KKK Wants to Protest at Augusta Nat'l - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2003, 07:51 AM   #1
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute
Default KKK Wants to Protest at Augusta Nat'l

KKK wants to protest at Augusta Nat'l

Posted: Friday February 28, 2003 2:30 AM

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) -- The controversy over Augusta National Golf Club's all-male membership has attracted the attention of the Ku Klux Klan.

A Klan group has asked for an application for a permit to demonstrate in support of the club that hosts the Masters each April.

The club has been under pressure from Martha Burk, chairwoman of the National Council of Women's Organizations, to admit a female. Burk has said she will seek a permit to demonstrate at the Masters against Augusta National's membership practices.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition has requested an application for a permit to demonstrate in support of Burk at the Masters in April.

Col. Gary Powell of the Augusta-Richmond County Sheriff's Department said Wednesday he had received permit requests from Jackson's group and from an unidentified man from Maine who supports Augusta National.

A women's group called "WAMB," or Women Against Martha Burk, wants to demonstrate in support of the club in downtown Augusta on April 6, the Sunday before the Masters.

On Thursday, J.J. Harper of Cordele, reportedly the imperial wizard of the American White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, asked for a permit.

"We intend on making speeches and picketing for the right of the Augusta National Club to include only members of their choice regardless of race, religion, sex or creed," Harper said.

Augusta National spokesman Glenn Greenspan distanced the club from the KKK request.

"As a result of the controversy created by political activists, a number of organizations, some of them extreme, have sought to voice their political views," Greenspan said. "Anyone who knows anything about Augusta National Golf Club or its members knows this is not something the club would welcome or encourage."

Burk said Augusta National "should not be shocked by the KKK's endorsement."

"They have behaved in a manner that attracts this type of support," Burk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "They are going to have a real circus if this goes on.

"If I was Augusta National, I would spare my golfers, my members, my patrons, the city and citizens of Augusta, and the tournament all the trouble by simply opening membership immediately to women or announcing a plan to do so in a reasonable amount of time."
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 07:52 AM   #2

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

All I could think when I read this was : AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I do wonder though - do you suppose that the folks at Augusta were thinking "Oh God, this is NOT good for PR", or deep down were they thinking "Oh Good! There are more people out there just like us...."?

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
anton

anton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond reputeanton has a reputation beyond repute

KKK seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. They can't play golf in all those sheets.

andytennis.com
anton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article. I thought kkk was just about hating black people. I didn't know they were also interested in the rights of males and females

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a private club?

If so, sorry girls, but I don't see why they think they have the right to protest.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:43 AM   #6

Ilhame, perhaps I have it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the KKK is all about protecting the white male. Because they just require so much protection, from all that discrimination that is placed on them

So seeing as they are all about protecting the white male, it sounds like Augusta is right up their alley....

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Is it a private club?

If so, sorry girls, but I don't see why they think they have the right to protest.
Well, my interest in this article was not the actual issue, it was the hilarious PR that Augusta is going to draw with a connection like this one...

Regardless of wether or not you think they are right, do you not think that having your name linked with the KKK, is down right embarassing?

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #8

I have to wonder if one of the girls didn't send the old boys at the KKK an anonymous letter suggesting that they take up this cause... what an ingenius plan

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:51 AM   #9
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of wether or not you think they are right, do you not think that having your name linked with the KKK, is down right embarassing? [/b][/quote]

It is. Being linked to kkk is very bad for the image of such an old club.

Old 02-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #10

Especially a club that didn't even accept black people for a major part of their history...

Yup, it sounds like Augusta+KK=true love

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #11
country flag maratski

lol

Old 02-28-2003, 06:24 PM   #12
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Becca.

If I were the owner of the club, the second the KKK got involved I would open it up to women and blacks, minus a membership fee

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:26 PM   #13
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca
Especially a club that didn't even accept black people for a major part of their history...

Yup, it sounds like Augusta+KK=true love
I rather doubt that!
Old 02-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #14

Which part to you rather doubt? If you are going to roll your eyes lamely, I would hope that you have some sort of opinion.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #15
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeBarrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the KKK may love it as it brings them some publicity, but I assure you that the kind folks at Augusta National are horrified at the thought of having the KKK percieved at being connected with them, however remote the connection and however absurd the KKK!