In honor of Mahut, the record for most tourn. won without dropping a set - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #16
country flag JustmeUK

JustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In honor of RAFA and FEDERER, the record for most tournies won without dropping a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmalante
Agassi's record is amazing. I always thought that Andre was the best at making bad to middle players look bad whenever I watched him waltz through the draw at the AO or Miami. If anyone plays chess, he reminds me of Alexander Morozevich in his ability to completely flatten foes of a lesser class. But when he has to face someone of equal ability(a fellow hall of famer) he always comes up a little short. This detail has always frustrated me as an agassi fan whenever I watch him play Sampras, Federer, Rios, Lendl, etc.
not entirely fair. Moro-Anand 1995 Moro-Topalov 1995 Moro-Polgar 1995 . Moro is like Tal.. very speculative and of course against the best this can rebound in a huge way. But to say that he always comes up short is not true. even against the best he can flatten them and in double quick time.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a Rafa hater. I am, however, a RAFATARD hater and therefore take endless delight in each Rafa loss as it allows me to sock it hard to his tards. Do try and understand the difference (TARDS)! Don't get me started on Choke-ovic though. Him I do despise. And his TARDS are the lowest of the low .
JustmeUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #17
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In honor of RAFA and FEDERER, the record for most tournies won without dropping a set

Anybody have any others I can add to the list. I know there are a lot out there I just didn't have the time to look up.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
country flag Tourmalante

Tourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond reputeTourmalante has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In honor of RAFA and FEDERER, the record for most tournies won without dropping a

I love Moro's crazy, non-compromising style of play and he does have many Super GM scalps, especially in rapid games(I remember especially him beating Kramnik at Corus 2001), he is usually bullied at the classical chess tournaments by the rest of the top ten. Corus 2005 and the 2004 Russian Championship come to mind. And just like Agassi he will have periods of decline(like falling to 2679 in 2002 or so) followed by rapid ascents back to the top(his leap back to #4 in 2004).
Tourmalante is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #19
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In honor of RAFA and FEDERER, the record for most tournies won without dropping a set

Im surprised Federer and Sampras dont have more. I guess Federer tends to lose his sets earlier on in tournies when he knows stepping it up will win him the match. He doesn't mess about in finals and semis
stebs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #20
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute

i still believe ivan lendl is the most underrated player of all time for what he accomplished. I didnt even know he has 28 straight set titles

Another Game for Milos

ROGER

KoOlMaNsEaN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #21
country flag LuckyAC

LuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyAC has a reputation beyond repute

The incredible thing was seeing Moro start out 0.5/6 in Wijk aan Zee this year. He at least came back to the pack at the end, though still was last place I think. I don't see the comparison to Agassi. Moro is competitive with top players, but he never takes the superGM tournaments, while Agassi has won many slams. In terms of play-style, Agassi is much more cautious and steady than Moro's sometimes reckless aggresively offensive play. The facile comparison would be Agassi as tough defender with the ability to attack Karpov to Sampras's Kasparov, but Karpov was perhaps the greatest tournament player of all time (and more impressively, crushed me pretty badly when I played him) and Agassi isn't quite up to that, though he has done extremely well. Maybe a player like Leko would be a better comparison, though Leko's success has been too short. He'd rarely beat Kasparov (Sampras), but he is always competitive in tournament play.
LuckyAC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:20 AM   #22
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting.....but it's hard to know the weight of the tallies since some of these tournies could have been small ones, and some big ones.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #23
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

Alex Corretja- 1

Toulouse, France
International Series, 10/16/2000, I, Hard , Draw: 32
Pozzi, Gianluca (ITA) 6-1 6-2
Popp, Alexander (GER) 6-1 6-4
Tillstrom, Mikael (SWE) 7-5 6-3
Rios, Marcelo (CHI) 7-6(6) 6-3
Moya, Carlos (ESP) 6-3 6-2
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 AM   #24
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pea. PamV, I have listed all the tournaments they won in straights so you could can go to the ATP site and look up who else was playing in those tournies Most of these wins ARE small tournies.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #25
Fed Fo Mod

ALEX CORRETJA (4)

Stuttgart Outdoor, Germany
GP, 7/14/1997, O, Clay , Draw: 48
5 wins, 39 games lost

Toulouse, France
International Series, 10/16/2000, I, Hard , Draw: 32
5 wins, 30 games lost, 1 TB

Gstaad, Switzerland
International Series, 7/8/2002, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 40 games lost, 1 TB

Kitzbuhel, Austria
International Series Gold, 7/22/2002, O, Clay , Draw: 48
5 wins, 23 games lost

THOMAS ENQVIST (2)

New Delhi, India
GP, 4/8/1996, O, Hard , Draw: 32
5 wins, 36 games lost, 2 TB's played

Paris Indoor, France
Tennis Masters Series, 10/28/1996, I, Carpet , Draw: 48
5 wins, 44 games lost (best of 5 final), 1 TB played

MARC ROSSET (1)

St Petersburg, Russia
International Series, 2/8/1999, I, Carpet , Draw: 32
5 wins, 25 games lost

MARK PHILIPPOUSSIS (1)

Shanghai, China
International Series, 9/22/2003, O, Hard , Draw: 32
5 wins, 36 games lost, 2 TB's played

GASTON GAUDIO (1)

Barcelona, Spain
International Series Gold, 4/22/2002, O, Clay , Draw: 56
6 wins, 38 games lost

Last edited by NYCtennisfan : 07-15-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #26
Fed Fo Mod

JOAKIM NYSTROM (2)

La Quinta, CA, U.S.A.
GP, 2/24/1986, O, Hard , Draw: 56
5 wins, 31 games lost

Madrid, Spain
GP, 4/28/1986, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 29 games lost

SJENG SCHALKEN (2)

Auckland, New Zealand
International Series, 1/11/1999, O, Hard , Draw: 32
5 wins, 39 games lost, 1 TB played

's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
International Series, 6/16/2003, O, Grass , Draw: 32
5 wins, 27 games lost

GUILLERMO CANAS (2)

Casablanca, Morocco
International Series, 4/9/2001, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 19 games lost, 1 TB played

Umag, Croatia
International Series, 7/19/2004, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 28 games lost, 1 TB played

FERNANDO GONZALEZ (2)

Vina del Mar, Chile
International Series, 2/9/2004, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 35 games lost

Auckland, New Zealand
International Series, 1/10/2005, O, Hard , Draw: 32
5 wins, 33 games played, 1 TB played
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #27
Fed Fo Mod

HENRIK SUNDSTROM (1)

Bari, Italy
GP, 4/2/1984, O, Clay , Draw: 32
5 wins, 27 games lost

TOMAS SMID (1)

Bologna, Italy
11/17/1980, I, Carpet
4 wins, 23 game slost

JAKOB HLASEK (1)

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
GP, 2/6/1989, I, Carpet , Draw: 32
5 wins, 27 games lost, 1 Tb played

ANDERS JARRYD (1)

Vienna, Austria
GP, 10/15/1990, I, Carpet , Draw: 32
5 wins, 36 games lost

JONAS SVENNSON (1)

Metz, France
GP, 2/22/1988, I, Carpet , Draw: 32
5 wins, 27 games lost

Last edited by NYCtennisfan : 07-22-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:58 AM   #28
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer will never add to this list on clay as long as Coria and Nadal are around.

Nadal will probably reach 10+ on clay alone.

Possibly one or two on grass/HC/indoor.
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:14 AM   #29
Fed Fo Mod

Quote:
Federer will never add to this list on clay as long as Coria and Nadal are around.
He won Hamburg on clay this year beating Coria in one of the matches and not dropping a set so I wouldn't be too hasty with that prediction. I also think he will win at least 4 more tournaments without dropping a set before he is done.

I agree about Nadal and his dominatiion on clay, especially if he plays some of the smaller tournaments on clay next year.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:22 AM   #30
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Dent hate routers.

Let the boy play.
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote