Articles & Interviews - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #166
country flag *Ally*

*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute*Ally* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

L'Equipe today :

*Ally* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #167
country flag JBdV

JBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article. Thanks
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Tennis Tipping 2009 Results:
Singles: Cherbourg CH W
Doubles: ...
JBdV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #168
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

How interesting?

Translating article takes a lot out of me I tried my dictionary opening skill for the past hour but I'm hopeless :retard:
Only get that difference between him and Davy/Robredo part

Can someone summarize it in English... please?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #169
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, interesting indeed. Thanks Ally.

Briefly, they wonder about how Mathieu has such a low ranking... He beat more top 10 than Gasquet or Grosjean but he never get higer then 32nd. (there are some interesting stats at the bottom of the article.)
Paulo says that beating top players shows that he doesn't fear any player. But it was not enouch to climb in the rankings.

He mainly regrets some results of last year: "if I had beaten Coria in Monte Carlo and Nadal in Roland Garros ( ) I would be somewhere else. I missed 2/3 trains which would have made me enter the top 10".

Champion says that with these stats, Paulo should be in the top 30. "My job is to convince him that he deserves more than what he is today. We had a deal together to make him a top 15 player. So their priority is now to work on constancy.

The article says that foreign players or coaches often ask them "How is it that Mathieu is not in the top 20?" The difference between him and players of the same age like Davydenko or Robredo is not the potential, the game or the fitness but the constancy.

Then the journalist talks about the tough match against Roger Vasselin ranked 167th or his defeat in Gstaad last year against Vemic (460th) but Paulo explains that "except Nadal and Federer, every player has 2/3 bad defeats each year".

Champion said it's not a mental thing. "If Paulo had no mental, he would have never came back after his 2002 dc defeat and all his injuries. If he had no mental, he would have lost today."

Hagelauer who had coached Paulo several times said "Paulo has everything to get to the top. The only thing he lacks of is confidence... but confidence is the "aspirine" of the players. Actually, he is like Guy Forget who took his time before emerging; because, like Paulo, he wanted to play "too well" and tensed up." If the comparison works, it's the good year for Paulo.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #170
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Ally for the article. And thank you, Julie for the version that I can fully make sense of

At first, I thought I misunderstood the part about the deal to get Paulo into top15. I was like... Top 15!!??!!
I like it, though. He should have the goal and know what he's playing for exactly. I guess it's easier to motivate himself.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #171
country flag JBdV

JBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond reputeJBdV has a reputation beyond repute

One to remember, from lequipe.fr:

ATP - Casablanca - Mathieu roi du Maroc
Cinq ans après son dernier titre, le Français Paul-Henri Mathieu s'est imposé dimanche dans le tournoi de Casablanca, en battant en finale l'Espagnol Albert Montanes (6-1, 6-1). Mathieu, 57e à l'ATP, n'a pas éprouvé de difficultés pour s'offrir son troisième titre sur le circuit (après Lyon et Moscou en 2002), face à un adversaire pourtant à son aise sur terre battue (demi-finaliste à Houston et Vina Del Mar, notamment).

Après avoir remporté aisément le premier set, le Français, tête de série numéro 8, prenait d'emblée le service de Montanes. Celui-ci s'offrait sur le jeu suivant sa seule balle de break de la partie, mais Mathieu sauvait le coup et menait bientôt 2-0. A l'image d'un match dans lequel il s'est montré très fébrile, Montanes commettait ensuite trois fautes directes consécutives sur sa mise en jeu, donnant de nouvelles opportunités à Mathieu qui ne se privait pas pour filer vers la victoire, avec un set et deux breaks d'avance. La fin de rencontre était à l'unisson, l'Espagnol apportant même le titre sur un plateau au Français, qui bénéficiait d'une double faute sur sa deuxième balle de match.

Tennis Tipping 2009 Results:
Singles: Cherbourg CH W
Doubles: ...
JBdV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #172
country flag Ome

From ATPtenni.com

Mathieu Routs Montanes to Capture Third ATP Title

Eighth-seeded Paul-Henri Mathieu cruised to his third career ATP title on Sunday in the Grand Prix Hassan II in Casablanca as he defeated Spaniard Albert Montanes (pictured) 6-1, 6-1.

Mathieu converted five of 13 break points in the 62-minute match and the Frenchman saved the only break point he faced.

The 25-year-old Frenchman improved his career record to 3-1 in ATP finals and it was his first title since winning in back-to-back weeks in Moscow (d. Schalken) and Lyon (d. Kuerten) in October 2002. His last final was in Palermo in 2003 (l. to Massu).

Mathieu only lost seven points on his seven service games, winning 17 of 18 on first serve points. Meanwhile, Montanes won only 21 percent of his second serve points and he double faulted five times.

Mathieu took a 5-0 lead and broke Montanes in the second and fourth games. In the second set Mathieu took a 4-0 lead, breaking Montanes in the first and third games. Mathieu broke again in the last game of the match, as Montanes double faulted twice in a row, also on match point.
Mathieu is the second French winner on the ATP circuit this year, joining Gilles Simon, who won in Marseille in February. And he also is the first Frenchman to win the Casablanca title since Julien Boutter in 2003.

The 26-year-old Montanes was appearing in his fourth career ATP final (0-4), all on clay, and his last ATP final was in Acapulco two years ago (l. to Nadal).

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Mathieu: "Playing a final is never easy. Today I got a good start and this helped me a lot. It's great to get off to a good start in the clay court season and I hope that I'll keep on playing well in the upcoming weeks, especially during the Masters Series events in Rome and Hamburg and of course also in Roland Garros. I'll try to defend my title here in Casablanca next year."

Montanes: "It was a very difficult match from the beginning on. Paul-Henri played well and I didn't really manage to find my way into the match. I'm happy that I've reached the final here in Casablanca and I'm looking forward to playing in Estoril next week.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #173
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

happy that paulo became "the King of Morrocco" ,its my parents country and mine too.Good for him to win that Finale that way.Very positive.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #174
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

L'équipe today:

CASABLANCA (ATP, terre battue)

Une si longue attente…

Après de nombreux contretemps, le Français a enfin donné une descendance à son doublé Moscou-Lyon de 2002.

CASABLANCA – (MAR)

de notre envoyé spécial

À VINGT ANS, Paul-Henri Mathieu avait fracassé la coquille. En quinze jours, le pitchoun avait triomphé à Moscou et à Lyon. Un mois plus tard, c’était le coup de cafard, la défaite tristement épique contre Youzhny en finale de Coupe Davis. Puis quatre saisons ont passé, entre clair et foncé mais sans le moindre titre. Hier, en écrasant l’Espagnol Albert Montanes (6-1, 6-1), PHM s’est lancé dans le troisième acte de sa carrière.

ACTE I

MOSCOU-LYON 2002, L’ENFANT ROI. – L’automne venu, tout le monde se trouva bien dépourvu pour refroidir ce gamin qui frappe aussi fort dans la balle que sur son cœur. Première déflagration à Moscou, réplique sismique à Lyon. En seize jours, treize victoires, deux titres : toute la presse a la joie de publier l’extrait de naissance d’un « phénomène ». Paris Match se penche sur son histoire et Fogiel l’invite à sa table. « C’était mon rêve de gosse qui se réalisait, décrit aujourd’hui Mathieu. J’étais dans un état second. Je me sentais presque invincible. En fait, j’étais sûr et certain que j’étais lancé et que j’allais tout casser. »
Il grimpe au 36e rang mondial, Guy Forget l’habille en titulaire pour la finale de Coupe Davis à Bercy contre la Russie, et vlan ! Mathieu s’affale contre Youzhny lors du simple décisif après avoir mené deux manches à rien. C’est la première cicatrice, le début des ennuis.

ACTE II

2003-2006, TOUT ET RIEN. – En quelques semaines, Mathieu fait connaissance avec les critiques et la blessure. Pendant trois mois, il est hors d’usage à cause d’abdos en compote. Après, rien ne sera plus comme avant. Séparé d’avec Thierry Champion à l’été 2003, « Paulo » devient un élastique, capable de s’étirer jusqu’au très haut, le temps de quelques perles, capable aussi du contraire.

Fin 2003, il s’envase (83e mondial) et un an plus tard, salement blessé au poignet droit, il explore même le sous-sol (123e). Il ne peut disputer Roland-Garros 2004. « C’est la pire période. Là, j’étais très mal. Je me repliais sur moi, je ne parlais plus et je ne trouvais pas de porte de sortie. Je n’ai jamais voulu jouer au tennis pour être 80e ou 100e. Mon rêve, c’était pas ça. »Dans son malheur, Mathieu entrevoit ponctuellement une lueur. C’est sans doute ce qui l’a sauvé. « Pour la demi-finale de Coupe Davis à Alicante en 2004, Guy m’appelle alors que je suis 80e. Même moi, je trouvais ça limite anormal. Et puis, seul contre tout le monde dans cette arène, je bats Moya. Là, je me dis : “C’est pas possible, j’ai un truc.” » Et l’espoir de revenir à la hauteur de son rêve revient à la vie. Alors il bosse. Matin, midi et soir. « Il est un des athlètes les plus pros du circuit, considère Olin Jacobellis, l’un de ses agents. C’est impensable le soin qu’il porte à son hygiène de vie. C’est pour ça que je suis sûr que lorsqu’il entrera dans le top 10 il s’y installera pour un bon moment. » Peut-être, mais nous sommes à la fin de l’année 2006 et Mathieu n’a plus connu de finale depuis septembre 2003 à Palerme. Et il est 53e.

ACTE III

CASABLANCA 2007, LE REBOND. – Octobre, l’an dernier. Ça ne va pas fort et Mathieu décide d’employer les grands moyens. Il remercie Thierry Tulasne et se rabiboche avec Thierry Champion. Il retrouve de l’élan, bat trois top 10 et connaît, enfin, sa semaine faste à Casablanca. « Je la sentais venir, confia-t-il hier. J’avais un niveau moyen très élevé et, en regardant le tableau ici, je me disais que personne ne me faisait peur. Voilà, je me sentais fort. »
La finale ne fut qu’une formalité. Premier set : mené 5-0 en dix-sept minutes, Montanes sauve vaguement la face (6-1) mais ne grappille qu’un misérable point sur le service de l’Alsacien. Second set : Mathieu doit simplement négocier un instant critique quand, à 1-0, l’Espagnol se procure une balle de débreak. Une fausse alerte, un détail. Puis un cri du cœur, une bise à son entraîneur, un baise-main à Quiterie, sa chérie, et le sentiment que la roue tourne. « Quand j’ai gagné, j’ai d’abord pensé à moi. À toutes mes galères, tous ces sacrifices… Tout ça, ce n’était pas pour rien. Ici, je n’ai jamais surjoué. Ça veut dire que j’ai encore des cartouches. À chacun de mes matches, j’ai eu un flottement, plus ou moins ennuyeux, mais j’avais presque l’impression d’avoir encore le frein à main. » Et quand il l’abaissera complètement, qu’arrivera-t-il ? « Personne ne le sait, sourit-il. Mais moi j’en rêve. »

FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS

I'll translate it later.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #175
country flag *julie*

Champion's reaction from l'équipe too:

« Un vrai bon mec »

THIERRY CHAMPION entraînait déjà Mathieu quand ce dernier remporta ses deux titres coup sur coup à Moscou et à Lyon en 2002. Sa parole est d’or.

CASABLANCA –

de notre envoyé spécial

« LÀ, JE RESSENS de l’émotion. D’abord pour lui parce qu’il a dû attendre longtemps avant ce troisième titre et qu’il a traversé des passes difficiles. Paulo, c’est ce qu’on appelle un vrai bon mec. De Moscou et de Lyon en 2002, il me reste le souvenir d’un déclic. Avant, il était très fort à l’entraînement, mais il coinçait dans les tournois. Je crois qu’il cherchait ses limites et qu’il ne les soupçonnait pas. Ensuite, en juin 2003, on s’est séparés. Parce que l’histoire avec lui, je ne la sentais plus. Son entourage de l’époque le caressait dans le sens du poil et il supportait moins mon discours. Je n’étais pas là pour lui dire qu’il était le plus beau. C’est marrant parce que notre engueulade avait eu lieu ici, à Casablanca, après une défaite contre Lisnard. Mais, même quand je ne me suis plus occupé de lui, jamais je n’ai arrêté de croire en lui.

Quand on a repris ensemble, je l’ai trouvé plus mûr, davantage capable de se livrer et de faire des choix forts. Aujourd’hui, on a des discussions où on va plus au fond des choses. Il s’est détendu ; il a vingt-cinq ans, c’est normal. Ce que j’ai compris depuis peu, c’est qu’il avait besoin d’objectifs précis. Alors, en février dernier, on s’est parlé entre quatre yeux. On a tablé sur une place dans le top 15 en fin d’année et trois titres dans la saison. Ça fait déjà un ! » – F. Be.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #176
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting story between Paulo and Champion...

But it's just Casablanca. Let's not get carried away.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #177
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its just casablanca but he understand something important there: that he can do it again,he can win a tournament again.Now he will play with this belief,that he can play very well.I think he need to believe in himself and wins will help him.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #178
country flag Ome

I don't really care if it's Casablanca
He's been through so much during the past 5 years. To see him wining a title again after all this time - yes, I know it's Casablanca - it feels so much bigger than Casa to me

He's been fighting so hard that I still can't imagine how he did it. This title means a whole lot more than ranking point and prize money if you ask me.

Thanks, Julie for the article and the translation that will follow

I dreamed about him kissing Quiterie last night, this kind of ruining everything!

I remember seeing Marat in the Open Access show tried to steal Champion away from Paulo! Thank God, he failed Champion
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #179
country flag grosjeanlol

grosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy for Paulo... He deserves it !! I think now he knows what he can do and we will see in Estoril how he will do against Gonzalez... Let's go Paulo
I'm really happy to see him smiling..

www.paul-henri-mathieu.over-blog.com
grosjeanlol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #180
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome View Post
I don't really care if it's Casablanca
He's been through so much during the past 5 years. To see him wining a title again after all this time - yes, I know it's Casablanca - it feels so much bigger than Casa to me

He's been fighting so hard that I still can't imagine how he did it. This title means a whole lot more than ranking point and prize money if you ask me.
Just don't get your hopes up too high
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote