Kiefer's grip? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kiefer's grip?

On ESPN they said something about how Kiefer spreads his grip so that his index finger is pointing way up on the racquet. I couldn't catch exactly what they said in total, but I was curious because that's what I have always done myself and teachers would try to correct me but I could never change. No doubt that must help direct the ball I guess. Did anyone hear what they said?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiefer's grip?

Mine was exactly the same, until about when i hit 16. Everyone told me to change it and that it wasn't good. I could never understand why, because I thought it helped me control my shots.
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

They were just talking about his service grip. He points his index finger up the shaft of the racquet a little bit as he begins his service motion. Looked like it was back in a relatively normal place by the time he made contact with the ball though.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
country flag Seleshfan
Got Premium? I do.

Seleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond reputeSeleshfan has a reputation beyond repute

I did. I think they said that Kiefer needs to get a grip because he was staring down the line judge after she called a foot-fault on him.

No seriously, when he serves, his index-finger points to the head of his racket and is not with the rest of his fingers, in a fist like grip on his racket.
Seleshfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
country flag henree

henree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond reputehenree has a reputation beyond repute

OMG speaking of grips. Watching Bjorkman the other day. I was struck by the grip he uses on his forehand. It is like he pushes the ball, rather than swings through it. Anybody know what grip Bjorkman uses. It is the most bizarre forehand I have ever seen.
henree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea
Mine was exactly the same, until about when i hit 16. Everyone told me to change it and that it wasn't good. I could never understand why, because I thought it helped me control my shots.
My teachers told me eventually my wrist would get sore or injured using that style of grip. However, it was always the opposite. My wrist would feel weaker if I would move my index finger down. I have never changed the grip, I just can't.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
country flag PamV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
They were just talking about his service grip. He points his index finger up the shaft of the racquet a little bit as he begins his service motion. Looked like it was back in a relatively normal place by the time he made contact with the ball though.
Oh thanks. I am surprised they made such a big deal about that then. Any way...I always watch with the sound off when I get nervous so that's why I missed the comments. I just saw the red circle showing his grip with the index finger pointing up.