"Here come the young guns" - ATP - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Here come the young guns" - ATP

Both aged 23. I know the ATP is in dire need of new blood achieving something like a slam final or a masters 1000 title but this is too much.

Not only they only reached the semis of a masters 1000 (not that worthy of an achievement) they are also far from youngsters.

Federer, a notably not early achiever, won his first slam at 21, first masters 1000 at 20. Safin, Djokovic, Roddick, Ferrero, Murray just to name a few names of recent players had all achieved way more at an earlier age than 23.

Is it the big 4 that is too dominant or do the newer generations not have that great a quality players? Is the physicality of the sport, with slower courts and more grinding, partially responsible for the latter blooming of the younger players?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Here come the young guns" - ATP

I don't see a problem here. We have a lot of good players between 27 and 33.
It's ok to call those two 23-years old "Youngsters" and both Raonic and Dimitrov are playing very well in the last months.
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012, Montpellier 2013 & Barcelona 2014
[TT]: -
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
country flag InfoKenway

InfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond repute

Youngsters doesn't mean,that they are young. It means, that they can improve.
That's why Gulbis is youngster.

Sometimes Support:Wawrinka,Ferrer,Kohlschreiber,L.Mayer,Verdasco, Melzer,Gabashvili,Herbert,Thiem,Cuevas,Andrey Kuznetsov
I hate Robredo and Raonic
InfoKenway is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

wow, how did you come out with this subject, it is unheard of here at MTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
wow, how did you come out with this subject, it is unheard of here at MTF?
No uncle Latso. It has been discussed before. Couldn't find a thread so opened one.

Mods feel free to merge.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

Late bloomers are now the norm with the ultra-physical game as opposed to the old game which emphasized talent. The male body is still developing into its 20s, whereas an 18 year old can hit the ball just as well as a 25 year old if he is talented.

Federer - Isner - Gulbis - Dimitrov - Thiem
Tennis disgraces: Nadal, Ferrer, Fognini

Fantasy Tennis Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
country flag TooBadFed

TooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Is it the big 4 that is too dominant or do the newer generations not have that great a quality players? Is the physicality of the sport, with slower courts and more grinding, partially responsible for the latter blooming of the younger players?
probably the second
TooBadFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with the top 4 being dominant, considering these players have been losing to other players for the last few years.

Has tennis changed significantly in terms of court surfaces since 2008, or am I missing something? Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Del Potro (and you could even throw the likes of Cilic in there too) were achieving considerably more than what these "youngsters" were at that age and even achieving more at that age than these players are now. Isn't that enough of an indication?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoKenway View Post
Gulbis a youngster? Now I've heard everything. "Youngster" doesn't mean that "they can improve". Old men also "can improve".

youngster (ˈjʌŋstə)
— n
1. a young person; child or youth
2. a young animal, esp a horse
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
country flag Rychu

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoKenway View Post

Haas - Hewitt - Del Potro - Federer - Janowicz - Gasquet

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I am in tears, floods of tears streaming down my face. Too beautiful, this is too much for me. One of the greatest matches between two beautiful players.
'14 Bogota Semifinal: Victor Estrella Burgos vs Bernard Tomic
Never Forget
Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

I've been waiting for a youngster to break out for a long time.
It seemed like DelPo was the one, he was but got derailed by injuries and then
having to bring his level up again.
Then Roanic and Dolgo both came on strong at the AO but then didn't improve much
and were inconsistent.

So many jumped up and then didn't do anything, it's been so long.

Maybe Theim is the one, maybe Jerzy can get his head straight.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

If the game is more physical doesn't it make sense for players to be peaking earlier as you body is in better condition to cope with the physical side?
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 24. Am I considered an old man now?

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
country flag bluefork

bluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond reputebluefork has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the problem with calling them "young guns." The average age of the top 100 has been increasing over the last decade, so it makes sense that the cut off for being a "young gun" would also increase

The bigger problem is that the ATP is declaring that these "young guns" are coming, when they'll probably both lose in the SF, and the Nadal/Djokovic dominance will continue for the rest of the year.

Also, they couldn't have found a slightly more flattering photo of Raonic?
bluefork is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
If the game is more physical doesn't it make sense for players to be peaking earlier as you body is in better condition to cope with the physical side?
Nope, because there is such a huge gap between junior and adult tennis now. A 15 year old could be the number one junior in the world, and beat all his peers, but be unable to do any damage versus a Top 800 player. So the motivation isn't really with this player to bulk up immediately because he is at the top of his game.
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote