bit of mischief."

Maradona appeared to punch the ball into the net, and officials allowed the goal to stand despite protests by the English team. Argentina went on to win the 1986 quarterfinal match 2-1 and then win the World Cup.

In his most detailed comments yet, Maradona said he was unable to reach the ball for a header when he went up against the taller English goalkeeper, Peter Shilton.

Shilton "was very tall. He didn't see anything, and a teammate told him" afterward what happened, said Maradona.

After the score, Maradona said he quickly realized the line referee had allowed the goal but none of his teammates had rushed to celebrate with him -- themselves figuring the goal would be waved off.

"I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me and no one came," said Maradona, who was the team captain. "I told them, 'Come hug me or the referee isn't going to allow it."'

In his 20-year career before retiring in 1997, Maradona starred at Argentinos Juniors and Boca Juniors and in Europe. He also led Argentina to the 1990 World Cup final and won Italian and Argentine league titles.

In 1991, Maradona failed a drug test and was banned for 15 months. Nine years later, FIFA chose him and Pele as the best players in soccer history.

Recently, he was appointed vice president of Boca Juniors. And with his new TV show, Maradona, 45, has returned to the limelight after years of dealing with cocaine addiction and health problems.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...340282&cc=5901

Old 08-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
country flag Daniela_CABJ

Daniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Hand of God"

Diego Maradona

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

*LINK TO RICHARD GASQUET OFFICIAL WEBSITE*

TOMÁŠ BERDYCH
Daniela_CABJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
bad gambler

it's not like he had to admit it
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It was a volleyball spike and bilbo's blind grandmother in a wheelchair saw it for what it was.

The second goal was a thing of art though.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the referee should be more to blame than Maradona. chetaing is an acceptable tactic that is used by footballers. In any case when Germany defeated argentina in the finals in 1990, the penalty that Germany was awarded was highly disputed. I was for Germany too and I was a child when I saw that game but that's how I remember the game.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

non-tennis

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Maradona was a stupid ........ at his best and a non-capable person to properly manage his life aside from football, but he was a tremendously good and talented football player, especially when he did distinguish between his fist and his head to strike the ball.

He admitted what was already clear for almost everybody who had eyes in their heads.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 08-24-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones
In any case when Germany defeated argentina in the finals in 1990, the penalty that Germany was awarded was highly disputed. I was for Germany too and I was a child when I saw that game but that's how I remember the game.
Yes, it was no penalty. It was more like nothing special and not worthy at all to call a penalty for that and I personally think it was a concession decision because of a penalty-worthy situation earlier in the game where the ref missed to award a penalty in these deciding seconds as he had to decide whether to make a call or not.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
country flag Nimomunz

Nimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond reputeNimomunz has a reputation beyond repute

you're a bastard you're a bastard your a bastard referee........... (sing along)
Old 08-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose
non-tennis
yeah, thats why its in NON TENNIS section
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute genius If he'd done it against Scotland I might be thinking differently but how can you hate someone for knocking out the English

And as GWH said, his 2nd goal was the greatest thing I've ever seen and shouldn't be forgotten.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
country flag Aurora
icicles down my spine

Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond reputeAurora has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose
non-tennis
sex-threads also find their place in non-tennis, even those with Rainer these days I guess.

Aurora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #13
country flag Jorge

Jorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond repute

well finally he did accept it He knows that everybody knew about "the hand of Diego".
He has "revelled" the truth because he has to do it say some day and because he wanted rating for his new show.

What did call my attention are three things:
1. he said that Shilton lies when he says that "he saw" Diego using the hand to score. Diego told that it was a defender (Fenwick?) the one who saw the hand and later he told it to Peter Shilton about it.
2. He said that her teammates didn't want to hug him and to celebrate the goal because they knew that the goal was scored with his hand. so he had to tell them to hug him and to celebrate the goal in order to make the referee stick to his decision.
3. He said that he doesn't regrets about it, that he would do it once again because at that time Argentina and England had a recent war, and for the argentines the english "robbed" the "falkland islands" (or Islas malvinas), so he used a very common saying "ladrón que roba a ladrón tiene cien años de perdón" which means: "Thief that stoles another thief has 100 years of forgiveness".

finally I am happy to see maradona in a good shape, without many kilos and apparently recovered from his addiction problems. I am not agree with "cheating" on any sport but let's face it: Maradona cheated on style!. Finally the ones to blame are the linesman and the referee. Anyway after that goal he scored one of the most beautiful goals ever made (if not the most); just for that goal (the second one) Argentina deserved to win, and also because they were the best team on the pitch that day.

Last edited by Jorge : 08-25-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Jorge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing people remember the Hand of God, but that 2nd goal beating 6 players and having a defender tackle him from behind and score that goal was beautiful at the same time the Falkland comments doesn't surprise.

He has his show and is doing some work with Boca, it's good now, but how can he keep off cocaine in the entertainment world.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
country flag Jorge

Jorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
but how can he keep off cocaine in the entertainment world.
This is going to be his biggest challenge. Good luck to him.
Jorge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote