He won't play Davis Cup ! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
country flag crystal

crystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond repute
Default He won't play Davis Cup !

He said he was too tired to play the quarter final against Russia.
"I've been injured and I made a lot of efforts physically and mentally to come back. Now I'm tired and I feel it won't be good for me and for the team"
Seb made this decision on wednesday, just after his defeat against Andy. Forget was very disappointed.

I think that seb is right not to play if he feels too tired. Don't take the risk to get injured again, seb !!! And I mean, it must not be a good feeling when you lose your 2 matches in DC !!! Maybe he doesn't want to repeat his performance against Swede.

Have a good rest seb, hope to see you soon on the courts !!!
crystal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: He won't play Davis Cup !

Well, I'm really really disapointed. I can try to understand his reasons but Forget said he thinks Seb took his decision before Wimby, he thinks it's another reasons, "un certain malaise depuis quelques mois..."
I don't have time to explain, but it sounds strange.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
country flag crystal

crystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond reputecrystal has a reputation beyond repute

Oh marine did you read Lequipe of today ? I couldn't buy it !!! What do Seb and Forget say about it in the mag ?
I'm also disappointed that seb doesn't play but we have to accept his choice
Old 07-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

omg thats terrible news... i guess none of us are in the position to judge his decision but all i can say is Arnaud probably would never have done that in the same situation
Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
country flag Lizan

Lizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal
He said he was too tired to play the quarter final against Russia.
"I've been injured and I made a lot of efforts physically and mentally to come back. Now I'm tired and I feel it won't be good for me and for the team"
Seb made this decision on wednesday, just after his defeat against Andy. Forget was very disappointed.

I think that seb is right not to play if he feels too tired. Don't take the risk to get injured again, seb !!! And I mean, it must not be a good feeling when you lose your 2 matches in DC !!! Maybe he doesn't want to repeat his performance against Swede.

Have a good rest seb, hope to see you soon on the courts !!!
Yeah its sad that he doesnt play, but I do agree with Crystal.. I dont want him to get injured again, I think a rest is good for him once in a while..

Me Appy

Lizan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
country flag wilma

wilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond reputewilma has a reputation beyond repute

He does take more time between tournaments now, doesn't he? That's good - he's been injured too many times. But it's a shame for the French team, obviously.
wilma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther
omg thats terrible news... i guess none of us are in the position to judge his decision but all i can say is Arnaud probably would never have done that in the same situation
Thats for sure! Arnaud would definitely put his health at risk for the Davis Cup. Actually there's nothing he wouldn't do for the Davis Cup. But is it wise of him?...
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 AM   #8
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

DC is Arnauds pride and joy . . . Seb has been criticed for not been as dedicated as arnaud and i think this definitely reflects that view. Anyway...hope this decision ends up been the best for Seb and the team
Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
country flag Via

Via has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond repute

if seb doesn't feel up to the task then he shouldn't do it and be silly. arnaud is just silly sometimes, you know! he plays dc and wins at all cost, and then the rest of his tennis season suffers.

time for guys like richard to step up and step in anyway... isn't richard now the french no.1?
Via is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
country flag crystal

I think seb dedicated many things for the DC the last 3 years.... don't you remember that most of the time, he gets injured when he plays a match for DC ?? However, he kept playing for the team although he knew that he may get injured becoz of the surplus of matches. Maybe he's tired of getting injured so often and if he doesn't feel good, he may be right not to play.
Of course I'm disappointed coz I love DC and I love watching seb playing DC, but if it means him losing badly becoz he didn't feel like playing... I would rather him rest a bit and come back eventually for the final.... lol
Besides Via is right let's how Richard answers to this new challenge ...
Old 07-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

The full article of L'equipe, yesterday...if Esther can male a little summary ...

SÉBASTIEN GROSJEAN ne sera pas du voyage à Moscou dans dix jours pour le quart de finale de la Coupe Davis qui opposera la France à la Russie. Au soir de sa défaite contre Andy Roddick en quart de finale du tournoi de Wimbledon, il a décidé d’annoncer dès le lendemain matin son forfait à Guy Forget. La cause de cette décision, qui a laissé le capitaine interloqué, n’est, assure-t-il, ni une blessure, ni un malaise au sein de l’équipe, simplement la fatigue.

« Nous en avons discuté avec Brad (son coach), explique-t-il. J’ai fait beaucoup d’effort pour revenir. J’ai vécu une année difficile. J’ai été blessé, je suis revenu trop tôt… et là, depuis Houston (en avril), j’ai joué tous les jours. Physiquement et mentalement, je suis fatigué. Ce dernier mois et demi, avec Roland-Garros et tous les points que j’avais à défendre sur gazon, j’ai fait beaucoup d’efforts. Mentalement j’ai besoin de faire un break, d’être avec mes enfants et ma femme. Ce n’est pas facile à annoncer parce que j’adore Guy, j’adore mes potes, mais si on me dit que dans quelques jours je dois repartir me préparer sur terre ça va être dur physiquement et mentalement. »

Le Marseillais dit avoir été aussi échaudé par sa mésaventure de Strasbourg, en mars dernier contre la Suède. Blessé lors de l’Open d’Australie, il n’avait ensuite joué et perdu qu’un seul match sur le circuit avant de se déclarer bon pour le service contre les Suédois. Loin de sa meilleure forme, il avait coûté deux points à une équipe de France

sauvée par les deux simples gagnés par Paul-Henri Mathieu et par le double Clément-Llodra.

« Je n’étais prêt ni physiquement, ni tennistiquement, admet-il. Je sentais que je manquais de repères, mais la Coupe Davis m’a tellement apporté comme expériences et comme moments à partager en groupe. J’avais tellement envie de jouer par rapport à eux… et je n’ai pas été à la hauteur. Là je viens de bien jouer, mais mentalement je n’y suis pas et je me dis que si j’ai ce doute, ça ne va être bon ni pour moi ni, surtout, pour l’équipe. Si je ne fais pas ce break, je sens que je ne serai pas à la hauteur et je n’ai pas envie de mettre l’équipe dans une situation mauvaise. »

Un certain malaise

Il n’est pas certain que l’argument ait convaincu son capitaine, mais ce dernier a choisi le mode conciliant : « J’ai été surpris et déçu, mais j’essaye de ne pas prendre cette décision trop à cœur. Je ne veux pas donner trop d’importance à ça. Mais je pense que c’est dommage. Je n’ai pas à supplier les gars pour qu’ils jouent et je ne dois pas le faire. Il ne peut pas prendre sa performance de Strasbourg comme le signe d’une malédiction en Coupe Davis. Aujourd’hui, il était revenu au niveau qui était le sien l’an dernier. Je lui ai dit que je pensais qu’il était prêt. Mais je sentais chez Sébastien un petit malaise depuis quelques mois. Je ne crois pas qu’il ait pris sa décision ici. Je pense que ça remonte à plus longtemps. »

Guy Forget n’en dira pas plus mais, dans la pratique, ce forfait va simplifier la tâche du capitaine-sélectionneur qui n’a que très rarement pu compter sur son numéro 1 ces deux dernières années. Grosjean avait ainsi manqué tous les matches de la saison 2004 (blessures et virus) et s’était blessé en 2003 lors de la rencontre de triste mémoire du deuxième tour contre la Suisse qui avait vu Santoro le remplacer à contrecœur pour un simple décisif contre Federer.

Compte tenu des résultats de Mathieu, Clément et Llodra à Strasbourg, et de ceux de Richard Gasquet sur le circuit depuis deux mois, la présence de ces quatre joueurs à Moscou (départ dimanche 10 juillet après un stage commençant le jeudi précédent à Roland-Garros) serait tout sauf une surprise. Et en cas de victoire, le retour de Grosjean dans l’équipe pour les demi-finales serait soumis au jugement de son capitaine et de ses partenaires. « J’accepterai leur décision, quelle qu’elle soit », assure-t-il. Il n’est pas certain qu’ils acceptent aussi bien la sienne aujourd’hui. – Ph. B.

I think Seb's circle encouraged him to take this decision : his wife and his coach. He's american, he can't understand the dc spirit as well as Thierry Tuslane, he probably prefers too see Seb to take a rest to be ready for the end of the season, for him dc is not important.
Moreover, Seb didn't play good in DC these last months, I suppose he's not at ease with that. He's not the player who makes win his team, maybe it affected him.
He thinks he has to be more selfish, like the other good players if he wants to make great grand slams. I can understand, but I'm disapointed though.

Arnaud is an exception, he could play DC with back hand, he's crazy. But he doesn't have the same ambitions than Seb, for him, DC is his "lifeline" and he always plays great, that's different.
I just hope Guy doesn't compare Arnaud and Seb.

But I regrey Seb plaus one time, not the other time etc...he's clear. Even if I'm sure he loves this competition.
Now I hope it won't affect relationships between Guy and Seb.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #12
country flag crystal

Thanks so much Marine for posting the interview from Lequipe !!!
Very nice of you !
hope we'll see seb in DC semis !!!
Old 07-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
country flag Lizan

Lizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond reputeLizan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
I think Seb's circle encouraged him to take this decision : his wife and his coach. He's american, he can't understand the dc spirit as well as Thierry Tuslane
I think I'm like his coach.. I dont care THAT much for DC.. I'd rather want Seb to have results like he has now (wimbledon) and not play DC, then that he gets tired and loses in the first round of US open (like he did last year).. Thats much more dissapointing to me..

Quote:
Moreover, Seb didn't play good in DC these last months, I suppose he's not at ease with that. He's not the player who makes win his team, maybe it affected him.
I too can imagine that, but I'm not sure thats a reason, because sebs a professional (I think he can handle that kind of pressure), and Seb said it didnt in that DC interview..

Quote:
He thinks he has to be more selfish, like the other good players if he wants to make great grand slams.
Yes thats his goodright.. I totally agree with this.. He HAS too..

Quote:
Arnaud is an exception, he could play DC with back hand, he's crazy. But he doesn't have the same ambitions than Seb, for him, DC is his "lifeline" and he always plays great, that's different.
But Arnaud doesnt have results like Seb in the most important tournaments, the grand slams.. Not even close, with the exeption of AO 2001

Quote:
Now I hope it won't affect relationships between Guy and Seb.
Why?

Marine, whats for you more important, DC or Grand Slams? Just wondering..

Me Appy

Lizan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #14
country flag chels231

chels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a shame- I was looking forward to seeing the tie on TV. But richard and paulo are very capable on clay so i don't think it will hinder France's chances too much. But now I wonder if they win if Guy will want Seb to play the next round as he has let the team down quite a lot. Hopefully the rest will help Seb and he can win some tournaments!
chels231 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
country flag crystal

I think Guy and Seb are not "little kids" and that If Guy needs seb for DC he'll call him. Obviously they have to win the tie before then