Andre in US Open 2005, Aug. 29-Sept. 11, 2005 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andre in US Open 2005, Aug. 29-Sept. 11, 2005

Don't count out Agassi at the Open
Story Tools: Print Email
Matthew Cronin / tennisreporters.net
Posted: 18 minutes ago

The eternally optimistic Andre Agassi is planning on competing in the 2005 U.S. Open and says he's hoping to play the next.

You have to believe that's what he desires, because he said much the same last year and made good on his vow.
But the 35-year-old's body is one year older and certainly more war torn. He's had three cortisone shots into his bad back already this year and hasn't been able to play for two weeks running since May.

Since a swollen sciatic nerve in his back struck him down at the French Open, he's played all of two events: Los Angeles in late July and at Montreal two weeks ago.

Will Andre Agassi make an improbable run starting next week and claim his third U.S. Open crown?

He put on a standout performances in both of them, winning L.A. over a relatively weak yet ambitious field and then taking down a strong set of contenders in Montreal (including Gaston Gaudio and Greg Rusedski) before falling in three sets in the final to Spanish wunderkind Rafael Nadal.

The Las Vegan then decided to rest another two weeks before the Open, because few athletes pay more close attention to their bodies than Agassi does, and he has promised his wife, the legendary Steffi Graf, as well as his coach, Darren Cahill, and his trainer, Gil Reyes, that he won't compete unless he's 100 percent.

Because, even at full strength, Agassi's not racking up the titles anymore. (He's won two in the past two years.) If he's going to even hope to make a dent in New York, he had better be feeling as fit as he has all year, because in the past two years, he hasn't proven that his body can take the amount of pounding necessary to go all the way in New York.

"Eight weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I was playing tennis again," he said. "So to be out here feeling healthy and being able to move and hit my shots, that part alone feels great to me, let alone actually playing well. So now all of a sudden I'm faced with the reality that I can actually go enjoy the Open this year because I'm doing a few things right, which is nice to feel. I like where I am right now."

As well he should be, because Agassi has a puncher's chance of winning the tournament, given that things break very, very right for him. That means no marathon matches early, no incredibly tough draws and no rainouts that force him play on back-to-back days. Because although he can still ball with 98 percent of the tour, he has not shown in the past two and a half years (which dates back to when the nerve in his back first started killing him) that he can sustain his level in three-out-of-five set matches over a two week period in seven matches straight.

The two-time U.S. Open champion has been a tremendous competitor in New York during the past three years, but in every loss he took (to Sampras in the 2002 final, to Juan Carlos Ferrero in the '03 semis and to Roger Federer last year), he looked a little spent.

Last year, he played Federer tougher than any other player in the tournament, and had it not been for a gale of a wind pushing chairs around the court in the last two sets of the Swiss' five-set victory, Agassi may have won that contest. However, there was no guarantee that he would have beaten Tim Henman in the semis and certainly not Lleyton Hewitt in the final.

But if a few of the big stars get upset, the 2005 Open is dry and he gets on an early roll, it would be hard to argue against his experience.

"You always get excited more when you feel like you have more of a chance.," he said. "Paris doesn't excite me at all anymore because I just associate it with pain, meaning physical. So you're sort of glad to be a part of it, but you're limited to how much you can really enjoy the experience when you're surviving, you know. But the US Open is different. I feel like there's just a lot of matches I can play on my terms, and certainly the home crowd. Every one is so unique to itself. I do look forward to the Open's personality. It's a great place to play."

Unfortunately, Agassi can't apply his terms to everyone. Men's tennis has a clear big five right now: Federer, Nadal, Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Marat Safin. Four of those are former U.S. Open champs and one of them — a 19-year-old Spaniard with a vicious lefty forehand and blinding speed — just kicked Agassi's butt in the third set of the Montreal final. Without question, Agassi certainly is a more proven pressure player in NY than the relative greenhorn Nadal, but he's not a better player and if he couldn't knock out the tireless teen in a two-out-of-three set match, what chance does he have in three-out-of-five?

"I laughed at the prospect of playing Nadal when I was 19, just his strength and his speed and all that stuff," Agassi said. "You watch how the game continues to improve. I've prided myself on my continual efforts to rise to those challenges and to get better. But, yes, the game's going to get better with or without me, so I'd rather it be with me."

Grant Agassi his improvement in the areas of court stewardship, consistency and with his serve. But he's not as fast as he once was and doesn't whale his groundstrokes like he used to. Moreover, what chance does he really have to stop the remarkable Federer, who has beaten him seven times in a row, just won his 22nd final in a row in Cincinatti and dearly wants to bag his second Slam in a year in New York?

Not a big one, but Agassi wants to keep coming back for more. Unless his back completely seizes up and his doctors tell him that he'll have to undergo surgery, he won't be pulling a Sampras — walking away full of ambiguity, retiring a year later and not looking back without apparent regret.

Or at least that's what Agassi says now. But should he win the title in the style that his old rival Sampras did in 2002, don't dismiss the possibility out of hand, even if Andre himself does at the moment.

"It would be great to win, but I have no interest in putting a nice little bow around my career and handing it over to anybody," Agassi said. "I'm going to keep giving everything I've got to this sport. It's been so good to me. I couldn't hope or even expect for it to give me any more. So I go to the Open with the intention of hopefully bringing some inspiration to those who take a few hours out of their day to come watch me. That's what I look forward to."

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre in US Open 2005, Aug. 29-Sept. 11, 2005

Whoever makes it to the final, the climax of the men's singles promises to be especially emotive, falling as it does on the fourth anniversary of the September 11 attacks on New York.

Should Agassi, the 35-year-old who appears on the brink of retirement, reach the final, the intensity on the cavernous Arthur Ashe court would reach almost unbearable levels.

The idea seemed absurd a few weeks ago with Agassi racked by back pain.

However, in winning the Los Angeles Open and reaching the final of the Montreal Masters in August the father-of-two showed he is not quite ready to swap professional sport for full-time parenting.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
country flag mandy20

mandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we will know tomorrow when the draw comes out weather andre has a good or bad us open good luck andre go andre go
mandy20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
country flag Gigan

sure!

The 2005 US Open Draw Ceremony will be held on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 at 11:00 AM. Check back shortly for the men's and women's draws.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
RebelNYC

RebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond repute

GO ANDRE GO! I cannot wait to be there for him cheering him on!
RebelNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
country flag Gigan

Andre's seed No is 7 at U.S. Open

August 23, 2005
NEW YORK (AP) --
Tuesday's announcement came as no surprise. Federer .....has been ranked No. 1 for 82 straight weeks.

French Open champion Rafael Nadal was the No. 2 seed on the men's side, followed by Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick of the United States and reigning Australian Open champion Marat Safin of Russia. Hewitt, Roddick and Safin are all former U.S. Open champs.

Andre Agassi, who has been hampered by a bad back and hasn't played since losing to Nadal in Montreal earlier this month, is seeded seventh.

The tournament's draw will be held Wednesday. The U.S. Open begins
Monday.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 AM   #7
doubleafan

doubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to behold

My guess is he is going to Play the same level as in Indian Wells earlier this year and will come out all guns blazing. Agassi proved that he can survive Super Saturday be playing a series of matches on Sat and Sun at Montreal.

Last year the match vs Federer was the title match for me. Had Agassi won that, he would have easily taken out Henman and Hewitt.

Go Agassi !!!
doubleafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Andre in US Open 2005, Aug. 29-Sept. 11, 2005

I think Andre can make it far in this tournament again. See the draw and discuss later.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
country flag Gigan

Agassi not a kid anymore at Open

Nineteen years after strutting into Flushing Meadows as a teenage debutant, Andre Agassi returns to the U.S. Open next week for what could be his final appearance at a grand slam. If, that is, his back can take the strain.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #10
country flag Gigan

PAT MAC: ANDRE AIN'T DONE YET

By MARC BERMAN;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------August 24, 2005 -- Patrick McEnroe doesn't believe Andre Agassi's game and health have slipped enough to warrant this being Agassi's last U.S. Open.
"He's not the superstar he was, but there's still a place for him," McEnroe said.

Agassi, 35, will play his 20th Open, and whispers of this...

Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
RebelNYC

RebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond repute

7 is a lucky number! YOU GO ANDRE, GO!
RebelNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody live in NYC going to see this?

Agassi To Make Mark On Broadway With Adidas Appearance

By Tennis Week
08/24/2005

Andre Agassi will celebrate his 20th anniversary at the U.S. Open by making his mark on Broadway tomorrow.

The two-time U.S. Open champion will appear at the largest adidas Sport Performance store in the world in the SoHo section of Manhattan on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Agassi will cast cast his handprints in cement for display in the store, located at 610 Broadway at the corner of Houston.

The 35-year-old Agassi will also build his first pair of mi adidas customized tennis shoes and announce that adidas will donate $100 to the Andre Agassi Foundation for every pair of mi adidas shoes sold through the duration of the U.S. Open.

For more information, please visit adidas.com
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
country flag joycomesmorning

joycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond reputejoycomesmorning has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know anything about AA's first round opponent, Sabau, from Romania????

jcm
joycomesmorning is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #14
country flag mandy20

mandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond repute

He is 26 years old, 6ft 1in tall, Right handed and no 81 entry Rankings his win/lost 5/4
mandy20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #15
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Andre in US Open 2005, Aug. 29-Sept. 11, 2005

Road to final!

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote