Andy, Articles and news - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #271
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy, Articles and news

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis/And...son.5771371.jp

Andy Murray and Laura Robson to join forces

Published Date: 28 October 2009
By Eve Fodens

ANDY Murray and Laura Robson will team up for Great Britain at the Hopman Cup in January.

World No4 Murray and 2008 Wimbledon girls champion Robson will compete as a mixed doubles team for the first time, while the format of the tournament means they will each also play singles matches.

The tournament is staged in Perth, Australia, from 2-9 January, and Murray's involvement points to a change in his preparations for the Australian Open, which begins on 18 January in Melbourne.

He has for the past three years started the season by competing in Doha, where this year he beat Roger Federer and Andy Roddick on the way to successfully defending his title.

Hopman Cup director Paul McNamee said: "It's the first time he's chosen to prepare for the Australian Open in Australia so that's a big statement by Andy.

"He's never done well at the Australian Open. He indicated through his management he wanted to do something different this year. They noticed (Novak] Djokovic (in 2008] and (Marat] Safin (in 2005] used the Perth route to win the Australian Open so they are giving it a shot. Andy wants to break through for his first grand slam."

The prospect of Murray and Robson pairing up in mixed doubles is an intriguing one but how the pair perform in their singles matches when they represent Britain at the Perth team tournament in January could provide the greater interest.

Aside from an appearance in Britain's Davis Cup defeat by Poland, in which he won both his singles matches despite carrying – and aggravating – a wrist injury, Murray has not played competitively since the US Open last month.

He is due to return to action next week at the Valencia Open, and the break could prove a blessing in disguise for the Scot.

The chance to recover peak physical fitness has come at a time when many of the top men's players are flagging, amid concerns about the packed ATP schedule.

Murray should be in good shape for next month's end-of- season World Tour Finals at London's O2 Arena, and will head to Australia with every reason to be confident about landing his first grand slam – providing he prepares well in December.

Robson went agonisingly close to navigating a path through the qualifying stages for the US Open, winning two matches before losing in the final round on a deciding-set tie-break. She turns 16 on 21 January, and will be hoping 2010 is the year when she begins to make an impact at senior level.

The left-hander was born in Melbourne, host city for the Australian Open, and reached the girls' final this year.

In Perth she may be handed a chance to faces the likes of Russia's Olympic champion singles player Elena Dementieva, or Melanie Oudin, the American who impressed greatly at the US Open and Wimbledon this year. Oudin is Robson's senior by two full years, but was thrashed by the Briton in the junior tournament at Wimbledon 2008.

She has since shown what it takes to make the transition, and Robson will look to follow her example.

Murray believes he and Robson can form a strong team. He said: "I'm hoping it will be good preparation for the Australian Open. Laura is a great talent and it will be good to link up together playing for our country."
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #272
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...-Stepanek.html

Andy Murray crashes out of Paris Masters after defeat by Radek Stepanek

A tired Andy Murray loses early-evening, third-round contest with Czech Radek Stepanek 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.

By Mark Hodgkinson in Paris
Published: 9:25PM GMT 12 Nov 2009

Lights out: a punishing schedule finally caught up with a tired-looking Andy Murray in the Paris Masters
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Irregular sleep is one of the difficulties that comes with playing indoor tournaments, and Andy Murray, who did not get into his hotel bed until 4am on Thursday after his opening match at the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, was back on court some 14 hours later, as he lost an early-evening, third-round contest with Czech Radek Stepanek in three sets.

Murray's strange working hours contributed to a strange match on a strange arena, a small space which is usually used as an ice-rink, as he had dominated the opening set to win it in 22 minutes.

But Murray was not about to smash his rackets against the nearest wall after this 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 defeat, given the hours he has been keeping, and the fact that it was only last week that he returned from a two-month break from the tour, while he rested a problem with his left wrist.

Since coming back, Murray has won a title in Valencia, and six of his seven matches. Murray's aim in Valencia and Paris was always to give himself the best possible preparation for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, and he feels as though he has done that. Now he has a few extra days to prime himself before the lucrative, end-of-year tournament begins a week on Sunday at the O2 Arena.

Murray's penultimate tournament of the year has been eventful, with his opening match at this Masters event, a second-round victory over James Blake, not finishing until 1.45am.

That had been on Court Central, but yesterday he was on Court One, which has temporary seating for only around 1000 spectators. On the adapted ice-rink, you don't get the lights and music show that you get on Court Central when the players walk out, and it feels as though you are at a completely different tournament.

In the opening set, everything had seemed fairly straightforward for Murray. The only time Murray was truly inconvenienced by Stepanek in that first set was when the Czech hit a forehand that was travelling towards his head at speed, and he had to move quickly to get out of the way.

Soon Murray was a set up. The match was following a similar pattern to his three previous meetings with Stepanek, all of which he had won in straight sets.

And yet the match quickly turned. In his first service game of the second set, Murray was 40-15 up, but he appeared to be disturbed by a spectator, and he was broken.

Suddenly, Stepanek raised his level, on one occasion smiling at Murray after hitting a winner past him. That break was all Stepanek needed to level the match at a set apiece.

"Pathetic, minging serve," Murray muttered to himself during the opening game of the decider, on the way to being broken. Stepanek went on to beat Murray for the first time.

"I obviously didn't play my best, but I wasn't expecting to," Murray said after what was also his first indoor defeat of the season.

Now for the most important indoor tournament of the year, in London. Though Nikolay Davydenko lost his third-round match to Sweden's Robin Soderling on Thursday, other results meant that the Russian became the seventh player to qualify for London, leaving just one place to be filled.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #273
country flag GrosjeanFan1994

GrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeanFan1994 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Andy fans
I heard the other day that Andy was meant to be on the ITV show "Loose Women" one day this week.
Does anybody know if I've missed him?
Best of luck to Andy for the rest of the season!

Arnaud CLEMENT, Andy MURRAY, Robin SÖDERLING

Mansour BAHRAMI & Henri LECONTE

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63620249828
GrosjeanFan1994 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #274
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

What's this TV show about?
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #275
country flag Jess22

Jess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosjeanFan1994 View Post
Hello Andy fans
I heard the other day that Andy was meant to be on the ITV show "Loose Women" one day this week.
Does anybody know if I've missed him?
Best of luck to Andy for the rest of the season!

Nope it's on Tomorrow 12.30pm Yea the show is just basically a chat show with a group of women where they talk about issues in the news and their personal lifes basically gossiping, sometimes have guests on, it's not something I would of thought Andy would go on but yea it might be worth a watch
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #276
country flag MurrayFan1

MurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond reputeMurrayFan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess22 View Post
Nope it's on Tomorrow 12.30pm Yea the show is just basically a chat show with a group of women where they talk about issues in the news and their personal lifes basically gossiping, sometimes have guests on, it's not something I would of thought Andy would go on but yea it might be worth a watch
Hahahahahahahaha,funniest thing I have ever read on here!

It is basically a show about middle aged women talking about GIRL F'N POWER LOLZ

READING FC

MurrayFan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #277
country flag Getta

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...k-1824831.html

Quote:
Murray: 'I can beat Federer twice in a week'

Andy Murray's confidence is sky high after his best ever season – and he insists he's not daunted by fierce competition in the week ahead at the O2 Arena.

By Paul Newman

Saturday, 21 November 2009

Andy Murray has tried to play down pressure on him to perform well at the ATP World Tour Finals
GETTY IMAGES

According to Phil Anderton, chairman of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, ticket sales for next week's event at the O2 Arena make it "the equivalent of 15 sold-out Led Zeppelin concerts".

No pressure there, then, as Andy Murray attempts to round off the best year of his career with victory in front of a home crowd at the season-ending championships, which are being staged in London for the first time. More than 250,000 tickets have been sold for the event, which starts tomorrow, making it the best supported indoor tournament in the history of tennis and the biggest ever staged in Britain other than at Wimbledon.

The elite eight-man field, which is split into two round-robin groups before the semi-finals and final, features all the biggest names – with the exception of Andy Roddick, who is injured – but Murray will know that much of the British public's interest is down to him. A quarter of the tickets have been sold in Scotland and the north of England.

"The atmosphere will be great in there and hopefully the support will make a difference to the way I play," the 22-year-old Scot said at yesterday's official launch. "Indoors is always where you get the best atmosphere. It just feels different – and obviously at the O2 they're used to putting on concerts and big events.

"I see this event as just behind the Grand Slams. You have to win four or five matches against the top players in the world. You might even have to beat the No 1 or the No 2 in the world twice to win the tournament. It's not quite the same as a Grand Slam, but it's still a huge, huge tournament.

"I'm sure all the players are proud of qualifying. It's a big thing for everyone. If you look at the guys who have won the competition it's pretty much the greatest players ever who have won it, so it's obviously great to be a part of it. But you need not to think about that when you go on the court and just try to win your matches."

The tournament has operated under various guises since it was first launched as the Masters by Jack Kramer in 1970. Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl head the list of winners, having won the title five times each, with Roger Federer and Ilie Nastase one behind. Murray is aiming to become only the third winner without a Grand Slam title to his name, after David Nalbandian and Alex Corretja.

The prize money and ranking points indicate the event's importance. There is $120,000 (£72,000) on offer just for taking part and the same for each win in the round-robin phase. An undefeated champion would take home $1.63m (nearly £1m), which is the biggest prize in tennis.

With 1500 ranking points going to an undefeated winner, the tournament could have a major effect on the year-end rankings. Murray is in danger of losing his No 4 position to Juan Martin del Potro, who has been closing on the Scot since the summer, while Rafael Nadal could overtake Federer as No 1. The Spaniard, nevertheless, has admitted that his country's Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic in Barcelona next month is a bigger priority.

The tournament has a tradition for pampering the players, who are staying at a swish hotel opposite the Houses of Parliament, and will travel to the arena by riverboat. They all appeared yesterday in suits made especially for the tournament, while the gifts they were given included Fossil watches, headphones and sunglasses.

With such an elite field and limited practice facilities, the players spend more time in each other's company than at most events. Murray, who trained at Queen's Club earlier in the week, practised with Novak Djokovic yesterday.

This is Murray's second appearance in the end-of-season showpiece. He reached the semi-finals last year before losing to Nikolay Davydenko, his chances of further progress damaged by the effort he had put into beating Federer in a three-hour epic the previous night. Murray did not need to beat Federer, having already qualified from the round-robin group, but could not resist the opportunity to strike a psychological blow against the Swiss, who went out of the tournament as a result.

Murray said he would adopt the same approach if a similar situation arose next week. "A lot of people said I focused too much on results and winning all the time, but obviously winning against Federer in one of the year's biggest competitions is one of the best wins of the year for me," he said.

"Unfortunately it didn't go well for me the next day, but I've won six and lost three against Federer and I can take that with me for my career. It's not always just about winning tournaments. It's sometimes nice to beat the big players in epic matches. Unfortunately that takes a little bit out of you sometimes."

How did Murray feel about the fact that in order to win the title he might have to beat Federer twice, having been drawn in a group with the world No 1, Juan Martin del Potro and Fernando Verdasco?

"I've won against him before so I obviously think I can do it again," Murray said. "It's a great challenge every time you play against him."

Murray plays his opening match tomorrow against Del Potro. The Argentine, who yesterday committed to play in the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club for the next three years, won the US Open two months ago but Murray and Federer will be fancied to progress to the semi-finals.

Djokovic, the world No 3 and the game's most successful player in recent weeks, and Nadal will be favourites to head the other group, though Davydenko, winner last month of the Shanghai Masters, and Robin Soderling, who plays particularly well indoors, could both spring surprises.

Murray, having only just returned to competition after a six-week break with an injury to his left wrist, said he would not go into the tournament with high expectations. "I'm not putting too much pressure on myself," he said. "I'm not expecting to go out there and play great, though I might go out and do well because of that.

Whatever the outcome, Murray is proud of his achievements during a year in which he has won six titles and reached – albeit briefly – No 2 in the world rankings. "It's been my best year on tour without question," he said.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #278
country flag Getta

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6926820.ece

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
November 22, 2009

Andy Murray is a fighter

The British No 1 fears nobody and is confident he will win a Grand Slam but, he tells Hugh McIlvanney, he would rather discuss boxing

A majority still believe it’s merely a matter of when, but others insist that the troublesome if must be edging further into the reckoning. Confidence in Andy Murray’s ability to win a Grand Slam tournament is bound to be infected by a trace of anxiety, given the mountainous legacy of frustration that came with his precocious accession to the standard-bearing role in British tennis. And, while there’s no realistic basis for nervously reining in optimism about the future of a player who won’t be 23 until next May, it is equally true that neither age nor lack of experience can any longer figure prominently in explanations of the absence of a major title from his otherwise impressive record.

Even extreme youth is never a barrier to the assertion of exceptional talent in tennis, as the teenage feats of Boris Becker and Rafael Nadal amply illustrate. The clearest proof of the prevalence of early impact is provided by a check on how many, or rather how few, times some famous players participated in the four principal championships before winning one of them.

Becker was successful at his fourth attempt, Nadal at his sixth and Pete Sampras at his eighth. Those numbers may suggest that Roger Federer was a little sluggish in having to wait until he was in his 17th Grand Slam event for his breakthrough victory as a 21-year-old at Wimbledon in 2003 but, having hit his history-making stride, he went on to win 11 of the next 17 majors he played on the way to his current aggregate of 15.

As it happens, Murray is due to make the equivalent 17th appearance at the Australian Open in January and we can be sure Federer’s unrivalled statistics won’t be on his mind. Nor will he be dwelling on the daunting achievements of Nadal, who is not quite a year older than the Scot but has six Grand Slam triumphs to his name. As Murray continues his quest for a first, the comparisons most aggressively thrust at him are likely to be with Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro.

Djokovic is exactly a week younger than Murray but joined the elite of Grand Slam winners at his 13th attempt in the Australian Open of 2008, while the 6ft 6in Del Potro wasn’t quite 21 when he sensationally declared himself the new threat in men’s tennis two months ago by twice coming from behind to overpower Roger Federer in the final of the US Open with steep and violent serves and bludgeoning forehands from the baseline. The Argentinian’s sudden rise to star status (as recently as Wimbledon 2008 he was at 65 in the world rankings) is seen by some as creating yet another formidable obstacle to Murray’s Grand Slam ambitions. But the man himself is convincingly unfazed. When we met recently at the LTA National Tennis Centre in southwest London the impression he conveyed was of a self-belief not only genuine and deep but reinforced by a rational assessment of the strengths in his game that he trusts to realise his aspirations. “I would stop playing if I didn’t think I could win a Slam,” he said. “I don’t feel there’s anybody in the world I can’t win against. This is a tough era, with probably the two best players of all time playing now [Federer and Nadal], and guys behind them who are very good if not great players. But I have no reason to be downbeat. I haven’t taken a step backwards this year. My consistency has been better and I’ve won a lot more matches than in any other year. If I don’t win a Grand Slam tournament I’ll be disappointed but I’m doing everything I can to make it happen. It’s not something you just expect to come. You work hard and when you do get your opportunity you have to take it.

“I certainly don’t think Del Potro winning the US Open changes anything about my Grand Slam prospects. Andy Roddick won the US Open and got to No 1 at 21 and hasn’t won another Grand Slam since. Some players struggle after a major success, others go on to bigger and better things. Some guys peak early but don’t have as much variety as other players. Del Potro has improved wonderfully this year but that doesn’t necessarily worry me because I still think there are things I can do on the court that other guys can’t. I honestly believe my game matches up perfectly against someone who plays with a lot of power and not a lot of feel.”

He points out, however, that there are occasions when the kind of game an opponent plays will matter less than the fact that he is raising it to an unprecedented level. “I lost two important matches this year that I was probably favoured to win — against Fernando Verdasco in the Australian Open and the Wimbledon semi-final against Roddick. Verdasco said afterwards that was the best tennis of his life and at Wimbledon people were asking if that was the best Roddick had ever played. Sometimes you’ve just got to give credit to your opponent, which is something I don’t think happens often enough. Why should the explanation of a defeat always have to be something else? If somebody who has raw power and is a fierce hitter of the ball produces the best performance of his life, he’s obviously going to be difficult to beat on the day. It’s nothing to do with whether power players pose particular problems for me. I’ve always enjoyed playing against guys like that and it shows up statistically. If you look at my head-to-head figures with Roddick, Verdasco, Del Potro, they’re very good.”

That’s easily confirmed. He has beaten Del Potro in four of their five meetings and the latest victory was gained only a month before the Argentinian swept to glory in New York. Against Roddick, Murray’s wins-to-losses score is 6-3, and that setback in Australia was his sole defeat by Verdasco in eight collisions. But, then, the man from Dunblane has healthy statistics in relation to all the leading players on the circuit except Nadal, the most surprising being his 6-3 advantage in matches with Federer, a pattern of superiority that must, admittedly, be tempered by mention of the Swiss master’s dominance in the one five-setter they have contested, the US Open final of 2008. The figures for the rivalry with Djokovic are 4-3 in the Serb’s favour but the three most recent matches have gone to Murray.

It’s little wonder his right to be called Britain’s best male tennis player since Fred Perry in the 1930s was formally endorsed by his elevation in late summer to brief tenancy of the world No 2 position behind Federer, a higher place than any man from this country has occupied since the present rankings system was established in 1973.

Although Murray has been internationally prominent in his sport since childhood — in 1999 he won the Orange Bowl in Miami, which was seen as an unofficial world championship for under-12s, and as an under-14 competitor he was ranked around 2 or 3 in Europe — he eagerly recognises that the true prodigy of this era is Nadal. In opposition to the Spaniard, he has had only two victories to set against seven losses but has done far better than most contemporaries when facing a phenomenon who burst into the top 100 of men’s tennis as a 16-year-old and by 19 was No 2 to Federer and already looming as the ruling genius’s nemesis (Nadal is 13-7 ahead overall and 6-2 in Grand Slam matches).

If Murray’s admiration for the dazzling trajectory of Nadal’s career is palpably huge, his faith in the slower rhythm of his own progress seems unforced. “You can’t focus on other people’s careers. Everybody is different. I’m sure I’ll be playing my best tennis between 23 and 26. There have been injury problems that set me back a little bit. The bad tendon damage I suffered to my right wrist during a match in Hamburg in 2007 caused me to miss the French Open and Wimbledon that season and meant I wasn’t really ready to play when I turned up at the US Open in the September.”

But that, he emphasises, was the type of mishap that might hit any player at any time and the only serious injury he has endured since arriving on the tour in April 2005. He is resentfully weary of suggestions he is physically fragile, arguing that his soundness record stands scrutiny alongside instances of withdrawal from the action by many of his rivals. “Del Potro had to retire against me and has missed numerous tournaments. Djokovic has pulled out five or six times in Grand Slams.” By contrast, he says, the tournaments he has missed because of injury would make a very short list. We were, in fact, talking near the end of a seven-week period of absence from competition occasioned by an injury to his left wrist but there was a sense of the precautionary in the length of his inactivity, an interpretation supported by smooth success in his first comeback tournament, the Valencia Open, a fortnight ago.

He was capturing his sixth title of the year in ranking events, giving him a better total than Federer, Nadal or anybody else.

Murray’s one permanent physical problem is, apparently, something that affects about seven in every 100 people. He has a bipartite patella in his right leg. That means, according to the explanation he provided in a 2008 autobiography, “the kneecap is not fully formed, with fibres and tissues making a kind of canal down the middle where everyone else has bone”. During the teenage years at a tennis academy in Barcelona that laid the foundation of his career, the knee began to feel as if it were on fire and his trauma was exacerbated by being repeatedly told he should play through “growing pains”.

Coaches, physiotherapists and a succession of doctors reduced him to tearful despair before an accurate diagnosis was made. After months of rest he was restored to competitive fitness, though left aware that his anatomical peculiarity would have to be carefully monitored and managed.

“Having a normal knee would make life a lot easier,” he said with a shrug. “But now I know when I can and can’t play, when I can practise. In training, some exercises may be different from those done by other players. I can’t do squatting properly, can’t get past 90 degrees. So I’ve got to find different exercises to get the benefits I want.”

Looking at him across a table in a pleasant meeting room at the National Tennis Centre, it was easy to believe that work in the gym continues to be more central to his programme than might be the case with other leading figures in his sport. There has been a conspicuous addition of muscle to the tall, willowy frame he first brought to our television screens but the body under the blue Fred Perry top still suggests lean athleticism and flexibility rather than power.

And he confirms that whereas Nadal (who arrived on the tour already “an incredible athlete” and a great player but “isn’t as smooth mechanically as someone like Federer”) probably devotes three or four hours per day to on-court practice because that’s what he has to do, the Murray regime has another set of priorities. “I don’t spend as much time on court but maybe more in the gym, working physically. That’s what I had to do. With ball-striking I’ve always felt comfortable. It comes more naturally for me than for some others.” His gifts of technique, touch and timing are, obviously, conscientiously honed, as are the strategies for applying them with maximum effect.

Ambition and imagination have always been key components of his shot-making and he tries constantly to introduce the unforeseen into his game. “When you have beaten guys a few times, you don’t want them to think they know how you are going to play them. You have to try and find different ways of beating them. You have to do things they don’t expect sometimes, put something unpredictable into your game. Whoever you are facing — whether it’s Del Potro, Djokovic, Federer or Nadal — there are always things in their play you can look to exploit because there are certain things you can do better than they can.”

The confidence being asserted wasn’t obscured by the low-register, almost monotone voice in which it was uttered. He has shown himself capable of loud vehemence on the court but essentially his is that kind of Scottish voice more suited to a growl than a bellow. And even growls may be rare. He isn’t short of strong opinions but in our conversation they were delivered flatly, with a reliance on careful selection of unambiguous words to stress his points. The facial expressions under the plentiful hair were also marked by restraint, not animated variation.

Of course, though he seemed at ease, there’s the possibility he was presenting an interview persona distinct from that familiar to his professional and personal inner circles. He says that, after a number of disillusioning encounters with gross misrepresentation, he has learnt to be wary of the media. These days he is happiest communicating through live radio, where he feels “everybody is relaxed and you can say what you mean to say” and there is less risk of “being different from what you are normally like ... and coming across to people as prickly and defensive”.

His warm respect for Tim Henman (which is readily reciprocated) extends to approval of Henman’s habit in his prime of proffering bland responses to reporters’ questions. “Throughout Tim’s career people said he was boring but he was being sensible. I had to absorb the lesson that talking to guys from the media wasn’t like talking to my friends, that there could be problems with speaking too freely, without holding anything back. It’s so much less hassle to answer things in a straightforward way.”

Anybody who associates his attitude with paranoia is obliged to recall the loony controversy that developed over claims he had made a bitter declaration of anti-Englishness on the eve of the England football team’s group match against Paraguay in the 2006 World Cup finals. The context was a joint interview he did with Henman, who had backed up the interviewer, Des Kelly of the Daily Mail, in teasing Murray about Scotland’s absence from those finals. Then he was asked how a Scot would be spending his time while England were in the thick of the drama in Germany — by reading a book perhaps? “I’ll be supporting whoever England are playing against,” he said, and in the run-up to that summer’s Wimbledon the quote was used as the excuse for a tabloid-led fury of condemnation. It was an example of newspapers carrying mischief to the level of hurtful dishonesty, since only the most twisted reading of the exchanges could have interpreted them as anything other than harmless joshing. MPs and columnists who pitched pompously into the nonsensical row should have become objects of ridicule but the main effect of their posturings was to make Murray a target of sustained venom at Wimbledon.

The accusations of racist prejudice have left him rather poignantly anxious to list the many English intimates he has, from his girlfriend, Kim Sears, to his closest male friend to vital members of his support team in tennis. After the unjustly painful experience of June 2006, expecting him to be relaxed about his dealings with the media may be a tad unrealistic.

He can hardly have anticipated that so much bother would be brought down on his head by football, which was unsurprisingly a regular source of pleasure for him during his upbringing in Dunblane (a place so identifiable as the model of a comfortable small-town environment as to deepen the global shock of the day in March 1996 when the deranged Thomas Hamilton shot and killed 16 five-year-old children, their teacher and himself at Dunblane Primary School, where Murray and his brother were in class but were protected by their teachers from awareness of the horror). His abilities as a football player were notable enough to evoke interest from Rangers and for a time he imagined there might be a serious contest for his commitment between that game and tennis. But it must have been a false dilemma for a boy who gave such early evidence of exceptional skill with a racket, whose mother, Judy, was a tennis coach and whose brother, Jamie, 15 months older, was such a worthy sibling rival that he would go on to be one of the world’s foremost doubles players. Now football isn’t even his favourite spectator sport. It’s the close-quarters conflict, the unforgiving intensity, of boxing that enthrals him to the point where he is a self-confessed geek about the ring.

The Murray parents split up about a dozen years ago but the sons have a good relationship with both the mother and father. Andy lives in Surrey with Kim and there’s a practical reason his most frequent family contact is with Judy. “I see my mum more than anyone else probably because she works in tennis and comes down to London for meetings and various bits and pieces. It’s part of her job as a tennis coach. But I don’t want my family to be involved in my tennis. I want my mum to be my mum, my dad to be my dad. I spend enough time talking about tennis. I don’t need my family doing it too.”

Presumably he won’t mind the nearest and dearest deafening him about tennis if the subject is his lifting of a Grand Slam title.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #279
country flag Getta

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis/Ali...hat.5846693.jp

Quote:
Alix Ramsay: Murray knows what suits him – and it's not posing as a City gent

Published Date: 22 November 2009

AS ANDY Murray, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, Fernando Verdasco and Robin Soderling lined up for yet another photo-shoot, they looked slightly ill at ease.
It was the last, big promotional push before the start of the Barclays ATP World tour finals and the eight men were lined up in front of a bright red, double-decker bus as the photographers snapped away. Some were clearly happier in their Savile Row suits than others but all of them seemed anxious to get the formalities over with and get back to work.

Together, the eight men form a very exclusive boys' club. Membership is strictly limited and must be renewed annually; this is for the very best of the best and proof of eligibility must be provided with results, grand slam trophies and a clearly defined position at the top of the rankings list.

They were even wearing a club tie as they posed – a quiet little green number with a tennis ball embroidered on it. In the middle of the ball was the word "love" with an arrow through it. There will, however, be little love lost between the eight once the tournament begins today. Respect, definitely; admiration and comradeship, yes. But love? No.

There is, potentially, £1 million available to the winner but, more valuable than that, there will be the knowledge that the champion has beaten one of the world's best in every round to claim the trophy. Love does not come into it.

"All of the guys that were there today," Murray explained, "we can all chat with each other, we all get on pretty much well. There's not really too many feuds in the locker room. I don't think there's anyone who's a bad sportsman."

That all sounded well and good but then someone dared to mention that Federer, he of the 3-6 losing record against the Scot, had claimed that he had worked out how to beat the world No.4. Did he understand or agree with Federer's argument?

"No," Murray said simply but clearly. "We'll have to see when we play against each other. Every time I've played against him, each of us has done something different and, this year, I've got the better of most of the matches we've played. If we play, maybe I'll do something different that he doesn't expect."

Murray will have to play Federer on either Tuesday or Thursday in the round robin stage of the competition and will then, in all likelihood, have to play him again if he is to win the trophy. But, first of all, Murray must play Del Potro, the 21-year-old US Open champion, today in the opening singles match.

As last year's finalist and as the No.2 seed, Murray seemed to be well placed to win his first grand slam title at the US Open this year. But then a combination of a wrist injury and Marin Cilic got the better of him in the fourth round, Del Potro went on to beat Federer in the final and suddenly the vultures started circling over Murray's reputation. Was the Scot really as good as he said? Was he not being overtaken by the younger men? "I think I'll win one (a grand slam]," Murray said. "Maybe more than one. And we've just got to wait and see. It's like, 'he's 22-years-old, oh, let's start panicking. It's not going to happen'. Everyone's saying, 'oh, Del Potro won a grand slam so early in his career'. He's one year younger than me. But everyone's saying I'm old. I was very, very close at Wimbledon this year to getting to my first Wimbledon final and then you never know what might have happened."

What Murray is not so keen on is the tournament calendar. The London event is the last on Murray's schedule before the winter break. But he will allow himself only a week at home before heading to Miami on 6 December for his off-season training block.

From there, it is straight on to Australia and the start of the new season. But Murray's sympathies are reserved for Nadal and Fernando Verdasco who both have the Davis Cup final to face once they are done at the O2 arena.

"I feel worse for someone like Rafa or Verdasco," Murray said. "They've got to play the Davis Cup and finish on the 6th. Speaking to him before, Rafa was like, 'yeah, I finish on the 6th and start practising on the 8th'. That's not right in any sport."

It was fighting talk from Scotland's finest. He may not be at his happiest when posing for the photographers and doing his bit for the publicity men, but he does know how to win tennis matches. And once the suits, ties and smiles have been discarded this afternoon, it will be every man for himself.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #280
country flag WhataQT

WhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond reputeWhataQT has a reputation beyond repute

No love match: Andy Murray splits with girlfriend who followed him on tennis tours around the world

By Malcolm Folley

Last updated at 8:58 AM on 29th November 2009

Comments (73) Add to My Stories Tennis star Andy Murray has ended his four-year relationship with student Kim Sears.

Kim, 21, has moved out of the £5million mansion they shared in Surrey and returned home to her parents.

Her face became familiar to millions of tennis fans worldwide, especially at Wimbledon, where TV cameras picked up the emotion written on her face as she cheered him from the stands.

Love lost: Friends suggest cracks began to show about the time that Kim accompanied Andy to the US Open Championships in New York in September

A friend said: ‘No one else is involved. Both Andy and Kim are saddened that the relationship is over, but they mutually felt it was time for them to part.

'They are both very young, and it is not unusual for young people to split up.’

Friends suggest cracks began to show about the time that Kim accompanied Murray to the US Open Championships in New York in September.

Murray’s friend said of their subsequent split: ‘There were no blazing rows, or anything like that. Kim left Andy’s house under amicable circumstances. They are still in contact with one another and remain good friends.

Missing: While Murray's mother Judy watched him play in London last week, Kim was absent

‘After all, Kim has been an extremely important part of Andy’s life, and they always spent as much time together as they could.’

Last week Murray, a 22-year-old multi-millionaire ranked No.4 in the world, played his first major tournament – the ATP World Tour Finals at the O2 Arena in London – without Kim present to support him.

Murray, who shared top billing with world No.1 Roger Federer, was watched by his mother, Judy, and ‘Team Murray’ – his coaches, trainers and physiotherapist. But Kim was at her parents’ home in West Sussex.

Murray was surprisingly eliminated in the round-robin stage – and yesterday he was unwilling to comment on the sadness in his private life. ‘Both Andy and Kim are very private people,’ said his friend.

Yet only this summer Murray emphasised that he placed family and friends above his career. Having seen his own parents, Judy and Will, divorce when he was a teenager, Murray stressed: ‘I work better in a relationship.

‘At the end of the day, especially if I’ve lost a match, I don’t like talking about tennis, so it’s nice to have someone to talk to about other stuff.

‘As I have got older, having gone through my parents’ divorce, it has become important to me to work hard at having a successful relationship. I found the divorce difficult.

'Tennis is important to me, but it’s not the most important thing. My family and friends are more important. The job obviously matters, but what goes on off the court is bigger.’

Eliminated: Andy Murray crashed out of the ATP World Tour Finals this week without Kim there to support him

Kim, who is studying English at Brighton University, was Murray’s first serious girlfriend.

Her father Nigel is head of women’s tennis in Britain and has been involved in the game all his life, so Kim appreciated the demands the profession placed on Murray.

Unlike other WAGs, she refused to become famous for simply being the girlfriend of a sports star.

‘It’s not about me, it’s about Andy,’ she said, whenever asked to discuss their relationship. She happily melted into the shadows – something Murray liked.

Yet Kim was credited with having played a significant role in improving Murray’s image and appearance over the past 18 months.

She encouraged him to abandon his shaggy-dog look in favour of a sharp, modern haircut.

She willingly did Murray’s laundry, and when he chose to move from his penthouse in Wandsworth to his Surrey mansion in the week before Wimbledon, she loyally helped transport his belongings so his preparation was not disturbed.

During Wimbledon, where Murray reached the semi-finals before losing to American Andy Roddick, she shared his new house with him and his mother.

‘Kim has been a great support,’ said Judy. ‘She even helped with his laundry. The best thing she did was cut his hair – he needed it.’

Murray, winner of six tournaments this year, is widely predicted to become the first British man to win a Grand Slam championship since Fred Perry over 70 years ago.

In the next week, he will fly to Miami to train for the Australian Open in mid-January. He is not returning home for Christmas, opting to travel straight to Perth to take part in an exhibition tournament in the New Year.

Yesterday Kim’s mother confirmed that her daughter had split from Murray.

Asked if it was true, Leonore Sears said at the family home in Barcombe, near Lewes, West Sussex: ‘Yes, but I am not going to comment on it.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...urs-world.html
WhataQT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #281
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #282
country flag Jess22

Jess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond reputeJess22 has a reputation beyond repute

Aww
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #283
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Kim is a very lovely girl and added a touch of class to Andy. They're both young, and probably are finding that their goals and expectations of life are starting to diverge. I hope they're both alright - break-ups can be hard.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #284
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...addiction.html

Quote:
sources close to Sears said one of the causes was the world number four’s long hours playing video tennis and PlayStation 3 games such as the best selling Call of Duty sequel.

Brad Gilbert, Murray’s former coach, has said in the past that Murray spends “seven hours a day” playing video games.

The source told The Sun: “He would spend all his time glued to them. In the end she just got fed up with it. She wanted more out of the relationship.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #285
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

so what? male, young, likes to play, what else do you need?
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote