Andy, Articles and news - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy, Articles and news

way to go!!

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #17
country flag tennisgirl19

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

CHALLENGER TITLE FOR MURRAY

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/n...IS_Murray.html

Scot Andy Murray won the Comerica Challenger with a 6-4 6-3 win over fellow wildcard Rajeev Ram in the final.

Murray shot to prominence when he reached the third round of Wimbledon before losing a five-set clash to David Nalbandian on Centre Court.

The Dunblane 18-year-old played with the same focus in Aptos, California and used his full repertoire of shots to become the youngest winner in the tournament's 19-year history. He collected 60 ATP points and a Ł6,150 top prize.

"I had to work hard to make the right shot," said Murray. "Rajeev was getting to passing shots that nobody else has been getting to.

"It seemed like he would just stick out his racket and the ball would come back."

American Ram served at 4-5 in the first set and had two chances to pull level at 5-5.

But Murray kept coming up with big service returns and eventually won the set with an uncontested back-hand winner down the line.

"Andy has been playing very well and has been on a bit of a run this summer. I want to congratulate him. He is tough to beat when he is returning and making passing shots so well," said Ram.

Murray now heads to the Indianapolis ATP Tournament where he has again received a wildcard entry.

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Proud passenger of the " Murray-Mount " Seat #12
tennisgirl19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #18

tennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/arc...es/03sport.htm

too lazy to copy and paste

Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Tommy Robredo, Mario Ancic, Bob and Mike Bryan, David Ferrer, Marat Safin, Andrew Murray, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, Julien Benneateau, Nicolas Mahut, Eric Chvojka y Feliciano Lopez

Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #19
country flag fivesetthriller

fivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis...name_page.html

19 July 2005

MURRAY IN A HURRY
Scot shoots 400 places up world rankings in a year
Darren Lewis

ANDY MURRAY remains on course to smash his way into the world top 100 after winning a tournament in California.

Victory gave the 18-year-old the perfect boost ahead of his US Open bid which begins in the qualifiers next month.

It also means he has rocketed more than 400 places up the rankings from unknown to a household name in less than 12 months.

Murray, last year's US Open Junior winner, rose from 205 in the world to 164 after beating American Rajeev Ram 6-4 6-3 in the Challenger series.

The Scot received a wild card into the event after fine performances at Queen's and at Wimbledon, where he lost to former finalist David Nalbandian in the third round.

Murray repaid the faith shown in him by event organisers by not dropping a set all week. He said last night: "This tournament is very important to me.

"I've been playing very well this last four or five weeks. I want to keep up my momentum and move into the top 100 by next year."

Murray, the youngest winner in the event's 19-year history, clinched the match with an uncontested backhand down the line. He added: "I had to work hard to make the right shot. He was getting to passing shots no one else was."

The win earned him just Ł6,150 in prize money. But, more importantly, it offered further proof Murray has it in him to turn on the style away from the big stage such as Wimbledon.

He crashed out of the Hall of Fame Championships in America after just two matches earlier this month and lost, on a rain-soaked surface, to France's world No.111 Anthony Dupuis.

But before that world No.126 Gregory Carraz became the latest in a string of higher-ranked players beaten by Murray.

At Queen's he saw off world No.30 Taylor Dent and took world No.20 Thomas Johansson to within two points of defeat before losing. At Wimbledon, George Bastl - then 166 places above him - became a victim, followed by 14th seed Radek Stepanek. He led Nalbandian by two sets to love before falling in five sets.

Murray kicked off his Challenger quest by cruising to victories over Canada's Frederic Niemeyer and Australian Marc Kimmick. Experienced Israeli Harel Levy was next, followed by American Bobby Reynolds in the semi-final.

Murray is back on the main ATP Tour this week after being given a wildcard for the RCA Championships in Indianapolis.

The rise and rise of Andy

Aug 2004: Starts the month world ranked 571.Wins US Open Junior title: 479

June 2005: Reaches French Open junior semis: 359. Then gets through to the Stella Artois 3rd rnd: 312

July: Becomes the last remaining Brit at Wimbledon in reaching 3rd rnd: 213

Beats world No.126 Gregory Carraz in Hall of Fame at Newport: 205

Wins California Challenger in Aptos on Sunday: 164
fivesetthriller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #20
country flag Tennis_Mad

Tennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond reputeTennis_Mad has a reputation beyond repute

The RCA Championships have served as the Great Escape for Andy Murray after the hothouse conditions which marked his surprise appearance in the Wimbledon third round last month.
Bill Scott, Thursday, July 21
INDIANAPOLIS -- The RCA Championships have served as the Great Escape for Andy Murray after the hothouse conditions which marked his surprise appearance in the Wimbledon third round last month.

With the home pressure not a factor for the 18-year-old from Scotland at the Indianapolis Tennis Center, Murray was able to work on his game as he sampled the delights of one of the best of the ATP summer events.

British No. 3 Murray is happy to have earned a day or two of rest after putting up a major fight in a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 second round losing effort against the more experienced Mardy Fish.

But his few days during his debut week in Indy left a vivid impression on the teenager who looks set to threaten at the top of the game in years to come.

"Over here, its better," admitted Murray, who has been impressed with the creature comforts on site.

Indy has long been noted for over-the-top gestures to players, including, in former years, a raffle for a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. But chances for golf, go-karting, unlimited video games and tickets for Indians baseball games go down well with Murray.

"It's absolutely unbelievable here," he said. "You stay at great hotels, you get to play in front of big crowds. There is internet in the players' lounge - everything."

Murray and his coach Mark Petchey, a former tour player, particularly appreciated the atmosphere on this Midwest sporting capital.

"It's best just to get away from it so I can concentrate on my tennis."

Murray arrived in Indy on Monday after catching the redeye from California after winning his first career Challenger title at the weekend in Aptos.

The teenager - even with a supply of youthful energy - admits that a 13-hour stretch of sleep upon an early morning arrival Monday might not have helped before he managed to trudge lethargically through an opening win.

Murray said that in future he'll do a bit more time management.

"I was lethargic because I came to the club quite early and hung around quite a lot. I'll hopefully be able to plan my days a little bit better."

"We had to fly through the night (Sunday) and I didn't get much sleep."

Murray will now travel to Canada for pair of Challengers as he works to improve his ranking.

While he not counting on a wild card into the U.S. Open main draw as the 2004 junior champion, he wouldn't turn down the offer if it was made. But for the hard-worker, nothing in the game can be taken for granted.

Welcome to Murraymaina! (maybe)

Will anyone stop the Fed experess...on grass and hardcourt at least?

Nadal - The new king on clay !

Tennis_Mad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

Murray climbs world rankings
1.07PM, Mon Jul 25 2005
Andy Murray has risen further up the tennis world rankings after reaching the second round in Indianapolis.

The teenager has climbed eight places from 164th to 156th in the world in the week he beat Jesse Witten in the RCA Championships and then lost to Mardy Fish.

Greg Rusedski reached the semi-finals in the same event and he rises one place to 39th.

Tim Henman remains the British number one despite falling one place to 12th

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #22

Tennis-Murray may reap slam success, says Wilander

By Ossian Shine, Reuters

LONDON, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Scotland's Andy Murray could be the man to end Britain's long wait for a grand slam champion, former world number one Mats Wilander says.

Not since Fred Perry won both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1936 has a British man triumphed at one of the big four tournaments but seven-times slam champion Wilander rates Murray's ability.

"I think that tennis-wise he's probably as good as I was when I was 17," said the Swede who won the French Open at that age.

"I was very impressed with him at Wimbledon. I had seen him play before without being too impressed, but the way he handled the situation of being the focal point of the tournament after (Tim) Henman had lost was very impressive."

Wilander, playing this week in Portugal to try and qualify for November's Delta Tour of Champions Masters at London's Royal Albert Hall, said the Scottish teenager had the right attitude.

"(At Wimbledon) he even seemed nonchalant, as if he was not satisfied with his own performance, and you have to be like that," he said.

"He wasn't playing to win Wimbledon, he was playing to improve, and that's what I always tried to do. In that way he also reminded me a little of (French Open champion) Rafael Nadal."

RANKING POINTS

Since losing in the third round of Wimbledon against Argentine David Nalbandian, Murray has been racking up ranking points on the Challenger circuit in America -- one level below the main tour.

He won a Challenger title in California, and reached a quarter-final in Canada, to climb to No.153 in the men's rankings.

While Wilander is impressed by Murray's make-up, he warns the youngster still has much to prove.

Murray is yet to go beyond the second round of an ATP level event outside of Britain, and it is those kinds of tournaments that Wilander believes will ultimately determine his future.

"Andy Murray may have proved to the British public that he can play, but he's proven nothing to the guys on the tour yet," the Swede said.

"They know that he won a couple of rounds at Wimbledon, but let's see what happens when he is in the first round of an American hardcourt tournament playing in 110 degree heat.

"He's with the big boys now and he is still a junior in their eyes. He has a lot to prove."

Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #23
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

Murray clinches Challenger win

Andy Murray claimed his second title in a month with victory in the Binghamton Challenger final in New York State.
The British number three, who played both his quarter and and semi-finals on Saturday, saw off the challenge of Colombian Alejandro Falla 7-6 6-3.

The victory adds to the 18-year-old Scot's win at the Aptos Challenger in California last month.

Murray, who last week rose to 145th in the world rankings, has a wildcard for this week's Cincinnati Masters.

The Scot was pleased to have held off Falla's fast start in Binghamton.

"Alejandro has gone through qualifying so he's played a lot of matches and he started out very well," said Murray.

"I managed to hold serve pretty well today and I played a pretty solid match."

Murray believes he is on target to achieve his goal of breaking into the world's top 100 by the end of the year, although he knows he has to work on his fitness levels.

"I've won against some good players, I've beaten seven or eight guys inside the top 200," he said.

"I think I'm ready. Maybe physically I'm not in as good shape as a lot of the guys inside the top 100 but I think my tennis is there.

"This isn't the same as winning on the ATP tour, but winning these tournaments gives you a lot of confidence because there are still a lot of good players here."

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #24

Thanks

Old 08-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #25
country flag fivesetthriller

fivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond reputefivesetthriller has a reputation beyond repute

Great article about Andy @ US Open. LOL at the lacy underwear in the post.

http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/spo...3/ixsport.html

Murray and rock 'n' roll New York are made for each other
By Mark Hodgkinson

(Filed: 23/08/2005)

As a teenage player now infamous for his walk-on routine, in which he emerges from the locker room listening to the thrash and drums on his iPod, it is hardly a surprise that Andy Murray lists the US Open as his favourite tournament. Playing tennis in New York, he has said, is "more rock 'n' roll" than the garden party feel of Wimbledon.

It is not just that Murray has fond memories of Flushing Meadows from last year, as it was on these hard courts that he became the junior champion, the first Briton to win the boys' singles title. The 18-year-old, like most people of his age, enjoys loud music, noise, and vibrant colours, and the US Open, the final grand slam event of the season and also the liveliest by quite some distance, has those in abundance.

"They play music during the change of ends and there's lots of noise and excitement. It's a got a real buzz about it, it's more rock 'n' roll, so it attracts a much younger audience as well as traditional tennis fans," Murray said yesterday.

"The night matches are cool, the atmosphere is great. I like to play in New York as the fans are really noisy and they support the guy who is behind as they want to see good, close tennis," he said.

First, though, Murray must qualify for the tournament. He was denied a wild card into the main draw, meaning that he is unable to rest his tiring body and his serving shoulder this week, as he had been hoping to do after seven weeks without a break in America.

There has been some concern over the shoulder, which has been sore on his serve and has caused him difficulties sleeping. The qualifying event starts today and he must win three matches in four days if he is to make his first appearance at a major without the help of a wild card.

If Murray does qualify for the US Open, it is likely that the atmosphere will help him play some of the ferocious, intelligent tennis that he is capable of - especially if he is feeling a little tired. He is far from shy on the court, a player who enjoys the theatrical nature of a tennis match as much as anyone else on the Tour, so New York is surely the crowd for him. Murray and the US Open appear to be a neat fit.

The regulars in blue-collar Queens always like a bit of audience participation with their tennis, occasionally hooting and hollering and whistling at the players, and it can become rowdy during the night sessions as the spectators' inhibitions are removed by the darkness and the effects of too many paper cups of beer. Murray will love that. The Centre Court crowd during his third-round defeat at Wimbledon this year, when he was the last remaining Briton in the draw, were strangely quiet at times.

Another aspect Murray will appreciate about New York is that, unlike at the All England Club during Wimbledon, he will not have to adhere to the white clothing rule that he found so restrictive. He said after his defeat at Wimbledon that he wanted to show teenagers that tennis "is not a boring sport", that you can scream, shout, pump your fist and wear colourful outfits. "Teenagers like colours - it's what we are about," declared Murray, who says he even admires the "flaming red and yellow logos" of the US Open.

Just as Murray has taken an interest in all things American, so the sport's power-brokers and Stateside commentators have started to notice him. Indeed, some have already bracketed him alongside other teenagers such as the French Open champion, Rafael Nadal, and the talented Frenchmen Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils.

The Americans probably think that he has been so very un-English with his demonstrative behaviour on court. And they would be right. As Murray has already pointed out, in quite forceful terms, to a few confused American journalists: "No, I'm Scottish."

The interest in America is understandable, if mildly surprising in a country that can be a little insular, even with a sport as global as tennis. Murray has won two Challenger titles during his summer in America, and won a match at each of the three main Tour events for which he has been given a wild card. Last week he took a set off Marat Safin, the Australian Open champion, and is now threatening to break into the top 100 for the first time. No wonder his mother, Judy, says he is starting to receive lacy underwear, among other presents, in his fan mail.

Greg Rusedski, another Briton who has had a successful summer on the American hard courts, has been impressed with Murray's attitude. "Andy doesn't go out there scared, he goes out there to win every time and believes that he can beat whoever he's playing. That is what you need. That's what makes the differences between someone who does OK and someone who does well. That is what sets him apart from the other young British players," Rusedski said.

Murray has also been greatly helped by his new coach, Mark Petchey. The pair are on the road together for the first time during this long trip to the States. They have bonded away from the court over backgammon and video games in amusement arcades, with the coach apparently winning the former and the player the latter. Murray's relationship with his previous coach, the elderly Colombian Pato Alvarez, partly broke down because the teenager would become so bored during their weeks on the Tour. However, he enjoys the company of Petchey, who is in his mid-30s. The youth appeal clearly helps.

Perhaps Murray is just being a normal teenager in preferring Flushing Meadows to Wimbledon, the most traditional of the four grand slam events. He will be determined to qualify for the main draw at the US Open, the rock 'n' roll tournament where he really covets success.
fivesetthriller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #26
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

love it!!

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #27

I love it too. And the lacy underwear is hilarous.

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #28
country flag Douggie Style

Douggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond reputeDouggie Style has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from The Times
September 22, 2005

Hold back Murray for best chance in mission impossible
By Boris Becker
THERE are so many elements that combine to make the Davis Cup one of the greatest of team competitions in sport, not least that tennis players, by and large, aren’t brought up to be team players. The lucky ones get to enjoy the sensation four times a year, because they are the two world group finalists. Great Britain and Switzerland — not to mention Germany — are a long way from that situation this week. Getting back into the world group is each nation’s priority (Germany are in the Czech Republic, a daunting task) and that means, for Britain, finding a way to beat Roger Federer, which means trying to keep him out on court for as long as possible. Which brings us to the dilemma facing Jeremy Bates.

A captain has one thing to do: select a side that can win him three points. Federer gives the tie a whole different dimension because, in normal considerations, he will be on the winning end of his three matches, two singles and the doubles. Bates, the captain, has to settle on a way to try to stop him, which brings the conversation around, inevitably, to Andy Murray.

But first, it is important to appreciate that Stanislas Wawrinka, the Switzerland No 2, is not a mug and to win both matches against him is by no means a given. But that has to be the expectation for Britain. The question is: does Murray play on the first day against Federer? There are good reasons to say that he should — better ones to believe he should be held back.

That bit is easy to say. I never wanted to miss a match, I would have kicked and screamed if I didn’t play but we had a captain in Nikki Pilic, who is in charge of Croatia in the semi-finals this week, who you did not mess around with. Of course, he would talk to me, as a good captain should, but he was also powerful and strong in his mind. He would do what was best for the team — that is the captain’s job. The players have to respect that.

My situation for Germany in the 1980s was much like Federer’s for Switzerland now. I was expected to win. The other players in the squad didn’t mind my position, they knew it came with some special privileges but so long as I came along on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and won, everything was fine.

But believe me, I don’t care how good you are, winning three best-of-five matches in successive days on a clay court is as tough as it gets in tennis. Even what seems like a routine 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 can be 2˝ hours on court, then there is the doubles and, although the points are quicker, if the tie is still alive, the No 1 player plays the first match on Sunday. He will be tired, it’s only natural. I wonder whether clay was the best surface for the Swiss to choose, because on hard or grass, or indoors, no one could beat him.

So to Murray. Of course he wants to play against Federer, he will give it all he has, but surely he will lose and what has the team gained? If he is fresh for the doubles and he wins that match — as he has done in the Davis Cup before — then the tie remains alive. If Greg Rusedski has beaten Wawrinka on the first day, it is very much alive.

I have read some ill- conceived pieces about Murray’s fitness. Yes, he has had a struggle, but the pressure on the boy is immense. I am delighted to see he is teaming up with Frank Dick, the former director of coaching for UK Athletics, who came into my life a couple of years after I won my first Wimbledon. Bob Brett, my coach at the time, thought I needed someone like him to work on what were considered weaknesses in the physical side of my development.

Frank is a man of incredible detail, who put together a programme tailored to my needs. I didn’t see him every week but when I did, he was one tough SOB! I hope Andy likes hard work. It helped me, too, that Frank had Daley Thompson under his wing at that time and we trained together, Frank on one side, Daley on the other and poor me in the middle. A lot of it was frightening but it was a great opportunity for me and it will be for Murray, so long as he takes it in the right way and realises Frank is the best in his business.
Douggie Style is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #29
country flag Raquel

Raquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond repute

What Rafa thinks about Andy. I always knew Rafa was a smart guy

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...al_151133.html

NADAL TIPS MURRAY FOR GREAT THINGS

Spanish star Rafael Nadal is confident that Britain's big hope Andrew Murray has the ability to win Wimbledon one day.

Nadal is already a strong force in the game and established himself as number two in the world with victory in the China Open - his 10th tournament win of the year, which is the same number as Roger Federer, the world number one.

Victory in the French Open has already made Nadal a Grand Slam tournament winner.

Murray, who is one year his junior at 18, still has a long way to go to reach the top although the Scot has now earned a place in the top 100.

"He (Murray) is a very good player. At the moment he is very young but I have known him for five years and know that he has very good potential, he can achieve anything that he wants in his career," said Nadal at a publicity launch for Nike Pro, a new undergarment designed to keep players dry from sweat.

Nadal himself admitted that winning on the grass court of Wimbledon has been one of his own ambitions since childhood.

"My dream has always been to win a Grand Slam, and that (Wimbledon) would be the biggest," said Nadal.

"When I was growing up I always wanted to do that ahead of anything else, like the Davis Cup, and I suppose the best one to win is Wimbledon," he said.

"It is not easy for Spanish players to play on the quicker courts like at Wimbledon rather than the clay but that has been my goal. I prefer to play in hot conditions on the clay courts."

Nadal's rise to being one of the top sportsmen in Spain has been remarkably relaxed and he appears unfazed by the media spotlight.

"I wouldn't say that my life has changed in the last year with the success that I have had. I like to do the same things like playing golf and fishing.

"I feel okay, I am used to playing and travelling from one place to another so it does not bother me," he said.

"Last year some things were new to me and now I have more to do now but other than that my life hasn't changed that much. My aim is to continue playing the way that I am doing.

"The pressure is the same and it does not bother me but it will be difficult to repeat what I have done this year. There are improvements which I have to make to my game in tournaments and I also have to do better on faster courts."

Nadal, Arsenal footballer Thierry Henry, Welsh rugby union favourite Gavin Henson and NBA basketball star Dirk Nowitzki all feature in a commercial for the new Nike garment called "Secret Weapon" which gets its first UK screening on October 2.
C'mon Lleyton!
HoPp FuNkY Flo!
Raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #30

thanks for all the articles