Andy, Articles and news - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #31
country flag Douggie Style

Douggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy, Articles and news

The Times October 01, 2005
Murray on the verge of final ordination
By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent
THERE will be one man on Andy Murray’s side in the Impact Arena — Mark Petchey, his coach — and he may not have many supporters, at least those willing to admit to it publicly, in the whole country. Paradorn Srichaphan is about to pledge a vow of silence and one can imagine the noise levels in Bangkok today if the god of Thai tennis should lose to the precocious young titan of Scotland. It is a reckless fool who fancies getting ahead of himself in any sport, certainly in tennis, but it is impossible not to peek around the corner and notice that Roger Federer is on the threshold of his eleventh final of the year. In his previous ten, he has won every time and, given its status relative to the jewels of the season, the Thailand Open in Bangkok would normally be ticked off pretty smartish for the Swiss back pocket.

But the world No 1 — should he overcome Jarkko Nieminen, of Finland, today — will play Murray or Srichaphan in the final, which guarantees a fabulous story whatever the cut of your jib. For British consumption, the progress of the 18-year-old to his first ATP final in this, the year he made his bow on the tour proper, continues to be irresistible. The matter-of-fact, almost ho-hum manner with which the teenager greeted his 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Robby Ginepri, a career-high US Open semi- finalist three weeks ago, is a further indication that the big stage is where he knows he belongs.

Srichaphan has had, by his standards, a woeful 2005, having tumbled from No 27 to No 57 in the Indesit ATP world rankings since the turn of the year and, apart from reaching the final of Chennai Open in the first week of the season, has suffered 12 first-round losses. That and, at the end of the year, he is to be ordained as a monk, a Thai tradition of gratitude to one’s parents.

“I plan to spend a week in the Thung Setthi Temple at the end of November,” he said. “It had always been my intention to be ordained.” Most eyes will be on the female who is chosen to carry the new monk’s pillow at the service, for Thai tradition has it that the woman will become the wife of the ordained man.

If that is a bit over Murray’s head — and we are still waiting for him to finish his own growing — the quality of the tennis he is producing conclusively vindicates the offer of a wild card into the event and confirms the depths of his promise. In fact, we should not talk of his promise any more, for Murray has become a deliverer. He will be ranked around No 80 next week whatever today’s outcome.

By the end of his match against Ginepri, it was the American who was thrashing his racket into the hard-court surface, the latest in a line of players whose game has been lured into the Murray web and slowly had the life sucked out of it. For that reason alone, to defeat someone in such great shape in such a manner, Petchey was right to describe it as Murray’s finest performance to date.

“When you’re young and trying to make it in this sport there can be lots of pressure and stress but I thought today, once Andy began to serve as we know he can, things began to flow for him,” Petchey said. “He’s done a wonderful job, not least because of all the travel involved after Davis Cup. Roger [Federer] has said he’s struggled with the time zones and changes so that puts Andy’s performances into perspective.

“With the kind of game he has, I would back Andy to break anyone’s serve at least once a set and if we can just find a bit more consistency in his own service games, he’s going to be a real force. But the last two sets today were probably the best I’ve seen him play.”

TELEVISION: Today and tomorrow: Live on Sky Sports Xtra, from 8.30am
Douggie Style is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #32
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_105255.html

Andy Murray admitted it will be a "dream come true" to face world number one Roger Federer in his first ATP final after knocking out home favourite Paradorn Srichaphan in the Thailand Open.

The 18-year-old Scot won 6-7 7-5 6-2 after recovering from losing a first-set tiebreak against the Thai star.

Earlier, Federer powered his way into the final with a convincing 6-3 6-4 victory over Finn Jarkko Nieminen. The Swiss ace, who is the defending champion and top seed, beat sixth seed Nieminen to record his 30th successive victory - the longest winning streak on tour since Austrian Thomas Muster won 35 matches on the trot in 1995.

And Murray is relishing the chance to face the Wimbledon champion.

"It's great. Hopefully I'll get off to a good start tomorrow," he said.

"To play against Federer, the best player in the world and possibly one of the greatest ever in your first ATP final, when I'm only 18 is a dream come true.

"I've just got to go out there and try to concentrate at the start and really go for it."

Murray was forced to steady himself in the semi-final after numerous unforced errors had apparently undermined his performance, but kept a cool head to overcome Srichaphan.

"I didn't start off so well, I was returning badly in the first set and a half and he had some chances off my serve early in the second. I changed the way I was playing and I think it threw him off and towards the end of the second I started to take my grab strokes much better. I feel I played pretty solidly in the third.

"It was pretty tough. Obviously the crowd wanted him to win but I had to try to block that out and I think he played pretty well but unfortunately he hurt his leg at the end of the match. But it was a good match and I enjoyed it."

Srichaphan began by holding serve and a cross-court backhand dropped just out in the second to give the Thai a break point and the Scot then smashed into the net to concede his first service game.

However, in the very next game Murray's drive wide to the Srichaphan forehand at 30-40 saw the Thai fail to return it to bring the score back to 2-1.

Murray found two good first serves to win the fourth game and took the next to deuce before Srichaphan's serve proved too powerful for a 3-2 lead.

A big-kicking serve saved break point at advantage for the third time and Murray took confidence from that to level things up before Srichaphan's serve helped him into a 5-4 lead.

In the crucial 10th game Murray began double fault-ace and then produced another unstoppable first serve at 40-30 to make it 5-5. The Scot fought valiantly but could not prevent Srichaphan holding his serve in a marathon game but he did enough to force the tie-break, though two double faults handed the Thai the set 7-3.

The first 11 games of the second set went with serve with Srichaphan looking the more comfortable. Murray's third service game began with a double fault but he recovered from 30-0 down to hold to go 3-2 up. The Scot then missed a simple net volley to go 30-0 down again but he fought back impressively to go back in front.

Unforced errors cost Murray on Srichaphan's next serve as the Thai made it 4-4 but the 18-year-old held his own only to fail to break his opponent again.

He won his own serve again but during the changeover called for the trainer to look at his right wrist.

Murray resumed the pivotal 12th game without treatment and immediately went 40-0 up against the Srichaphan serve before a net-cord handed the Scot the second set 7-5.

Murray then held his serve in the opening game of the third but further errors handed Srichaphan the next. More slack play forced Murray to save break point before he found his composure to take the game to go 2-1 up.

It was Srichaphan's turn to make errors in the fourth but Murray failed to capitalise against the crowd favourite who evened things up again before the Scot took the fifth. Then it was Srichaphan's turn to call for the trainer as he struggled with muscular problems in his left leg.

After the delay, the Thai player's restricted movement cost him as Murray continued to stretch him and forced a 40-15 lead before pushing on to take the break point.

Murray then held his serve to go 5-2 up and managed to sustain the pressure to force match point in the eighth. He secured victory with a perfectly-executed punched shot down the line.

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #33
country flag tennisgirl19

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great win and tournament

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Proud passenger of the " Murray-Mount " Seat #12
tennisgirl19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #34
country flag ~EMiLiTA~

~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys...i don't normally write here but i just found out today that one of my dad's friends (this guy he works with) is andy murray's uncle! he has worked with this guy for ages and only just found out today when he told dad his nephew just lost to federer! very random! anyway...i'm going to *try* and get an interview with him for my website...it could be a while down the track but i will try and if/when it's done, i'll let u guys know!!
~EMiLiTA~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #35
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

wow, cool, let him know that his nephew is great and has lots of people who like him

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #36

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome and amazing. Good Luck with the interview!!

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Old 10-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #37

Murray & Rusedski Announce Clash

Andy Murray and Greg Rusedski will clash in a Scotland versus England challenge in Aberdeen in November.

The inaugural Aberdeen Cup will be played over 26-27 November and will take a Davis Cup-style format.

"To play for a Scotland team on my home turf against an England team containing the likes of Greg Rusedski is a great opportunity," said Murray.

Rusedski said: "There's always an extra edge when England face Scotland and I'm sure that this will be no exception."

Joining Murray in the Scotland line-up will be his older brother Jamie and current British women's number one Elena Baltacha, as well as a leading Scottish girl and boy from the Fred Perry Challenge.

Invited to play alongside Rusedski for England are David Sherwood and British women's number three Katie O'Brien, as well as a leading English girl and boy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4334898.stm

Old 10-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #38

Murray Expects Wait for Top Spot

Teenage tennis star Andy Murray says he may have to wait for Tim Henman to retire before he can become British number one.

The 18-year-old rose to 72 in the world rankings after reaching the final of the Thailand Open.

That put him within sight of Henman, who has slipped to 27 in the world.

But Murray said: "Tim is still way ahead and he has got at least a couple of good years left in him, so it might have to wait until Tim has retired."

The Scottish teenager, who is currently nursing a hamstring strain, added: "I am not really looking at Tim's career and it is not a question for me of trying to better it.

"My goal is to get into the top 10 and I have said the same thing since I was young. That is my goal for the next 12 or 13 years."

Murray reached his first ATP Tour final at the Thailand Open earlier this month.

He lost in straight sets to world number one Roger Federer, but nevertheless put up an impressive fight.

And Murray beat US Open semi-finalist Robby Ginepri and former world top-10 player Paradorn Srichaphan on his way to the final in Bangkok.

"I reached the final of an ATP tournament and now I know I can live with the best players, but I still have a lot to work on," Murray said.

"My target for next year is to concentrate on some of my weaknesses and improving my game.

"Now I know I can beat some of the best players in the world and it is about improving my fitness and getting physically in good shape.

"I competed with Federer pretty well and I still saw a number of things I could improve upon, so I can be a better player and go even higher."

Murray intends to get back in action in two weeks' time in the ATP event in Basle.

He will then go to Paris for the Tennis Masters Series event, which he has been granted a wildcard into qualifying for

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...murrray203.jpg

Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 AM   #39

Beckham hails rising star Murray

David Beckham has saluted the emergence of rising British tennis star Andy Murray, calling him "one of Britain's best young sportsmen".
"We've obviously got Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski, but to have Murray coming through is great for our country," Beckham said.

"I think Murray is great, and it's going to be exciting watching him develop as a player.

"I think he's one of Britain's best young sportsmen."

Beckham, who was a spectator at this week's Madrid Masters, said he had been monitoring Murray's phenomenal progress in recent months.

He believes the 18-year-old Scot will cope with the pressure of shouldering British hopes in the coming years.

"From watching him, I don't think that'll be a problem in his career," Beckham added.

"I've seen his mother talk on the TV and and I think he's got strong parents behind him, and that's what you need when you start out as a sportsman."

Murray's mother Judy, who manages his affairs, acknowledged Beckham's praise for her son's feats.

"It's great for Andy to know that David Beckham is a tennis fan," she said.

"He will be flattered that one of the world's most famous footballers is taking an interest in him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4366380.stm

Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #40
country flag Duncan
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Duncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome, its a pity he still supports Barca! lol
Duncan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #41
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Andy is listed on the early player list for the San Jose tournament in February. This tournament begins the Monday after the first round of Davis Cup. www.saopopentennis.com

If he's coming over for San Jose, I would bet that means he will stay for Memphis and Las Vegas too, leading up to Indian Wells.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 AM   #42
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute

OO thanks for that!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #43
country flag Raquel

Raquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond repute

Andy won the BBC Scotland Sports Personality of the Year

http://icrenfrewshire.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html

Quote:
Murray crowned sports personality

Dec 9 2005

Teenage tennis sensation Andrew Murray has been crowned this year's top sports personality in Scotland.

The Wimbledon quarter-finalist won the title of BBC Scotland's Sports Personality of the Year 2005 after gaining 55% of the public vote.

He beat off the challenge of big-name stars such as golfer Colin Montgomerie and cyclist Chris Hoy and won by the biggest margin ever recorded north of the border.
The article says he was a Wimbledon quarter finalist. Wishful thinking maybe
C'mon Lleyton!
HoPp FuNkY Flo!
Raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #44
country flag keep_er_lit!

keep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond reputekeep_er_lit! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
The article says he was a Wimbledon quarter finalist. Wishful thinking maybe
2006 perhaps?
keep_er_lit! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #45
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute

Probably!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote