Mens Tennis Forums banner

hello, new to tennis, got a question to ask

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  El Legenda 
#1 ·
what is the best gauge of string to use?
I am considering 17.

#2 ·
You're new to tennis and the first thing you ask is about the string? Oh honey....you first need to decide what you're going to wear onto the court. Looking good is far more important than playing good, just ask Kournikova, one of the wealthiest sports figures in the world. Let me tell you, she didn't get there dressing like Conchita Martinez. So if you're confident you're looking good, I would suggest focusing on the racket, then the string. What kind of racket do you have? Does it match your tennis outfits?

#3 ·
:lol:

You're not going to find the answer here. First you need to make sure you have the racquet you want, then just start with a generic string recommended by your stringer. Once you actually develop a game, then you can worry about your string. It won't matter for about the first year or so anyway.

Reactions: NYCtennisfan
#4 ·
seleshfan said:
You're new to tennis and the first thing you ask is about the string? Oh honey....you first need to decide what you're going to wear onto the court. Looking good is far more important than playing good, just ask Kournikova, one of the wealthiest sports figures in the world. Let me tell you, she didn't get there dressing like Conchita Martinez. So if you're confident you're looking good, I would suggest focusing on the racket, then the string. What kind of racket do you have? Does it match your tennis outfits?
well, I hv already the best racquet that $ can buy [several of them] and the best apparel that is available in the market :) so naturally the next thing to worry is the best string that i can get. But i won't be using natural gut, not because i cannot afford it, but i don't wish to enjoy the game at the expense of killing of animals. The question is what is the most useful gauge to choose.
Pity, thought i could get good advice and support here, from the 'experts'.

#6 ·
seleshfan said:
:lol: :hatoff:

#7 ·
tennisMako said:
well, I hv already the best racquet that $ can buy [several of them] and the best apparel that is available in the market :) so naturally the next thing to worry is the best string that i can get. But i won't be using natural gut, not because i cannot afford it, but i don't wish to enjoy the game at the expense of killing of animals. The question is what is the most useful gauge to choose.
You're so modest.

'Experts' :lol:

#8 ·
in my opinion the best racquet is not the most expensive, but what suits your game best. If it happens to be the most expensive than ok, but it's whats suits you, not what you can afford.

#9 ·
BelgianWaffle said:
You're so modest.

'Experts' :lol:
LMAO I know!! We're just having a laugh, because this kid's such an idiot :D! They don't kill animals just for natural gut tennis string lmao... But you wouldn't NEED it anyway!

#10 ·
ae wowww said:
LMAO I know!! We're just having a laugh, because this kid's such an idiot :D! They don't kill animals just for natural gut tennis string lmao... But you wouldn't NEED it anyway!
it is damn F...... naive to presume that anyone that is new to the game must necessarily be of very young age and cannot afford the best equipments [ which is usually at the upper end of the price range]. These pathetic guys must have gone thru this sad path themselves.

btw, they need 3 animals just to produce one string. It is made from by-products of the meat industry, so i presume you would need to eat 3 animals to get you racket strung :D

#11 ·
Mako, go to the boards at www.tennis-warehouse.com and check out the equipment forums there. If you post there, make sure to let everyone know right away how much money you have. They will be quite impressed.

(By the way, just because you have 'the best equipment money can buy' doesn't mean you have the best equipment for you, personally, or for your type of game. They must have seen you coming and started counting their commissions before you even got to the cashier.)

Reactions: allanah
#13 ·
tennisMako said:

You have all this money, and your here trying to get our expert advice for free? If you want the best money can buy, then go buy it. I just think it's odd you have the best of everything with regards to tennis, but didn't shell out the cash for the best available coach money can buy (Brad Gilbert). He'll assess your game, then decide what string is right for you to give the "beat downs". If it's determined that you need natural gut, I'll make a deal with you. You pay me some of your money to be a Vegetarian, so that we can balance out the dead animals you use on your racquet. I will have to charge big bucks to give up Big Macs though. :)

#14 ·
I dunno that much about stringing and hefty bank balances and abitrary animal slaughter but I'm totally charmed by the idea of being perceived an 'expert'.

That's nice:angel:

Reactions: Fee
#15 ·
:lol:

classic allanah, classic!

#16 ·
I dunno that much about stringing and hefty bank balances and abitrary animal slaughter but I'm totally charmed by the idea of being perceived an 'expert'.

That's nice originally posted by ALLanah
:haha:

#18 ·
Thank you. I really did try to help this person, but his response really kind of threw me. Who spends that kind of money on tennis when they are just starting out? And what exactly are the best clothes that money can buy? Isn't that just a bit subjective? I mean, we all know that New Balance make the best shoes, but other than that....

#19 ·
Fee said:
Thank you. I really did try to help this person, but his response really kind of threw me. Who spends that kind of money on tennis when they are just starting out? And what exactly are the best clothes that money can buy? Isn't that just a bit subjective? I mean, we all know that New Balance make the best shoes, but other than that....

cool it, guys. Just wanna teach you a lesson that DON'T be so naive and rigid that about all these "Who spends that kind of money on tennis when they are just starting out? " NONSENSE.
If one has got the $$$, why started with the pathetic cheap racket etc??? All these are tools that can be bought!!! Only one thing $$$ can't buy ie skill and $$$ does not gaurantee the best coach [ that fellow that said that $$$ can get best coach is again F naive].

so long guys, pointless to stay here with the "ex-perts"

#20 ·
Nobody here ever claimed to be an expert, that was your comment. See ya on the courts (you'll be the fool in the brand new Nike clothes with the overpriced Pure Drive getting his ASS KICKED by 13 year old girls).

And you missed the point again, but who cares. :wavey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.