The MTF Best Song Game #4 | congratulations to tripwires! - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The MTF Best Song Game #4 | Theme: the 1970s songs

OK this is a tough decision .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #32
country flag Droog

Droog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in. Very hard choice, and desperately resisting the urge to pick something by Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or any of the other more obvious choices.
to perform well beyond usual levels and achieve legendary status in the process

Federer, Dimitrov, Murray, Tsonga
Djokovic, Gasquet, Dolgopolov, Monfils, Haas, Goffin, Tomic
Droog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
country flag Featherer

Featherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond reputeFeatherer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko05 View Post
fair points...but what if my 'rare' song doesn't appeal to you, would you vote for it just because it's not mainstream?
-->
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherer View Post
the main joy of this game is to discover new/unknown (and of course appealing) songs, isnt it?[/color]
the original pink color in combination with the smaller font size might have been blocked by your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog View Post
I'm in. Very hard choice, and desperately resisting the urge to pick something by Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or any of the other more obvious choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
Agreed, but each person has its own willing, so we cannot judge on them if they want to send massive known songs. For sure I will do my part on giving them less points than I would probably give. Only if the songs I don't know are terrible, lol.

Anyway, in this particular theme it may be harder to not send very well known songs, because very few of us (if not any) were borned listening to these songs, so what we usually know are the classics, and the classics... well... they are universally known.

(not in rant mood today/sunday. the bolded sections mainly in order to separate a text, that, oh well, got a bit long at the end.)

slight inequalities among the contestants are the spice of every competition.
(imagine David Ferrer stood 9 feet tall or everybody had Nadal's stamina + biceps and could produce heavy topspin over 5 sets...)

if you dont have sound knowledge of the 70s, then your chances of winning the contest are reduced of course - and in a way rightfully so.
even if "Stairway to heaven" was the only song you know from the 70s, by submitting it you would still mainly just benefit from the "loophole" in the form of the amateurish jury situation, we unintentionally generate.
am i too harsh? people here always seem to yearningly await the revelation of the votes / the final showdown. and then the results turn out to be "never in doubt" more or less. for how long will that remain exciting for us?

note that i didnt criticise the entry song choices of the contestants in the first place, but the voting behavior.
true, that in turn means you would think twice now before submitting "Stairway to heaven",
but that slight inconvenience for the individual is for the good of the whole game.

in other words, everybody shall be free to submit the songs they want, i just hope the terms of reward will change.

...of course, in case you discovered music (as such) only recently or you are say from China and "Stairway to heaven" is genuinely new to you, then you might give it 12 points. no problem!
generally i dont intend to put sort of moral pressure on people here, and there are exceptions possible in various regards.
its rather the thing that to the vast majority of cases most of what i say might apply.

everybody just keep in mind the benefit(/sense) of the game and see what you can do (->i.e. my zero-points suggestion). that would be fine already.

...so feel free to submit f.i.:
UriahHeep - Lady in black
Simon+Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water (and El Condor pasa)
George Harrison - My sweet lord
T.Jacks - Seasons in the sun
Gary Moore - Parisienne walkways
LedZeppelin - Kashmir
and most of Queen, DeepPurple, PinkFloyd, the Doors and the RollingStones.

i will give you zero points then most likely , but maybe other people who dont know these songs/bands (or who just submit but barely care about the voting part) will give you more.
on the other hand, there may very well be also some 70s "classics" out there that i've never heard in my life (i'm not a music freak at all) and make me gladly hand many points to them.
thats the game.

...let me end with some tip:
there are many 70s classics that sound quite old (grandpa Rock) for modern ears (Nazareth - This flight tonight f.i.).
on the other hand there are also 70s tracks of rather modern or timeless sound, that were not so extremely successful/famous back then, but would possibly perform reasonably well nowadays. go smell them out and fetch me them!
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Fed demolishing Dimitrov will be normal, boring, mundane. We have enough of it in our lives already.
We want something unusual, wonderful and unexpected, turning point, magic.
Hence everybody hyping Dimitrov. We want a fairy tale.
Featherer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #34
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Sent finally. Hardest decision ever .

And I refuse to give zero points to songs I know well . So vote-whores, if I like the song it doesn't matter for me how well-known it is.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #35
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer 1770s musicz, but fair play..

In
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #36
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

sent mine

Hotel California and the likes are getting zero from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #37
country flag FlameOn

Vote-whoring might backfire for me as I may not like the song however, it should be said.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #38
country flag mcarvalho

mcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond reputemcarvalho has a reputation beyond repute

If we all give zero points to all the classics then is possible to have another victory for Joy Division here. Boring...
mcarvalho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #39
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

When can we see the list of songs submitted?
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #40
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

on friday i suppose

no stairway to heaven yet

actually it's going to be (so far) cool edition. some diversity and the submitted classics are cool (at least to me, and i usually puke with classics... though i admit puke the least with classic from 60s and 70s)

i want something else to get me through this life....

Last edited by Nathaliia : 05-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
country flag FlameOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
on friday i suppose

no stairway to heaven yet

actually it's going to be (so far) cool edition. some diversity and classics are cool (at least to me, and i usually puke with classics)
Spirit's "Taurus" is better anyway . But released in '69 I think so ineligable.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
Hotel California and the likes are getting zero from me
That song actually deserves a 0 on merits, not just because it's been overplayed to death.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

just remembered Blood on the Tracks and Born to Run, should've spent more time considering

certainly I won't give full points to obvious ones but lesser known songs from big artists I love hearing so hopefully a few of those come up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

i wanted to nominate king crimson "epitaph" but found out it was released 12 october 1969

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #45
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Unsure if I will be in for this one...

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote