Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nalbandian must take his chance!!!!

970 views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Dirk 
#1 ·
I think this is the best oppurtunity for David Nalbandian to make himself the real deal, (which he has been threatening for 3 years now) i feel the nearly man of tennis has the tools to be constintly in the top 4-5 and with the big name casultys in the Rogers Cup, He now needs to stand up and be counted, I think this will be his best oppurtunity to win a big title and this could launch his confidence and for him to take the next step in the majors, starting with the US Open.
I think he can take Nadal out on this surface if he produces his best tennis, also a few outsiders will be looking at the draw thinking this could be there week and a couple of dark horses i would watch would be Thomas Johannsen and Juan Carlos.
But i really hope this is Nalbandian's week SO COME ON DAVID THIS IS YOUR WEEK PROVE ME RIGHT!!!!!!!
what do you guys think

#2 ·
No, it's his first tournament after a break and it's a TMS event, it's a big ask to expect to him win this event.

Tell me if Nalbandian doesn't win, is he finished?

#4 ·
Was that question for real but knowing your style of conversation and where Nalbandian stands in the game i doubt it. (will he be finished if he doesn't win??)

You say no i totally disagree, did you see his game with Chela and the confidence he has after beating Hewitt i feel he is the favourite with Nadal and Agassi (we haven't seen Agassi against a top player on this surface yet intrested to see how he does after his comeback)

I feel Nalbandian needs to look at the draw and see no Roddick-Federer-Hewitt or Safin it's not often this happens at the second round stage of such a big tournement, and it is defintly not a too bigger ask for Nalbandian to win this event, you say it's to soon after his break, Nalbandian is a world class tennis player with the players remaining who would you have above him to win?? Like i say arguably Agassi and Nadal but there are alot of question marks hanging over these guys heads, such as is Nadal the real deal on this surface yet??( i feel Moya should have beat him) and Agassi's age and lack of tennis recently. So i don't see why Nalbandian cant win the event??

#5 ·
I'm not sure if David is even looking at who's left-only that he has a match to play today (two as a matter of fact), and he must concentrate on that match. The other matches will take care of themselves if he stays in this moment.

#6 ·
skel1983 said:
Was that question for real but knowing your style of conversation and where Nalbandian stands in the game i doubt it. (will he be finished if he doesn't win??)
You were the one writing off Henman as finished ( no I am far from a Tim fan), so it stands to reason.

If you actually watched a lot of Nalbandian's matches this year overall, there have been some good performances and some shitty ones and has lacked consistency this season, therefore thinking he is a favourite just cause of one performance in the tournament so far and there are plenty of players who can beat him.

If Nalbandian looks at the draw, then he'll lose for sure. The 1 match at a time cliche is apt especially in this case.

#7 ·
skel1983 said:

You say no i totally disagree, did you see his game with Chela and the confidence he has after beating Hewitt i feel he is the favourite with Nadal and Agassi (we haven't seen Agassi against a top player on this surface yet intrested to see how he does after his comeback)

I feel Nalbandian needs to look at the draw and see no Roddick-Federer-Hewitt or Safin it's not often this happens at the second round stage of such a big tournement, and it is defintly not a too bigger ask for Nalbandian to win this event, you say it's to soon after his break, Nalbandian is a world class tennis player with the players remaining who would you have above him to win?? Like i say arguably Agassi and Nadal but there are alot of question marks hanging over these guys heads, such as is Nadal the real deal on this surface yet??( i feel Moya should have beat him) and Agassi's age and lack of tennis recently. So i don't see why Nalbandian cant win the event??
I don't see David winning this event.
Sure he can take out Nadal, but his game is too conserved to defeat Agassi.

To beat Andre, you need a flawless game like Roger's. Or a hard-hitting one, such as Marat's. Pure tactic and consistency won't win him this event.

#8 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
If Nalbandian looks at the draw, then he'll lose for sure. The 1 match at a time cliche is apt especially in this case.
Indeed. If he started looking ahead, then he will lose focus-and the match as a result. He needs to concentrate on now, not tomorrow or even Sunday's final. If he makes Sunday's final, then great. I'm not going to declare him winner yet.

#9 ·
sigmagirl91 said:
Indeed. If he started looking ahead, then he will lose focus-and the match as a result. He needs to concentrate on now, not tomorrow or even Sunday's final. If he makes Sunday's final, then great. I'm not going to declare him winner yet.
I can even agree with the Andre Agassi propaganda minister about David not winning this event, if he does, that will be great, but I doubt he'll do it.

#11 ·
Well the bookmakers seem to disagree and there are usually right wouldn't you agree or are you going to disagree for the sake of it, because it's me??

Nadal is 6/4 Favourite Agassi 3/1 Nalbandian 6/1.

And going back to the Henman thing i mean he is looking awesome isn't he i feel he has a great chance of winning this event dont you agree, Oh he got beat again by a player who on paper is much inferior to him!!! Like i said before i am Tim's biggest fan but i am stating the obvious, but obviously your watching a different Henman play tennis at the moment.

The last time Henman lost 3 back 2 back atp tour matches was before 1999,(not even on clay and pre 2001 he wasen't the best on that surface) so his worst run for over 6 years do you not feel that the alarm bells are ringing just a little, but knowing you you'll have something up your sleeve to come back with.

#12 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
If you actually watched a lot of Nalbandian's matches this year overall, there have been some good performances and some shitty ones and has lacked consistency this season, therefore thinking he is a favourite just cause of one performance in the tournament so far and there are plenty of players who can beat him.
You think of his losses against Hanescu in this year's RG quarterfinals or against Santoro in the first round of the Roma MS, saying that?

#13 ·
skel1983 said:
Well the bookmakers seem to disagree and there are usually right wouldn't you agree or are you going to disagree for the sake of it, because it's me??
Bookmakers aren't always right and with the depleted field what else would they use as a market, no doubting that Roddick and Hewitt exiting in the 1st round changed their odds, look before the tournament started and there is no way Nalbandian was that short, if they thought he was so good, then he'd have been shorter in the odds then.

So what Henman is in bad form, it happens to players now and then.

#14 ·
delsa said:
You think of his losses against Hanescu in this year's RG quarterfinals or against Santoro in the first round of the Roma MS, saying that?
Well he got totally outplayed by Johansson at Wimbledon and didn't even look like winning that, then losing to Söderling on clay, he hasn't had great consistency this season and look at how well he is ranked.

#16 ·
skel1983 said:
That is my point exactly, with the big guns gone Nalbandian hes genuine chances, hense his shortening odds???? Like i said my post was to state he is a big threat and has a good chance of winning his first TMS.
No, you are just being alarmist as if he doesn't win here, his career is stuffed and if they believed and you believed in him so much, you'd have said before the event started and not after round 1.

#19 ·
I also belong to the fraction believing that David might do (very) well in this tourney. However, I have already predicted more than one breakthrough for him and none of these materialised, so I'll remain cautious. But I'll be very pleased if he does win the tournament.

#20 ·
well i feel that would be a bit biased so that's why i wanted a general view, i just feel this could be his week to pick a big one up.

Also i don't mean to come across as Nlabandian's career is over if he doesn't win this title but i think most you guys know that.
Nalbandian is a class act but always seems to come up short against the like's of Roddick and Federer in the big one's.
Nalbandian hasn't had the best season's i think we will all agree on that, but if he can big up a big title this could kick him on on give him the confidence and believe he can win the big one's on a consistant basis. I don't think i am wrong in this because there has been many threads such as the best player never to win a major?? and Nalbandian is constintly in the top 3 of these poll's, so the general concensus is he has the game to win the big one's but there is obviously something missing, so that's where i think he could push on with this oppurtunity with the guy's now not in this event. I know it's the old cliche of one game at a time, but do you really think players like Agassi,Nalbandian,ferrero etc haven't got a bit excited with the defeats of some of the top guys.

And as for my Nemesis i think you know who you are (only joking!!) i have backed up my Henman worries so don't pick at other points referring to that debate last week.

#23 · (Edited)
Much as I love David (and most people here on MTF know I do), - I don't think he has much chance of winning this tourney - if he can beat Beck tonight (which is not a foregone conclusion) then Davydenko in the next round is a tough opponent, who reached the RG semis this year. David's year has been very unpredictable as Sigma says - I saw his matches against Hanescu, Soderling, Santoro. Johannsoon etc live and he wa woeful in all of them. So - no - sorry - I don't see him winning this - not being horrible - just honest.

G
#24 ·
He won't have a better chance to win then this I agree - problem with Nalby is that I don't think he has it in him to string together the consistent performances to win the major titles as yet.

Hope it changes with this tournament.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.