Russia to win the Davis Cup 2002 thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 PM   #46
Nina

Nina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond repute

maybe CNNSI copied Izvestia

btw Yeltsin was so funny to watch after Misha won, his wife tried to stop him but he pushed her aside and just climbed down from his seat, he is now healthier than ever
Nina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 05:04 PM   #47
Nina

Nina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond repute

Misha's interview here:

http://www.daviscup.org/scripts/dcpa...=4219&org=115&

and on the same page you can find interviews of other players. Great to hear Davis Cup now means so much for Marat, before the final I watched a program about our team and they had an interview with Marat when he was about 14, they asked him if he wanted to play DC for Russia and he made a funny face expression and said "No, no I don't. I don't have time. No" He got wiser as the years went by
Old 12-02-2002, 07:00 PM   #48
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I am back

The skiing was just great ( not as good as Davis Cup, I suppose but.. ), they had more snow in November than they are supposed to have by Christmas time, quite incredible. Especially given that I was able to check the scoreline of DC while riding the skilift . I even realised that I am doing more of downhill and less of carving than I usually do, just to get to the skilift quicker and check the scores again.. But the last day, when I was checking the scores while already driving home was just agonizing.. I was checking the scores from my mail, and my friends driving the cars behind me were calling me to learn the scores too, from me..

Just out of desperation, last question.. Was anyone genious enough to tape the last day?
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:40 PM   #49
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught a glimpse of a special TV programme dedicated to the Davis Cup victory (they made changes to TV programme).

A few interesting details

B. Yeltsin used to team up with Tarpischev to play doubles . They showed them shaking hands with another *senior* players at the net

Dinara looks much better in casual clothes than in tennis clothes. She's so cute and such a lovely girl

They also showed Dinara's and Marat's parents. His mother said she's very happy to be in Paris and to be able to support Marat and hug him

His father said there is so much fuss around Marat and Dinara and everybody just cares about their results, but he sees all the hard daily work and blood on Dinara's feet after training and how she is tired

The tribute was payed to Zhenia. Although he was not the hero of this final, he led Russia to this sensational win for almost a decade. They showed his matchpoint in Sydney

Misha is really shy. The reporters were waiting for him in the airport but he just answered 1 question and ran away:
Q: Have you dedicated your victory to somebody?
Misha: To my Dad

They finished it with official award ceremony and then played "We Are The Champions" showing Misha play and throw the ball into the crowd.

I dropped a tear a few tears, actually
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:23 PM   #50
country flag madten

madten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, me too zosse....... that was so touching....... I saw it too on TV. Misha is very shy and I think he doesn't actually understand yet what he had done! I'm sure his dad would be very proud of him.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:04 AM   #51
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

ys, i don't know if you've seen this picture yet, but here it is for you in case you missed it. Thought you might like it.

v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:11 AM   #52
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by zosse
Misha is really shy. The reporters were waiting for him in the airport but he just answered 1 question and ran away:
Q: Have you dedicated your victory to somebody?
Misha: To my Dad
Aww! Bless him zosse, sounds like that was a great program, I'm sorry I wasn't able to see it (maybe it will make it onto a commercial tennis taping somewhere . . .). I would have cried myself, I'm sure, over Zhenya, over the hard work and determination of all of the guys, over Misha's sweet shyness.

One of the few times I wish I was in Russia :sigh:

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:19 AM   #53
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, I've found a video of Russia's DC win on a french website. I got goosebumps just from watching it. Some really amazing scenes there. Funny quote from Marat: "We're going to celebrate. I'm going to get drunk tonight, I promise! Here is the link.

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FIN...oupeDavis.html

Enjoy!
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:49 AM   #54
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jessi

What else can you expect from Marat after such victory
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #55
country flag vaiva

daviscup.com:

Despite narrowly losing the 2002 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final last weekend, France maintains its No. 1 position in the ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking to finish first at the year-end.

After winning the Davis Cup, Russia finishes second, one place higher than in September. Top of the rankings at the end of 2001, Australia lies in third place.

Old 12-03-2002, 01:34 PM   #56
Nina

Misha is the Russian hero now He was on Tv yesterday (on RTR right after the evening news) with Tarpishev,Fetisov and the small cup, Misha was wrapped in a Russian flag btw they didn't ask him much, just to say something about himself- he said: I train in Moscow, I'm 20, I don't like discos and don't party they also asked him wheather he had a gf and Misha said he did. The journalist was also wondering wheather Misha could beat Sampras now

Tarpishev was asked if Zhenya will retire, and shamil answered that he didn't think so, he thinks that Zhenya will take a 2 months rest and return, he just says he will retire because he's mentally tired He also said Marat will come to Moscow on Wednesday.

Fetisov was asked if Misha will be given any award (îđäĺí?) and he said they will discuss it
Old 12-03-2002, 02:01 PM   #57
country flag vaiva

If you have the Hero of Russia award, then why not
Old 12-04-2002, 02:20 PM   #58
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Russia

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:29 PM   #59
country flag madten

madten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!!! Just a couple of hours ago the plane landed in moscow bringing Davis Cup!!!! They put it in a safe bank and tomorrow our players will "present it" to everybody!!!! Cool!!! I can't wait to see this!!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #60
country flag madten

btw, thank you Jessi for great pics. Nice!