Please explain to me how Noam Okun got a "Lucky Loser" spot. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
country flag TOP100

TOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please explain to me how Noam Okun got a "Lucky Loser" spot.

How does a player get a LL spot if he loses in the 1st round of qualifying.?

Can someone explain this to me....thanks.

Last edited by TOP100 : 07-27-2005 at 09:26 AM.
TOP100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please explain to me how Noam Okun got a "Lucky Loser" spot.

Because he was the next best player who signed in for a LL spot. The 2nd round losers probably didn't sign in and left LA.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
country flag TOP100

TOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond repute

Not true.

Glenn is there right now,he's with Tommy,that's why I'm confused.

And Glenn lost in the second round of quallies,not the first.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Did Glenn sign in as a lucky loser? I understand that he's present, but if he didn't sign in or something...?
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG
Because he was the next best player who signed in for a LL spot. The 2nd round losers probably didn't sign in and left LA.
This is the right answer. Players have to sign-in every day until a ball has been struck in all first round matches (& in tournaments with first round byes, all second round matches) to be eligible for a lucky loser spot. If they don't sign in, they are not eligible even if they're higher ranked.

2005 ATP Offical Rulebook:
Quote:
A. Lucky Loser Selection
A player may be entered in the main draw of a Tournament if he meets the criteria outlined
for a Lucky Loser.
1) Lucky Losers are players who have lost in the final round of the qualifying event or, if
more Lucky Losers are required, those players who have lost in the previous qualifying
round(s). The Lucky Losers shall be selected on the basis of their position on the
INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) List (Entry Protection is not considered) used for
the determination of qualifying seeding; that is, the Lucky Loser with the highest
Entry Ranking position shall be the first inserted into the main draw and so forth. Only
those accepted into the qualifying competition may sign in as Lucky Losers.
2) The Lucky Loser list shall be posted each day at least one (1) hour before the sign-in
deadline, which shall be one-half (1/2) hour before the first scheduled match of the
day. If rain or other disruptions occur, then the Supervisor can change the deadline as
appropriate. Such list shall not be available for sign-in on the preceding day. All Lucky
Loser sign-in deadlines must be placed on each day’s schedule of play.

Last edited by smucav : 07-27-2005 at 02:37 PM.
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
country flag TOP100

Well maybe he didn't sign in,I'll know just now when he answers my SMS to him.

Could be a very expensive mistake in $$$,and points.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
mad1town

mad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond repute

Top100...here is a partical article from the LA Times...SMUCAV is correct.

+++++++++++++

"...There were injuries, illness and upsets on the second day, culminated by the weird sight of not one, but two lucky losers strolling out onto the stadium court to play the second featured night match.

Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent of Newport Beach both withdrew from the tournament earlier in the evening, which resulted in the insertion of Dmitry Tursunov of Russia and Noam Okun of Israel into the draw, who had both lost in qualifying. Fish and Dent were supposed to play each other after top-seeded Andre Agassi defeated another lucky loser, Jean-Rene Lisnard of France, 6-1, 6-0, in the first round.

Dent cited the heat exhaustion he suffered in Indianapolis on Sunday, which forced him to quit playing in the third set of the final against Robby Ginepri. Fish, meanwhile, said his wrist injury was still healing.

And so, Okun may have been the luckiest loser considering he went out in the first round of qualifying, but had the wisdom (or vision?) to put his name on the lucky loser sign-in sheet. Though Tursunov beat Okun, 6-1, 6-2, in 53 minutes, Okun still earned $3,650 for the effort..."
mad1town is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

smart guy, that Okun... lol.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
country flag TOP100

Quote:
[b][The Lucky Losers shall be selected on the basis of their position on the
INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) List (Entry Protection is not considered) used for
the determination of qualifying seeding; that is, the Lucky Loser with the highest
Entry Ranking position shall be the first inserted into the main draw and so forth/B]
Am I understanding this correctly,because if I am then it's an insane rule,which is typical of the ATP,so it doesn't surprise me one little bit.

Does this mean that even if a player loses in first round Quallies,he can still get the Lucky Loser spot because of his ATP ranking.
So because of his ranking he gets the spot before a player that loses in the 2nd round of Quallies who has a lower ranking.

That's so stupid it's almost impossible to believe.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
country flag TOP100

Okay just got an SMS from Glenn.

This was a complete freak event.

There were 6 players before Glenn on the LL list...so Glenn didn't bother signing in.
All 6 players had left the tournament,Glenn knows this because they phoned him to tell him he was the next LL.

Anyway,Noam had signed in for the Doubles LL spot,so for the hell of it he signed in for the singles LL as well....that's why he got in.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP100
Okay just got an SMS from Glenn.

This was a complete freak event.

There were 6 players before Glenn on the LL list...so Glenn didn't bother signing in.
All 6 players had left the tournament,Glenn knows this because they phoned him to tell him he was the next LL.

Anyway,Noam had signed in for the Doubles LL spot,so for the hell of it he signed in for the singles LL as well....that's why he got in.
I hope Glenn is not beating himself up over this. Tell him he is a swell chap for me, please.

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
country flag TOP100

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkygirl
I hope Glenn is not beating himself up over this. Tell him he is a swell chap for me, please.
Not at all,Glenn is a very relaxed kind of guy,nothing really bothers him....he'll just take it in his stride,although he could have done with the money,and points.

Who shall I tell him say's he's a swell chap....what's your name.?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute

Noam would have been 13th in order of consideration for LL, but apparently 10 players ahead of him didn't sign in, so after Tursunov he was the next player on the list.

Here is the LL order:
1 (2)Jean-Rene Lisnard (FRA) 106
2 (4)Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) 119

3 (7)Ivo Heuberger (SUI) 187
4 (WC)Jamil Al Agba (USA) NR
5 (3)Giovanni Lapentti (ECU) 114
6 (6)Chris Guccione (AUS) 175
7 (8)Mark Philippoussis (AUS) 204
8 Glenn Weiner (USA) 207
9 Eric Taino (USA) 331
10 Karan Rastogi (IND) 592
11 Robert Yim (USA) 610
12 Mashiska Washington (USA) 864
13 (5)Noam Okun (ISR) 144
Semifinal: 2004 - Houston, Casablanca, Nottingham, Stuttgart, Cincinnati
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
country flag TauRuZ

TauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond reputeTauRuZ has a reputation beyond repute

I keep wondering what if Okun didn't sign in and no qualie loser listed below him sign in. What the tournament will do?
PAW2005 Year-End Ranking: 15
Winner Cincinnati AMS , Stockholm
Runner Up Paris AMS
Semifinalist Indianapolis
Quarterfinalist Miami AMS , Wimbledon , Los Angeles
TauRuZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
country flag tal20

tal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond reputetal20 has a reputation beyond repute

i think in a case like that one of the playrs
in the main draw gets a wildcard...
tal20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote