°_° - Stan's news - °_° - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #46
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

Thanks for posting the interview, Eden.

Stan , it would be nice to get the year off to a positive start in Chennai, I think. I believe it has the weakest line-up that week, so hopefully it will go well for Stan.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #47
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thehindu.com/2009/01/03/s...0357021700.htm

Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Saturday, Jan 03, 2009

A satisfying year for Wawrinka

Nandita Sridhar

— Photo: S.S. Kumar

OPTIMISTIC: Stanislas Wawrinka, practising at the Nungambakkam Tennis Stadium on Friday,
hopes to make a good impression at the Chennai Open.

Chennai: Stanislas Wawrinka was allowed just a brief release from countryman Roger Federer’s shadow after his hour-long practice session at the Nungambakkam Tennis Stadium. Questions on Federer took little time to surface, but Wawrinka, aware of his countryman’s role in his career growth, was happy to oblige.

The 23-year-old Swiss enjoyed a successful 2008, which saw him break into the top 10 and claim the Olympics doubles gold with Federer, which he revealed was the highlight of the year.

“The last season has been satisfying for me. I broke into the top 10 in June but slipped after that.

“The high point of the year was winning the Olympic gold with Roger Federer in the doubles event after defeating the American Bryan twins, Mike and Bob. It’s a great achievement to play with Roger, who is a living legend.

Learning from a legend

“I cherish every moment and have learnt a lot from him. Just watching him itself has taught me so much. I did feel the pressure initially when I played with him, but we started clicking well together as a team, and I’m more comfortable and confident now. Personally, I do believe Roger can regain his No.1 spot, even though Rafael Nadal is a very tough player. I believe it can happen this year, ” said the second seed at the Chennai Open.

The year wasn’t without difficulties for Wawrinka, after tendonitis put the breaks on his progress in February.

“I suffered a three-month setback, tearing a tendon in my right knee while practising for the Swiss Davis Cup team’s tie against Spain in February. It definitely was a difficult phase of my career and I am happy it’s better now.

“I hope to regain my position in the top 10 this year and will try my best in making that happen. I am looking forward to a great start at the Chennai Open. I am sure things will be good for me and I will have many victories this year.”

First appearance

“I’ve never played in Chennai before. Doing well here now is very important. I have just an exhibition event before the Australian Open, so I need to do my best here. The Chennai Open is one of the top circuits and I will look to have a victory in my name.”
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #48
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goergo.in/?p=3277&id=5

Swiss Rising

By Ayon Sengupta
Posted on December 29, 2008 | 07:38 pm · Filed Under Sport, Tennis

Stanislas Wawrinka’s six-year-long professional tennis career has seen a lot of ups and downs and it’s only of late that the Swiss No. 2 has blossomed to become one of the most compact players in the ATP circuit. Though predominantly a clay court player with a strong backhand, he has now developed an all-round game.

Since recovering from a knee-tendon injury in 2006, he has claimed his place as the next Swiss sensation after the legend Roger Federer. Ahead of his participation at the Chennai Open, the world No. 13 shares his hopes and aspirations for the coming season.

You had a relatively good 2008, what are your plans for the 2009 season?

Wawrinka: Yes, the year has been good for me including by winning the Olympics gold medal and also reaching the finals of Doha and the ATP Masters Series at Rome. The year has overall been good for me and I am sure the next year, starting the new season with Chennai Open, I hope to have a victory and have a great year to come ahead.

What is the highlight of 2008, winning the Olympic gold partnering Federer?

Wawrinka: Well yes, the Olympic Gold medal also plays been an important achievement for me. I teamed up with Roger Federer in the men’s doubles. Roger is a very good friend of mine and until recently he was the No. 1 in the world. We share a very good rapport and respect each other’s game. It was a great learning experience playing with him at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I cherish every movement I played with him. I have learned a lot from him.

You had beaten Indian pair of Paes and Bhupathi in the quarterfinals in Olympics. Do you think the Indian fans will remember that and give you a hard time?

Wawrinka: Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Peas are great players and have really made their country proud they have done wonders and have reached in the top position with their respective partners. I wish them all the best for the year to come. Well we play at different country with different players I don’t think it will be a problem for us.

This is your first visit to India? What do you know about the culture and the place? What are you expecting from the trip?

Wawrinka: Yes! This will be my first visit to India and I am very excited to play at the Chennai Open. India is a country with diverse cultures. I have heard the people in Chennai are very warmth in nature and are very soft person.

I would definitely like to see the place if time permits. The tournament has become very popular on the tour and I would like to use this opportunity to gain some valuable points in the build up to the Australian Open.

Didn’t you feel worried to come to India after the recent terror attacks?

Wawrinka: Well no, terror has strike at many places around the globe. That doesn’t mean we stop going to the place where it has happened. IMG, the organizers have always taken good care of the safety of the players and I am confident that they would ensure the same as per the desired guidelines in co-ordination with ATP for this tournament as well.

You have an excellent Davis Cup record. Do you feel more motivated playing for the country?

Wawrinka: Yes, playing for the country is anytime more than winning any grand slam victory or the ATP Masters win. I will always play for my country and then for the tournament. It’s really a proud feeling to win a tournament for your country.

What do you rate as your biggest victory till date and why?

Wawrinka: Well both If I need to choose there are two important victory for me that I can think about, I had reached the No 9th Position as on June 2008 and now I am at the no 13th Position with 302 points. It’s been an overall satisfying year for me. The Olympic Gold medal was the defining moment and an important achievement for me.

We both defeated the favourites American Bryan twins, Mike and Bob, 7-6(6), 6-4 in the semi-finals. We then went ahead and defeated Simon Aspelin and Thomas Johansson of Sweden in the finals, 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-3.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #49
country flag Getta

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...526337390.html

Wawrinka ends hopes of local Klein

Wednesday 21 January 2009
By Katy Ghassemi

Winning against the world No.16 Stanislas Wawrinka was always going to be a tough ask for Australian wildcard entrant Brydan Klein, but despite a straight-sets loss, the 19-year-old from Perth put up an admirable fight before going down 6-3 6-4 6-4.

Advancing to the second round of a major for the first time, Klein got off to a shaky start in the first set, the Swiss breaking the young Australian’s serve early to take a 3-1 lead.

With the crowd on his side, Klein drew back to 3-5, and had an opportunity to break the Swiss’ serve. However, Wawrinka, who has a 25-15 win-loss record at Grand Slams, drew on his experience, producing a number of well-placed shots to take the set 6-3 in 35 minutes.

Wawrinka continued attacking Klein’s serve in the second set, again breaking early on to take a 2-0 lead. Despite the setback, the Australian did well to stay close to the Swiss, hitting six forehand winners and producing some fine drop shots. Klein was unable to break Wawrinka’s serve to get ahead in the match, and the frustrated youngster began to lose his composure. Capitalising, Wawrinka went on to take the set 6-4.

While Klein won the opening game of the third set to love, the Australian began to make an increasing number of unforced errors, allowing the Swiss to take out the match in just under two hours.

Wawrinka now progresses to the third round, where he’ll play against Tomas Berdych. The Czech No. 20 seed won 6-1 6-1 6-3 against Argentina’s Brian Dabul earlier on Wednesday.

Quick facts

Klein hit eight aces during the match to Wawrinka’s four

Klein had 33 unforced errors to Wawrinka’s 23

Wawrinka converted three of 10 break point chances, while Klein couldn’t capitalise on the only break point opportunity he had in three sets
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #50
country flag Tommy fan

Tommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond repute

23 UE's for a match is not bad.. something like 8 per set..

Nalbandian ~Gasquet ~ Sela ~ Wawrinka
Safin!!
Tommy fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #51
country flag Getta

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...rom=public_rss

Stanislas Wawrinka shocks James Blake to give Swiss 1-0 lead

From correspondents in Birmingham, Alabama
March 07, 2009

Stanislas Wawrinka shrugged off the absence of Roger Federer, stunning American James Blake 3-6 6-4 6-3 7-6 (7/3) to give Switzerland a 1-0 lead in their Davis Cup World Group tie.

Wawrinka, who won Olympic doubles gold in Beijing with Federer, humbled Blake in exactly three hours.

It was a good start for a Swiss team feeling the absence of world No.2 Federer, who skipped the tie with a sore back and plans to return to action next week at the Masters tournament in Indian Wells, California.

It was up to Andy Roddick to save face for the overwhelming favourites and 32-times champions United States as he faced untried Marco Chiudinelli later Friday.

Chiudinelli is playing for the first time in an away tie for the patched-together Swiss squad.

Wawrinka now boasts an impressive 3-0 record over Blake, whose fragile confidence over the past six months made him a prime upset candidate.

“I served very well,'' said Wawrinka, who fired 20 aces and 57 winners as he rallied from a first-set deficit.

“It was a tough first match for us. I'm really glad to win this one.''

Wawrinka bounced back quickly after dropping the first set as Blake looked to be setting up a quick afternoon of work in front of a sold-out crowd of 15,000.

But Wawrinka had other plans as he preyed on the American, who was returning to Davis Cup action after withdrawing from the semi-final squad last September against Spain citing mental and physical fatigue.

The weakness for the 29-year-old has continued into 2009, with a modest San Jose semi-final his lone result of note this season.

Blake fell behind an early break in the second set as Wawrinka levelled the match at a set apiece.

The quietly confident Swiss continued to ratchet up the pressure as Blake went down with a final error count of 61 for his 10th Davis Cup defeat, his first loss in the competition since 2007.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #52
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute

DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: SWITZERLAND v USA

March 5, 2009

Marco Chiudinelli
Severin Luthi
Stanislas Wawrinka

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

THE MODERATOR: We'll start with questions, please.

Q. Captain, the alignment that you've got, the schedule that you've got, do you see any advantage to going with Wawrinka first?
CAPTAIN LUTHI: It's always the same question after the draw. I think we will see tomorrow evening already the score and then we know if it was an advantage or not.
I think it's not bad, but Stan still has to win the first match, then it's really an advantage for us.

Q. What do you think of Birmingham so far?
MARCO CHIUDINELLI: What do we think of Birmingham? We're staying in Hoover. Very nice out there, very relaxing. We haven't seen much of Birmingham, unfortunately, because the first few days we've been jetlagged a bit. We just practiced, then went to sleep all the time.
Since Tuesday, we try to focus on the encounter on the weekend. We basically stayed in every night in our hotel, yeah. Unfortunately we haven't seen anything, just the stadium and the hotel. Stadium's very nice, though. We hope we'll have a big crowd.

Q. How does it feel playing the first round away rather than at home? How much harder is it?
MARCO CHIUDINELLI: Maybe Stan can answer the question because I have never played away so far. I will only find out tomorrow (laughter).
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, you know, it's not easy. But I think we have less journalists because it's far away from Switzerland.
But, no, actually I think it's not gonna change something, you know. The people are quite more for the USA. But it's the same. We don't care to play away.

End of FastScripts
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #53
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute

March 6, 2009

Stanislas Wawrinka

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

S. WAWRINKA/J. Blake
3-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Stanislas.

Q. Are you officially tired of answering questions about Roger Federer?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, a little bit. But I think it's not the moment to ask a question about Roger. You know, all the week it's normal. Roger is one of the best player ever in the world. Everybody wants to know how he's feeling, how he's doing, if he's still on the team or not.
Everybody in the team disappointed he's not here. But now we are on the weekend. We are playing match. We try to do the best this weekend.

Q. Talk about the responsibility that you felt leading the team without Roger.
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, but for me it's not my first time without Roger, be No. 1 in the team. Twice I be the leader. I always try to push the team, to do my best, be an example for the team.
Today I was playing very good. The match, I'm very happy with the way I play, with all the support I get from the team. We have a great, great week practicing all together, great team spirit. Maybe that's why I won today.

Q. Did you come into this weekend feeling like you had to win all of your matches; that you would have to win two singles matches plus the doubles on Saturday?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I come this weekend, I think we are a team. We need to won three points. Is going to be very difficult because we are not favored. They are in the ranking better than all the team.
But I knew I need to won the first match. It was very tough. I try to play my best tennis to won against James. I'm very happy with the way I was playing. It was very important match for the rest of the weekend, I think.

Q. Did this match go the way you planned it out beforehand? Did you adjust to the way James was playing?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I knew Blake since long time. I always watching him. I like how he's playing. I know how he's playing. I think he was playing like he's doing every time. He's playing very good, actually.
I'm very happy with my game. I was focused on what I need to do to stay with the serve, to stay aggressive from the baseline, and to try to come to the net.
But he was tough today. But I think the serve was the key of the match.

Q. With Roger out, do you feel there's more pressure on you individually or do you feel there's less pressure on the entire team, since not many people expect you to win?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Maybe the both. I think if you try to do the best, and you do the best... I cannot won every match. I cannot win everybody every time when he's not here. I try to play my best tennis to help the team, and we'll see how is gonna be the weekend.

End of FastScripts
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #54
country flag schorsch

March 7, 2009

Yves Allegro
Severin Luthi
Stanislas Wawrinka

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

BRYAN-BRYAN/Allegro-Wawrinka
6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. One of the Bryan brothers guaranteed Andy would close it out tomorrow. How do you respond to that?
CAPTAIN LUTHI: Nice statement. I think we don't really care about what they said, honestly. If they said that they're going to close, it's good for them.
I tell you that it's going to be 2-0 after the match of Stan tomorrow. That's my statement.

Q. Stan, can you comment on your doubles play over the past few months, including the Olympics. You've become quite the doubles player. Are you going to play more doubles going forward? Do you enjoy it? Is it just because it's Davis Cup and Olympics?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, I play sometimes. But I cannot play the Grand Slam in doubles because it's too much to play singles in five sets and doubles.
I try to play a lot of times. I'm going to play in Indian Wells. I already play in Chennai. Yes, you know, the Davis Cup is always different. You play to win. You try to do your best. That's why I try to play very good in doubles in Davis Cup.
But actually, when I play doubles, I'm not playing so bad.

Q. Yves, the Bryans today became the most successful doubles team in U.S. history with this win. Can you just talk about what makes them so tough and solid as a doubles team in your eyes.
YVES ALLEGRO: They have been playing together against they basically born. So I think it's a big advantage. A big advantage that they have one lefty and one righty. I think it's huge in doubles. If you take all the best teams in the past, most of the time was one lefty and one righty. I think it's big.
Then they serve well and they're very strong at the net. It makes them tough to beat.

Q. Did you have a little letdown the first part of the tiebreaker? Didn't focus properly on the first couple points you lost?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: No, we try to be focused on the tiebreak and go for it. But I think they start very good. Then they were serving very good, so it was tough to come back to the tiebreak.
But we try the best, like always.

Q. There were a couple times you went to the chair umpire to complain about some things. Do you recall those? What were the instances there?
CAPTAIN LUTHI: No, was because of the let. Twice was very clear let. I don't understand how you cannot see that, or if the machine didn't work or whatever. They put machines, and then I cannot understand. From where I was sitting, it was a clear let. I mean, it was not even -- it was almost changing the direction. The third one was maybe not as clear, but I saw every time that Stan stopped to play, so that's why I was complaining.
I think that's what you have to do. They were complaining about a few line calls or whatever. I mean, that's part of the game. If I see something wrong going on, then I have to complain. That's my role.
So I think it was nothing special. Was just a wrong call, as you always have in the game.

End of FastScripts
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #55
country flag schorsch

March 8, 2009

Stanislas Wawrinka

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

A. RODDICK/S. Wawrinka
6-4, 6-4, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you tell if fatigue played any factor in your match today, playing two tough matches leading into this?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Of course, we see it was a tough match for me. But I think Andy played a great match. He was serving very good. No mistakes from the baseline. It was tough and difficult for me to stay aggressive.
Of course, I'm a little tired with the two first days. But, yeah, it was tough to be aggressive and to come to the net a lot of times because that's what I need to do against Andy.

Q. Talk about facing Andy's serve. Not only does he put pressure on you with your serve, but you have a lot of pressure to hold. How hard is it to play him in that respect?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, of course, is always the same when you play a player like that who have a big, big serve. Is always more pressure on my serve.
Today he was not only serving good, but he was playing very good. Like I said before, he never give me a point. I need to take every points. It was difficult to do that all the match.

Q. What was the problem with your left shoulder?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, but it was nothing special. I have already against James in the start of the game. It was just muscle. I don't know how to say in English.

Q. What was your strategy coming into the match? Were you looking to play longer points or did you want to attack more and come to the net?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Yeah, the strategy was to attack him. When he give some short ball, you need to come to the net to take care of the balls, to push him a lot.
He was playing too good for me today to do that.

Q. How does Birmingham compare in terms of other cities as far as a venue for a Davis Cup tie?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: It was a very nice week for us. But we stay like 20 minutes from the stadium. But it was a very nice hotel. Everything was very good. The organization was perfect. We have a nice hotel. We get everything we want.
The stadium all the weekend was very nice, too.

Q. Where does the team go from here? You go into relegation. Do you expect Roger to come back? Do you not know?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: Just after the match, I don't care a little bit. I'm disappointed with the weekend. To lost, of course, before the match we was not favorite. But I'm just disappointed with my match today. Yeah, I'm tired, too. I'll be waiting. I don't know when is the draw. I think Thursday or something like that. We'll see after which country we gonna play.

Q. Do you think Roger will play?
STANISLAS WAWRINKA: I don't know. I think we need to ask him or you need to ask him.

End of FastScripts
Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #56
country flag schorsch

Stanislas Wawrinka - Gut ist nicht genug (von Marcel Hauck)

Stanislas Wawrinka geht gegen Rafael Nadal an die Grenzen, bringt die Weltnummer 1 ganz schön ins Schwitzen. Blick nennt die vier Gründe, warum Stan noch kein ganz Grosser ist.

Das Dilemma ist Stanislas Wawrinka anzusehen. Frustriert sitzt er in den Katakomben des Tennisstadions auf der Ausflugsinsel Key Biscayne vor Miami. Er hat die vielleicht beste Partie seiner Karriere geliefert – und doch verloren.

Zweimal zwingt Wawrinka (24, ATP 17) den derzeit besten Tennisspieler des Planeten in ein Tie-Break, zweimal bleibt Rafael Nadal (22) ganz cool, gewinnt – wie gegen Roger Federer und fast jeden anderen – die entscheidenden Punkte. Warum steht Nadal im Viertelfinal, obwohl Wawrinka praktisch alles richtig macht?

# Die Erfahrung: Nadal ist zwar gut ein Jahr jünger als Wawrinka, hat aber schon acht Grand-Slam-Finals gespielt. Der Spanier wird nicht nervös wegen einer Night Session vor rund 10 000 Zuschauern. Wawrinka hingegen zeigte am Schluss der beiden Sätze Nerven.

# Die Klasse: «Ich musste heute sehr gut spielen», zeigt sich Nadal zufrieden mit seiner Leistung. Und dennoch: Während Wawrinka sein allerletztes Potenzial ausreizen musste, um nur schon am Mallorquiner dranzubleiben, konnte Nadal in den Tie-Breaks den Druck nochmals leicht erhöhen. «Das ist der Unterschied», analysiert Wawrinka.

# Die Fitness: Der Lausanner spielte von der Grundlinie äusserst druckvoll, liess sich von Nadal kaum in die Defensive drängen und überraschte ab und zu mit Netzangriffen. Nicht viele Gegner hätten dem standhalten können. Nadal schon. Sensationell, wie die Weltnummer 1 im zweiten Satz einen Stoppball erlief und so die Basis zum einzigen Break legte. Selbst, wenn Wawrinka den zweiten Satz gewonnen hätte, Nadal wäre auch bereit gewesen, nach 2:43 Stunden auf dem gleichen Niveau weiter*zuspielen.

# Die mentale Stärke: Wawrinka zeigte sich äusserst effizient, wehrte insgesamt elf von zwölf Breakchancen Nadals ab, meist mit krachenden Aufschlägen. Der Spanier zeigte sich darüber zwar ab und zu etwas verärgert, verlor jedoch nie die Nerven, wartete cool auf seine nächste Chance.

Wawrinka darf mit der fünf*wöchigen USA-Tournee dennoch zufrieden sein. Die Wettkampf*pause für ein intensives Trainingsprogramm nach den Australian Open zahlt sich definitiv aus. Die schlechter klassierten Gegner hatte er im Griff, an den Topcracks ist er nahe dran (in Indian Wells verlor er gegen Novak Djokovic ebenfalls 6:7, 6:7). Wawrinka weiss: «Nun muss ich aber den nächsten Schritt machen.»

-

article posted in one of the biggest newspapers in Switzerland, I'll translate soon.

Last edited by schorsch : 04-03-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #57
country flag schorsch

Stanislas Wawrinka - Goos is not good enough (by Marcel Hauck)

Stanislas Wawrinka goes to his limits against Rafael Nadal making the nr.1 sweat quite a bit for the win. Four reason why Stan still isn't one of the biggest players:

You can see the predicament in Stanislas Wawrinka. He's sitting - visibly frustrated - in the catacombs of the tennis stadium on the the tourists' island Key Biscayne near Miami. He may have played the best match in his career and still lost.

Wawrinka (24 yeard old, ATP 17) forces the currently best tennis player in the world twice to a tie-break and twice Rafael Nadal (22) remains composed and wins - like against Roger Federer and nearly everyone else - the critical points. Why is Nadal in the quarterfinals even though Wawrinka is doing practically everything right?

# The experience: Nadal might be around a year younger than Wawrinka, but has already played 8 GS finals. The Spaniard doesn't get nervous because of a night session in front 10000 spectactors. Wawrinka though showed nerves at the end of both sets.

# The "class": "I had to play very well today", Nadal said being content with his effort. And still: While Wawrinka had to make use of the last bit of his potential just to hang in there with the player of Mallorca, Nadal was able to slightly raise his level during the tie-breaks. "That's the difference", Wawrinka analyzes.

# The fitness: Wawrinka of Lausanne played very aggressively from the baseline, did hardly ever let Nadal make him play defensively and suprised Nadal with net attacks at times. Not many players could have coped with this. Nadal though can. It's sensational how Nadal ran down a dropshot in the second set and thus gave himself an opportunity to break. Even if Stan had won the second set Nadal would have been ready to play on the same level after 2h43min of play.

# The mental strength: Wawrinka was very efficient saving breakballs doing say eleven out of twelve times, more often than not with booming serves. The Spaniard seemed to be angry about that here and there, but still never let up and waited calmly for his next chances.

Wawrinka can still be happy about his results in the USA the past 5 weeks. The hiatus he took after the Australian Open to train intensively is certainly paying off. He's got the less ranked players down and is not far off from the top players (he also lost 67 67 against Novak Djokovic in Indian Wells). Wawrinka knows: "But now I have to make the next step."

sry for the rough translation, didn't have a lot of time
Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #58
country flag clever1980

clever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^

Thanks for the good work. He was pretty consistent during IW and Miami. I hope Stan will do even better coming tournaments.
clever1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #59
country flag stroopery

stroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond reputestroopery has a reputation beyond repute

thanks a lot schorsch !

i thought though the writer didn't tell us anything new that we don't already know. I mean, the points about rafa's strengths are pretty much onvious to almost everyone. However, I think stan can match him in terms of fitness/endurance and mental strength now. at least based on what we've seen during the past weeks in USA.

let's hope stan will make this next step during the clay season, starting with monte-carlo . come on, stan!

This girl adores Roger ♥ Stanley ♥ Marat ♥ Verdasco

Swiss Davis Cup team owns me.
Severin Luthi ♥ Stanislas Wawrinka ♥ Marco Chiudinelli ♥ Yves Allegro ♥ Stephane Bohli
HOPP SUISSE !!
stroopery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #60
country flag Tommy fan

Tommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond reputeTommy fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Schorsch

Nalbandian ~Gasquet ~ Sela ~ Wawrinka
Safin!!
Tommy fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote