IMDB ratings reliability? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default IMDB ratings reliability?

- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMDB ratings reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...
The IMDB ratings become reliable once enough votes have been placed. The episode of Game of Thrones doesn't yet have a reliable score.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty reliable I'd say. Startout ratings don't mean much though; also that Game of thrones episode has "9.5/10 from 7,156 users", which is hardly the same when some movie was rated by 300k+ users. Same goes for the Winter Sleep, which has only 2,233 votes.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Scores are always inflated in the beginning and stabilise after a few months. I have a personal rule of never watching a movie unless it has an IMDB rating of over 9.1.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo

Last edited by leng jai : 06-12-2014 at 09:08 AM.
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
country flag HoorayBeer

HoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond reputeHoorayBeer has a reputation beyond repute

TV show episodes on general have higher average ratings then movies because if people don't like a tv show they probably wont watch more then 1 episode. Basically that episode of Game Of Thrones with a 9.5 rating is almost all from people who watch GOT every week and would be predisposed to liking it. Any movie regardless of how high or low the vote amount totals will be from wider sample of people.
HoorayBeer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

Given that quality of films is purely subjective, unlike success in tennis for example, the IMDB ratings are pretty much as good as you will get because the only fair way to judge films is by the average enjoyment of people who watch them. I'd rather go by IMDB than the opinions of any particular professional critic.

But as others have said, time is important for films in particular.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 .
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.
Probably far more sheep that gave it 9 or 10 just because. I'm pretty sure whatever formula they use would filter out ridiculous ratings like 1 or 2 anyway.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 .
As more people vote for Avengers, its score will continue to fall. Since it's a new movie, it is seen by more people than raging Bull and Taxi Driver. These 2 classics will have the same score, while Avengers will probably reach 8.0.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get
Plus Attenborough's god tier narrating. Some of the shots they got were insane and once you read how much time and money they invested you automatically understand why.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals