Soderking Chat Thread vol.1 - Page 96 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #1426
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: soderling

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedes_rule View Post
yeah some of the translators do a terrible job. i used to read magnus' blog every day but so much of it made no sense it would drive me crazy. then after robin got to french open finals his blog said something about how it was wonderful for SWEDISH tennis and the translator told me he was saying it was "wonderful for AMERICAN tennis". i gave up after that cos i figured everything i was getting was wrong!
Yea, I know exactly what you mean. The dilemma is that I am now actually reading the Swedish newspapers to get all the details that are not in the lousy Reuters or ATP reports. I'm used to reading boring articles that don't give you any insight other than a few politically correct quotes. Now that I've found the newspapers including the one that Etern recommended, I'm just glancing at the junk stories in Reuters with no interest.

I am struggling, but enjoying the detailed content by the Swedish writers that actually care about Robin. So it's either put up junk articles that are technically correct but boring, or take chances and put up something cool with insider information like Magnus' blog, but run the risk of misquoting him or being off the mark. I only used 1 or 2 translators for all his blog entries until this one today, because they we're pretty straight-forward. But if you read his blog from today directly off the Google translator, it comes out horribly and ends up making Magnus sound like he's hating on Nole and cursing at people which I've come to realize is just "translator nonsense". You'd think translators would fail on the side of safety instead of throwing up curse words, but I'm finding that is not the case.

Here are a few excellent examples of what you can get today. I'm putting in the translation links:

Sydsvenska Dagbladet
Think of Soderling in final

Expressen
Soderling praised by Björn Borg

Aftonbladet
Future World Number One
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================

Last edited by Nolby : 11-26-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #1427
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodal View Post
Rose, I just want to say I am so sorry that Nole had to lose, because as you know he is my second favorite player, and has been my favorite in the past. But I feel ok about this one because Nole was 5-0 against Robin, and the only other player Robin hasn't been able to beat besides Roger was Nole. So now it is only Roger, and that speaks volumes for how he has matured.

Now I switch to my Nole fan perspective (too many matches like that and I won't have a singular identity anymore ), and Nole barely made it through winning back to back titles in Basel and Paris and came into this event exhausted. He then had that epic 3 set victory over Kolya, who has been the most dangerous player next to Nole during the indoor season. So I suspected that Nole might be a little suspect for today's match, and that if Robin was going to get this monkey off his back, this would be the day to do it. Nole hung in there and showed his poise for one of the toughest sets I've witnessed in awhile, coming back from 0-40 and three set points to get to the tiebreaker. I think he gave it all he had and when the prospect of fighting an increasingly in-form Robin came up, he decided to go for broke for the winners in the 2nd set to shorten the match and it backfired. To make a long story short, there is nothing to be ashamed about or worried about as a Nole fan.
Thank you And don't worry - I am never ashamed for being a Nole fan And if he beats Nadal tomorrow, I will be cheering madly for Robin to beat Kolya as easily as possible, which means both Nole and Robin will go through

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #1428
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #1429
country flag Etern

Etern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Etern,

I used about three different translators for this blog, because some of the translations had Magnus saying some pretty controversial things about the withdrawal and Djokovic. The first one I used had Magnus saying in translation that Nole had a mentality that he did not like, and I couldn't imagine him saying something like that in the blog even if that was his inner feeling. So I used another translation and it came off more that he was saying that Nole lost his fighting spirit in the second set, which is something Nole acknowledged anyway. So one of the translators (Google) had Magnus writing "Fu***ck you!" to the organizers and doctor (seriously ) and the second one I used translated it as "To hell with you", so I took that one. It's not been easy translating all these things and often I will write what I am positive is being said over the translation that doesn't make much sense.

I agree with what Magnus is saying too. What blows my mind is that I've been following Robin pretty closely for a long time, and when he pulled out of the Stockholm Semi-Final with Baghdatis, I remember it was huge because he could've gained points by winning the home tourney. I remember watching the Garcia-Lopez match in the QFs, and that he was in severe pain and had to have his elbow rubbed on every changeover and barely got through the match. I actually posted here asking if anyone had inside info on his elbow the day before he withdrew and noone knew anything. So I remember being really bummed because he also had to take a zero pointer for the ATP 500 in Valencia by withdrawing from that one and was out several weeks just hoping to feel well enough to play in Paris.

However, nothing in the news outside Sweden suggested there was any tension about his withdrawal, just the same old facts and quotes from his press conference. So I was totally clueless about the controversy until reading and translating the blog. Yes, that is so cool that Magnus stood up for Robin and stated that they did the right thing. There is no way in hell Robin would be withdrawing from getting extra points at a winnable home touney and taking 0 points in an ATP 500. Also, Robin played four weeks in a row at Kuala Lampur-->Beijing-->Shanghai-->Stockholm and got far in every tourney, so it's no wonder his elbow, which was injured in July, was hurting. The doctors advice could have put him out for the rest of the season and he wouldn't have won the Semi anyway. I guess it was super unfortunate that it was at Stockholm that he finally broke down, because I read he was hurting in Shanghai too. I think him winning Bastad earlier in the year may have put more pressure on him to "do it for the home folks" and win both country tourneys, but obviously one doesn't go out when it is that severe. I'm guessing everyone now understands and it is in the past, but this run definitely justifies his decision and I think Magnus sees justice in how everything has worked out. People won't question Robin in the future on such matters, and this run justifies everything he and Magnus have done. Good for them!!!!

p.s. If I get something wrong, let me know. I appreciate it! I changed it to:

Which basically isn't directed at anyone and just implies frustration. There we're extra words that made it seem he was saying it towards some group, so that is why I put in "organizers" which was a wrong guess on my part.
Hi

I know how difficult it is to use the translators, I use it alot when I follow german media. But i guess it's wrong to complain when it's free.

The google translation were great Magnus must be the last person I can think of saying that. It must have made you when you saw that. If there is something that sounds wrong in the translations I will try my best to help, my english isn't great but there are more swedes here so someone else might be able to help more.

And thanks again for all the articles, now I don't have to look around for them myself
Etern is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #1430
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Thank you And don't worry - I am never ashamed for being a Nole fan And if he beats Nadal tomorrow, I will be cheering madly for Robin to beat Kolya as easily as possible, which means both Nole and Robin will go through
Wow! After the crazy scenarios in today's Group A competition, I am finding myself pulling up Group B to see what must happen for Nole and Sod to get in. Theoretically, Sod, Nole and Kolya could all end up with 2 wins and 1 loss...........and then it would come down to sets.... But compared to today's scenarios these ones are quite straight-forward.

Easiest scenario, Sod beats Kolya, 3-0; Nole beats Rafa, 2-1 (Kolya 1-2, Rafa 0-3). Rafa is already out so he doesn't have much to play for other than pride.

Right now: with matches, sets and games

1. Robin: 2-0, 4-0, 25-15
2. Kolya: 1-1, 3-2, 28-23
3. Nole: 1-1, 2-3, 23-28

So games and sets favor Kolya comfortably. If Nole does the best he can do and straight sets Rafa tomorrow:

Nole 2-1, 4-3

If Robin loses, but takes a set off Kolya:

Robin 2-1, 5-2
Kolya 2-1, 5-3

If Kolya beats Robin in straights:

Kolya 2-1, 5-2
Robin 2-1, 4-2

So Robin has to beat Kolya to get Nole into the Semis...

Robin: 3-0
Nole: 2-1
Kolya: 1-2

GO SOD, GO NOLE!!!

By the way, with Verdasco losing today (poor guy, seriously, lost all three matches in 3 sets and lost 2 of them in tie-breakers in third set) and going 0-3,

Robin has secured the #8 Ranking (or better) for 2009!!!
(love this pic)

AHHHHH!!! Relief!

This essentially means going into every tournament (ATP500 or Masters) where there are first round "byes" handed out for the top 8, Robin will now get a Bye to the Second Round if he maintains his ranking, even if all top 8 seeds show up.

How big is this? Robin was seeded 9th at the Shanghai Masters1000 over a month ago and had to defeat 33rd ranked Victor Hanesku on Monday in the First round to get to the Second Round where he defeated 24th ranked Almagro on Wednesday.

Giles Simon was seeded 8th, didn't have to play the First Round (got a Bye) and didn't have to play his first match until Wednesday already in the Second Round.

Last edited by Nolby : 11-26-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #1431
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etern View Post
Hi

I know how difficult it is to use the translators, I use it alot when I follow german media. But i guess it's wrong to complain when it's free.

The google translation were great Magnus must be the last person I can think of saying that. It must have made you when you saw that. If there is something that sounds wrong in the translations I will try my best to help, my english isn't great but there are more swedes here so someone else might be able to help more.

And thanks again for all the articles, now I don't have to look around for them myself
For anyone that is curious, the Magnus Blog for Day 7 (brought to you by Google Translations)

(Read from the third line down....)

Yea, I didn't think he would curse like that ("Fu***ck you, I say at Swedish reindeer!" Reindeer???!!! ) or say this about Nole: (according to Google translation): "In others can not stand Novak really mentally it feels like and he turns down his cap quite easily."

It sounds like he is saying he can not stand Novak at all mentally and that Nole submits easily. That would be a pretty bold and asanine statement coming from the coach of a player that prior to yesterday was 0-5 vs. the 3rd ranked player in the world. (Note: he isn't saying anything close to that at all. Other translators cleared it up showing that all he was saying was that Nole lost his form and energy somewhat in the second set after a tough first set. Nole said the same thing in his press conference. )

Last edited by Nolby : 11-27-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #1432
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all..
I saw Del Potro yesterday - oh my, I think he is the toughest opponent for Soder now...
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #1433
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nidhogg, if you get this before the match today, please show us a picture of Elsa and/or Tisbe. It seemed like it brought good luck before the first RR match. So Elsa is 20 years old!!! Furrball only lived to be 15. I had an outdoor cat as a pet as a kid that lived to 19. Do you feed herr anything special? I was afraid that maybe the junk food (Fancy Feast) that my former cats ate was what caused them both to develop hyperthyroidism. I've been trying to feed the two new ones only natural cat food, but they go crazy for the "junk food" brands when I let them try it.
I'm not that superstitious, but I'll snap a good picture of them both later on to put up here.
They are both outdoor cats, and they know how to open doors by jumping up to grab the handle. They can do it even with the front door.
Elsa can eat just about anything, but she doesn't hunt anymore. Tisbe in her turn is a bit more picky but loves to hunt.

My uncle used to have a big cat, Svarten, which lived to be at least 23 years old, as he came to them as a young adult. It ruled the roost in that house over three other cats and a big lively dog, Topsy. The dog was forbidden to go up to the second floor, and if she ever put a paw up the stairs Svarten would show her the door promptly.
Topsy ate catfood along with the cats, and always tried to follow them through the cat flap. Of course she got stuck every single time, but it seems she never understood why.

The swedish reindeer is a good one. "Ren" can indeed translate to reindeer, but in this instance it's about Magnus telling the Doctor who adviced Robin to play to "Fuck off, in plain and simple swedish."
Nidhogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #1434
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

As for Robin, both Federer and Delpo should be difficult to deal with, so I just hope his match against Davy won't be too long and grueling. I have the feeling he'll put up a good fight, as he enjoys the venue and occasion.
Nidhogg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #1435
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
Hi all..
I saw Del Potro yesterday - oh my, I think he is the toughest opponent for Soder now...
Hi DanaKz,

Pick your poison: Fed or Del Pony?

Neither one is going to be easy. At least Del Pony recently wasn't in form. But the dude who won the Legg Mason over Roddick, got to the finals in Montreal and won the U.S. Open may very well be the future #1 player because he is huge, moves well, and has unbelievable power.

Here's my angle. Robin wants to win at least one set tonight, because he would rather face Del Pony as the victor of Group B in the EVENING match at 7:00 pm. It is more important in my view that Robin get rest, because the Fed match is going to be the afternoon match. If Robin loses in straight sets to Kolya, he will come in second in Group B and have to play the afternoon match on Saturday against Fed. It's not just the fact that he would have to play Fed, but that the turnaround time would be outrageously short. These organizers did Group B no favors whatsoever! So I want him to get a shot at Del Pony first, even if Del Pony's form is the best, because Robin stands a better chance if he can get enough time to recuperate for the semi.

I just read a great article in SvD with that info and I'll try and translate it for everyone.

Uggh!! Something else just hit me though. The Final is on Sunday at 2:30 pm. So maybe he would want to play the afternoon match against Fed so he could get a day to recup for the Final? If he wins the Semi in the evening on Saturday, he would be in the same boat and have to play a fresher player the next afternoon anyway. These schedulers really suck. Why didn't they schedule Robin vs. Kolya for the afternoon match today? If Kolya could just retire after 2 games and give Robin the rest of the night off and let Nole play Fed on Saturday...that would be justice.

Robin is going to have to go into this weekend with the mindset of a warrior ready to battle all weekend without rest and defy all the rules realizing the season is over and he can rest later. It's like cramming for 3 finals in 2 days...tough task no doubt...

Last edited by Nolby : 11-27-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #1436
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
I'm not that superstitious, but I'll snap a good picture of them both later on to put up here.
They are both outdoor cats, and they know how to open doors by jumping up to grab the handle. They can do it even with the front door.
Elsa can eat just about anything, but she doesn't hunt anymore. Tisbe in her turn is a bit more picky but loves to hunt.

My uncle used to have a big cat, Svarten, which lived to be at least 23 years old, as he came to them as a young adult. It ruled the roost in that house over three other cats and a big lively dog, Topsy. The dog was forbidden to go up to the second floor, and if she ever put a paw up the stairs Svarten would show her the door promptly.
Topsy ate catfood along with the cats, and always tried to follow them through the cat flap. Of course she got stuck every single time, but it seems she never understood why.

The swedish reindeer is a good one. "Ren" can indeed translate to reindeer, but in this instance it's about Magnus telling the Doctor who adviced Robin to play to "Fuck off, in plain and simple swedish."
The "outdoor cat" thing may be the key. My two childhood cats lived to 19 and 17 years of age and they we're outdoor cats as we lived out in the country.

Was your uncle's cat Svarten a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat? Those are the biggest cats. They also are known to socailize with dogs among many other bizarre characteristics that aren't atypical. What kind of a dog was Topsy? You know, it is a funny story to hear about Svarten setting the rules and the boundaries for Topsy, and I've heard a few about cat's with that kind of spirit. My last two cats we're real wussies and I had an Iguana named Scalia for quite a few years who was incredibly smart and bossed my two cats around. The lizard would crawl out of her 55 gallon tank, climb down the Christmas Tree I left next to her tank because she loved it so much, and then go after the cat food in the kitchen. If either cat tried to get near Scalia when she was eating the cat food, Scalia would whip her long lizard tail with the spikes on it at them to clear room. My cats learned to let the Iguana eat their food when Scalia was hungry.

My Phoebe is a Maine Coon and she is huge, about 9 lbs at one years of age and still growing. They grow until they are 2 years old. She is not overweight, but just big boned and broad with long whiskers, a high pitched voice that chirps instead of meows and a big brushy tail. Most Maine Coons look like Tabbys. This cat looks like her (I don't have a great scanned photo of her right now):

Wow, now thanks for the revelation about "Ren" and what that meant. Now I'm guessing as Etern said, that him saying that is not the same thing literally as it would be in English. For example, Nole shouted some kind of curse in the Paris Finals, and directly translated it was like "Fu**ck Off", but there was a thread in GM where people from Serbia we're explaining that it didn't have the same connotations as it would have in English. Is this the same kind of situation? It's more like a statement of generalized fury?

BTW, something really odd. Magnus did NOT post a daily blog for the first time since Robin got into the tourney for Day 10. There are tons of comments on that entry though and the last few are about him not posting. They must be really busy preparing for this weekend.

Last edited by Nolby : 11-27-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #1437
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
As for Robin, both Federer and Delpo should be difficult to deal with, so I just hope his match against Davy won't be too long and grueling. I have the feeling he'll put up a good fight, as he enjoys the venue and occasion.
Here is some news that may make it possible that Robin won't get burned out in a long and grueling match on Friday night. I am praying this one will not be epic and exhausting.

Davydenko flags up injury concern
http://betting.stanjames.com/101837/...injury-concern

Nikolay Davydenko admits he was starting to feel an injury during the second set of his ATP World Tour Finals win over Rafael Nadal.

The Russian's 6-1 7-6 (7-4) victory meant Spaniard Nadal was sent packing from the tournament at the group stage for the first time in three appearances.

Davydenko now moves on to Friday's game against Robert Soderling knowing he will join the Swede in the semi-finals with a win, although the 28-year-old has sounded a warning over his fitness.
Speaking after Wednesday's victory over Nadal, Davydenko revealed: "It's a round-robin, it's not like I've won the tournament.
"I showed my best tennis and we'll see if I can do the same thing on Friday.
"I have a little bit of an injury from my first match. I was starting to have pain in the second set because we were running every point, so it was good to finish it in the tie-break."
Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #1438
country flag Etern

Etern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Fu***ck you, I say at Swedish reindeer!"
Well we all know how much Magnus hate the swedish reindeers
Etern is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #1439
country flag Aaric

Aaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond reputeAaric has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Robin, good luck today !!!

Djokovic·Soderling
Aaric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #1440
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Wow this thread has come to life. Great job Sodal, enjoyed reading your posts. Time for a forum!!!111111!!!/ONE!!!!!!!

Good luck against Denko, Robin.
Dini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote