Hiroshima and Nagasaki 60 Year Anniversary - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hiroshima and Nagasaki 60 Year Anniversary

Today August 6th 2005 marks the 60 Year Anniversary of Atomic Bomb explosion over Hiroshima. Hiroshima and Nagasaki (August 9th) are the first and the last two cities where the nuclear weapon was used as weapon of mass-destuction.

No more nukes. No more wars. Please.

Let us have a peace.

I am off to watch CNN to see this live ceremony from Hiroshima.

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiroshima and Nagasaki 60 Year Anniversary

I was wondering if somebody would start something here to remind us of that terrible anniversary. Thanks for starting it.

2 days ago, I've watched a movie, co-produced by the BBC, ZDF (German Chanel) and TF1 (French Chanel), mixing fiction and archives...showing what happened over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It was frightening...And hearing those US soldiers, interviewed about what they had taken part to was dramatic...they were only obeying (partly true). But the worse is that still today, they're convinced that those bombs have really contributed to save many lives! Yes, save, as the bombings were meant to have Japan capitulate, to avoid the US to go and fight Japanese troops in Japan. When you know the number of ppl who have actually died, you can only let the tears flow from your eyes, whispering "you jerks!"...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

ugh trust tho...as if you can be surprised by that from americans
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I think at a time like this you should also give some thought to the people who were daily being worked and starved to death in the countries being occupied by Japan. The numbers are far greater than the numbers killed by the bombs. It was not just to save the American soldiers from going to fight, it was to save a continent from subjugation.

Stevens Point started a thread to remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki and Choupi and esther immediately assumed this was another anti-American thread. Typical.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-06-2005 at 02:20 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther
ugh trust tho...as if you can be surprised by that from americans
Maybe you would have preferred to be living now as a slave worker for the Japanese Emperor, considering how far the Japanese Army had advanced towards Australia when the war ended.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupi
When you know the number of ppl who have actually died, you can only let the tears flow from your eyes, whispering "you jerks!"...
And do you also whisper ''you jerks'' when you remember D-Day and all those American troops that landed in Normandy to save France?
Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly
I think at a time like this you should also give some thought to the people who were daily being worked and starved to death in the countries being occupied by Japan. The numbers are far greater than the numbers killed by the bombs. It was not just to save the American soldiers from going to fight, it was to save a continent from subjugation.
Don't worry, no risk for me to forget about it. Part of my family died because of WW2 and my gdfather has worked against his will for German troops.

Quote:
Stevens Point started a thread to remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki and Choupi and esther immediately assumed this was another anti-American thread. Typical.
Do you know me? Who are you to assume that I've thought it was an anti-US thread? Is it anti-American to think that, 60 years after what the US pilots have done over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it is totally irrelevant to still consider heroic what they have done, now that they're old enough to understand what was really going on, now that they aren't obeying anymore?
Next time you try to judge me, because that's what you've done, try to know what you're actually talking about, that will help sound less ridiculous!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
country flag Choupi

Quote:
And do you also whisper ''you jerks'' when you remember D-Day and all those American troops that landed in Normandy to save France?
Stop being foolish will you...
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

Is it anti-American to think that, 60 years after what the US pilots have done over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it is totally irrelevant to still consider heroic what they have done
No, it is still relevant.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-06-2005 at 03:10 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

Do you know me?
I can only know you through your posts and I responded to the content of your post.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
country flag Choupi

Quote:
I can only know you through your posts and I responded to the content of your post.
So you only responded to the content of my post? Wow, you like to generalize, don't you? Because I dare say the bottom of my thoughts, and that it doesn't really match the American heroism cult on a particular episode of international history, I'm considered anti-American, fine! Congrats!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
So you only responded to the content of my post? Wow, you like to generalize, don't you? Because I dare say the bottom of my thoughts, and that it doesn't really match the American heroism cult on a particular episode of international history, I'm considered anti-American, fine! Congrats!
No, I was SPECIFICALLY referring to your post, not generalising.
And I am still at a loss to understand why you whisper ''jerks'' to yourself when you think of people who liberated most of Asia from tyranny. What scenario would you have preferred?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #13
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the Japanese catalogue of war crimes were hideous - my Great Uncle was a POW under the Japanese - my friend's Father was a German POW - I have heard their stories and I know which I would have preferred. However, dropping nuclear weapons that killed over 200,000 people (many of them women and innocent childern) was despicable in my opinion and saying it was too liberate Asia seems a little simplistic to me. If the US really wanted to "liberate" anyone they would have entered the War straightaway to help "liberate" the rest of the world from Hitler (including the people in my Mother's country in Belarussia where most of me relatives died), instead of waiting til December 1941 when Pearl Harbour threatened their own cosy existence. War is vile and despicable - people are hurt and get killed - many of them innocent - on an anniversary like today I choose to remember the dead from both sides and all races, religions etc that were killed unnecessarily. I think that is what Stephen's Point meant when he started this thread.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #14
country flag Gonzo Hates Me!

Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tell me about it.

Anyway... rememberance is important. Anti-nukes is the way to go. Too many people died 60 years ago; I didn't really know just how many "too many" people were until I actually picked up a newspaper the other day and found out.

Best wishes to all the anti-nuke organizations and campaigns as well

NALBANDIAN --> Benneteau --> Davydenko --> Mathieu -->
TURSUNOV --> Mantilla --> KIEFER --> NADAL -->
Karlovic --> Odesnik --> Stepanek --> Monfils -->
??

Oliver Cromwell lay buried and dead. Hee-haw. Buried and dead.
Gonzo Hates Me! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
country flag Choupi

Quote:
No, I was SPECIFICALLY referring to your post, not generalising.
And I am still at a loss to understand why you whisper ''jerks'' to yourself when you think of people who liberated most of Asia from tyranny. What scenario would you have preferred?
I'm tired of trying to explain you the content of my post, which obviously you don't seem to be getting. This thread has been created to remind us of all those killed 60 years ago in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, not to have us re-write history. That's what I wanna do from now on. So end of the story, at least, for me...If you wanna keep it up, it's gonna be without me.