Andy, Articles and news - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #346
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy, Articles and news

London Calling

DEUCE
by Staff

Andy Murray has won more titles than any other British players in the Open Era.

Andy Murray shoulders the privilege and pressure of playing in front of home fans at The O2. Can Britain’s best player of the Open Era rise to the occasion?

“It’s amazing I get to play in front of a home crowd again,” said British No. 1 Andy Murray when he was first told he’d qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. “It was such a good atmosphere last year. It was the first year at The O2, and they put on a great event. I look forward to competing again.”

This will be Murray’s third appearance in his capital city this year. He reached the third round at the AEGON Championships in June, and then, a couple of weeks later delighted British fans with his stunning run to the semi-finals at Wimbledon. One of those British fans was The Queen, who watched her subject in action and met him in person after his match.

While spectators at Murray’s other tournaments throughout the year may not have been quite so regal, he has nevertheless posted some sovereign results. After reaching the final of the Australian Open in January – the first Briton to do so since the 1970s – he later lifted trophies at two ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events, in Toronto and Shanghai, winning both finals over Roger Federer in straight sets.

All of which brings his total tally of tour-level titles to 16. When you consider that fellow Britons Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski won 11 and 15 titles respectively before retiring, it’s fair to say that Murray is now Britain’s most successful tennis player in the Open Era. And still only 23 years old.

It’s quite an achievement, and one that Murray has worked very hard for. Currently ranked No. 5 in the world – but previously as high as No. 2 – he looks to be one of the most physically strong of all the players on the tour. His ability to chase down balls other players would leave for dead and his knack of striking aggressive winners from almost anywhere on the court make him a very intimidating opponent. Often, even more effective than this, is the way he disorientates opponents by constantly varying his style of play.

Murray knows that if he is to reach the very top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings he needs to both heighten this aggression and continue with the variation, especially when he’s up against three players ranked above him: Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.

“I have to make them feel like they’re under pressure a little bit more,” he said recently. “I think when I played [and beat] Roger in Toronto, I played a lot more aggressive; didn’t give him many chances to really dictate the points, especially on my serve. That’s something I need to do against them in the future if I want to beat them.”

Murray believes he knows which areas to target. “Roger plays closer to the baseline, but he doesn’t hit as many winners off his backhand. You obviously need to try to keep the ball away from Roger’s forehand, whereas Novak, he can hurt you from any part of the court. You need to kind of balance your attacks a bit more. You need to change the pace of the ball, use some slice, try not to let him get in too much of a rhythm because when he is in a rhythm he can dictate the points.”

Based in Surrey, where he lives in a Ł5 million mansion with his girlfriend Kim Sears and his pet Border Terrier Maggie, Murray is very much the local boy at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. It’s surely an advantage that he can commute home after matches, instead of having to stay in a hotel.

Aside from Kim and Maggie (the latter of whom incidentally now has her own Twitter page), other members of Murray’s entourage include part-time coach Alex Corretja (who twice reached the Roland Garros final), strength and conditioning coaches Jez Green and Matt Little, and physio Andy Ireland. Murray says he plans to appoint a full-time coach in the near future.

When it comes to family there is father William (who works in retail management), mother Judy (a professional tennis coach) and older brother Jamie, whom he teamed up with to win the Valencia doubles title earlier this month.

It was thanks to his older brother that, in the week ahead of their Valencia triumph, Murray made a rare trip back to his hometown of Dunblane, up in Scotland. The occasion was Jamie’s wedding to his Colombian girlfriend Alejandra Gutierrez. As best man, Murray stood alongside his brother – both men in kilts, of course – at the private ceremony at Cromlix House, a luxury hotel near Dunblane. Murray also organised Jamie’s stag party at a nightclub in the West End of London.

But now his entire focus will be on the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. In 2008, on his debut in the season finale, when the tournament was played in Shanghai, he reached the semi-finals. Last year he won two matches and lost one match during round robin play, after which he narrowly missed out on qualification into the semi-finals due to game difference.

This year, as the only home nation player competing, he must ensure he progresses further.

Story reproduced with permission from the official Barclays ATP World Tour Finals tournament program.
Order your copy online: http://merchandise.theo2.co.uk/

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...dy-Murray.aspx
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #347
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article Doris
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #348

Thanks for the Article And Good Luck to Andy
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #349
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Andy discussed in a few good blog entries.

http://tennisisserved.blogspot.com/2...gyle-andy.html

Sunday, 21 November 2010

London WTF: ‘Argyle’ Andy

Murray d. Soderling 62 64

Yep….it was that darn good.

Sod never got going, but in truth Muzz ran down everything he did manage to send his way and got him into all sorts of four dimensional knots every time he came to the net.

Sometimes you can neither run nor hide. Thankfully Sod has a couple matches to go, but will have to raise his game having come out so scarred and ‘set-less’ from this encounter.

There was some talk about why Muzz should change his “passive” style of play when it’s good enough to beat the #4 player in the world so emphatically.

Truth is, the #4 player (get used to hearing me say that) could neither buy a first serve nor any semblance of momentum – most of those other six won’t have those problems and have more options to draw on if and when they do.

A spectacular way to come through what was, after all, his opening match – it’d be equally spectacular folly, though, to expect to continue to win playing with the same slicey-dicey economy. A little mix and match never hurt anyone – and there's plenty of wandering monsters lurking in both groups looking to do just that.

Have to admit I had my doubts about the argyle vintage wear – but it looks FAR better on court than the pinstriped thing you see in the online brochures.

It also has other vintage approval.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #350
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennistalkanyone.com/2010...ling-look.html

Sunday, November 21, 2010

No drama with Murray-Soderling? Look again!

Well, here we are: World Tour Finals time! This is the finish line for everyone on the season except Novak Djokovic, who still has Davis Cup duty to attend to.

While the first day of action was pretty straightforward, there was an interesting result: that being Andy Murray defeating Paris Masters champ Robin Soderling pretty easily. It's funny to think that an opening match could have a big impact on the rest of the tournament, but I feel that was the case with this one. No offense to David Ferrer, but the other players in Group B must feel that he's a gimme. Then you have Roger Federer in there, who's absolutely the opposite of that. So you're left with the winner of the Murray-Soderling match having a good shot at the semis, and Murray came through it.

Now, I'm not saying anyone should actually pack their bags because that's just not what you do, but Soderling has an extremely tough task ahead of him. Should make for interesting viewing in the days ahead when it comes to him.

(And props to Murray for rockin' the Lendl gear!)

(Photo: Getty Images)
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #351
country flag Getta

a quite interesting (not so) recent blog entry.

http://thefanchild.blogspot.com/2010...step-from.html

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Andy Murray: One Small Step from Immortality

Not many people envy Andy Murray at the moment, but that will change in a heartbeat if he wins a Grand Slam.

He can do it. He can't do it. He's got to do it next year. He'll never do it next year.

Everybody has their own personal opinion on whether or not Andy Murray will eventually become the first player from Great Britain to win a Grand Slam since Fred Perry in 1936, but we can all agree on one thing: If he ever does it, he'll be set for life.

Think about it. Guys like Federer and Nadal spend their whole lives trying to collect Grand Slam hardware, but all Murray has to do is win one and he'll become an instant hero whose legend will more than likely never be tarnished.

The point that I'm trying to illustrate is that Andy Murray actually has a pretty good deal being a Brit. Really, he does. Most people feel sympathy for the strapping young British buck because he has had to deal with a ridiculous amount of media attention and scrutiny ever since it became obvious that he could be "the guy."

That's a fate I wouldn't wish on any young athlete, but the flip-side of the coin more than makes it worth while. Murray has been handed a very realistic challenge, and if he should succeed in fulfilling his promise (all we need is one Grand Slam, Andy) over the course of the next several years, he'll go down in tennis lore as the bona fide superman of British tennis.

Just one Slam, and the keys to the castle are yours, Mr. Murray. But if you should fall short, you'll forever be relegated to the back pages of those history books, in the index under "almost, but not quite."

There is no doubt that Murray's quest for glory has been somewhat hindered by fact that the media puts a target on his back each and every time he goes out to play a Slam. Professional tennis players thrive on challenges, and every time one of them faces Andy Murray in a Grand Slam, the media basically dares them to spoil the moment that a whole nation is loudly longing for. Guys like Stan Wawrinka are more than happy to go out and play inspired tennis to see if they can be the one to hit the target and make tennis' biggest headline for the day, and sometimes they do.

But can Andy Murray's string of failure in Grand Slams last forever, given the sheer and impressive amount of talent and moxie that the man possesses?

There is still the very undeniable fact that Murray has been to a Slam final in two of the last three years in spite of the madness that surrounds him (And a few Wimbledon semis to boot). And if you judge the 23-year-old by his words - press conferences in which he sounds genuinely patient and unperturbed by the expectations - he's getting better and better at ignoring the press and just doing what he does best on the court.

One point at a time, one game at a time, one match at a time, and one day, presto, we could all be watching Andy sipping tea with the Queen while paparazzi stumble over themselves to snap a picture below.

As difficult as it must be to concentrate on tennis with a media maelstrom tracking his every move, his every pending coaching decision and Playstation-induced breakup with his girlfriend, his every tweet and his every quip with the LTA, Andy Murray actually has an incredibly low bar to immortality in front of him.

He just needs ONE lousy Slam and he'll become a national hero for the rest of his life, even if he shows up at the next tournament fifty pounds overweight with a six-pack of Guinness by his chair where his bottle of energy water used to sit. Even if he dumps Kim Sears and tells the world that he's in love with his mom - none of it will matter.

Yes, it's that simple: For Murray, one Slam equals immortality. Meanwhile, geniuses like Federer and Nadal have to try and rack up as many Slams as possible in order for them to continue in this unwinnable quest for GOAT-ness. It's a never-ending treadmill that Murray will never have to deal with.

And perhaps, now that we are all expecting it a little less in 2011 than we were in 2010, things will fall into place for Murray, and he'll get it done.

He's given an awful lot of himself to this game, and it'd sure be nice if the gods of tennis gave a little something back to Andy, and to Great Britain for that matter. Just one Slam would be more than enough.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #352
country flag Getta

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis/And...all.6642360.jp

Quote:
Andy Murray does it all - except win

Published Date: 28 November 2010
By ALIX RAMSAY

Over the course of three hours and 11 minutes of at times sensational, at times unbelievable competition, Murray had won more points than Nadal (114 to 109), he had hit more winners than Nadal (53 to 32) and he had struck more aces than Nadal (22 to four). But he had still lost. Today it will be the world No.1 in the final and Murray will be back at home in Surrey wondering what more he could have done to win.

"I'm disappointed to lose, but it was a great match," Murray said. "It was great tennis. I played maybe two or three bad points on my serve in the third set when I got broken. Apart from that, I don't think there was really much in it. In a match that long, I don't think it comes down, really, to one point."

For more than an hour, Murray and Nadal eyed each other with caution. Like two heavyweights at the weigh-in, they stood eyeball to eyeball knowing full well that the first man to blink was in trouble. And for the first 50 minutes, nobody blinked.

That opening set was decided on a couple of points - Murray just missed them both - while the second was decided on some of the best tennis Murray has ever played. From facing a couple of break points in the second game, the Scot rallied, held serve and then attacked the top seed with power, precision and terrifying aggression.

Nadal was trying everything he knew to stop Murray, but he could not hold him. He tried big, looping balls that bounced high over Murray's ears; the Scot walloped them back into the corners. He tried serving straight into Murray's body; Murray dodged and got back to work on Nadal's second serve. The Spaniard was good but for that set, Murray was brilliant.

Both men had come to London with big ambitions. For Nadal, the ATP Finals is the one title of note missing from his collection. Seldom happy on the indoor circuit, winning the end-of-season showcase is one of the toughest tasks set before him every year and, until yesterday, he had never got past the last four. But this year he is fit, he is not too tired and he fancies his chances - and he knew that if he could get past Murray, the man who had beaten him four times in their past five meetings on a hard court, the title would be within his reach at last.

Murray, meanwhile, was trying to shake off the memories of a frustrating year.

To win the Finals could not replace winning a grand slam, but it would be the next best thing and it would provide a launch pad for next season. And he almost pulled it off.

He repelled Nadal's first match point deep in the third set but from there, he kept the Spaniard running for another 35 minutes as he broke back, fought his way to the deciding tiebreak and then took a 3-0 lead. He was so close to winning, he could almost taste it. But then Nadal did what Nadal always does: he ripped the match from his opponent's grasp. It was the best indoor match the Spaniard had ever played and while it was a cruel end for Murray, it was one from which he can take some comfort and an awful lot of pride.

"Hopefully I'll get more chances to play him in these sort of matches because today is the reason why I play tennis," Murray said. "I think the match today is how I want to play all the time.

"I want to try and build on that for next year. It was a great match to finish the year. But I need to improve because I'm competing with the two best players of all time (Roger Federer and Nadal]. So if I want to win these tournaments, I want to win the grand slams, I need to get better.

"I kind of knew when I was out there that it was a great match. The noise the crowd made when we changed ends at six-all was pretty incredible. It's nice in some ways to be involved in matches like that. But it's not nice losing them."

Deep down, Murray knows that if he can play consistently as well as he played yesterday, he will be involved in many more historic matches in the coming years. And next time, he will not be on the losing end.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #353
country flag Getta

http://wwwsavannahsworld.blogspot.co...posterity.html

Saturday, November 27, 2010

A WTF Semi For Posterity

by Savannah

It's already being called one of if not the match of the year. Andy Murray faced off against Rafael Nadal in the packed O2 stadium. Scottish flags and signs asking Rafa to marry the woman holding them were dispersed among the 17,500 people who had come to see two of the top four men in the world facing off against each other. Three hours later they had seen a match that will be talked about for a very long time.

The first set was decided by a tiebreak won by Nadal 7-6(4) and it looked as if it would be a quick ho-hum straight set win for him. Instead Rafa began to show his nerves and the next thing you knew Murray had won the second set 6-3.

If you like indoor tennis and great shot making the third set was your trip to Nirvana. The two battled with Nadal up a break and serving for the match at 5-4. Murray managed a break to level things at 5 all and then both men, fighting their nerves as well as each other kicked it up a notch. Murray, struggling to make a return fell and visibly pulled his groin. He had been hitting his left thigh with his racquet for some time but after he pulled his groin I know I was hoping he would have it in him to continue. He did.
Anyone who is a Rafa fan knows about his will and desire to win. I think that after today all of the doubters, those who belittled his style of play and ability to play on surfaces other than clay will no longer sing that song.

When Murray missed a forehand at six all in the tiebreak that was all she wrote. Rafa gathered his nerve and ended the match with the fans standing and cheering.

ESPN is airing one of the semi's tomorrow morning. The first semi lasted three hours. One can only assume they will highlight this match especially the third set..
Great matches deserve to be seen by all sports fans. Congratulations to both men.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #354
country flag EKSTREMISTA

EKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond reputeEKSTREMISTA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Amazing effort from serbia in davis cup, no funding, poor facilities but people with big hearts, work ethic and desire geat job

Andy Murray
Thanx,Scottish brother,your the man!
To bad you are playing for England.

EKSTREMISTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #355
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKSTREMISTA View Post
Thanx,Scottish brother,your the man!
To bad you are playing for England.

He's playing for Britain, not England

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 473-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #356
country flag Yazoo.C

Yazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond repute

Andy Murray confirms Alex Corretja as coach until June

British number one Andy Murray has confirmed Spaniard Alex Corretja will continue in his role as his main coach for at least the first half of 2011.

Former world number two Corretja took the role in July after Murray split with previous coach Miles Maclagan.

Australian Darren Cahill and former British number one Tim Henman have ruled out working with Murray after being linked to the job.

Murray confirmed Dani Vallverdu would carry on assisting him with training.

"Andy has taken time out from his busy pre-season fitness training to confirm that the current coaching set-up, with both Alex Corretja and Dani Vallverdu, will continue into the first half of next year," read a statement on Murray's website.

"The guys are busy planning their tournament schedule for the early part of 2011 and are, as a team, very focused on preparing in the best way possible for each tournament."

Murray had stated in October that he had hoped to hire a new coach by the end of 2010.

Frontrunner Cahill, who previously coached Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi, ruled himself out in August to concentrate on other coaching and commentating commitments.

Henman, who speaks to Murray about his game in an informal capacity, was always an outside contender to take on Murray as his first coaching role.

American Todd Martin, who was sacked as Novak Djokovic's coach in April, has suggested he would be interested in working with Murray.

Maclagan's departure from Murray's coaching team is believed to have followed disagreements over the inclusion of clay-court specialist Corretja in his initial role as a part-time consultant.

Former GB Davis Cup player Maclagan was appointed by Murray after the Scot dispensed with the services of American Brad Gilbert in November 2007.

Gilbert had been employed by the Lawn Tennis Association to work with Britain's top players, with a focus on Murray.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9305308.stm
Yazoo.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #357
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he would struggle to find someone he wanted but who would travel enough...
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #358
country flag Yazoo.C

Yazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond repute

Andy Murray leaves no stone unturned in Australian Open quest

UNBEATEN in Hopman Cup singles, Australian Open finalist Andy Murray hopes to hone his Melbourne Park preparations in the AAMI Classic at Kooyong.

The Scot, who dropped to fifth in the world rankings yesterday, wants to play at least once this week.

“I think I’m going to play one match on Thursday,” he said.

“It is good to play there because obviously (in Perth) it has been indoors.

“It can get very, very windy there (Kooyong). I’ll play a match on Thursday and see if I can play another one or if I feel l need one.”

Murray, 23, has based himself at Melbourne Park, working hard to ensure he can better last season’s performance of reaching the final that he lost to Roger Federer.

“Things change day to day in sport”, Murray said. “So you need to make sure that tomorrow I practise well on the practice court and train hard. You just have to keep putting the work in. You can’t slack off.”

“It (the Hopman Cup) has only been a week of playing points.”

“You still want to do some movement work on the court. There’s still stuff to work on.”

If Murray gains a Kooyong start, he will add to an impressive display of talent led by 2010 Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych and former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt.

Last week’s Doha finalist Nikolay Davydenko, Jurgen Melzer, Gael Monfils, Mikhail Youzhny, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Fernando Verdasco complete the field.

Play starts at Kooyong tomorrow.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1225985237171
Yazoo.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #359
country flag elena_k

elena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond repute

http://sport.idnes.cz/bratr-tenisty-...4154_tenis_bur

not in english but there is a typing error in the title, which suggests the bird it self said he was shocked when he got hit by the tennis ball.

It was supposed to say Murray's brother was shocked when he hit the bird.
Anyway I thought it was funny
elena_k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #360
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Andy posted this on his FB

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225992608850

Quote:
Teenage Nadal was wake-up call I needed

* Andy Murray
* January 22, 2011 12:00AM

THIS week I told you about choosing tennis over football as a teenager. But following that I also had another huge call to make, one that is a big reason why I am playing a third-round match at the Australian Open today.

Some of you probably know that Rafael Nadal and I have been competitors and good friends since our teenage years, but you may not realise he was a major influence in my decision to leave home at 15 to move to Spain.

As juniors, our countries used to play against each other in team competitions such as the European Winter Cup, though I never actually had to play him as I was a year younger and played No 2 for Britain while he led the Spanish team. But we weren't holding tennis racquets when he said something that led to me moving to Barcelona.

Instead, we were part of a group of guys playing racquetball.

I was asking all the guys in this group who they were practising with and when Nadal said Carlos Moya, it was a big wake-up call.

Back home, because we never had the opportunity to play sport in school - something I think should change given there are great opportunities for people to make a living out of sport - I could only practise for 90 minutes, four days a week with my coach. Yet here was a rival hitting with one of the world's best players and training four or five hours a day for five days a week.

I realised I was not doing enough and knew I had to move. It wasn't something I wanted to do and I knew it would be tough because my older brother, Jamie, had moved to an academy at Cambridge when he was 12 but it didn't really work out for him. He got homesick and wanted to come home. I know my mum and dad were a bit worried about my decisions because they just wanted us to be happy, but after deciding I wanted to play tennis instead of football I needed to give it everything I had.

The hardest time was the first few meals I had when I arrived at the academy in Spain. It was a bit of a culture shock.

I knew only one other guy there - and not that well - so I was walking into the canteen and sitting down alone. And it wasn't even great food. No paella unfortunately! We were just fed pasta and salads. The biggest change, though, was the time we would eat dinner and when we would go to bed. In the UK, most people have dinner at 6pm and I was used to going to bed about nine o'clock. In Spain, people don't eat till then. It was all a bit different, but being able to do school and sport at the same time, instead of just school, was great for me.

Those first few weeks were tough but given I extended my stay there, I loved it. And I never really felt homesick, even though I missed my family, because we were often on the road going somewhere to play. And as well as helping me become a tennis player, I also met my two best friends there, one from Peru and the other from Venezuela. Dani travels with me as my hitting partner and is a very good player.

Given this, you would think I'd be able to speak Spanish well. Sadly, it's pretty ropey. I understand quite a lot when people are speaking but the problem was everyone spoke English there, because it was an international academy. So while I tried to speak to my friends in Spanish, they would reply in English, so I didn't learn as much as I would have liked.

Having played my second-round match against Illya Marchenko on Margaret Court Arena, I would love to be scheduled there again, because it always provides one of the best atmospheres to play in. It was buzzing there in my match on Thursday. A lot of British fans get in there, have a few beers and give me great support. It feels like a Davis Cup tie sometimes. A pleasing thing from my second match was the number of aces and free points I received on my first serve.

I worked a lot on it during the off-season in Miami and Perth, so it was good to serve well, particularly as Margaret Court Arena can be a tricky environment with its swirling winds.

I have only played my next opponent, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, once on grass at Queen's. He is a guy who has been playing well for the past seven or eight months and even managed to beat Rafa in Bangkok, which was a big win for him. He is a very solid player who does everything well and has improved a lot on hardcourts, so it will be a tough match, but one I'm definitely looking forward to.

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote