The Finals: Federer v. Novak - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Finals: Federer v. Novak

Good luck Roger!

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

Go Roger

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
warfreakbix

warfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck Roger!

Make it a fast one!
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to
heaven!

warfreakbix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
country flag Vampire Armand

Vampire Armand

Go Roger! POUND HIM!
Old 03-02-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
Awesome4hand

Awesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome4hand has a reputation beyond repute

Anything could happen here...

Federer's been playing well three tournaments in a row... Novak is starting to peak at the right time....just b4 the TMS...

Federer in 3 sets... 64 46 76
Old 03-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think it will go to three sets, but whoever wins I don't think the score will be that tight. It's interesting that Federer's last two wins indoors, while convincing, were not straight sets, and Novak usually came back right after Roger had given a crushing display of superiority; he took the second set in the Vienna final 6-1, but Novak managed to take the third set, and then at the Masters Cup even after bagelling Novak in the first set Federer was forced to go into a third eventually.

Also note that this is the first time they have played on outdoor hardcourt, and of the six matches they've played Novak has won the two played in outdoor conditions, at Wimbledon and in Rome. I think Roger will still take this and although it will most likely be a tough battle, I reckon he will manage to win decisively in the end.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
Marilyn

Marilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond reputeMarilyn has a reputation beyond repute

Goooooooo Roger

Good luck to:
Nicolas Escude, Gustavo Kuerten, Arnaud Clement, Roger Federer,
Sebastien Grosjean, Carlos Moya, Marat Safin, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Marcelo Rios, Richard Gasquet, Fabrice Santoro, Alex Corretja, Xavier Malisse, Juan Ignacio Chela, Tommy Robredo, Max Mirnyi, Ivan Ljubicic, Gaston Gaudio, Paradorn Srichaphan, Yeu-Tzuoo Wang, Yen-Hsun Lu and many many more!
Marilyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #8
RogiFan

RogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjengster
Well, I think it will go to three sets, but whoever wins I don't think the score will be that tight. It's interesting that Federer's last two wins indoors, while convincing, were not straight sets, and Novak usually came back right after Roger had given a crushing display of superiority; he took the second set in the Vienna final 6-1, but Novak managed to take the third set, and then at the Masters Cup even after bagelling Novak in the first set Federer was forced to go into a third eventually.

Also note that this is the first time they have played on outdoor hardcourt, and of the six matches they've played Novak has won the two played in outdoor conditions, at Wimbledon and in Rome. I think Roger will still take this and although it will most likely be a tough battle, I reckon he will manage to win decisively in the end.
Hi Sjengster!

Hope you're right... I want a quick and painless win for Rogi but somehow I doubt it... as long as he focusses, is determined and is more agressive, he can win this!

Cheering for you, ROGI!!
RogiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #9
Lily

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

win or lose, Roger has played some amazing tennis these past 3 weeks and I just hope it continues into the TMS and GS. With that said.....

Go Rogi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."--Rogi's motto
Lily is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:17 PM   #10
country flag Mrs. B

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

3-0 Roger, 1st set

FRENCH KISS
Old 03-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #11
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the conditions are as blustery as they were yesterday? Because if so, Roger's more attacking game gives him an immediate advantage. I saw a repeat of Novak's semi with Robredo yesterday and the wind was playing havoc with his shots, a lot of the time he was off-balance and had to push the ball back over the net, usually off the frame, simply because the wind was blowing it all over the place.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:30 PM   #12
country flag Mrs. B

6-1 first set. Roger

FRENCH KISS
Old 03-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #13
country flag bluepastures

bluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to behold

Federer's playing extremely well today. He gave Novak very few opportunities in the first set.
bluepastures is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:35 PM   #14
country flag bluepastures

bluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to beholdbluepastures is a splendid one to behold

6-1, 0-1. Now it's Federer serving
bluepastures is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #15
country flag Sjengster

See what I mean about the first part of most of their matches? The last two times Federer has played Novak, I've always felt sorry for Novak simply because he's such a decent and hard-working guy and he's usually been made to look second best out there; but then, I remember that before last year he held a 3-1 advantage in matches against Roger, so he certainly does know how to beat him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Novak were now to grab this second set after such a quick first set, but if Roger can finish this off convincingly, all the better!