Andy, Articles and news - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #61
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy, Articles and news

Great articles, thanks!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #62
country flag keep_er_lit!

keep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judio
How embarrassing for the ATP Official Show

Just had a feature on Andy Murray after he won San Jose

They were talking about his hair cut and said when he first played on the ATP he had blond hair

They then showed him playing Hewitt at Queens in 04

Trouble for their researchers was it was Jonathan MARRAY
:retard: :retard:
keep_er_lit! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #63
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

New article on Andy from Smash Tennis magazine:

The Fighter
http://www.smashtennismag.com/f6.html

Quote:
WILL ANDY MURRAY, THE 18-YEAR-OLD SCOT WITH A TEMPER AND ’TUDE, BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF PLAYING FOR CHAMPION-STARVED GREAT BRITAIN? NO WORRIES: THIS KID IS READY FOR A FIGHT.

Ask Andy Murray about the reaction to his success in England and this is what you'll get: “In the story you have to say ‘Scotland.’ I don’t particularly like England or the English,” he jokes.v
If Andy Murray were an American or maybe a Spaniard, he would be allowed to be what he is: the best 18-year-old tennis player in the world, a young gun with a nice game, a good head, and a solid chance to be a top pro. But in Great Britain, home of the world’s most important tennis tournament, he’s much more than that. He’s the Great White Hope, a slightly scruffy heir apparent to the throne once occupied by Fred Perry. (Don’t feel bad if you don’t know who he is. He played in the 1930s.)

Murray, who could pass for Hayden Christensen’s skinny little brother, started last year ranked No. 514 and finished it at No. 65. In March, at 17, he became the youngest-ever member of a winning British Davis Cup team. During the season, he scored wins over Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri, and Paradorn Srichaphan. He played Roger Federer close—6-3, 7-5—in the Bangkok final, in October.

The reason why these promising early results loom so large is that British tennis has long been the story of style over substance. Virginia Wade, who played in the 1970s, once said in so many words that she’d rather play beautiful tennis than win. On the men’s side, John Lloyd was best known for his brief marriage to Chris Evert. Tim Henman’s game, for all its grace and elegance, lacks the explosiveness that it takes to win a Grand Slam title (so far), while Canadian-born Greg Rusedski has nothing but explosiveness.

Here’s the reality check: Fred Perry, who won three Wimbledons and achieved a career Grand Slam between 1933 and 1936, was the last British man to win a major. So pardon Great Britain’s tennis fans if they’re starved for consummation.

Knowing that Rusedski and Henman have their best tennis behind them, Great Britain, and especially its press, have heaped a huge burden of expectation upon Murray. His Wimbledon debut last year was solid, but hardly McEnroe ’77. Yet that didn’t stop the needy British tennis world from overreacting. After Murray won two rounds and was the last Brit standing, Henman Hill was renamed Murray Field. When Murray beat Henman in Basel, Switzerland, last fall, it was a huge changing-of-the-guard story.

“British tennis has had only Tim and Greg for the last 10 years, so I’ve prepared myself for it,” Murray says wearily. “I just have to try and get used to it because [the press] is going to be around for the next 10, 12 years of my life.”

The spotlight will be especially bright when he plays Wimbledon. Good thing Murray prefers the U.S. Open. “Wimbledon’s not my favorite tournament,” he blasphemes. “I don’t particularly like some of the rules there, and the atmosphere’s not as good as what it is at the U.S. Open. There’s much more noise there. Night matches. Playing under the lights. Rock music on the changeovers.”

Murray’s on-court behavior is more suited to Zoo York, too. “I throw my racquet sometimes and lose my temper a little bit,” he says. “But I think that shows that you care about what you’re doing.”

Murray’s love of the Open shows that while he is part of the British tennis world, he’s not really in it. Indeed, if English tennis has been a passion play, waiting for the next Wimbledon champion, then Scottish tennis before Murray has been nothing more than a punch line. The perception of Scottish tennis is best summed up in a Monty Python sketch in which John Cleese jokes, “Scots folk dinna know how to play the tennis to save their lives.” Then a kilt-wearing Scot named Angus Podgorny wins Wimbledon only after two spectators devour his opponent, a blancmange. Yes, if not for a couple of ravenous fans, the pride of Scottish tennis would have been defeated by a giant jellylike dessert.

Of course, Murray’s heritage will remain a double-edged sword. “He’ll only be Scottish on the BBC when he loses,” suggested one Scottish weekly.

When Murray began to show promise as a player in his teens, he left Scotland for better weather, tougher competition, and softer courts in Barcelona, Spain, where he still lives. (He says red clay is his best surface.) “I was practicing with guys who were ranked around 200 in the world when I was 15,” he says. “I was losing to them at the start but after about a year I was getting closer and closer and then I started to win against them. It’s good for your confidence.”

Murray showed his backbone when he played Federer in Bangkok. While he came away impressed by the world’s best player, Murray was hardly awed. “It took me five or six games before I settled down and figured out a good game plan to compete with him,” he says. “If you go for winners too early, he can get you running with his forehand. His forehand is the best shot I’ve played against. But the rest of his game I didn’t feel was so far away from mine.”

“Murray has a big repertoire of shots, a lot of qualities,” Federer said after the match. “He’s got to figure out how he wants to use his potential. If he works hard he’ll be a good player. I was impressed by him.”

Murray is a huge boxing fan—last fall he sparred with Olympic silver medalist and countryman Amir Khan—and you can see the fighting spirit in his game. While he’s got a powerful serve and a strapping forehand, it’s his grit that sets him apart. He plays with a grind-it-out mentality beyond his years. Unlike so many young players who fall in love with their strokes, happy to trade two sloppy errors for one flashy winner, Murray cleverly constructs points with topspin and slice and well-timed changes of pace.

The defining moment of his fledgling career took place at last year’s U.S. Open in a long first-round five-setter against Andrei Pavel. At the beginning of the deciding set, Murray took a big swig of Lucozade, an electrolyte drink, and he, well, spewed. It will go down as one of the great gastrointestinal moments in Flushing Meadows history, right beside Pete Sampras losing his lunch against Alex Corretja and James Blake’s technicolor yawn against Lleyton Hewitt.

“I drank too much,” says Murray, who fought through the incident to win the match. “I went to burp and I was just sick. I felt a little embarrassed and I felt a bit bad for the guy I was playing because a bit of the sick went on his bag. We had to wait for about 20 minutes for it to get cleaned up.”

In his next match Murray clawed his way back from two-sets-to-love down before losing against Arnaud Clement, one of the peskiest counter-punchers on tour. But when he came into the pressroom, the inquisition began. British scribes wondered why he wasn’t fitter. Murray answered the questions patiently, but you couldn’t blame him if he secretly seethed. He was 18, had played eight weeks in a row without losing in a first round, was only a few months past his last junior tournament—and he had to win three qualifying matches just to get into the Open’s main draw. Even the fittest pros wilt at the end of back-to-back five setters, yet the British press was holding Murray to a standard that Andre Agassi would be hard pressed to live up to.

But Murray seems to have a sense of the challenges ahead of him, some on the court, and many off it. “Sometimes,” he says, “I like when I get criticized because I want to prove people wrong.” He’s done a pretty good job of it so far.

30-SECOND BIO: ANDY MURRAY
Plays right-handed (two-handed backhand)
• Sponsored by Fred Perry
• Favorite film: The Girl Next Door
• Favorite CD: Encore, Eminem
• Favorite food: Subway
• Prematch ritual: Listening to his iPod
• Also plays soccer, and was once offered a chance to play with the Glasgow Rangers soccer team

“I throw my racquet sometimes and lose my temper a little bit,” Murray says. “But I think that shows that you care about what you’re doing.”
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #64
country flag Xmanfan

Xmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Andy playing Estoril beginning of May now instead of Barcelona at end of April.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #65

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Murray Still Doubtful for GB Tie

Andy Murray will wait until next Wednesday before deciding whether he is fit to play in Great Britain's Davis Cup tie against Serbia & Montenegro.

A scan has revealed that the Scottish teenager damaged ankle ligaments at the Nasdaq 100 Open in Miami last week.

"The ligaments have not fully healed so we will need to monitor my progress on a daily basis," said Murray.

"I will practise with the team and continue the rehabilitation with caution so as not to aggravate it."

The 18-year-old added: "I will re-assess the injury on Wednesday after practice to determine whether or not I am fit to play on Friday."

Murray suffered the injury in his first-round defeat to Stanislas Wawrinka when he slipped and split the brace he has worn on his ankle since last summer.

The Davis Cup tie begins on Friday 7 April in Glasgow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4836938.stm
I hope that if Andy does decide to play that he is fully fit and back to normal. I don't want to see him make it worse in the tie.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #66
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet4Richard
I hope that if Andy does decide to play that he is fully fit and back to normal. I don't want to see him make it worse in the tie.

Yea same here but I think if Andy's not healed he won't play. Well at least I hope not cause I know some will pressure him to.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #67
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

Let the DC alone. The most important thing is, a fit Andy winning on clay. Now he has to show which is his best surface

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Murray Illness Threatens GB Place

Andy Murray has been diagnosed with a fever and swollen glands just four days before Great Britain's crucial Davis Cup tie in Glasgow.

The 18-year-old is already struggling with damaged ankle ligaments, and is due to make a decision on whether or not to play after Wednesday's practice.

But Murray was forced to pull out of a charity coaching event in Glasgow on Monday after consulting a doctor.

Britain face Serbia & Montenegro from Friday at Glasgow's Braehead Arena.

A scan last week revealed that the Scottish teenager damaged ankle ligaments at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami last month.

"The ligaments have not fully healed so we will need to monitor my progress on a daily basis," said Murray.

"I will practise with the team and continue the rehabilitation with caution so as not to aggravate it."

The 18-year-old added: "I will re-assess the injury on Wednesday after practice to determine whether or not I am fit to play on Friday."

Murray suffered the injury in his first-round defeat to Stanislas Wawrinka when he slipped and split the brace he has worn on his ankle since last summer.

Poor Andy First he's injured and now he's sick Feel better soon!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Murray Out of Opening GB Singles

Great Britain will be without Andy Murray for Friday's opening Davis Cup singles matches against Serbia & Montenegro in Glasgow.

But Murray, who has been suffering all week with a bacterial infection, has been selected alongside Greg Rusedski for Saturday's doubles.

Murray said: "I feel 10 times better than on Sunday and Monday but I felt I couldn't justify playing on Friday."

Rusedski and Arvind Parmar will now play in Friday's singles rubbers.

The first match at 1200 BST will see Rusedski face Janko Tipsarevic, followed by Parmar - yet to win a singles match in the Davis Cup in five attempts - against Novak Djokovic.

"From a totally selfish point of view it's a great opportunity for me to have another go and get back out there," Parmar told the LTA's website.

Rusedski and Murray will face Nenad Zimonjic and Ilia Bozoljac in the doubles at 1300 BST on Saturday.

Murray said the ankle ligaments he injured in Miami last month were no longer a concern.

"I hit balls for the first time yesterday and felt okay afterwards, and I played for an hour today, but I didn't think it was right for me to play if I was not 100%."

And Murray admitted that he had been advised not to play at all.

"The doctor's advice would be not to play because of what can happen with infections if you come back too quick," said Murray.

"He told me if it was his son, he would say not to play but it was obviously my decision if I wanted to play."

Great Britain captain Jeremy Bates added: "I'm not prepared to put Andy in a position that jeopardises his health.

"He is well on his way to recovering from a serious infection and it's a question of letting that run its course.

"To expect three days out of him is a little much and it's a question of being sensible really.

"He is very keen to play and be involved and everyone wants him to be involved, but you can't risk him playing here and then being out for three months."
I think that this is a very smart decision on his part. Get Well Soon Andy!!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #70
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he gets better soon. He prob shouldn't be playing at all but DC esp in Glasgow is a big pull.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #71

DC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4888154.stm - Missing Murray?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4892692.stm - Britain Fined for Murray Outbust

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4893566.stm - Britain Must Find New Players

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4890440.stm - GB Struggling After Doubles Loss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4892012.stm - Rusedski Defeat Ends GB Challenge

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #72

An interesting article:

Quote:
Britain's Becker?

Davis Cup veteran John Lloyd believes Scottish teenager Andy Murray has the ability to reach the highest level and in doing so revolutionise tennis in Britain.

The Dunblane youngster's meteoric rise has already made a significant impact north of the border.

For the first time in 36 years a Davis Cup tie is taking place in Scotland, due largely to his involvement.

And last year's televised Scotland v England clash for the Aberdeen Cup would have been unthinkable were it not for the 18-year-old.

"It's been the problem in Britain for years that the public generally think of tennis as just Wimbledon," Lloyd told BBC Sport.

"And after a couple of weeks of excitement the public interest goes back into hibernation. We have to get the message out that tennis is a year-round game.

"It helps when you get stars in your own country and, if Andy Murray becomes the player I think he will, I think he's going to generate an unbelievable amount of interest in the sport.

"I really believe he has the potential to emulate what Boris Becker did in Germany because kids will always want to copy stars.

"He will have to win big tournaments to keep up that momentum and I believe he will.

"Okay, we had Tim Henman - and don't get me wrong - Tim has been a great example for British tennis, but Andy brings something different to the table.

"He has a more obvious appeal for youth in this country.

"And if we can get a few more kids taking up tennis then we have a larger talent pool and our sport will get bigger and better, and I really think Andy can help do that."

Murray missed the first day's play of the Davis Cup with Serbia and Montenegro due to illness.

But he wasn't afforded much rest at court-side in the Braehead Arena as long queues of children mobbed him for autographs - which he willingly provided.

"Another problem for the game is that is has an upper class image," continued Lloyd.

"And Wimbledon, great tournament that it is, in some ways has been detrimental to the game's growth.

"With the strawberries and cream and the ivy, a lot of people think it's out of their range and expensive.

"Andy Murray can change that because he doesn't view it as the ultimate event and talks about other tournaments.

"We need to stress that tennis is not such an expensive game. We can all play it and it's a wonderful family sport. It's a game for life."

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #73

From a Q & A with Thomas Muster

Quote:
"Take Pressure Off Murray"- Muster

The British media and public must take the pressure off Andy Murray, says former world number one Thomas Muster.

Murray, 18, has stormed up the world rankings in the last year and overtaken Tim Henman as British number one.

"Britain is a bit like Austria and Germany," Muster told BBC Sport. "You tend to push people to the skies when they have not really done anything.

"Then when they are down you step and spit on them! I would advise you to keep a neutral position."

Murray has always said his favourite surface is clay after spending his formative years training in Barcelona.

But Muster, who is currently playing in the Chevalier Champions in Hong Kong on the Merrill Lynch Tour of Champions, believes the Scot may have more success on other surfaces.

"He's playing reasonably well but time will tell how his skills improve," said the Austria Davis Cup captain. "There is certainly a lot to improve in his game but he is a young guy.

"He can do very well on hard courts and grass and he grew up on clay, but I think he has developed a game which is better suited to hard courts.

"If I was his coach I would move him in the grass, hard court and indoor direction - he has a really good serve but a lot of players have that.

"There's a big difference between having a good game and being consistent, so I would not predict him to win the French Open at the moment!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4890574.stm

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP Tennis
Andy Murray also has been nominated for the Laureus Newcomer of the Year Award. The Scottish teenager made the biggest jump of any player in the Top 100 from the previous year, climbing 449 ranking spots. He was the second-youngest player in year-end Top 100 and the first teen from Great Britain to finish in year-end Top 100 since Buster Mottram in 1974. He reached at least the second round at nine of 10 ATP events.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...s_nominees.asp
He won't win, but at least its nice to be nominated for something (I'm going for Rafael since I think he deserves it)

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Old 04-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #75
country flag pal83

pal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond reputepal83 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this is the sort of thing that would interest any of you... but here goes anyway!!

it's a little bit of an old interview with my mate David Brewer in which he is talking about Andy...

it is quite old but it makes me giggle!!

On Thursday Brewer was doing the double act with 15-year-old fellow Scot Andrew Murray. With two years’ seniority over his compatriot and having made big strides in junior tennis, does the older Brewer pass on any tips to the talented Murray?
"I just made the leap from being in that position," he points out. "I’m still finding out what it is all about. So it is tough to pass on any information to Andrew. But just earlier he was asking: ‘How many points do I get for this?’ I’m like: ‘30’, and he’s like: ‘How many have you got?’ I say ‘300’, and he says: ‘Oh, I’m never going to get there.’ But it’s just gradual build-up; I tell him: ‘You’ll get points every week if you keep performing,’ and he’s like ‘Oh, okay.’"

i'm new around here, so i'm sorry if you've all seen this before!

Last edited by pal83 : 04-12-2006 at 12:37 PM.
pal83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote