Articles & Interviews - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #61
country flag case

case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

The article is sad. Everybody compares everybody to someone else. Mathieu gets compared to Monfils who gets compared to Gasquet who gets compared to Nadal who gets compared to Federer who gets compared to every other old player.

Mathieu is capable of holding his own, maybe not so capable of keeping his head.

Thanks for the translation Julie.

So far hes doing well in the first set! Two more to go
case is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #62
country flag case

case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute

Not doing
well in the second set. I knew i shouldnt have commented on the match.
case is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:41 PM   #63
country flag Sandra

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

i have a feeling one of the tournemnt he wont play next year is Bucharest Well that is it .... at least win bercy this year
Old 11-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #64
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

HE WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/4 at tie break of the third set ! That's so good !!!
Unfortunatly I was in Bercy but I had to leave at second set so I didn't see the last set, but the most important that HE WON

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #65
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
The article is sad. Everybody compares everybody to someone else. Mathieu gets compared to Monfils who gets compared to Gasquet who gets compared to Nadal who gets compared to Federer who gets compared to every other old player.

Mathieu is capable of holding his own, maybe not so capable of keeping his head.

Thanks for the translation Julie.

So far hes doing well in the first set! Two more to go
The medias don't really compare him to Monfils and Gasquet. I think that's himself who makes an inferiority complex. And he shouldn't. I hope the performances of the youngs will motivate him to do the same.
Every players are different... He should focus on his results.
As I said, this article is a bit harsh (but pretty true ) and if only it could trigger something in his mind...
At least, tonight it worked.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 AM   #66
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Articles & Interviews

Nice article. He should get over his frustration,that was his history which can't change forever. Now he has to find the method to beat Frenchman.BTW he is the only Frenchman in last 16,it's a good news for him and his fans.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #67
country flag parissima

parissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond reputeparissima has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
Unfortunatly I was in Bercy but I had to leave at second set so I didn't see the last set, but the most important that HE WON
Oh... that's too bad :/ My friend had to leave during the second set as well...
But
yeah, he won
i filmed bits of the game... if the quality is ok, i'm gonna upload them.
parissima is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #68
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

I found this advertisement of MOURATOGLOU Tennis Academy

Many Roads Can Drive You To Success
By Patrick Mouratoglou
February 24, 2005

Our Responsibility And Our Challenge
Is To Help You Find Yours.

I truly believe that we all have much more resources than we imagine, because I have experienced it so many times. When you work with players, you have to believe that everything is possible ! Furthermore, through the years, I saw so many pretented untalented players finally find the way to success and also many others, supposedly very gifted, struggling without ever finding their way.

The coach's job is to guide the player :
- Guide him to visualise the player he is going to be.
- Work for his development using his abilities, weapons and personnality.
- Prevent him from false roads
- Find a way to activate the player's deep ressources.

These steps have to be boxed in a global philosophy.

In other terms, our role is to help the player build his own winning process.

This is exactly the work we are doing at the Academy everyday.

That was our challenge when Marcos BAGHDATIS came to the Academy. Thirteen and a half years old, he was feeling totally lost leaving his family and country for a place where he knew nobody and didn't even speak the language.
Working with him, we have helped Marcos find in himself the power to overcome the difficulties and he finally found his way for being who he is now : a Junior Grand Slam Winner, the 2003 Junior N?1 in the world and a professional player ranked 92 ATP.

That was also a challenge when Paul-Henri MATHIEU came to the Academy with a very low confidence. Our collaboration would help him find a way, in a few months, to win Junior Roland Garros.

Like those players, you can also find your way ! Someone has to show it to you.

The knowledge and investment of the coach in the whole building process is decisive. Most of the great Legends' successes started when they decided to invest in a real coach.

THINK BIG !

YOUR FUTURE IS IN YOUR HANDS. YOU ARE WRITING YOUR HISTORY. MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES.

Patrick MOURATOGLOU
MOURATOGLOU Tennis Academy which has been created in 1997 has, since the beginning driven players to the top junior rankings and already totalises 8 Junior Grand Slam finals with players like Paul-Henri MATHIEU, Mario ANCIC, Gilles MULLER, and Marcos BAGHDATIS

------

He might need to return to the academy to gain his confidence back!

"...came to the Academy with a VERY low confidence..." I can imagine that!

Last edited by Ome : 03-08-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Ome is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #69
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Articles & Interviews

Thank you,Ome!
Junior RG?That means his VERY low confidence has been for ages. I think something has happened to his teenage.Paulo should come there again!

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #70
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

this one has a fresh view point, right, i stand by the side that their teenagers' experiences would give their career a not small effection
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #71
country flag Vialator

Vialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond reputeVialator has a reputation beyond repute

Coria-Mathieu, une belle paire de gamberges
http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=375999

A défaut d'être montrée dans les écoles de tennis, la partie que l'Argentin a remporté contre le Français pourrait être diffusée en fac de psycho.

par CÉDRIC MATHIOT
LIBERATION.FR : mercredi 19 avril 2006 - 17:40

Monte-Carlo, envoyé spécial

Il ne faut pas se fier au cadre, aux filles dans les loges, au soleil, aux cyprès se dessinant sur l'azur et à tout le tintouin du Monte Carlo Country Club. Une partie de tennis, ça peut être un calvaire. Mercredi, Guillermo Coria a battu Paul-Henri Mathieu, dans une tragique guerre des névroses entre un Argentin qui fut longtemps incapable de poser la balle dans le terrain lors de ses engagements et un Français infichu de mobiliser son jeu ou de s'appuyer sur un schéma tactique opérant lorsqu'il s'agit de terminer une affaire.

«La» statistique de la partie, on a longtemps cru que ce serait les 15 doubles fautes de Cora en six jeux de service jusqu'à 1/6 0/4. A ce moment-là du (non)match, il était obligé de pousser des secondes balles (parfois à 115 kilomètres heure) sur lesquelles Mathieu bombardait tranquillement (80% de points gagnés sur les secondes de Coria jusqu'à cet instant). On se disait alors que l'Argentin maudit allait sortir en une heure de jeu, confirmant que depuis de long mois, il est coincé dans une impasse. Coria, c'est un OVNI sur le circuit, un type au physique osseux, pas aimable pour un sou, haï du public et peu aimé de ses pairs pour son comportement sur le court. Et cette espèce de figure de culpabilité expie en sabotant régulièrement les occasions qui lui sont données de briller. Comme cette finale de Roland-Garros 2004 perdue contre Gaston Gaudio après avoir vendangé une balle de match et qui l'a plongé dans la déprime.

Donc Coria allait perdre. A moins de refiler le mistigri de la gamberge. Ce qui fut fait. Car Mathieu, ce n'est pas non plus Boudha en short. Le Français, porte aussi sa brouette de problèmes avec lui. Joueur tôt éclos (deux victoires coup sur coup à Moscou et Lyon en 2002), il fut tôt décevant. Il est aujourd'hui un joueur fragile qui sait difficilement gagner. Au premier tour déjà, Mathieu avait sorti un Safin malade en donnant des signes inquiétants de fébrilité, peinant, à la fin du match, quand l'opposition prit un peu (pas beacuoup) de consistance (6/0 7/5). Le Russe a eu cette phrase terrible pour son vainqueur : « C'est un joueur qui a du talent, mais qui joue sans rien faire de spécial. Peut-être manque-t-il de courage.» De confiance, c'est sûr.

Et donc, mercredi, menant 6/1 4/0, Mathieu s'est peut-être vu gagner et s'est mis à perdre. Des points, des jeux. Alors que Coria, qui avait retrouvé un semblant de service, se mettait à cavaler comme un lapin et même à joliment cogner la balle. L'Argentin remonté à 5/5, Mathieu parvint à breaker à nouveau sans en profiter. Deux balles de matches gâchées plus tard, Mathieu se trouvait embarqué dans un tie-break. A 4 points partout dans le jeu décisif, Coria se rappella au bon souvenir de son service défectueux avec une horrible double faute (18e). Un revers dans le couloir plus tard, Mathieu avait deux balles de match. Non converties. 7/6 pour Coria.

Totalement égaré, Mathieu concède le break à 2 partout. Puis à 2/4. Le match s'échappe. Et donc Mathieu lâche ses coups. A 5/3 pour Coria, l'Argentin voit filer sous sa raquette 5 balles de matches. Il l'emporte finalement à la 6e sur son service. Score final : 1/6, 7/6, 6/4. Ce soir, c'est Valium pour tout le monde.

Poor Paulo
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Vialator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #72
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Mathieu shows Nadal is not unbeatable on clay
Sat Jun 3, 2006 8:30 PM BST

By Julien Pretot

PARIS, June 3 (Reuters) - France's Paul-Henri Mathieu, defeated 5-7 6-4 6-4 6-4 by Rafael Nadal on Saturday, has shown the French Open champion is not unbeatable on clay.

Mathieu, seeded 29, was one set up after winning a 93-minute battle before the Spaniard took control of the third-round match.

The local favourite, however, said he did not play his best tennis.

"Had I played my best tennis I would have won the match. Physically and mentally, it was difficult but I've already played better," Mathieu told a news conference.

"If I had won this match I would have won the tournament. Nadal is the number one on clay court."

The Spaniard second seed was troubled by Mathieu, who kept attacking his backhand and tried to rush to the net.

"I had played him four times before. Each time he gave me good possibilities. He plays crosscourt with his forehand and I knew that," Mathieu said.

"When you play him, my advice would be not to be too impressed by him and show him you're on the court to beat him.

"He is very good on clay but not impossible to beat."

Mathieu hinted Nadal was still the favourite to retain his title despite having played almost five hours.

"I think he is used to play long matches. I don't think he is going to be tired," he said.

Nadal, who won Roland Garros on his debut last year, has yet to lose in Paris and is undefeated in his last 56 matches on clay.

Last edited by Ome : 06-04-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #73
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome
"Had I played my best tennis I would have won the match. Physically and mentally, it was difficult but I've already played better," Mathieu told a news conference.

"If I had won this match I would have won the tournament. Nadal is the number one on clay court."
OMG, Paulo!

I agree that he didn't play his best tennis however (although a lot of people on GM can't see that ). His serve wasn't at its best and he made some really unforced errors.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #74
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

oh, no, i still thought it is one of his best

for such a long match, even Rafa has made silly UEs, hasnt he? no one could play a 100% perfect match in that situation like theirs

i can understand why Paulo said those words no best, just better !!
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #75
country flag Ome

Day 7 - An interview with Paul Henri Mathieu
Saturday, June 3, 2006
Player Overview

Q. You feel like you let fly this one, that you can win at the end?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, I mean, I think I had my chances. I think he play good few games each time at the end of the sets. He deserved to win today.

Q. Your game plan was basically to attack his backhand?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: I think he have a better forehand than backhand, so I try to go to his backhand more, just try to make him miss, go to the net to his backhand.

Q. Can you think of any other player that you have played in your time on the tour who physically can do what Nadal can do over four or five hours each match?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: No. I play many, almost everyone. That the only one.

Q. For you, what do you learn about yourself? What can you learn about yourself from a match like this where you obviously gave everything you had to give?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: What can I learn? I don't know. If I had win this match, maybe I could win the tournament one day. That's a positive thing.

Q. How do you think the fans influenced your performance today? Do you leave the court disappointed after this game?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, I mean, the first thing I think, yeah, I want to win more than anything. I think I play a great match. We play for a long time.

Tomorrow I will be more positive, for sure.

Q. And about the fans?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, I mean, is great to play on the center court here, especially when you're French. Was great, yeah.

Q. If you play that kind of match against Federer, do you think you may beat Federer? With this kind of match, you can beat any player in the world except Nadal?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: I think Nadal is No. 1 on clay court. If I beat him today, I think I can beat anyone, yeah.

Q. What did you think happened in the third set when Nadal called for the doctor?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: I don't know, this is very strange. We call a trainer at 5‑4, 15‑All. Strange thing. I don't know what happens.

Q. How did that affect you?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: I mean, is difficult to talk about the rules. For my part, I think you have to wait at least the end of the games to receive your treatment, not during the game at 15‑All, 5‑4 in the third set. I mean, this is tough.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. Do you think maybe you are helping the players that are going to play against Nadal because you probably have taken a lot of his energy?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Well, I think he's used to playing for long matches. I remember in Monte‑Carlo he had played four hours. I remember in Barcelona. He was just training twice on the Monday. I don't think he's going to be tired. I don't think it's going to make any difference.

Q. Do you have the feeling that you gave your best tennis today, at least during the first set and during the match in general?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: No. If it had been my best tennis, I would have won. During the first set, the end of the first set was good. I had good shots. He always played well at the beginning of this set. It was very intense. It was difficult to hold the rhythm physically and mentally.

It's difficult to keep the same level and the same rhythm for nearly five hours. I think I played well, but I have played better.

Q. How did you manage to save so many breakpoints? I think it's eight. They are important points. Each time you saved them. Where do you find the energy for that?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Well, I was trying to control the game. I was trying to forget that they were breakpoints. You're trying to play each point, and you even sometimes forget the score. I was so focused that I knew I had no possibility of letting go of anything.

Q. Do you have the feeling your tactics were good? Did you use your game plan against him?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: I had played against him a number of times. Each time I played with the same tactic. It gave me good possibilities. It was never an easy victory for him.

It's very difficult because he plays cross‑court on his forehand. I knew all that, so it helped.

Q. You were trying early in the rallies. Was that the tactic?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. Sometimes you are going to want to finish very quickly. This is where you fail. This was my problem in the previous matches. In a way, it was my problem today as well. I tried to be more patient.

Q. How were you as far as physical resistance was concerned? You looked still fine in the fourth set.

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, I was still okay and quite fit.

Q. What would you say to a player asking you what has to be done to beat Nadal on clay, which would give an indication for your own game for the future?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: First of all, not to be overimpressed by him. You have to show him that you are there on the court to beat him. That's No. 1. He's very, very good on clay, but I don't think it's impossible to beat him. It's difficult, but it's not impossible.

For a middle range player, it seems that his level is so high that it's impossible, but he can be beaten.

Q. Can you already have a sense of that sort of level before?

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. Against him in Dubai, the first set in Dubai against him. The intensity of the game was the same. It was much shorter, but I was aware of the fact that I had to be there all the time at the beginning of the second set. He's always there with the same rhythm, the same intensity.

Q. You had a number of breakpoints that you had to save.

PAUL HENRI MATHIEU: Well, he's always returning and very often with a lift on the ball. It was not a main problem to return on his serve, that was not the main problem I had today.

Last edited by Ome : 06-04-2006 at 01:05 PM.