My tour through Indonesia - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
country flag RogiNie

RogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool My tour through Indonesia

For the people who want to read it, here is it, my report of Indonesia: hope you'll enjoy reading it, though it's a bit long! I changed some smileys, coz I had to much of them

My tour through Indonesia 05-07-05 t/m 28-07-05

Tuesday 5 July
Today I would go to Indonesia, for holidays, with my parents, my two brothers and my brother’s girlfriend, we would travel first through Java, where we would have 7 hotels, and finally to Bali, our last stop.
At noon we flied to Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, with an intermediate stop at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We flied with a Boeing 747, for 400 persons, so a huge plane! I was sitting at the window, coz I was the only one of our family who never flied before and it was great! The take off was great and the view was often spectacular! Although there were often a lot of clouds, I saw a lot of Germany, Russia and Iran. When it became dark, the thunderstorm also began, and it wasn’t a small one! It just looked like war, with a lot of lightning, it looked cool! At 12 o’clock at night (Dutch time, it was there 6 pm) we arrived at Kuala Lumpur, we were should change over. After more than 3 hours we could finally fly again, now to Jakarta (on the map nr. 1) and after 1,5 hour, we arrived there.

Wednesday 6 July
After our check out and getting our luggage, we were welcomed by our guide for the rest of our trip, his name was Arnold, and he is an Indonesian man, but he spoke Dutch almost fluently. We met also the rest of our group, with whom we would travel. Our travel company is called ‘het schone streven’ translated in English something like: ‘the noble ambition’, cause it’s not only a travel company, but also does a lot to the country itself, like founding schools and orphanages and more like that. Our travel group had 22 persons, and with them we went out of the airport and we immediately knew we were in Indonesia: it was hot, but especially very humid, just like in a hothouse. We walked to our bus, fortunately air-conditioned, with which we would travel to Bogor (map nr. 2), about 60 km from Jakarta, where our first hotel was. Fortunately we didn’t need to drive by ourselves, because we were very tired, but mostly because of the traffic; it’s really busy, a lot of cars and mopeds and there are hardly any rules. When we arrived at our hotel at Bogor, we immediately went to our hotel rooms (with a great beds and a good view over the swimming pool) where we slept, coz we didn’t sleep well in the plane. I woke up coz of an other thunderstorm, with very much rain, it just remain raining, raining and raining. After our dinner and some walking in Bogor, we went to bed, again.

Thursday 7 July
After our breakfast we went to the botanical garden from Bogor, but first to the post office and the bank, where we, to put it mildly, weren’t leave alone by the many souvenir sellers. Everyone wanted to sell anything to us, logical, coz they are poor and we are very rich, according to there opinion. (and of course that’s true!) But when we finally get off them, we went really to the botanical garden. It was founded by the Dutch people, when Indonesia was the colony of Holland. We saw a lot of flowers, plants and trees, we’ve never seen before and they were beautiful! Everything just grows so beautiful there, because of the lot of rain and the hot weather. After our lunch, we went with small green buses, the public transport of Bogor, to an other part of the city, a ‘kampong’ a sort of village, where the famous ‘wayang dolls’ are made. Wayang dolls are a sort of marionette dolls, made from wood, we saw in the kampong how they do that, everything is still handwork, and really beautiful! While walking through the kampong, a lot of children came walking next, after and in front of us. They thought us very special; we’re white, foreigners and rich! But they knew also we brought thinks like candy, pens and balloons for them, and they were very happy with them! After going back to our hotel with the green buses again (really an adventure itself!) we had our dinner and went to bed.

Friday 8 July
Today to Jakarta. First to the harbour of Jakarta, so different from European harbours! (not that I’ve seen many ) The unloading of the ships is done by men, not by tackles or something. The men walk with wooden planks (mostly the load of the ships) over small wooden planks from the ship to the quayside, all on plastic flip-flops! And that for wages of around 3 euro a day.. in the burning sun..
After seeing the harbour, we went with the bus through the centre of the city (terribly crowded.. even while the drivers make from a dual carriageway a four-lane motorway ) where we saw a few important buildings from the capital. Finally, we arrived at our goal; Taman Mini Indonesia, a sort of open-air museum/park; from every island of Indonesia there was something from that island, like a typical house, building or clothes. Also were the island of Indonesia imitated (smaller, of course ), what you could see when you’d go with the cable-railway over the park. Everything was just a bit too tourist, but nice to see some more from the other islands, coz we’ll only see 2 of them in real. After a few hours back to the hotel.

Saturday 9 July
After breakfast to Bandung (map nr. 3), where our 2nd hotel is. On the way we visited Gunung Mas, a tea-plantation, where the tea is picked, but also is produced. We got a guided tour through the factor, which unfortunately only worked at night, so we could only see the machines, without seeing them working. We also walked a bit over the plantation itself, where a lot of women were picking ea with their big hats on their heads, who wanted to give them away for a pic, but of course we had to give money for that, nothing is for free in Indonesia!
We also stopped before a bridge over the largest river of West-Java, where you had a beautiful view, but the coolest things were the coconuts! Where we had stopped, there were a few little stalls, and they sold coconuts and of course we wanted to try them. So we bought one and it was served for us; of course after opening it and putting straws in it. I have always thought that coconut doesn’t taste good, coz I don’t like Bounty and that sort of coconut, but this was a totally different taste, it was really delicious! It was sweet, but not too sweet and fresh and fun, also because the whole village came to watch us eating our first coconut ever. After this adventure we went further to our hotel, where, when we arrived, we got a dancing welcome by some children. Very strange to be seen as ‘important people’. After seeing our rooms and dinner, we had some live-music in the restaurant, with a singer and someone who played the keyboard. They played great Dutch songs like ‘tulpen uit amsterdam’ The climax of the night was when our 61-year old guide a song sang from Elvis Presley. He didn’t sing badly at all and his dance was just fantastic, just like Elvis and he moved like a 20-year old! It was just hilarious!

Sunday 10 July
Today to a crater of a volcano. It lied in the middle of the bush, so it was quite a walk to come there, but it was worth it! We saw some monkeys springing from the trees and the nature was just beautiful! When we arrived at the crater itself, we walked a bit there and put our feet in the hot sulphur water (sure Roger would love that! ). Also there were a lot of sellers, they know exactly where to find us anytime! We walked back to the bus and went to our hotel where we lunched. After hat we went to the Anklung school of Bandung. This is an anklung:
, it’s an musical instrument made from bamboo, with which you can make 1 pitch, by shaking the instrument. The children (and some adults) gave a show with a lot of music, dancing and also a wayang dolls show. The public was also allowed to play the anklungs; everyone got an anklung with one note and when the sign of your note was showed, you had to shake your instrument; in this way we all together made some songs! At the end we danced with the children and then back to the hotel. While driving back, we had an enormous downpour, which changed the way in a river; so incredibly much rain fell!

Monday 11 July
With 2 taxi’s, we went to the centre of Bandung, first to the post office and the bank, and then to the building where the conference of Bandung was held in 1955. Coz my father is a history teacher and my brothers both study history, they’re interested in such things, so we had to follow.. : p (not that I minded ) We got a guided tour in English, by a very enthusiastic and nice man. He told us the story of the building and the conference. It was a conference with only Asian and African politicians, who spoke in 1955 about the world and their problems, like imperialism, colonialism and the Cold War. They wanted peace and equality. The guide was really happy with an interested group like us, who asked some questions. Coz my brother asked some, the guide gave him in the end some books about the conference, for free! He also didn’t want a tip, what normally every guide (especially in Indonesia) wants. But he let us promising ‘to give some peace to our friends at home’. By writing this, I hope I did it a bit. ; ) After the visit we walked through the centre to the famous ‘Jeans Street’, where a lot of cloth shops are, but that wasn’t really a success; all the clothes are so small! I’m 1.75 meter and not 1.60 like the most Indonesian girls.. We went back to the hotel, where we didn’t do much interesting that afternoon and evening.

Tuesday 12 July
Today to our next hotel, in Pangandaran at the sea (map nr. 4). On the way we stopped a few times, and 1 time at the only hinduistic temple of West-Java. Coz we had to go by some small roads, we didn’t go by bus, but by horse carts, till we arrived at a lake, which we crossed with a bamboo raft and then arrived at the temple. So already a great adventure before we arrived there! : p The temple was much smaller than I thought, it was more a sort of monument. Next to the temple was a very small village; it just had 6 houses and 1 mosque. The man who discovered the temple (hundred of years after it was built) built it; he had 6 daughters and 1 son, but the son died. So he built 6 houses for his daughters and 1 mosque for his son. Till now, in the houses still only the eldest daughters are allowed to live there. We walked a bit in the neighbourhood, where a lot of sawa’s (rice fields) were, and then back to the bus and to the hotel in Pangandaran.

Wednesday 13 July
Today we should go to the ‘Green Canyon’, a river on which we should sail, but when we arrived with the bus, it rained so much, that the Green Canyon was Brown and the weather too bad to sail. So we went back. We lost 2 hours coz of that, but still we didn’t want to waste the day, so we did the program of the next day; a tour on becaks (cycle taxi’s) through a kampong. After visiting the traditional market, we rode through the kampong, over a very bad road, with a lot of children along the road who welcomed us with a ‘hello’ or ‘hallo’ and a wave. Waving back, we just felt like queen Beatrix, although not in a golden carriage but in a rusty becak. We stopped at a few places in the kampong; first at a place where coconuts were produced; first the juice out of it, then the pulp and the barks on a heap; that’ll be used as firewood. Then we saw how they made a sort of sugar from the nectar of the coconut-flower and how they collect that nectar. An 75-year old grandpa showed us: he climbed in a 10-meter high palm tree, like he was 20, and he put a bottle under the flower, so the nectar will fall in the bottle. A few hours later, he’ll climb an other time in the tree and will collect it. Secondly we stopped at a place where they made tempeh, a meat substitute made of soybeans. Our last stop was at the krupuk (prawn crackers) factory and we saw how that is made.
Back to the hotel, where our lunch was and then to the ‘monkey forest’; a nature reserve where a lot of monkeys live. We saw a lot of monkeys, but also a lot of deer, a toucan, an iguana, a scorpion (poisoned, but our guide just picked it up like it was a cute insect (spider for example : p)), a flying squirrel and, maybe the biggest adventure, very many bats, coz we also went in a cave. In the cave it was (of course) dark, and therefore a good place for bats. We went in it with torches, and, a bit scared that the bats would fly in our face, we arrived at a huge space, where hundreds or thousands of bats hang on the roof, all screaming and with red eyes looking at us. Luckily they didn’t move much. We went back to our hotel after walking a few hours in the reserve.

Thursday 14 July
Today really to the Green Canyon, although it was still Brown, but it was dry and the sun was even there. We went on the river in motorboats. The scenery was just splendid, so much green! We saw again an iguana, a palm tree climber and a cave, but we couldn’t go in there, coz the current was too strong, coz it rained so much yesterday, but it looked beautiful. We also ate an other coconut (I just can’t get enough of them, they’re so delicious!) and then our trip was over. Now we went with the bus to the fish auction, we expected a bunch fishes, but there were only 5 of them , so we drove further; now to a beach where you could swim (at the beach next to our hotel, it wasn’t allowed, coz it was there too dangerous). The waves were just huge, but not dangerous and the water was almost hot, certainly in comparison with our cold North sea. After some swimming we could change our clothing in a bedroom behind a pub (really cosy : rolleyes: ), and back to our hotel. After the lunch it was time for our ‘dress up party’; everyone was dressed up in traditional Javanese clothes. Everything was a bit tight, but it was worth it, it looked beautiful!

Friday 15 July
After breakfast we went to Yogyakarta (map nr. 5), our 4th stop. It was the official day of the accidents and almost-accidents . The bus already had stopped once for an ill boy and when it stopped a second time for a drink and toilet stop, it happened. We want to go to the left to park the bus (you drive at the left in Indonesia) and at our left a moped wanted to overtake us, while the bus already stand still. The moped crashed against a post of an advertisement sign, and coz of that, the sign plunged from 5 meter high on the foot of a woman from our travel group, who just wanted to get out the bus. A lot of blood, 3 sutures and waiting long for the police. After an hour we could finally go further. In between we also got 2 almost-accidents, the first time a truck suddenly braked and went to the right, without using his flashing lights, and the second time our bus had to brake, coz an other bus drove straight at us; it wanted to overturn a car, but that went a bit slower than he thought : rolleyes:. So the car had to brake, and we and the bus could just in time rush before the car. Still we arrived safe at our hotel, it was a very luxury hotel, 4 stars and very beautiful, especially the 4 (!) swimming pools.

Saturday 16 July
Today we visited the city of Yogyakarta. First we went to the palace of the sultan (Yogyakarta still has a sultan, though not with very much power) where we walked a bit with a guide. Secondly we went to the silver factory, where you could see how they make several jewels, really delicate work. They work with small tweezers and needles to put everything right in the jewels. After the lunch we went to the leather factory, where a Dutch woman manages a small company has, where they makes leather bags, straps etc., everything handmade. Now to the last factory; the batik factory. Batik is the famous Indonesian fabric. Here we could see how they painted the fabrics, everything also handmade. It was pretty complicated! After this we went back to the hotel, where preparations were made for a gigantic Indonesian traditional wedding party around the swimming pools; complete with live gamelan (sort of xylophone) music and an enormous wedding cake. Around 6 pm the couple came for the first time at the place, but only for pics. At 7 pm they came for the second and final time and all the traditions first had to happen; the evil spirits had to be exorcized and all the obliged songs had to be sang. After that, finally, the party could begin. But already at 10 pm, the party was over and everybody had to leave. It was great to see such a wedding in the ‘backyard’! It looked like a king married, but we heard it were ‘just’ rich people.

Sunday 17 July
Early out of our beds (again…) to avoid the excitement and the heat at the 2 temples we would visit today: the buddhistic temple of Borobudur and the hinduistic temple (actually temples) of Prambanan. At the Borubudur it was indeed cool, but not quiet; it’s the biggest buddhistic building of the world and a big tourist attraction. The temple (in which you can’t go in, so it’s more a monument than a temple) is very big and high and has many levels who all tell a story by reliefs in the stones; each level its own story, like the story of Buddha and of the world. On the top there was a holy Buddha; when you touched his right heel with your right hand, you could do a wish. Despite this all, we were almost a bigger attraction than the temple, as long and white people; everyone asked us to go on the pic with them, especially giggling girls :rolleyes : : p. The temple was beautiful, but I thought the temples of Prambanan were more beautiful, those were our next visit. Here it was much less busy, but also much hotter, the sun burnt incredibly. There were a lot different temples on the same place; the biggest one for Shiva, the destroyer and the other 2 big ones for Brahma and Vishnu. The rest of the temples were for smaller gods. We went back to our hotel and after the lunch and some rest, we went to the centre of Yogyakarta, were we could shop a bit. It was much more fun here than in Bandung, coz the shops were much nicer here. It’s really an adventure to buy here something; when you buy something at a stall on the street you, of course, have to bargain, but if you buy something in a shop, especially in bigger ones, it’s all much more difficult and awkward. The example of sunglasses: You pick out some and you give them to a seller, who stands near by you, (s)he writes a note and keeps the sunglasses. You have to walk to the check-out, where you pay. With the receipt you got, you go again to the seller, and (s)he finally gives you your glasses. The time it takes!

Monday 18 July
Today to Batu (nr. 6 on the map) for our 5th hotel. Batu is a holiday resort near by the city of Malang, in the mountains. WE had a coffee-stop at the ‘Holland Bakery’, very funny, the bakery had a windmill on the roof and you could eat bread (very special, coz we’ve hardly seen and eaten that in Indonesia) and drink some coffee/tea. We drove further, lunched, and stopped again, now near by a lake. It was already really hilly there. After some walking we get on the bus, before some people gave some sweets to the children who were (again..) watching us. A boy threw some sweets out of the window of our bus, just like St. Nicholas. The kids were just overenthusiastic, like someone said, quite rightly, in Holland is much less enthusiasm with St. Nicholas than here with us. After throwing the last sweets, we went further to our hotel. When we arrived, we immediately understood why Batu has the nickname of ‘Small Switzerland’. When you look outside when it’s night, you see many lights of the town, lying on the mountain slope, just like you see in Switzerland. Very beautiful!

Tuesday 19 July
In the morning we went to the centre of Malang, where we shopped (again..: p), I bought a gala skirt for 6 euro , and where we went for a drive. In Malang there were a lot of Dutchmen when Indonesia was the colony of Holland, and now still there are a lot of Dutch buildings and houses. In the afternoon we were free, so didn’t do anything special. After dinner we went immediately to bed, coz the next day we had to get up at 1.00 am!

Friday 20 July
Today (or actually tonight..) to the Bromo volcano. We got up very early and we went with small buses first to a view point, where we could see the Bromo and where we waited for the sun rising. I’ve never thought that lasts so long! We arrived at the point when it dawned, and almost an hour later you could finally see the sun! It was really cold (especially in comparison with the normal Indonesian temperatures..) around the 5-10° C, especially coz you stand still so long. Finally the sun and we went now to the Bromo volcano, again with the small buses off the mountain and through the ‘sea of sand’; an enormous flat area of sand where a few volcano’s (like the Bromo) lay. Across the sand with the buses and then we stopped at the foot of the volcano, where we should go further on horses. Everyone got a horse with a companion who walked next to you. On the horse, we went almost to the top, now we had to go further with the stairs (with 250 steps!) to the very top. When we finally arrived, we ad a beautiful view around us and we could look into the crater, where a lot of smoke appeared. Of course here were also sellers; they sold dried flower bouquets, not for decoration, but for the crater itself, you had to throw it down, as a sacrifice. We went back again with the stairs the horses and the buses and we arrived at the hotel where we finally could sleep a bit, after being awake the entire night and morning. After some sleeping and lunching, we went to the ‘apple garden’, which was in the territory of our hotel, where you could find some orchards, a hothouse and some animals. We entered the garden with a guide (who spoke, again, Dutch). First we walked through the apple orchard (where we picked some apples) then through the orange orchard (where we picked some... yes, oranges) and then to the hothouse (where it was just as hot and humid as outside). Meanwhile, we saw a lot of animals (unfortunately most of them in cages), like many monkeys, birds, chickens, deer, a crocodile, kangaroos, peacocks, flying dogs, and a porcupine. Especially the monkeys were very cool, a few ate bits of apple out of our hands, very cute! Later in the afternoon my brother and I wanted to play some tennis (there were 2 courts at the hotel : cool: ), we had already booked a court and we went to the court, but there wasn’t anyone and coz we wanted to rent some rackets, we went to the reception. There the receptionist was very obscure (especially coz she hardly spoke any English.. :rolleyes : ) but she said something like; someone will come and help you. So we went back to the courts and waited a while. We almost wanted to go away, when finally a man at a moped arrived. But, without a key to open a building where they had the rackets and the balls. So he had to go away again and a few minutes later, he arrived again and gave us the rackets and balls, so we finally could begin playing tennis. Wasted 30 minutes of our lives :rolleyes : : p. It was a very fast court (especially coz I’m used to gravel ; )) but good. The funnies thing was that the man who gave us the rackets and an other man, stayed and watched us playing tennis, a whole hour long! Like they hadn’t something better to do : p (or coz we played so good : p)

Thursday 21 July
Today we went to our 6th hotel in Kalibaru (nr. 7 on map), a pretty small village in the East of Java. We lunched at a Chinese restaurant, which lay in water and a lot of fishes swam in the water and also underneath the restaurant. They were very funny, coz when you gave some feed to them (you could buy that in the restaurant, very smart..) they really flied uh.. swam upon it and it just looked like a huge heap of fishes. A few hours later we arrived at the hotel, where we should sleep in real cottages, just like in England :cool :. After the dinner, we should have a traditional dance show, but that was cancelled, coz the manager of the hotel wasn’t there (he was at a funeral of his boss in Bogor), so everything went wrong. :rolleyes :

Friday 22 July
Today to the plantations, the school and the orphanage, all financed by our travel company ‘het schone streven’. The school is a kindergarten for children from 3 till 6 years old. When we arrived, a few kids danced for us, and after that we could visit the classrooms. In every class sang the children for us (we really felt, again, like Queen Beatrix) and we also had to sing some Dutch children songs, like ‘Vader Jacob’ and ‘Klein klein kleutertje’, very entertaining. : p After seeing 2 classrooms, we went to the plantations. First to the vanilla and pepper plantation, then to the coffee and cacao, and at last to the herb garden, where there were a lot of herbs, like cinnamon, nutmeg, liquorice, ginger and many more. It’s really interesting to see all these products growing in nature, I’ve never known, for example, that cinnamon is made form the bark of the cinnamon tree. When you smell the tree, it’s just delicious, it smells already just like cinnamon! After seeing this all, we went to a place near by the orphanage where we got coffee and tea and where the children from the orphanage danced for us (again). After that we had danced with them, they walked with us to the bus (and after that we had give them some stuff; like sweets, pens and notebooks) and we went back to the hotel. After the lunch there was an optional trip; a train ride trip with a walk through a kampong, with 6 people we did that. We went with a small bus to the station, when we arrived, we discovered that there’s a whole life around the railway; they use it as a road, bus especially as source of income. There are sitting many women around the railway with baskets of food next to them. When a train arrives, they stand up, put the baskets with food on their heads and they’re going to stand next to the train and selling their food. Not to the people who are getting out, no, to the people in the train. They give money through the small windows, the woman who sells the food put some sauce, meat and krupuk over the rice in banana leaves and gives it to the buyer through the same small window. The train itself is also very different compared with European ones. Not only is it a very old one (still a Dutch train, from around 1940), it’s also very large and very pleasant, coz of the many musicians and (also here) food sellers. An other thing different; you could spring out the train with no problem. When you walk to the very end of the train, the side doors and the door at the back, were all three open, you could spring whenever you wanted, but you had a beautiful view (though a little scary, especially when you drive over a bridge which is just as narrow as the rail). When we arrived at the station, we drove with the bus till the beginning of the kampong, where we would walk a bit. Of course we were again ‘welcomed’ by kids who were shouting ‘hello’ and ‘hallo’ as loud and as often as they could. I have seen more children waving and heard more saying hello in these 3 weeks than in my entire life before, just incredible.

Saturday 23 July
We got up at 5.30 AM (!), coz today we should go to Kuta, on Bali, our 7th and final hotel (nr. 8 on the map). After going through the final part of Java, we went with the ferryboat to Bali. The ferryboat was a bit rusty and old, but we arrived safely, after seeing some dolphins (: D) jumping in the sea. Bali is clearly much more hinduistic and much less Islamic as Java; you see hardly any mosques and very many temples. When we arrived at Kuta, we saw that it’s really touristic, despite that the sea isn’t really suitable for swimming, coz it’s wild, but thanks to the nightlife; there are many disco’s and pubs. Especially a lot of Ausie’s are going on vacation to Bali, coz it’s pretty near by and very cheap. We walked a bit at the beach, where we (again) a lot of sellers were, now especially with watches; ‘real’ Rolexes and Seizo’s .

Sunday 24 July
Today we had a free day, so we could sleep in till 9.00 AM! After the breakfast we went to the centre of Kuta with buses of the hotel, where we shopped. There were a lot of shops and not many stalls, which was very different from cities in Java. The most of the shops were tourist shops, a lot of CD’s, DVD’s, clothes, wood carving and surf stuffs were sold. There are two things which attracts attention on the streets; firstly the many sellers who want to tattoo you, who want to braid your hair or to polish your nails. Secondly the trays of banana leaves, in which many flowers, grass and incense lay and which are meant to sacrifice. We went back to the hotel where we lunched and after that, again, we went to shop, now in the neighbourhood of the hotel. Here also the same shops and things, though it was much less busy here and nicer.

Monday 25 July
In the morning we were again free, so we relaxed a bit, till my mum came and told us we could swim in the sea! That was a very pleasant surprise, coz we thought that was very dangerous, but that was it only when it became ebb, but in the meanwhile you could swim. There were big waves, but it was fun, especially with a ‘body board’, with which you could lay on the waves. After the swimming and lunching, we went to 2 temples, the Mengwi and the Tanah Lot. On the way we saw many kites in the air and many plastic bags on posts in the sawa’s; to drive out the bad spirits. The Mengwi is a very large temple (with outside a sign on which was written; ‘forbidden for women who menstruate’, luckily I wasn’t : p) which consist of many smaller temples. There was also a sort of ceremony, which was obviously very interesting, the ‘pastor’ yawned a lot . After that we went to the next temple; the Tanah Lot; a temple built on a cliff, which at high tide stands in the sea; now it wasn’t, you could walk to it, but you can’t visit it when you’re not a priest, so it was only nice to see. It was very touristic, not only coz of the temple, but also coz of the beautiful sunset you could watch there. We went to a terrace, where you could see both the temple and the sunset, but just when the sun almost was set, clouds were before the sun, so we couldn’t see anything of it. You can’t be lucky every day ; ).

Tuesday 26 July
Last full day in Indonesia and again a free day, so after the breakfast we relaxed and swam (in the sea! : D) a bit. The sea is very different than in Holland on the same day. It’s not only much wilder and had a much stronger current, but the waves also overturn much earlier. After the swimming we lunched and after that we shopped in the neighbourhood. Same shops, but we walked on the traditional marked as well. It really stank there of a mix of fish, rotten fruit and doerian (a fruit which ‘smells like hell and tastes like heaven’). Not really a pleasant smell. We went back to the hotel, where after the dinner we danced, with a live-band, a dance called ‘pojo-pojo’; a traditional Indonesian dance, which is very simple and nice to do .

Wednesday 27 July (& 28 July)
Today really the last day in Indonesia. After the breakfast we packed our suitcases, and everything fit together! We said goodbye to the sea by swimming in it. We lunched in a Greek/Mediterranean restaurant; finally something else than rice : ). It was delicious, but my stomach didn’t react great on it :rolleyes :. We went with small buses to the airport, where we said goodbye to our guide and waited 1,5 hour before we could fly. In the airplane I went far too often to the toilets, but when we arrived at Kuala Lumpur, I already felt much better. At the airport we had to wait more than 2 hours for our next flight. Slept a bit on the same banks as the outward journey. From 12 hours at night (Malaysian time) till 6.30 AM (Dutch time) we flied (6 hours time difference). When we arrived at Schiphol, we checked out, searched our luggage, said goodbye to everyone of our travel group and went back to home. It was a great journey, we saw a lot, but it was tiring! Indonesia, it was fun!

Jarkko Nieminen > Janko Tipsarevic > Mario Ancic > Gilles Muller > Marco Chiudinelli > David Nalbandian
RogiNie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
country flag Shabazza

Shabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My tour through Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiNie
we walked a bit there and put our feet in the hot sulphur water (sure Roger would love that!
maybe you should send him an e-mail - nice feet-treatment

Quote:
After the lunch it was time for our ‘dress up party’; everyone was dressed up in traditional Javanese clothes. Everything was a bit tight, but it was worth it, it looked beautiful!
Where are the pictures and photos!

Quote:
he funnies thing was that the man who gave us the rackets and an other man, stayed and watched us playing tennis, a whole hour long! Like they hadn’t something better to do : p (or coz we played so good : p)
Are you sure this was the only reason?!

Quote:
It was a great journey, we saw a lot, but it was tiring! Indonesia, it was fun!
Glad you enjoyed it - I must admit I'm a litle envoius, esp. with this bad weather 14°C max. rain and wind for the last 3 days

A really nice report thx Nienke.
wipe away your sorrow with no traces."

All the best to the members of the FedererExpress
Shabazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Nienke seems you saw a lot and had a great time But I am glad you are back!

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
country flag RogiNie

RogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond reputeRogiNie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza
maybe you should send him an e-mail - nice feet-treatment
maybe I will

Quote:
Where are the pictures and photos!
PM me if you want them

Quote:
Are you sure this was the only reason?!
I didn't ask them

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it - I must admit I'm a litle envoius, esp. with this bad weather 14°C max. rain and wind for the last 3 days
yeah, the weather was nice there much better than in Holland (and in Germany as well )

Quote:
A really nice report thx Nienke.
yw

Jarkko Nieminen > Janko Tipsarevic > Mario Ancic > Gilles Muller > Marco Chiudinelli > David Nalbandian
Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
country flag RogiNie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiudi-fan
Great report Nienke seems you saw a lot and had a great time But I am glad you are back!
yeah, it was great but I'm also glad i'm back

Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiNie
It really stank there of a mix of fish, rotten fruit and doerian (a fruit which ‘smells like hell and tastes like heaven’). Not really a pleasant smell.
I presume that's "durian" you meant?

You know, it's actually the "king of the fruits" as it was claimed in M'sia/Singapore/Thailand! We often buy durians for our colleagues who came over for visits from Sweden or Australia, tell them this is the king of fruits and they HAVE to try them, and then have fun seeing their expression just by the smell of it And there was once I saw in "Fear factor" that tv show, which actually had eating durians (in combination with other scary stuffs) as one of its 3 stunts! It's funny how contrast one can feel about Durian!

This is such a great report RogiNie I always say I will write a journal each time I travel, but I never did or even if I did, it's hardly anything like yours here. Amazing and I had fun reading it...oh and, next time don't just stop over in Malaysia...do drop by for few days visit too
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
country flag RogiNie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
I presume that's "durian" you meant?

You know, it's actually the "king of the fruits" as it was claimed in M'sia/Singapore/Thailand! We often buy durians for our colleagues who came over for visits from Sweden or Australia, tell them this is the king of fruits and they HAVE to try them, and then have fun seeing their expression just by the smell of it And there was once I saw in "Fear factor" that tv show, which actually had eating durians (in combination with other scary stuffs) as one of its 3 stunts! It's funny how contrast one can feel about Durian!
yeah, that's the durian but I didn't eat it and now i'm still curious about the taste! but one guy from our travel group did eat it, and he didn't like it at all... do you like it? funny to hear what you do with them!

Quote:
This is such a great report RogiNie I always say I will write a journal each time I travel, but I never did or even if I did, it's hardly anything like yours here. Amazing and I had fun reading it...oh and, next time don't just stop over in Malaysia...do drop by for few days visit too
thanks maybe I will someday! and thanks for your reaction!

Old 08-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

So many adventures so many excitements!! You really had a wonderful trip there!! I am sorry about the July 15th accidents, and happy that they didn't harm you and your family memebers. Being also a nature lover, I was so interested, reading your journal here. You saw many things which I would love to see with my eyes. I am sure I want to go to Indonesia or other parts of South East Asia, because I love what they got there!! You had wonderful time there, but we are happy to have you back here!

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
country flag RogiNie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens Point
So many adventures so many excitements!! You really had a wonderful trip there!! I am sorry about the July 15th accidents, and happy that they didn't harm you and your family memebers. Being also a nature lover, I was so interested, reading your journal here. You saw many things which I would love to see with my eyes. I am sure I want to go to Indonesia or other parts of South East Asia, because I love what they got there!! You had wonderful time there, but we are happy to have you back here!
thanks for your reaction yeah, you should really go to South East Asia when you love nature, coz you see so many of it there! all those animals and plants and trees.. you see so many you've never seen before!

Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I like watermelon most~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I can remember the durian fruit and the stench of it in buses buildings etc.

Sounds like a wonderful holiday Roginie, glad you enjoyed it

Indonesia is a fascinating place isn't it? Reading your experiences took me back to when I was there. I was in some of the places you mentioned- from those I was most impressed at the time by the Borobodur and Prambanan temples in Yogyakarta. Also the volcano in Bromo was quite an experience, and yes like you and your family I also remember getting up at 3.00 am to go there and watch the sunrise and it was bloody freezing. But a beautiful sight nevertheless.

I found Bali a bit too touristic and commercialized but nenvertheless Tanah Lot was gorgeous and so was the sunset! Unfortunately I didn't have the time to see too many of the other places you visited. I also stayed for about a day and a half in Jakarta and saw the harbour and "mini-Indonesia".

Did you only go to Java and Bali? It's a shame you didn't go to Toraja Land in the island of Sulawesi that was a truly fascinating experience! It's a mountainous region and the natives who lived there were pagans until the Dutch came. The Muslims had been trying to convert them into Islam for years but these natives were fierce warriors and living up on the hills had a great tactical advantage and kept driving them away. Finally, when the Dutch came with more sophisticated weaponry the natives were converted to Christianity, however they still maintain many of their old pagan customs.

I was lucky enough to be present at a house warming party which is a very rare occassion. There was a huge feast and hundreds of guests were invited. It was a surreal experience as literally hundreds of pigs were dragged tied on sticks and then slaughtered and roasted on the spot. And I am not talking about Nadal (although thinking about it the scenario does appeal to me ). I won't go into graphical details about how the pigs were slaughtered or the smell but it was very interesting and the locals invited me to the party and I got to talk to some of them.

But anyway, I am stealing the limelight from your vacation. Sounds fantastic and one day I myself hope to go back to Indonesia and see Iriyan Jaya (the other half of the island of Papua New Guinea). Glad you had fun and glad you are back with us
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice trip and it's nice to see some other middle eastern country besides Iraq and Afghanistan enter the realm of democracy. The country sounds wonderful and maybe someday I will go visit there.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #13
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk~!! I miss your Roger mission~!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Nice trip and it's nice to see some other middle eastern country besides Iraq and Afghanistan enter the realm of democracy. The country sounds wonderful and maybe someday I will go visit there.
Look at the atlas. Indonesia is not exactly in the middle east
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
country flag RogiNie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
Ah yes, I can remember the durian fruit and the stench of it in buses buildings etc.

Sounds like a wonderful holiday Roginie, glad you enjoyed it

Indonesia is a fascinating place isn't it? Reading your experiences took me back to when I was there. I was in some of the places you mentioned- from those I was most impressed at the time by the Borobodur and Prambanan temples in Yogyakarta. Also the volcano in Bromo was quite an experience, and yes like you and your family I also remember getting up at 3.00 am to go there and watch the sunrise and it was bloody freezing. But a beautiful sight nevertheless.

I found Bali a bit too touristic and commercialized but nenvertheless Tanah Lot was gorgeous and so was the sunset! Unfortunately I didn't have the time to see too many of the other places you visited. I also stayed for about a day and a half in Jakarta and saw the harbour and "mini-Indonesia".
ah, so you have been to Indonesia as well it is fascinating! Bali was indeed a bit too touristic, especially in comparison with Java, there you were special as a white person (not that I liked that ) but on Bali you see almost more white people than Indonesian people especially on the beach and in the centre of the city. but mini-Indonesia was that as well.. so many people!

Quote:
Did you only go to Java and Bali? It's a shame you didn't go to Toraja Land in the island of Sulawesi that was a truly fascinating experience! It's a mountainous region and the natives who lived there were pagans until the Dutch came. The Muslims had been trying to convert them into Islam for years but these natives were fierce warriors and living up on the hills had a great tactical advantage and kept driving them away. Finally, when the Dutch came with more sophisticated weaponry the natives were converted to Christianity, however they still maintain many of their old pagan customs.

I was lucky enough to be present at a house warming party which is a very rare occassion. There was a huge feast and hundreds of guests were invited. It was a surreal experience as literally hundreds of pigs were dragged tied on sticks and then slaughtered and roasted on the spot. And I am not talking about Nadal (although thinking about it the scenario does appeal to me ). I won't go into graphical details about how the pigs were slaughtered or the smell but it was very interesting and the locals invited me to the party and I got to talk to some of them.

But anyway, I am stealing the limelight from your vacation. Sounds fantastic and one day I myself hope to go back to Indonesia and see Iriyan Jaya (the other half of the island of Papua New Guinea). Glad you had fun and glad you are back with us
yeah, I did only go to Bali and Java, coz my parents wanted that and we couldn't go longer than 3,5 week, coz my brother's girlfriend couldn't get more days free (she's a nurse). so otherwise we maybe went to Sumatra or an other island as well but it was okay in this way but great to read that you've been there and enjoyed it! though I'm not sure I would like it.. slaughtering pigs (but maybe if I imagine Nadal as one, I wouldn't mind )