Soderking Chat Thread vol.1 - Page 95 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #1411
country flag swedes_rule

swedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: soderling

Robin!!!!
brilliant news to wake up to!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1412
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

This was uploaded to YouTube today. This is the second video tribute from a fan this week. Before last week, there we're 0 "Soderling" inspirational videos.

Justice!!!!

Tribute to Robin Soderling - You Raise Me Up
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #1413
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Robin is Now Ranked 8th in the World

The good news just keeps on coming. With his victory today and 2-0 start in the WTFs, Robin has picked up 400 points. Verdasco, at 0-2, has yet to gain any points. With one match to play until the semis, here are the:

South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings Rank Player Points (closing 11/25/09)
1 Roger Federer 10,550
2 Rafael Nadal 9,205
3 Novak Djokovic 8,110
4 Andy Murray 6,830
5 Juan Martin Del Potro 6,185
6 Andy Roddick 4,410
7 Nikolay Davydenko 4,030
8 Robin Soderling 3,410
9 Fernando Verdasco 3,300
10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 2,875
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #1414
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Well deserved, and a hearty to all who thought he didn't 'deserve' his entry at the WTF!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #1415
country flag gam_jonte

gam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond reputegam_jonte has a reputation beyond repute

yes, totally agree. He really deserved his spot in WTF, it was just injuries that stopped him from making it the normal way just hope he can keep this up against Davy.
gam_jonte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #1416
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about taking your opportunity with both hands and succeding. I watched Robin play today (for the second time [first time was against Muller in Wimbledon R1 this year]) and I couldn't have been more impressed. Sure he wasn't always fluent in the first set but his mental fortitude spoke volumes for how Robin has improved and how patient he's become. He could have easily lost faith after seeing three set points go begging, but not THIS determined guy I saw today. The second set was just a brilliant display of his game - the whole arsenal (volleys included, which were the weakest link I thought). Djokovic may be tired, whatever... but he was playing defensively whereas Soderling was playing with the right mindset and attitude. There were Swedish people scattered around the arena, and loads of support for him, generally. Loved hearing the "kom igen" and "snyggt" phrases from those guys or maybe it's just a bit of nostalgia kicking in.

I didn't take many pics of the match, simply because I was enjoying it too much. But took some pics of his lovely interview with Petchey on court from the big screens.

This is the best pic I've got, unfortunately. But the heart warming smile is there I guess.

Last edited by Dini : 11-26-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Dini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #1417
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
Talk about taking your opportunity with both hands and succeding. I watched Robin play today (for the second time [first time was against Muller in Wimbledon R1 this year]) and I couldn't have been more impressed. Sure he wasn't always fluent in the first set but his mental fortitude spoke volumes for how Robin has improved and how patient he's become. He could have easily lost faith after seeing three set points go begging, but not THIS determined guy I saw today. The second set was just a brilliant display of his game - the whole arsenal (volleys included, which were the weakest link I thought). Djokovic may be tired, whatever... but he was playing defensively whereas Soderling was playing with the right mindset and attitude. There were Swedish people scattered around the arena, and loads of support for him, generally. Loved hearing the "kom igen" and "snyggt" phrases from those guys or maybe it's just a bit of nostalgia kicking in.

I didn't take many pics of the match, simply because I was enjoying it too much. But took some pics of his lovely interview with Petchey on court from the big screens.

This is the best pic I've got, unfortunately. But the heart warming smile is there I guess.
This is so cool! Thanks Infini. If Robin keeps winning, watch the media do a 180 and make him a good guy. I think the "bad guys" are the dangerous floaters usually ranked 13 to 30. I'm seeing a bit of change in the media coverage after the Nole victory. Isn't that ridiculous? That was probably the best win he could have for media relations. Crazy world... Fun to see his happy face there!! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #1418
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Day 7: London
November 25, 2009 by Magnus Norman
http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/

Yes! Who would have dared dreaming of this a couple of weeks ago? What if Robin had followed the tennis doctor's advice at the Stockholm Open semifinal to play despite tremendous pain in his arm: "You will understand that this is not good for your reputation. You have to think about the audience."

"To hell with you", I say at the Swedish organizers! How can a doctor give such advice to a guy who works his ass off day in and day out and always gives his best and who can barely hold his racket? I am as angry today when I think of it! No, it was very wisely done Robin, even though I know how much you were disappointed on that Saturday!

No, he had tremendous pain in his arm, and he only had a couple of weeks left to play tennis, so what he did today was extremely well done! I am very impressed. The most beautiful thing for me as a coach is that his arm is holding up very well, although he still faces tough opposition.

I thought that the first set was well played. Robin saved a break point in the third service game, and I think he got really good serves when they we're most needed. Extremely nice to win the first set tiebreak in the course of the match. In the next set, Novak really couldn't hang in there mentally and it felt like he gave up his fighting spirit quite easily.

Now we have a "rest day" before the last group stage match against Davydenko.
Hear!

Beautiful upload yesterday at Emirates Stadium (Magnus likes his football )

Last edited by Nolby : 11-26-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #1419
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam_jonte View Post
yes, totally agree. He really deserved his spot in WTF, it was just injuries that stopped him from making it the normal way just hope he can keep this up against Davy.
Hi gam_jonte,

See the Magnus blog entry today. He seems furious with the organizers in Stockholm for putting pressure on Robin to play that Semi-Final against Baghdatis. I had no idea there was some bickering behind the scenes on that one, although the news of Robin withdrawing from a semi-final at the time really depressed me. I'm glad he made the decision that he made. It has all worked out!!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #1420
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Just wanted to come over and say hi and congrats.

I was at the match this afternoon, and can't deny that I was cheering for "my boy" Nole But Robin was awesome and he fully deserved the win, and I'm very glad that he has qualified. Yes it is true that Nole was very tired - he's played a lot of tennis recently - winning back-to-back tournaments in Basel and Paris, also winning Beijing, - and he wasn't feeling good out there...............but take nothing away from Robin - he focussed well and served supremely, and he was by far the better player out there today.

I still hope for Nole to be able to qualify, though I think it's unlikely now

Anyway - go Robin

She's beautiful
Rose, I just want to say I am so sorry that Nole had to lose, because as you know he is my second favorite player, and has been my favorite in the past. But I feel ok about this one because Nole was 5-0 against Robin, and the only other player Robin hasn't been able to beat besides Roger was Nole. So now it is only Roger, and that speaks volumes for how he has matured.

Now I switch to my Nole fan perspective (too many matches like that and I won't have a singular identity anymore ), and Nole barely made it through winning back to back titles in Basel and Paris and came into this event exhausted. He then had that epic 3 set victory over Kolya, who has been the most dangerous player next to Nole during the indoor season. So I suspected that Nole might be a little suspect for today's match, and that if Robin was going to get this monkey off his back, this would be the day to do it. Nole hung in there and showed his poise for one of the toughest sets I've witnessed in awhile, coming back from 0-40 and three set points to get to the tiebreaker. I think he gave it all he had and when the prospect of fighting an increasingly in-form Robin came up, he decided to go for broke for the winners in the 2nd set to shorten the match and it backfired. To make a long story short, there is nothing to be ashamed about or worried about as a Nole fan.

Last edited by Nolby : 11-26-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #1421
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy for Robin. Let's see how much further he can go.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #1422
country flag Etern

Etern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodal View Post
Day 7: London
November 25, 2009 by Magnus Norman
http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/

Yes! Who would have dared dreaming of this a couple of weeks ago? What if Robin had followed the tennis doctor's advice at the Stockholm Open semifinal to play despite tremendous pain in his arm: "You will understand that this is not good for your reputation. You have to think about the audience."

"To hell with you", I say at the Swedish organizers! How can a doctor give such advice to a guy who works his ass off day in and day out and always gives his best and who can barely hold his racket? I am as angry today when I think of it! No, it was very wisely done Robin, even though I know how much you were disappointed on that Saturday!

No, he had tremendous pain in his arm, and he only had a couple of weeks left to play tennis, so what he did today was extremely well done! I am very impressed. The most beautiful thing for me as a coach is that his arm is holding up very well, although he still faces tough opposition.

I thought that the first set was well played. Robin saved a break point in the third service game, and I think he got really good serves when they we're most needed. Extremely nice to win the first set tiebreak in the course of the match. In the next set, Novak really couldn't hang in there mentally and it felt like he gave up his fighting spirit quite easily.

Now we have a "rest day" before the last group stage match against Davydenko.
Hear!

Beautiful upload yesterday at Emirates Stadium (Magnus likes his football )
Where do you get the english blog entries? Is it translated from the swedish ones? Because in the swedish one I have in my RSS-reader he "just" said something like "To hell with you" and then it's a swedish expression that's not towards the organizers, it basically doesn't mean anything.

And I think he has all the right to be angry, a doctor schould look for what's best for the patient, not what's best for the tournament.
Etern is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #1423
country flag Etern

Etern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond reputeEtern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Wow, thanks. Then it is indeed a very old pic.
Yes it is. The funny thing is that Robin has changed more than Nadal, and Robin is the older one. He really looks like a lost little boy in that photo.
Etern is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #1424
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etern View Post
Where do you get the english blog entries? Is it translated from the swedish ones? Because in the swedish one I have in my RSS-reader he "just" said something like "To hell with you" and then it's a swedish expression that's not towards the organizers, it basically doesn't mean anything.

And I think he has all the right to be angry, a doctor schould look for what's best for the patient, not what's best for the tournament.
Hi Etern,

I used about three different translators for this blog, because some of the translations had Magnus saying some pretty controversial things about the withdrawal and Djokovic. The first one I used had Magnus saying in translation that Nole had a mentality that he did not like, and I couldn't imagine him saying something like that in the blog even if that was his inner feeling. So I used another translation and it came off more that he was saying that Nole lost his fighting spirit in the second set, which is something Nole acknowledged anyway. So one of the translators (Google) had Magnus writing "Fu***ck you!" to the organizers and doctor (seriously ) and the second one I used translated it as "To hell with you", so I took that one. It's not been easy translating all these things and often I will write what I am positive is being said over the translation that doesn't make much sense.

I agree with what Magnus is saying too. What blows my mind is that I've been following Robin pretty closely for a long time, and when he pulled out of the Stockholm Semi-Final with Baghdatis, I remember it was huge because he could've gained points by winning the home tourney. I remember watching the Garcia-Lopez match in the QFs, and that he was in severe pain and had to have his elbow rubbed on every changeover and barely got through the match. I actually posted here asking if anyone had inside info on his elbow the day before he withdrew and noone knew anything. So I remember being really bummed because he also had to take a zero pointer for the ATP 500 in Valencia by withdrawing from that one and was out several weeks just hoping to feel well enough to play in Paris.

However, nothing in the news outside Sweden suggested there was any tension about his withdrawal, just the same old facts and quotes from his press conference. So I was totally clueless about the controversy until reading and translating the blog. Yes, that is so cool that Magnus stood up for Robin and stated that they did the right thing. There is no way in hell Robin would be withdrawing from getting extra points at a winnable home touney and taking 0 points in an ATP 500. Also, Robin played four weeks in a row at Kuala Lampur-->Beijing-->Shanghai-->Stockholm and got far in every tourney, so it's no wonder his elbow, which was injured in July, was hurting. The doctors advice could have put him out for the rest of the season and he wouldn't have won the Semi anyway. I guess it was super unfortunate that it was at Stockholm that he finally broke down, because I read he was hurting in Shanghai too. I think him winning Bastad earlier in the year may have put more pressure on him to "do it for the home folks" and win both country tourneys, but obviously one doesn't go out when it is that severe. I'm guessing everyone now understands and it is in the past, but this run definitely justifies his decision and I think Magnus sees justice in how everything has worked out. People won't question Robin in the future on such matters, and this run justifies everything he and Magnus have done. Good for them!!!!

p.s. If I get something wrong, let me know. I appreciate it! I changed it to:

Quote:
"To hell with this", I say!
Which basically isn't directed at anyone and just implies frustration. There we're extra words that made it seem he was saying it towards some group, so that is why I put in "organizers" which was a wrong guess on my part.

Last edited by Nolby : 11-26-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #1425
country flag swedes_rule

swedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond repute

yeah some of the translators do a terrible job. i used to read magnus' blog every day but so much of it made no sense it would drive me crazy. then after robin got to french open finals his blog said something about how it was wonderful for SWEDISH tennis and the translator told me he was saying it was "wonderful for AMERICAN tennis". i gave up after that cos i figured everything i was getting was wrong!