Is Raonic the most underrated player on MTF? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #31
country flag Gliese581

Gliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Raonic the most underrated player on MTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Raonic (.704 win percentage career) is a significantly better hard court player over his career than Dimitrov (.550). I have little doubt he'll make up the ground when that part of the season starts.
yeah but like i said the problem isnt just catching up to dimitrov . Murray is best in this latter stage of the season and marin is as well. he has a lot of work to do and i just think the guys ahead of him have such a lead at this point that it will be hard.

I didnt say impossible but it will be hard and he'll definately need some help in terms of one of those guys hitting a rough patch
Gliese581 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #32
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliese581 View Post
he's 700 points behind 8th ranked dimitrov right now and were almost at the half way mark so he's going to need some help. he'll need to continue what he's been doing this year but also hope that the guys ahead of him drop off and do nothing the rest of the year which isnt likely to happen. Looking at the guys ahead of him he's really unlikely to catch up to many of them. the most likely would be nishikori and thats more because i could see injuries holding him back. You also have to take in to account that murray is ahead of him by a couple hundred and his best part of the season is yet to come

id actually call raonic a long shot for the WTF now .. yeah there's a lot of time left but the guys ahead of him have such a massive lead that they basically only have to make sure to either equal raonic at the big events or lose close enough to him that it really wont matter what he does.

i see him finish just outside again
Raonic has only played one non-mandatory event so far, in Oeiras. Most guys ahead of him have played more 250s and one or two 500s; at the end of the year, everyone counts the same # of non-mandatories so the current race is a bit deceptive in that regard. In mandatory events, Dimitrov has gathered less points than Raonic so far, but he was won a 500 and a 250 - results that Raonic is definitely capable of matching when he plays those events later in the season.

With that said, I don't think Raonic is one of the best 8 players right now and he will need some help (more than the one already received with del Potro's season-ending injury) to actually make it, but he's in with a chance, that's for sure, especially if he keeps his regularity in the bigger events.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #33
country flag Gliese581

Gliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who overrates him here? If you're referring to me, I personally don't think he should be ranked any higher than what he is right now, he's not nearly consistent enough to be on the level of a guy like Berdych yet. He's the 9th or 10th best player in the world right now (depending on Kei's health).
do you mean at this current state in time or as a general rule? because id think tsonga would be top 10 and ahead of him if he wasnt playing like crap
Gliese581 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
do you mean at this current state in time or as a general rule? because id think tsonga would be top 10 and ahead of him if he wasnt playing like crap
Here's a list of players who are definitely better than Raonic right now:

Nadal
Djokovic
Federer
Wawrinka
Berdych
Ferrer
Nishikori (well, when fit anyway)

del Potro is out so he doesn't count of course, Murray will be better if he gets back to anything close to top form, but for now definitely not, nothing he's done this year suggests he should be higher regarded than Raonic.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #35
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tsonga basically hasn't played well since the French Open last year. No way I'm putting him ahead of Milos.
MaratandMilos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #36
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

He's the most unwatchable player in the top 100.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #37
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem with Raonic as many people have stated is that he's not easy on the eye. He has an awkward game and frame, nothing seems to work/fit.

I'm not saying there isn't talent there, his forehand has come a long way, but as far as aesthetics (physically and play-wise), there are none. This means he will always have an uphill battle with tennis fans.

On the flip side, people seem to warm to Dimitrov for purely the opposite reasons, even if he is yet to truly prove himself.
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #38
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, no. Does he have any big wins under his belt?
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #39
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who overrates him here? If you're referring to me, I personally don't think he should be ranked any higher than what he is right now, he's not nearly consistent enough to be on the level of a guy like Berdych yet. He's the 9th or 10th best player in the world right now (depending on Kei's health).
I think some people overrate his ceiling. He could be very good, maybe even win a Slam in the upcoming very weak few years, but that's it. He's got too many holes to ever be truly great.

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #40
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
I think some people overrate his ceiling. He could be very good, maybe even win a Slam in the upcoming very weak few years, but that's it. He's got too many holes to ever be truly great.
Depends how you define "truly great." I haven't seen these people with extraordinarily high expectations for him.
MaratandMilos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #41
country flag BestOfTheHistori

BestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
You're probably right. Maybe if MTF watched more Milos' matches they wouldn't call him a servebot.

I can't remember when was the last time on ATP Tour, I've seen someone hit so many killer returns in a 2-setter, that Raonic hit against Nishikori in Madrid. He's much better at ROS, or rallies, than guys like Isner (as much as I like him), Karlovic, etc.
he still needs to improve his conditioning. Thats the reason why he lost Gasquet at the US open, he was the better player. Mentally I think he could improve a bit too, especially against top players. I saw him outplay Wawrinka in 1st set in MC and then fade after some bad luck.
Davis Cup Champion - 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011
Olympic Gold Medalist - 2008
ATP Weeks at No.1 - 130+

23 > 10 = /thread
BestOfTheHistori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #42
country flag BestOfTheHistori

BestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond reputeBestOfTheHistori has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Most people would completely disagree with you there. I am still undecided ATM, need to see him beats the likes of Nadal, Nole, Federer, Ferrer. Wawrinka, Murray (except clay)
Davis Cup Champion - 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011
Olympic Gold Medalist - 2008
ATP Weeks at No.1 - 130+

23 > 10 = /thread
BestOfTheHistori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #43
country flag InfoKenway

InfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond repute

He gets ridiculously easy draws this year. His masters results are QF,QF,QF,R16,SF and he beat only 3 top 40 players.

Sometimes Support:Wawrinka,Ferrer,Kohlschreiber,L.Mayer,Verdasco,Mel zer,Gabashvili,Herbert,Thiem,Cuevas,Andrey Kuznetsov
I hate Robredo and Raonic
InfoKenway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #44
country flag ClaudiaBUK

ClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think hes underrated by people here but I think its more of a distaste of his style of play, not his results. Much like Nadal.

MURRAY - FEDERER - WARD - EVANS - WAWRINKA - DEL POTRO
ClaudiaBUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #45
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
LOL funny but actually true. Seems like he is so bad he is going to lose all matches and even when he is favourite and wins, he always plays bad and anti-tennis and yet the guy is already 13-time slam winner and currrent numeber 1 of the world. I wonder how other guys play. Must be club level.
agree. its nadal by far, mtf hates him and underrates him so much

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Berankis-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Kike Lopez-Perez
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote