US Open Series - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Open Series

Quiet thread here...

So, what do you think about Stan's chances in the US Open Series (Toronto -> Cincy -> US Open)? The Grass Court Swing have been promising for him in terms of consistency, and his mentality in those matches (like in Wimbledon when he was down how many points during the breaker against Lu and again against Lopez where he held his nerve in TBs and also his fight against Federer) and form I think he could do well. He has a good draw in Toronto, but has to be wary about anyone, especially Anderson whom he was defeated in HC, and his first defeat this season. After that he might face Dimitrov, in which he has lost to in Queen's Club (although it was grass and I could see Stan having a more consistent match here). Hope for a good rematch against Djokovic if both reaches the Semis. He has been sub-par in the Mandatories (only Masters he was successful was in MC where he won but that accounts for his "Others" than the secured points) and let us see how he plays here. Hope for a good HC season, hehe. What are your thoughts about the possible performance here?
Congrats to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
The ATP World Tour 2014: The 61 - From Brisbane to London.
Conclusion: Djokovic is the new Wawrinka 2014. argument. Even Slam winners play Mario! 2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
zjtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Open Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjtennis View Post
Quiet thread here...
Not only here

Players threads in general are not very active (anymore).

Quote:
So, what do you think about Stan's chances in the US Open Series (Toronto -> Cincy -> US Open)? The Grass Court Swing have been promising for him in terms of consistency, and his mentality in those matches (like in Wimbledon when he was down how many points during the breaker against Lu and again against Lopez where he held his nerve in TBs and also his fight against Federer) and form I think he could do well. He has a good draw in Toronto, but has to be wary about anyone, especially Anderson whom he was defeated in HC, and his first defeat this season. After that he might face Dimitrov, in which he has lost to in Queen's Club (although it was grass and I could see Stan having a more consistent match here). Hope for a good rematch against Djokovic if both reaches the Semis. He has been sub-par in the Mandatories (only Masters he was successful was in MC where he won but that accounts for his "Others" than the secured points) and let us see how he plays here. Hope for a good HC season, hehe. What are your thoughts about the possible performance here?
It's tough to say something about Stan's chances. His form this season is unpredictable. Whenever you thought he would go on a high he had a little let-down in the next tournament then.

Stan can gain many pints in the upcoming 2 Masters as he lost in R32 in both of the tournaments last year. At the USO he has a SF to defend though.

The Toronto draw looks promising on paper.

A match against Fognini would surely be interesting in hindsight to the Davis Cup encounter next month.

I'm surprised to see that Stan is going to play doubles with Novak in Toronto. They practiced today together.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Won't win any methinks.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Not only here

Players threads in general are not very active (anymore).

It's tough to say something about Stan's chances. His form this season is unpredictable. Whenever you thought he would go on a high he had a little let-down in the next tournament then.

Stan can gain many pints in the upcoming 2 Masters as he lost in R32 in both of the tournaments last year. At the USO he has a SF to defend though.

The Toronto draw looks promising on paper.

A match against Fognini would surely be interesting in hindsight to the Davis Cup encounter next month.

I'm surprised to see that Stan is going to play doubles with Novak in Toronto. They practiced today together.
I was also wondering why he is playing with Djokovic on doubles. Last time he did it was with Federer on IW, and while they did go deep I wonder if it had a slight effect on his singles matches. No offense to Djokovic, but in terms of doubles I am not sure if he is a good fit, as doubles are more first strike while Djokovic is a solid consistent type. I agree I hope he does well as last year he had seemingly bad losses I think and his draw seems to be the 2nd easiest next to Ferrer on paper IMO.
Conclusion: Djokovic is the new Wawrinka 2014. argument. Even Slam winners play Mario! 2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
country flag zjtennis

Nice to see Stan fighting for it on his match against Paire having saved a Match Point too. I think he has a good chance to go to the Semis here, but needs to lift up his level. Who knows though maybe it his strategy to start slow to conserve in the latter stages. How was the backhand doing?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
country flag zjtennis

Well this is underwhelming. I thought he would ready for Anderson this time, but with Stan being a little lacking something and Anderson's serving he wasn't even able to get a Set. Next is Cinci where he also exited early last year. He really has bad results on Round of 16s on Masters this year (All of them R16 exits except for non-mandatory MC where he won and Madrid where he lost in the R32) and I hope he just gets to the QF -- around that time, he usually is pumped to face top players (see his effort against Federer in Wimbledon) but feel nervous against lower players now. Funny (not so) that from having a block against top players, now he has a block against lower ranked players, which I hope at least next year, he keeps his form and fixes that too.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
country flag zjtennis

Stan seeded 3 for USO! Still after a bizarre QF loss in Cinci IMO, let us see how he does in USO in which he has SF points. Without Nadal it should be easier for him (and for everyone) but that means he probably could meet Fed and Djokovic at the SF and F. I think BO5 could help him get into form. It seemed to have worked well for him in Wimbledon.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stan seeded 3 for USO! Still after a bizarre QF loss in Cinci IMO, let us see how he does in USO in which he has SF points. Without Nadal it should be easier for him (and for everyone) but that means he probably could meet Fed and Djokovic at the SF and F. I think BO5 could help him get into form. It seemed to have worked well for him in Wimbledon.
Good post. I agree.
He can reach SF without his best form.
For more, he needs his A game from AO2013 and parts of AO2014.

Titel [FITD]: Winner of Sydney 2012, Memphis 2013, French Open 2013, s'Hertogenbosch 2014 & Metz 2014
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012, Montpellier 2013 & Barcelona 2014
[TT Singles]: Challenger Rennes 2014
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
country flag zjtennis

The second player to reach the 2nd Round is Stan! Have to say, the serve has been doing well in his match against Bellucci, which was almost nonexistent lately. He should capitalize on 1st serves because he such has a high percentage when he wins those while lately struggling 2nd Serves. I noticed he didn't force the ball and capitalized on placement which is nice.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
country flag passingshotDTL
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~

passingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond reputepassingshotDTL has a reputation beyond repute

On to the QFs, baby! After defying the 2-6 H2H vs Robredo and notching the second GS victory this year against him. What a match.

Now Kei next in the QFs.
Paire
passingshotDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
country flag zjtennis

So Kei is next. Good thing he really stayed in focus against Robredo, even when behind. He still seems quite off. BH still vulnerable from rallies and needs to bump up solid serving (although did show a clutch performance last match).