Grosjean - Tursunov Questionable Line Calls?? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
mad1town

mad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grosjean - Tursunov Questionable Line Calls??

I didn't realize there were so many questionable line calls but who would know watching via the internet. Wimbledon radio did say that during the 1st that there were 2 missed line calls that cost Tursunov the set. Looks like that happened again in the 5th set.

Did anyone actually get to see the match?? Is this accurate information??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tursunov's out in round of 16 but not down
By Clint Swett -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Dmitry Tursunov's Wimbledon run came to a disappointing end in the round of 16 Monday, undone by a couple of questionable line calls and a late surge by his French opponent.
The Russian-born 22-year-old, who now lives in Roseville, fell to ninth-seeded Sebastien Grosjean 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 on Court 2. While it was the furthest Tursunov had ever advanced in a Grand Slam tournament, he said it was disappointing to lose a match that was within his grasp.

"I felt I could have had that one," said Tursunov, who converted on only five of 15 break-point opportunities but smacked 52 winners, the same as Grosjean. "I had a lot of chances to win the match."

In a telephone interview from London, Tursunov said he lost his focus early in the fifth set when he argued two line calls he said came at crucial times.

"If it's only one call, I don't have any problems, but there were a lot of calls that were wrong throughout the match," he said.

Tursunov also credited the speedy Grosjean, a Wimbledon semifinalist in 2003 and 2004, for elevating his play - and particularly his serve - in the fifth set.

"He can serve 130 mph, and he places it really well," Tursunov said.

Despite his disappointment, Tursunov said he was encouraged by his Wimbledon results, which earned him $67,614.

He started with a straight-set victory over Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, then stunned hometown hero and No. 6 seed Tim Henman in five sets on Centre Court.

Tursunov reached the round of 16 by downing Germany's Alexander Popp, a quarterfinalist in 2000 and 2003.

Despite those results, Tursunov said nerves sometimes kept him from playing his best.

"Against Tim, I played pretty well," he said. "But in my first, third and fourth matches, I had a lot of nerves. ... If I had played a little looser and had been able to go for my shots, I'd have had a good chance of winning (against Grosjean)."

Still, Tursunov said, his Wimbledon run can do nothing but bolster his confidence heading in the summer hardcourt season in the United States.

"The main thing is I know I can play with these guys," he said.
mad1town is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
country flag chels231

chels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grosjean - Tursunov Questionable Line Calls??

I watched on TV. Tursunov was wrong on those line calls- they were good.
chels231 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
mad1town

mad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond repute

Is that right...they showed "shot spot" or whatever it is called?

Also, it looks like you are a Seb fan but tell me, how did Tursunov look?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
country flag chels231

chels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond reputechels231 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I am a Seb fan! They slowed down the footage to show that the ball clipped the line the 2 times he argued that it was out. He looked good throughout the match but those mental lapses really cost him.
chels231 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
country flag espanol04

espanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond reputeespanol04 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the match via TV. They relayed the match of Davenport vs Clijsters. I'm so sorry to hear from this thread that Tursunov lost because of a couple of questionable line calls. I've bet on Tursunov's win over Grosjean, and the odds is 3/1. I should have won if the refree would see the video again and act justly.
espanol04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
mad1town

Here is a Tursunov pic disputing a call...photo caption is as follows:

"Dmitry Tursunov of Russia disputes a line call, on his way to being defeated by France's Sebastien Grosjean in their Men's Singles, fourth round match at Wimbledon, Monday June 27, 2005. "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tursunov grosjean.jpg (16.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
country flag Alison

Alison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond reputeAlison has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the match on tv , and Tursunov was wrong on each line call that he disputed .
Alison is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote