Andy's Autumn schedule - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
country flag kundalini

kundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Autumn schedule

At the moment things rather look a mess.

As you rightly point out, the european clay court season is looking a very tough ask given the 32 player draw of many of the minor events and even the 64 player draws of the masters appear unlikely at this stage.

He is going to have to get his act together if he wants to play main tour events in the 1st half of next season. An inspired display at the US Open would help - but I fear he may not even make it through qualifying.

Let's hope he wins Vancouver, or at least reaches the final.

To answer your original question - I think they should continue with the target of top 100 and simply focus on that for the rest of this year. This would mean playing tournaments that give him a decent chance of the 200 points he needs.

The guy who won the 2nd set against Nalbandian looked a pretty good player to me - no idea where he has got to. Perhaps he will reappear at some point to rescue the situation (sounds dangerously like the 2 Gorans!)
kundalini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #17
country flag stuey87

stuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond reputestuey87 has a reputation beyond repute

You've covered just about every aspect of this, brilliantly exhaustive stuff guys
One point you raised really hit the nail on the head for me:

"Right now people seem to think it is ok to lose to Dupuis (because the grass was wet and the bounce was erratic), to Nalbandian (because he was inexperienced and lacking fitness), to Fish (because Fish was once ranked 19 in the world), to Carraz (no idea why)

But these were awful results (with the exception of Nalbandian - which was awful execution of a match he could have won)

If this carries on much longer Andy is going to struggle. He needs to learn fast."

I agree wholeheartedly. During Wimbledon he himself worked out that he needed to reach the quarterfinals to get top 100. He definitely should've beaten Nalbandian which would've put him far far closer than the 215 ish he was at having lost that match. Had he beaten Nalbandian and given Gasquet a walkover it'd still have meant that if he were to then win Aptos he'd be on the verge of the top 100.
I was frustrated to see him lose to Fish losing two sets from a break up, when as you say he would then hopefully have beaten Bastl again and picked up some 40 odd more points for the event than he did.
So the Nalbandian and Fish matches alone could've left him on the edge of the top 100 and the quandary of whether or not he should be pushing himself too hard now to try and get into the Aussie Open would never have come about.
Brown, Brands, Tsonga
stuey87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #18
country flag Duncan
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Duncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond repute

woah woah woah woah talk about ringing alarm bells already, give the kid a chance he is still only 18 remember, Nadal was still struggling with things at this age(until he went to the gym and bulked himself up)

He will reach the top 100 before the end of the season, if he doesn't make the US Open its not the end of the world he can defend his junior title and give him more confidence and then he can start on his mission to be playing at the Aussie Open in January

Be more patient people, he is scottish afterall :P
Duncan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #19
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

lol yes if he loses otherwise they call him british

Murray, the new british star after beating Stepanek

Murray, the scot lost to David Nalbandian

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #20
country flag Robxon

Robxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand why you are so dismissive of Andy's chances at the US open. He is likely to (will) be seeded and therefore will players who are ranked lower than he is. He has not yet lost to anybody more lowly ranked than him since his run started at Queens.

Let's enjoy a liitle of his success before we throw him to the wolves and expect him to fail at every turn.
Robxon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #21
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxon
He has not yet lost to anybody more lowly ranked than him since his run started at Queens.
That's true, although Carraz became more lowly ranked after Granby, in spite of beating Andy!

I have read that Montreal is Carraz's "second home" so maybe he had the fans on his side, as well as experience and his favourite surface.

I don't think anyone has been righting Andy off here. I'm just trying to see how he can best make use of the available tournaments to improve his ranking. And Kundalini sounds to me more like an anxious fan than anything else.
chalkdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #22
country flag villaturk

villaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond repute

Give the kid a break lads,christ all we seem to do is slag our sportmen off.The lad was struggling on tha satellite cuircuit in the summer and then after getting to the French Junior semis,he was so close to putting Tommy Jo out of Quenns and he got to the semis.I honestly believe that he would of won that point at 15 30 had he stayed on his feet and so would of had 2 match points.
He detroyed Bastl At Wimb and then out played Stepanek who had beaten Rusedski a week earliar.Yes we know he should of beaten Nalbandian but he was shattered.
We all know what happened at Rhode Island and then the 2 challengers at aptos and granby but give the kid a break,his ranking has climbed monster loads in months and will continue rising.
All he needs is work in gym to improve his fitness and strengh,the tennis talent is there but just as importantly is the desire.Its great to see a normal kid in tennis with his attitude.
Some of these posts are rubbish,saying that he is getting beat by poor opponents,etc.
i remember jeremy bates beating a 17 year old andre agassi in the states,say no more!!

Aston Villa FC:European Cup winners 1982

Andy Murray Pemra Ozgen Ipek Senoglu Natasha Khan

OH IF ONLY THE MALEEVA SISTERS WERE BORN 200 MILES SOUTHER!!!
villaturk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #23
country flag shyscots25

shyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting to read all the speculation about Andy's future tournament calendar for this year and early next. To me for Andy to make significant progress this year (well even more than the big leaps he has made already), and reach the vaunted heights of the top 100, it really comes down to the US Open. Not only for the huge ranking points up for grabs by a good run, 3rd or 4th round would be great, but also the attention it gives him again. Take a player like Monfils his ranking has improved so much and he has got into the top 100 by getting almost mandatory wildcards into every european ATP event this year. He is roughly the same age as Andy (although has been on the full tour a year longer). In fact he hasn't done spectacularly well, but has still went along picking up valuable points. He is recognised as someone with ability and therefore he gets the chance. Andy can earn that wildcard status too, he has had a few already. He needs to earn the chance for more and then justify them.

Andy needs to keep winning the challengers for the moment. I have a feeling he may get a chance in the main draw of one of the Master's coming up (whether by wildcard or qualifying) and then it will be up to him. The dream scenario would be a win in Vancouver this week and then one good run in either Montreal or Cincinatti. A few more rounds in these comps and doing well at the US Open and we could have an all new discussion.

Bottom line is clearly Andy is ambitious. He wants to go to the top as quickly as possile, i think he clearly believes that is where he belongs, that he is "too good" for where he is at the moment and these low level challengers. It is up to him to get the results. I think the aim has to be the ATP tournaments. As many as possible. Show he belongs there and prove that he can consistently handle that calibre of player. The ranking system is something of a labrynth, and there is no certain way through, except by winning. By winning as many challengers as he can but seizing every opportunity he gets on the main tour. Whether the big breakthrough comes this year or next year i don't think we should get too worked up about. Sure we would all like it to be sooner but it will happen, i have total faith in that.

For what its worth i think playing the solitary clay tournament would be absolutely pointless. I think his aim should be the less profile ATP tournaments where he might realistically get in. Of course a good US open and Andy will find it easier to make progress in the Autumn.
shyscots25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #24
country flag kundalini

kundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly weird events at the moment.

Andy had a place in the Montreal qualifying, as several players had withdrawn. Then he didn't appear in the qualifying draw so I assume he declined the place, most probably because he was still playing in Vancouver (last match on court), a match against Baccanello that he contrived to lose.

He has a wildcard into qualifying in Cincinnati but there are suggestions that he is playing in Binghampton this coming week, so the same fiasco may occur next friday.

Personally I suspect Andy is bored of playing Challengers - his results just lately have been awful - hard to believe given the form he showed at Queens and Wimbledon.

In response to some of the earlier comments - I happen to think that Andy is a very good tennis player (probably around 40 in the world but for his lack of fitness)

And if your starting point is that Andy is equivalent to top 40 then you would be surprised to find him losing to players outside the top 100 or those lacking form and fitness.

Of course if you assume that Andy is in fact the 300th best player in the world then his recent results have been fantastic. And to lose to Fish, Carraz, Dupuis and Baccanello is hardly surprising.

(I happen to think that Richard Bloomfield has done great recently - and yet he has been losing matches - the difference is that he is playing above his natural level)

Looking at the scores of his matches it would appear that he either wins in straight sets or he loses (the Mamiit match doesn't fit this pattern but it was played over 2 days)

I am amazed that fitness is not top of his list of priorities.

He is playing too many tournaments, he is playing tournaments that don't excite him (anyone watch Wimbledon - he sure was motivated then), against modest opponents, he doesn't appear to be getting any fitter, and he hasn't picked up that many ranking points.

It would be nice to think that Andy has a 10 career ahead of him - plenty of time to get fit, develop his game, learn from his mistakes. But who knows what will happen? A bad injury could wreck his career at any time.

Last edited by kundalini : 08-06-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #25
country flag pesto

pesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond reputepesto has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, they're bigging him up on the Binghamton website.

I thought it was reasonable that he played Vancouver, as, at the start of the week, it was by no means certain that he would have got into the Montreal qualies. But now I think it would be much more sensible to take a few days' break to prepare for the Cincy qualies.

He's been playing every week for ages. It's a bit mad to miss a Masters Series event for the sake of a low-level Challenger nobody's ever heard of.
pesto is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #26
country flag kundalini

Agree

He needs a rest.

Then he needs some matches that excite him.

I would imagine right now he's pissed off that he's been losing to guys that don't have half his talent, he's knackered from all the travelling, and he's starting to think he has been away from home (or his base in Barcelona) too long.

Mark Petchey should have seen this coming. That's his job after all.

(I really hope he is not stuck on the Challenger circuit next year - he seems to need the buzz of the big tournament)
Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #27
country flag Akyra

Akyra is on a distinguished road

Im sure his coach knows what he is doing with him...

So probably he will have a week rest before the US Open starts and yes he will play the Binghamton tournament.. You cant play only tournaments likes Wimbledon and the big ones. every one would like that and think they dont belong in he lower tournaments..
but first prove it also there that u dont belong there but in the higher tournaments....

He knows where he is going and he knows what he want... So doubt wont be in his head for sure... Why should other people doub him then??!!
Akyra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #28
country flag kundalini

Well he could have played Montreal qualifying

And he could have got himself rested and prepared for Cincinnati qualifying.

I am tempted to say that I expect him to lose in the QF in Binghampton. (convenient so he can then go to Cincinnati)
Old 08-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #29
country flag kundalini

Given that Andy is really struggling for sufficient points to give him a chance to enter ATP tour events in the early part of next year, I suspect we may see him playing in November.

There are Challengers in:

Bratislava (100 +H)
Dnepropetrovsk (125 +H)
Luxembourg (150 +H)

All offering a lot of points to those that do well.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #30
country flag villaturk

villaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond reputevillaturk has a reputation beyond repute

just one question,any body know the last time Muzza won a match in 3 sets(not including the slams or games carried over).i too think he is playing too much but lets remember,they have got a better life then us so playing most of the time shoulnt be a problem.Def agree with a few others that he needs big games so he has gotta get out of the challenger leagues as soon as poss.

Aston Villa FC:European Cup winners 1982

Andy Murray Pemra Ozgen Ipek Senoglu Natasha Khan

OH IF ONLY THE MALEEVA SISTERS WERE BORN 200 MILES SOUTHER!!!
villaturk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote