Articles & Interviews - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-13-2005, 03:16 AM   #16
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsa
True. And Grosjean is known not to be a "hard-worker" so that's what i thought too hearing those commentaries. They often make fun of him because of that. I read the L'Equipe article you're talking about with the "i've never been with such an hard-worker before" quote from Tuslane. I think that would make sense. But don't think that was direclty against Paulo even if it's close to be. But he didn't want a DC coach who can have an influence on DC selections of players to work with a player on the tour. In short, he wanted to still be able to give crappy excuses not to take part in a DC tie when he wants to and still be one of the first choices for selection, knowing that a lot of French players more motivated by DC than him are coming strong and that he may not be that "undisputable" in the future... Maybe i'm going too far. I don't know...

I feel like a bad detective...
I'm guilty myself. I was going to say that Seb probably didn't want to play the Russia tie because of the coaching issue (maybe he wanted to protest or he wasn't sure he would play or something), but I didn't want to offend the Seb fans.

In any case, it's really disappointing that there is such pettiness in the team. Whoever it is (it may not be Seb) brought the team down in a way since Paulo was troubled by it and couldn't play well.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 AM   #17
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Rogers Cup - Interviews

P-H MATHIEU/K. Beck

6-2, 6-1

An interview with:

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU

THE MODERATOR: Paul-Henri advances to his first career ATP Masters Series semifinal. He is also the third Frenchman to reach the semifinals in the Open Era here in Canada, the first since Fabrice Santoro in 2001, and also Patrick Proisy in 1972.
Questions for Paul-Henri.

Q. Could you tell us, how did you end up at Bollettieri's?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I was in Bollettieri when I was 15. I left when I was 18. I went back in France, and I had the opportunity to be coached by Thierry Champion. That's why I left.

Q. Why did you go there in the first place?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Because when you are kid, is a dream to go in Bollettieri, just to practice, to see the other players.
I think it's a good school.

Q. Do you feel like you're practically playing in front of a hometown crowd here?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Here? No, I mean, because the people speak French?

Q. Yes.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, I mean, all the French guy, I think we feel good here because many people speak French. I don't know exactly if I feel like a Canadian when I'm playing. But I know the crowd was with me today. It helped, for sure.

Q. It looked like another relatively easy win against a tough opponent. It looked towards the end of the match you were really waiting that extra second on every ball to wait for Karol to move, then put it into the open court. Was it your plan to wait a little longer?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: In the beginning, I knew he played two tough matches so I tried to make him move and do not miss so much. At the end it was difficult because he was going for everything, so I try to put the ball in play and just keep him moving.

Q. He's been on the side courts the entire tournament. You started off against Roddick on centre court. Do you think that made you feel more comfortable?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, for sure it helped me a little bit. When you play on centre court in the first match, you know a little bit the court. I knew the crowd little bit, so it helped little bit, for sure.

Q. Is the centre court a little faster?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't think so. I play on the central court and Court BN. It's fast, too.

Q. You've had a lot of injuries in your career. Are you healthy now?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Hope so (smiling). No, I mean, I started playing good in 2002. Right after that, I pull a muscle in abdominal, so I was ?? I didn't play for four months, then I start playing again. When I was playing good again, I got injured in my wrist, left wrist. I stopped for seven months. It's exactly one year I start to play again, so I started in the same period last year.
Is not easy to come back. You have to do everything from zero. You have to play the small tournaments again, play the quallies. Is not easy.

Q. Once you get back to where you are now, it becomes easier?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No, because you want always to go better. I was 30 before, so I hope I can go more.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #18
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to say that i have nothing against Seb. But everybody knows that between him and DC, it's not a "love story"...The only problems he have are tied to this competition and the members of his team...
Thank you for the interview, Silverwhite! Still have to progress in English Paulo for someone who spent 3 years of his teenage years at Bollitieri's...
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #19
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsa
I'd like to say that i have nothing against Seb.
Me neither. I just wish that things will get better within the DC team.
I was a bit shocked by the comments of Paulo when he said that all this story about him and Hagelauer had perturbed him during the DC match agaisnt Russia.

Anyway, now that he has a new coach , things seem to turn out right!
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #20
country flag Magali

Magali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Compared to yesterday, you played the same match but with a totally different score. Yesterday we had the impression that Olivier hit very hard. Now there were many more highs and lows.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I knew he was like that, the nonchalant type at times. I had played him at Queen's. He did the same thing. I lost the first set, won the second set. That's a danger against this type of player. We have the impression that he only tries a little, halfway, doesn't give his full effort, then when he has a chance, he passes you. I really tried to stay concentrated the whole match. Thanks to that, he could not come back into the match.

Q. Today your serves were for sure an element on which you could build.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, for sure, and it helped me a lot. But since the beginning of the week, I served well. When we can count on a good first serve, it's important and it helps, even for the rest of the match.

Q. It's your first Masters Series semifinal.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes.

Q. Can you tell us how you feel achieving this.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I'm very happy. It's obvious I did not think coming here that I would be still playing in the semifinals. Today I am. We always want to go further in the tournament. It's true that I'm very happy to be there today.

Q. What is the explanation of the success that you experience this week?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Like I said yesterday, there's no secret. If there was one, we would do it week in and week out. It's true that I experienced a period of time where I didn't win many matches, so I was bound to win at one moment or another. I trained very hard. Today I'm seeing the results of this hard work.

Q. Can we say that in the weeks before this tournament, you were really deep in trouble as far as your play is concerned, even more importantly so than when you were injured?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's quite different than when I was hurt. I know that after Davis Cup it was a difficult period. I was very sad to have lost those matches. The reaction to this is either you let go and you go deeper in the hole and it's very difficult to come back. But when I went to Stuttgart, I made an effort to overcome this feeling that I had and I won a match. Right there it put me right back on track. I could train a few days on hard before coming here, and it helped me. I really wanted to bounce back.

Q. Do you think it was a very important effort of your will to bounce back after what you experienced?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't think so. It takes an effort, but I've made efforts that were much more important than this.

Q. Would you say also one reason for your success is the peace of mind that you have found again with the arrival of Thierry Tulasne as a trainer?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Physically I think that I'm a little better than I was before. I had a difficult period after Davis Cup. I was a little tired, but I feel better now. Since I'm with Thierry, I feel much better. When you have someone by your side to talk with, it helps a lot. It helps to bring peace of mind.

Q. Would you say that playing on hard is less difficult than playing on clay?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's true that I like clay, but when you are physically fit, you can play well on either surface. I've played very well in indoor tournaments as well before today.

Q. Can you say a few words about your next opponent, even though we don't know who it is yet. Is Nadal someone you know well?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I've seen him quite often on TV. I have watched many of his matches. He's a very good player. He's No. 2. Maybe he will become No. 1. He played well on clay, but he's showing us that he is playing quite well on hard also. He has a very strong mental state.

Q. What can you do to beat him?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I think when you play a player like him, you have to be strong mentally. You must show him that you are as present on the court as he is, as intense as he is, that you are on court to win also.

Q. His opponent Puerta, you've played him before?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Did I play him before? I don't remember. No. It's even more surprising that Puerta is still here. It's not a surprise when you win a lot of matches on clay, eventually you do well on hard. There are quite a few South Americans doing well. They are very confident, and that helps their game. They are dangerous on any surface.

Q. There are eight players from France in the main draw, if I'm not mistaken. I suspect there must be a competition amongst you, who will do the best.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: They're not here. They've left.

Q. No one stayed to watch you?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Richard is here still. He will leave tomorrow. There's no competition amongst us. We all try and win as often as we can. We had French players playing each other second round, which was good. That made sure one of us was third round. We're always happy when there are many French players. If there is a competition, it's a very healthy competition amongst us.

Q. You had a lot of success in the Juniors and your first year on the ATP Tour. Do you want to use the success that you are experiencing this week to show the world that you can be top 10?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: In the Juniors I only had one success. I won Roland Garros. But I played very well in 2002. I had good results. It's the first time I am playing so well in a Masters Series. I hope to continue and to do more of the same in the next weeks.

Q. Do you know the difference in your ranking that these results here will bring?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No. Last year I played in August and had a few points there. I'm happy to say that I defended all those points from last August. In a year, it's not easy to go down to 50 in the world. We play three, four months. Today I'm very happy to be back ranked amongst the 50 best players. I hope to have an even better ranking. It's difficult to know the difference in ranking that I will have now because everybody is so close to one another in the rankings. You cannot think that you'll be in the top 10 easily in a year or so. First you want to be in the top 50. Actually I became in the 40s. It's very difficult to have a specific goal as far as ranking is concerned when you start a new year. Most people never think about the ranking. Unfortunately, it's like this, but it's the same for everybody.

Q. You have admitted coming here to Montreal you did not think you'd be in the semifinals.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's true that I had not won many matches and that I was just coming out from a difficult period. But to say that I would be in the semifinals, I had never expected that. But today I will profit from this and I hope to continue. I did not expect this at all.

End of FastScripts….
Magali is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #21
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview Magali
Old 08-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #22
country flag *julie*

Rogers Cup - Interviews

R. NADAL /P. Mathieu

6-4, 7-5

Q. You gave him his hardest match of the tournament so far. You must feel pretty happy with the way you played.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, I will be more if I was winning. But, no, I think -- no, I mean, is great. He played a tough match. I didn't play so well at the beginning of the match. I was a little bit nervous. That's why I missed some easy balls. And then I tried to come back. Is not easy against a player like this.

Q. What is the best way to play him? He's so difficult to play.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't think it's his tennis, but I think physically he's very strong. I don't know, I mean, he's running a lot. I mean, you have to wait five, six, seven balls to win one point. I think that's why he's so good.

Q. Did you try to take more chances and go for your shots a bit more?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. But I think sometimes I force myself little bit too much. That's why I miss. I wanted to go for too much. Because he is running so well, that's why. That's why I think he make me miss some easy balls.

Q. Do you think he's the No. 2 player in the world now? Do you think he'll become one of the all-time great?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: If he's No. 2 today, I think. I think he deserve it. I think Federer is very good, too.

I don't know, today he's No. 2. Maybe he's going to become No. 1. But I think there are some great players right now in the circuit. For sure today he's one of the best.

Q. When you broke him in the second set, did you think you had a chance to get back into it?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. I mean, when I was losing one set and one break, it was tough to come back. When I broke him at 5-4, I knew I had a chance. I play a bad game with two double-faults. I still had my chance at 6-5, I think. But that's the way.

Q. What does this tournament do for your confidence from here on out, for upcoming tournaments? How do you think this will affect you from now on?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, for sure this will give me a lot of confidence for the future. And I hope for next week I can play again a great tournament. Yeah, I mean, I will try to do better maybe next week. It will be tough, but we never know.

And then after, my main goal, it's the US Open .
Old 08-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #23
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Back from holiday, I'm glad to see Paulo's is in a good form. He beat Roddick, wowwww

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #24
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
=Still have to progress in English Paulo for someone who spent 3 years of his teenage years at Bollitieri's...
Why ? You noticed faults ? Or his vocabulary ?
I'd like to listen to him in oral...

Guy Forget
Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #25
country flag *julie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
Why ? You noticed faults ? Or his vocabulary ?
I'd like to listen to him in oral...
Hi Marine nice to see you back
Here there is some audio interviews of Paulo in Montreal MS in french and in english:
http://www.rogerscupmen.com/english/...udio/audio.asp
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #26
country flag silverwhite

Much better than Richard. Seb lives in Florida and even he speaks English with a heavy French accent.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #27
country flag Magali

Magali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond reputeMagali has a reputation beyond repute

WESTERN AND SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS
CINCINNATI, OHIO

August 16, 2005

P. MATHIEU/T. Haas
6-3, 2-6, 6-1

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Paul-Henri Mathieu.

Q. Talk about your serve today. It seemed like you really had him off balance from the get-go.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: My serve, no, I think I serve good at the beginning of the match. Then it let me a little bit down in the second set, and I serve really good in the third set. So it's help a lot when you have a good serve.

Q. Talk about the nice little roll you're on right now. You're beating a lot of high-ranked guys. You must feel pretty confident right now?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, I had a very good week last week. So for sure, I mean, it give me some confidence for this week even if the condition are a little bit different. So I just try to keep going.

Q. When you were growing up, were there any French players that you admired? Who were some of your favorite players on the tour?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: When I was...?

Q. When you were growing up.

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: My favorite player was Boris Becker, so...

Q. Did you watch Yannick Noah? Was that before your time?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, yeah. When he won the French Open, I was one years old so...

Q. Must have seen a tape?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No, I didn't even see the tape.

Q. Do you have a relationship with Monfils?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, yeah. With Monfils, Gasquet and a lot of French players. I think we have a good relation. I think that's good for us.

Q. Is it nice to see all the French players doing well particularly in the hard court season?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, I mean, I think we are -- at the beginning of the year we were a lot about 100 in the world, and now everybody is going up. So I hope it will be -- I mean it will continue, yes.

Q. What's your favorite surface to play on?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I like every one. I like to play on clay because the French Open. But I like hard court, too. I like to play in indoors, too. I like every one.

Q. Do you have any type of relationship with Monfils? Have you hit with him? Do you see him in the locker room? Do you talk to him?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, we talk to each other. I mean, he's -- yeah, yeah. He's like Gasquet. All the French player, I mean, we are together sometimes. We go out for dinner.

Q. You talked about being more confident. Is there any part of your game that you feel like has really improved during the summer?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I think, yeah, since last week I start to serve really good. I mean, that the shot I improve a lot I think in the last few weeks.

Q. Do you enjoy taking on these big shots and beating them? You've been beating a lot of the high-ranked players. Do you enjoy the challenge of playing the big players?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, of course. That is what we play tennis for. I mean, yeah, I enjoy it and I hope to beat some more great players. I hope I will be continuing.

Q. You say you like clay. Do you feel like you have a hard court game? You feel pretty comfortable on the surface, you can play pretty well on it?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: On hard? Yeah, ten times better results on hard courts. I won two tournaments in indoors, so it's even faster than here. I think I'm better on the fast surface. But when I am very good physically, I'm good on clay court, too.

Q. You're going to New Haven next week. Are you pretty excited, the way you're playing, going into that tournament?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I don't think about New Haven yet. I mean, I am here in this week and I hope I will go far.

End of FastScripts….
Old 08-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #28
country flag *julie*

Thank you Magali. Where did you find this interview? I couldn't find any on the cincy website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali

Q. Do you have a relationship with Monfils?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, yeah. With Monfils, Gasquet and a lot of French players. I think we have a good relation. I think that's good for us.

(...)

Q. Do you have any type of relationship with Monfils? Have you hit with him? Do you see him in the locker room? Do you talk to him?

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yeah, we talk to each other. I mean, he's -- yeah, yeah. He's like Gasquet. All the French player, I mean, we are together sometimes. We go out for dinner.
Two questions about Monfils It seems they are obsessed with him...
Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #29
country flag Magali

here http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/05cincy.html
Old 08-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #30
country flag Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
Thank you Magali. Where did you find this interview? I couldn't find any on the cincy website

Two questions about Monfils It seems they are obsessed with him...
Exactly what I was thinking. What's the problem with Gael ? LOL