°_° - Stan's news - °_° - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #61
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

Wednesday, 15 April 2009

S. WAWRINKA/M. Vassallo Arguello
2-6, 7-5, 6-2

An interview with: STANISLAS WAWRINKA

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. Talk about playing Roger.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, it's always a particular match. It's a good friend of me. Is gonna be nice to play him on the center court here, the clay court. I play him three times already. I always lost. But it was indoor and hard court.
So it's gonna be fun to play tomorrow.

Q. Do you feel that clay will give you an advantage?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, I think I'm better on clay court. So maybe it's better for me.
But we'll see tomorrow how is gonna be.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. That was a rotten court to be on?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It certainly wasn't a big court for a Masters Series tournament.

Q. It was tight. He had 30-15.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Indeed, there was not much difference between us. I was able to raise my game.

Q. What about your match tomorrow against Roger?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: He will have no reference points, whereas I am playing better and better. In general I have problems to adapt to the surface in this tournament, but this year I feel very good here.

Q. Is clay your favorite surface?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes.

Q. You played very good matches against Djokovic and Nadal. Did you learn things in those matches that you can use for this next match?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It certainly gave me confidence. Even if I'm disappointed I lost them, I know I was able to stay in there and fight until the end. It's good having those big matches in the beginning of the year because then you can see what you still have to work on.

Q. So you saw the mistakes you shouldn't make anymore?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, like not losing a tiebreaker. Against Djokovic, I was up 5 2 in the second set. I should have won that set. And against Nadal, he played very good in the two tiebreakers.
But now it's going to be different because it's on clay, and the game is different on clay. I must be solid, concentrated, and I must try my best.

Q. He had good results here before. What is your state of mind?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: He had good results everywhere. What I have to do is make the right choices and have no regrets.

Q. (Question regarding the draw.)
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: You always look at the draw in the beginning of the tournament, but then you have to play it match by match before starting to think you're going to play a certain opponent.
On clay, you have to fight a lot. It's tougher mentally.

Q. Do you believe Federer can become No. 1 again after this tournament?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I hope not, because I'm playing against him (laughter).
But, of course, I believe he can become No. 1 again. Out of four Grand Slams, he won one. Although, Nadal is playing very good, as well.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #62
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com..._wawrinka5.asp

Thursday, 16 April 2009

S. WAWRINKA/R. Federer
6-4, 7-5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What was the difference today?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Win (smiling).
Yeah, I do a great match, but is always difficult to play against a good friend. You're always different on court.
But today I think I was playing better. You know, it was his only first tournament. He came only two day before the tournament, so it's not easy to play great on clay court, to came only two days to practice. So I think it was the difference.

Q. What made you believe that you could beat him?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I need to believe in my game, you know. I knew I can play very well on clay court, and hard court, too.
You know, I think the last two tournaments, in Indian Wells and Miami, was good for me, even if I lost against Djokovic and Nadal. But it was always tough match, always 7 6, 7 6. But is good to stay work with the game. With those match, I knew I can play very well against the best player.

Q. You seemed to be up in the score during the whole match.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It's had many opportunities and I won in two sets. Both of us were very tentative today and there were ups and downs in the match. I believe he hadn't found his rhythm on clay and he made many errors. I was very happy because I think I played my best match physically.

Q. You mean you had very good footwork?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, because he always tries to break your rhythm and to mix it up a lot. I was there aggressive with my footwork and I was coming early on the ball.

Q. Is it one of your most beautiful victories?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It is maybe not the most spectacular tennis, but it's my most beautiful victory, yes.

Q. What did he say to you in the end?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: He said, Good luck for the rest of the tournament.

Q. And what is your most spectacular win?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I don't know.

Q. Do you know Beck?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I know him a little bit. I haven't seen him here, but I know he's talented and he hits hard. He's a left hander. I must be solid against him.

Q. Federer said that your game was better adapted to clay than his. What do you think?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It is on clay that I feel the strongest. I always feel happy when I come back on clay, although I can play well on other surfaces.

Q. What do you think about the conditions and the rain?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It's always tough because you never know at what time you're going to play. You always try to keep ready.

Q. In the end, was it tough mentally? Did you think about the fact you were winning against Federer?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It was tough, yes. But I tried not to rush and not to do stupid shots. I tried to play the way I played during the whole match.

Q. So you didn't think, It is Roger?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Many things went through my mind. It is always a difficult tournament.

Q. Are you happy about this victory or do you think Federer can now be beaten?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: He can be beaten. But what is tough is to play against a friend. We have so many good memories when we won that gold medal. Anyway, I am very happy because tomorrow I'll be in the quarterfinals, and it is not because I beat Roger today that tomorrow's match will be easy.

Q. Do you want to do well in the French Open?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I am now concentrating on tomorrow's match. I know my opponent won against Gilles Simon, and it might be a tricky match. I can't be too happy today because I have to stay in the tournament.

Q. Are you happy you are in the quarters?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, I'm happy I beat Roger. I played two big matches, and I lost many opportunities, and I didn't win them. Today I was able to win.

Q. What about yesterday's match?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It was also a very special match. But, as I said, it's not because I won today against Roger that tomorrow I will win easily.

Q. What do you think the press is going to write tomorrow, is it going to be your victory or Federer's loss?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I know they are negative (smiling).

Q. You had the opportunity of breaking him in the first game, but you missed an easy shot. Did you have doubts at that stage?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It was not easy because I had played a good game and missed that easy shot at the net. But I knew I would have other opportunities during the match.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #63
country flag schorsch

Friday, 17 April 2009

S. WAWRINKA/A. Beck
6-2, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English.

Q. You must have come in with lots of confidence. Can you talk about the match today.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, it was a good match for me I think one of the best of the tournament. It was not easy to play him because he can play really aggressive. But I was moving very well and I'm very happy with my game.

Q. Yesterday you were probably the underdog. Today you were maybe the favorite. Did that change your mindset? Was that difficult to cope with?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, it was not too difficult today to be the favorite. Actually, is better to play a guy he's hundred in quarterfinal, so I was happy to play him.

Q. Are you feeling more like you belong in these matches at this stages of tournaments? Do you feel more comfortable?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, of course. After one year, I have a lot of confidence with my game and what I want to do.

Q. Yesterday, Roger was saying he always knew you could play this well, but maybe you didn't always think you could. What's changed in your mental approach?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I think is the experience, you know. What I say actually is the last two tournaments I play Djokovic and Nadal, I was playing great, but I didn't won. I lost in four tiebreaks. But my game was good. That's why I have more confidence of my game.

Q. You seemed to have an edge during the whole match today. There was no need to be scared?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I believe I played the best match of this tournament. I played solid and I moved well from the beginning. I was able to neutralize him.

Q. You knew there was a danger of being tense after beating Federer?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, I knew that, because sometimes after a big win, you might put pressure on yourself. But I was aware of that and I tried not to do that.

Q. You are quietly progressing, without making much noise. You are now among the last four players of this tournament.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It's true that I do things quietly, but I am improving little by little. I always try to do my best. I see that in this tournament it is working out for me.
I still allow myself to make mistakes.

Q. What do you expect tomorrow? It's going to be a big match. It's going to be revenge after Indian Wells.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I'm very pleased to play against him again, this time on clay. I think it's going to be a very physical match. I know he likes to be very aggressive.

Q. Is it an advantage to play him on clay?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes and no, because I know he can play very well on clay. He proved it. It's going to be 50/50. Tomorrow will be a completely different match than the last one.

Q. Did you work with Paganini on your physical fitness?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Well, after the Australian Open I took approximately five weeks to work on my physical conditioning. I know I wouldn't have time now. So this was a sort of preparation for clay in February.
I was criticized when I did that. But I'm very happy now I made that choice.

Q. It could be a big week for you if you win tomorrow. Are you aware of that?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: This tournament is good for me. But I'm not yet in the final. I still have a very tough match tomorrow.

Q. You will have to serve well against him because he's a very good server.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, I have to. And also he returns very well. Therefore, I have to hold my serve.

Q. Were you surprised the way Djokovic beat Verdasco?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No. Except the set he lost against Montańés, Djokovic played very well during this tournament. He returns very well. He has a very good backhand. Thanks to that, a lefty doesn't bother him.

Q. After your victory yesterday you had many requests for interviews, et cetera. Are you aware this has maybe caused an earthquake in Switzerland?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It's true I received a lot of requests for interviews. I didn't open my computer last night, so I don't know what is the reaction in Switzerland.

Q. Who criticized you about February?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Well, they didn't really criticize me, but there were many questions: why did I do that at that particular time, and about Davis Cup also.

Q. But you gave a good answer in Davis Cup.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, I played well my three matches.

Q. Aren't you bored to have to play the three matches all alone in Davis Cup?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It's always disappointing to lose in Davis Cup. I will wait to see the draw in May to know who we are playing.

Q. But you are going to play in September?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes. We can talk about Davis Cup all the year round, and it's only two ties.

Q. Will you think about your final in Rome?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Back then I didn't believe in my chances. When I came to the final, I already thought my tournament was successful and I didn't believe in my ability to beat him.

Q. Is it going to be different here?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: This is one year later, and everything is different. I have more confidence in myself, and I'll try my best to win.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #64
country flag Ciarán.

Ciarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you George
Ciarán. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #65
country flag schorsch

Saturday, 18 April 2009

N. DJOKOVIC/S. Wawrinka
4-6, 6-1, 6-3

Q. What do you think was the difference between you today?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Maybe I think it was the third set. When I break up, I have a chance to do the 3 0, but I miss it. Too much and too fast. He was staying on the game, and that's make the difference.

Q. Do you feel you still need to play more matches like this to have the confidence and experience?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, I think so. For me, yeah, it's what I need, to play more matches.
A few weeks I lost, but it was in the 18, now is semifinals. So I hope is going to be better next week.

Q. Overall do you feel you've taken a big step forward?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes, for the confidence, of course. To start the clay court season with a semifinal here is very good for me for the next tournament.

Q. Are you still frustrated about the point you missed for 3 0?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Oh, yes, I am very frustrated and disappointed. I was up 2 Love and I had this opportunity to go up 3 Love. I lost that game and the game at 2 All. These two games made me lose the match.

Q. What is so tough against Djokovic?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: He's a very good player. He's been in the top three for two or three years already. He knows how to do everything. He knows how to volley and to move. He's very tough physically, too.
Today I had the impression, though, I had everything to be able to beat him. But in the third set, when I had opportunities, I rushed too much, and he was the one who came out the winner.

Q. You had a letdown in the second set.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It was mainly a mental factor. I think I gave away the first two games of the set. On his serve, it was deuce, and I made two or three mistakes that made it easy for him. I was not able to go to the net.

Q. The score is pretty similar to the match in Rome, but this match was totally different?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yes. It was a completely different match in Rome. He was able to raise his game and I couldn't do anything against him.

Q. Do you believe Murray has a chance against Nadal?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Many players have a chance against Nadal. But for the time being, they are not succeeding on clay, but the time will come.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #66
country flag stroopery

stroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond repute

cheers schorsch .

he sure feels confident on his own game, and thinks that the main thing he should take care of is his mental strength when it really matters...

This girl adores Roger ♥ Stanley ♥ Marat ♥ Verdasco

Swiss Davis Cup team owns me.
Severin Luthi ♥ Stanislas Wawrinka ♥ Marco Chiudinelli ♥ Yves Allegro ♥ Stephane Bohli
HOPP SUISSE !!
stroopery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #67
country flag schorsch

INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA (MEN)

April 27, 2009

Stanislas Wawrinka

ROME, ITALY

S. WAWRINKA/I. Kunitsyn
6-3, 6-4

Q. What's your sensation to come back as the finalist?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, it's a good sensation. I start well the clay court season, and I'm very happy to be back at a great tournament I played last year.
I'm very happy to come back to try to play like last year.

Q. You have extra confidence now after, well, not last week, but Monte-Carlo on the clay?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Not extra confidence, but I'm very happy with my game. I know I play very well. I start good this week today with a good win against Kunitsyn, so I'm happy with my game and with the clay court season.

Q. You played very well at times. There were a couple of concentration lapses. Did you struggle at all with your concentration at times?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Today?

Q. Yeah.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, I think it was enough today to play. To win 6-3, 6-4, I was up and it was my game. I was trying to do some -- yeah, to play well all the time it's always difficult to be focus every game when you won in two sets, so I'm very happy to play more than one hour in two sets.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #68
country flag schorsch

http://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/sta...h-paris-118636 video and gallery here

Quote:
Wawrinka: Freundin als Glücksbringer in Paris
ZÜRICH - Stanislas Wawrinka kehrt nach einer Pause auf die ATP-Tour zurück. Mit seiner Freundin Ilham Vuilloud will der Romand Roland Garros erobern.

Nach einem Monat Pause gilt es für Stanislas Wawrinka wieder ernst. Ab nächster Woche bestreitet er das erstmals durchgeführte Sandplatz-Turnier von Madrid.

Das Turnier in der spanischen Hauptstadt nutzt der Romand vor allem zum Formaufbau für seinen persönlichen Saisonhöhepunkt.

Am 25. Mai will er endlich auch beim Grand-Slam-Turnier von Roland Garros gross auftrumpfen!

«Das French Open ist mein Lieblingsturnier. Ich werde alles versuchen, um weit zu kommen, aber versprechen kann ich nichts», so Wawrinka im Interview mit Blick.ch. Keine Zweifel: Stan macht alles für den Erfolg.

Stan verriet Blick.ch an der Eröffnung der Modeboutique Lacoste in Zürich, dass er seinen ganz persönlichen Glücksbringer nach Paris mitnehmen wird: Seine Freundin Ilham Vuilloud (34), Moderatorin bei TSR, wird den Doppel-Olympiasieger in die Stadt der Liebe begleiten.

-

Ein eingespieltes Team: Ilham Vuilloud und Stan Wawrinka. (Romina Amato)

Seit knapp vier Jahren ist Stanislas Wawrinka mit der knapp zehn Jahre älteren Fernseh-Moderatorin Ilham Vuilloud liiert. Gemeinsame Bilder der Liebenden sind rar. Gemeinsam unterstützen Ilham und Stan die Stiftung Telethon. Telethon setzt sich für die Bedürfnisse von Menschen mit Erbkrankheiten ein.

Stan in Roland Garros

Roland Garros ist das erklärte Lieblingsturnier von Stanislas Wawrinka. Kein Wunder: 2003 gewann er in Paris das Turnier der Junioren. Bei den Grossen hat es bisher aber noch nicht für den ganz grossen Wurf gereicht. Noch nie kam Stan weiter als in die dritte Runde. Im letzten Jahr scheiterte er nach klaren Siegen gegen Philipp Kohlschreiber (De) und Marin Cilic (Kro) am Chilenen Fernando Gonzalez denkbar knapp. Trotz 2:0-Satzführung musste Stan am Ende die Segel streichen.
translation soon...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #69
country flag schorsch

Quote:
Wawrinka - his gf to be his lucky charm at Paris

Zurich - Stanislas Wawrinka returns to the tour after taking a month off. With his gf Ilham Vuilloud on his side the Romand ( Romand = Swiss from French speaking part of Switzerland) wants to conquer Roland Garros.

After being away for a month on a break it's time for serious business again for Stanislas Wawrinka. Next week he's playing at the clay tournament of Madrid which debuts this year.

The Romand wants to use tournament which is held in the Spanish capital mostly to prepare for his favourite part of the season: RG.

He wants to finally go really strong at the GS tournament RG which starts on 25 May.

"The FO is my favourite tournament. I will try everything I can to go really far in this tourmanent, but obviously I can't promise anything", said Wawrinka during his interview with Blick.ch.
No doubt: Stan is doing everything to be successful.

Stan revealed Blick.ch at the opening of the Lacoste boutique in Zürich that he will take his own personal lucky charm to Paris: his gf Ilham Vuilloud (34 years old), moderator on TSR (TSR = national French speaking channel in Switzerland) will accompany the Olympic champion in doubles to the city of love.

-

A well-established team: Ilham Vuilloud and Stan Wawrinka.

Stan Wawrinka has been in a relationship with the Swiss tv moderator Ilham Vouilloud - who is 10 years older than him - for four years. Pictures of the couple are quite rare to find. Together they support the foundation "telethon" (telephone + marathon = telethon). Telethon helps people with genetic diseases.

-

Stan and RG

Roland Garros is Stan's self-proclaimed favourite tournament. Hardly suprising: In 2003 he won the junior GS here in Paris. On the men's tour it hasn't been enough yet to get the big one. Never has Stan been further than the 3rd round. Las year he dispatched Cilic nand Kohlschreiber convincingly before bowing out to Chilean Fernando Gonzalez in a tight match. Even though he had been leading 2:0 in sets he lost.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #70
country flag schorsch

http://www.blick.ch/people/schweiz/a...m-roger-118760

Quote:
"Everything revolves around Roger"

The Swiss tennis ace Stanislas Wawrinka (24) is the nr.13 in the world ranking, but nobody seems to care that much.

Blick met Stan at the Niederdorf (shopping street in Zurich) and talked with him about his life on the tennis circuit.

Stan Wawrinka, how is it possible that you can walk around Zurich nearly unnoticed despite your big tennis results?
SW: A win in the QF or SF of a big tournament isn't that interesting for most people.

But tennis is more popular than ever in Switzerland...
SW: Yes, but only because Roger Federer has been winning pretty much everything the past 4 or 5 years, so winning tournaments is being taken for granted now.

Does that bother you?
SW: I just think it's a pity. One doesn't see the big accomplishments of a player anymore. We don't have that many top player in Switzerland, so the support of the crowd is even more important. But everything revolves only around Roger! What the others doesn't have a significance anymore for most people. Everyone thinks it's so easy to win, because Roger has always been winning. You can't even imagine how difficulut it is to even be a top50 player.

Do you feel left in the shadow compared to Roger Federer?
SW: I don't care about getting headlines in newspapers. I am happy with my life and I have the privilege to do what I love most: to play tennis. Roger is a good friend of mine and I don't blame him at all. It's just the Swiss's' attitude that bothers me.

If Switzerland didn't have Roger Federer you'd be a star.
SW: (laughs) Yes, maybe. But my goal is to perform to the best of my abilities. This is the only thing that matters!

Last edited by schorsch : 05-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #71
country flag schorsch

Yahoo and Lacoste are working together now which means that Eurosport's webpage will have special blogs, interviews and other features with Lacoste players and experts...
Among them: Stan

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis...slas-wawrinka/

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis...le/article/14/

Quote:
Stanislas Wawrinka: "In Roland-Garros erinnere ich mich immer an alles!"

Mo 18.Mai. 14:54

In den Tagen vor Roland-Garros präsentieren wir Ihnen eine Interviewreihe, in der unsere Gesprächspartner über ihre persönlichen Erinnerungen an das Turnier reden. Den Anfang macht der Schweizer Stanislas Wawrinka. Wenn man mit ihm über das Pariser Grand-Slam-Turnier spricht, beginnen seine Augen sofort zu leuchten.

Welche Kindheitserinnerungen haben Sie an Roland-Garros?

Schwierig zu sagen. Ich würde sagen, die erste ist das Jahr, in dem Marc Rosset ins Halbfinale gekommen ist. Wenn ich mich recht erinnere, hat er auf dem Weg dahin Jakob Hlasek geschlagen (A. d. Red.: Stimmt, in der dritten Runde). Ein rein schweizerisches Match in einem Grand-Slam-Turnier, das vergisst man nicht! Im romanischen Teil der Schweiz haben wir auch französisches Fernsehen, ich konnte also praktisch vierzehn Tage durchgehend vor der Kiste sitzen bleiben.

Roland-Garros ist das Grand-Slam-Turnier, das mich als Kind am meisten fasziniert hat.

Wann waren Sie zum ersten Mal im Stadion?
Bei den offenen französischen Juniorenmeisterschaften 2003. Im Stadion kam mir alles riesig vor, ob nun die Gänge oder die Plätze. Aber das Gefühl hat man ja durchaus öfter, wenn man an solche Orte kommt.

Erinnern Sie sich noch an Ihr erstes Spiel?

Das war auch noch bei den Junioren. Ich erinnere mich noch an alles. Es war Platz 6 oder 7, das verwechsle ich dauernd. Ich musste gegen den Franzosen Josselin Ouanna antreten. Der kam gerade von einem Satellitenturnier in Portugal zurück, wo er sehr gut gespielt hatte. Ich gewann aber mit 6:7, 6:2 und 6:3. Das ist eine tolle Erinnerung, zumal es mein erstes Grand-Slam-Turnier bei den Junioren war.

Und Ihr erster Titel?

Ich hatte logischerweise vor Roland-Garros schon einige Juniorenturniere gespielt. Diese allerdings mit mäßigem Erfolg. Und dann komme ich nach Roland-Garros zu meinem ersten Grand-Slam und gewinne! Das wird auf ewig etwas Besonderes für mich bleiben.

Machen wir mal einen Sprung von zwei Jahren zu Ihrem ersten Roland-Garros-Auftritt bei den Profis. Sie haben die Qualifikation durchgespielt und standen vor Ihrem ersten Spiel im Hauptfeld ...
Gegen den Chilenen Nicolas Massu! Sieg in vier Sätzen! Und wie schon bei meinem ersten Spiel bei den Junioren war es Platz 6 oder 7. Och erinnere mich noch gut daran, dass die chilenischen Fans mächtig Stimmung gemacht haben. Es war eine Erstrundenpartie, aber ich hatte ja schon die Qualifikation hinter mir und war deshalb schon gut eingespielt. Es war also in Roland-Garros, wo ich mein erstes Grand-Slam-Turnier gewonnen habe. Eine tolle Erinnerung.
--------

Quote:
Stanislas Wawrinka: I always remember everything about RG!

A few days before RG we will present you a series of interviews in which we will get to know some personal memories of players and experts of RG.
We're going to start with Stanislas Wawrinka. When one talks to him about the Parisian GS tournament his eyes start to shine immediately.

Do you have any childhood memories of RG?

It's tough to say. I'd say the first year in which Marc Rosset reached the SF. If I remember correctly he beat Jakob Hlasek (Stan's right). A Swiss duel in a GS, that's not something you forget! In the French speaking part of Switzerland you've got the French channels as well (France 1,2,3,4 etc.) therefore I was able to watch for 14 days non-stop.
RG was the tournament that fascinated me the most when I was a kid.

When was the first time you were at the stadium?

During the French Junior Championships in 2003. Everything seemed so big to me in the stadium wether it would be the hallways or the courts. But you get this type of feeling a lot when you go to such places.

Do you remember your first match at RG?

My first match was on the Junior Tour. I can still remember everything. It was on court 6 or 7. I always mix up the courts. I had to play Josselin Ouanna of France. He just had played really well in a satellite in Portugal. I won 6:7 6:2 6:3. That's a great memory, because it was my first Junior GS.

And your first title?

I had obviously played a few Junior tournament before RG, but only with moderate success. And then I play my first GS at RG and I win it right away! This will always be something special to me.

Two years after that you had your first appearance in the men's competition at RG. You qualified for the maindraw...

Against the Chilean Nicolas Massu! A win in four sets! And like my first match in juniors' this was played on court 6 or 7. I still remember the Chilean fans who really created a great atmosphere. It was a first round match, but I had already played quallies, so I already had a very good rhythm.
So, it was RG where I won my first GS title.
A great memory.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #72
country flag stroopery

stroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond repute

bless stani. hope the coming RG would be as memorable to him as his first one !

thanks for the translation, schorsch!

This girl adores Roger ♥ Stanley ♥ Marat ♥ Verdasco

Swiss Davis Cup team owns me.
Severin Luthi ♥ Stanislas Wawrinka ♥ Marco Chiudinelli ♥ Yves Allegro ♥ Stephane Bohli
HOPP SUISSE !!
stroopery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #73
country flag Ciarán.

Ciarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond reputeCiarán. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Schorsch
Ciarán. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #74
country flag Eden
Thanks for a great year

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

I translated an interview with Stan:

Quote:
"I'm satisfied where I'm standing"

After Roger Federer Stanislas Wawrinka is the #2 in Swiss tennis. He seeks for a place in the top 10 of world tennis, which he has been a member of in 2008. The 24 years old answered the questions in an interview shortly before the French Open.

On Sunday Roland Garros is starting in Paris. Does this tournament especially lie at your heart?

Stanislas Wawrinka: Yes, Paris is my favourite tournament. The matches there were the ones which I was able to watch the most on tv during my youth. And it is a Grand Slam which is played on clay. Because I was able to win the tournament in 2003 as a junior it is something special for me.

Is this junior title another pressure for you when you appear in Paris?

No. Just because I was able to win here as a junior that doesn't mean I'm going to triumph at the big tournament. That's two different worlds. A good junior doesn't automatically become a Grand Slam winner at the elite.

You have said that clay isn't only your favourite surface any more. Why?

I made huge progresses on the other surfaces. I'm feeling good everywhere. Clay stays the surface where the best players make the less problems for me because I'm able to read their game better there. It has to be said that there has been a development on the surfaces at the tournaments. They have become slower.

When you won in 2006 in the final of Umag against Novak Djokovic he has been widely unknown. Today the Serbian has won a Grand Slam tournament with the Australian Open and plays amongst the top of the rankings. You are currently the #18 and want to get back into the top 10...

To say that I want to win a Grand Slam would be quite bold. Yes, I have won the tournament in Umga, but Novak has always been better as me. Therefore I don't have any problems to see where he is today and where I am. I'm not jealous of him. I'm satisfied where I'm standing today and I'm working continually to get better.

It seems as there is only seperating you very little from the absolute best players in the rankings. It's mainly about details. What do you need to get to the next level?

I'm lacking one or the other victory against those top players. The matches against Djokovic in Monte Carlo or in Madrid against Del Potro have been really close. It's only a question of trust. I'm making progresses, that's for sure, but also the other guys...

Your victory against Federer in Monte Carlo is one of those victories which brings you to the front, right?

Yes, even though I know like everyone else that he wasn't in a good form that day. But of course it is good for the self-confidence. As a result is is a victory against Federer.

Where are the differences between you and the top 5?

Those guys are always present and reaching the final stage of a tournament. They neither doubt their game nor their level. It's all about that.

You are 24 years old. What are your aims? Do you want to be #1? Do you dream of winning at certain tournaments?

To be #1 is for now no aim for me. I try my best, invest a lot and hope to get back into the top 10. That is my first aim. I have many dreams, but I keep them for myself.

How do you see the "slump" of Federer, which he has been into lately? Do you talk with him about this phase?

Firstly I have the impression that he isn't that bad. Beside this: Doesn't he just have won a big tournament? It's mainly the public and the media who rate his situation as disastrous. But he is still the #2 in the world! He has won so much that people weren't used to see him losing. It happens that we talk about it, but he is experienced enough to handle the situation.

Source of original article: http://sport.sf.tv/nachrichten/archi...n_wo_ich_stehe
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #75
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation, Doris. It's much appreciated.

Nice to hear that Stan is feeling good on other surfaces but clay.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote