London Calling - Grass May Be For Cows But Nico Will Play Wimbledon! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default London Calling - Grass May Be For Cows But Nico Will Play Wimbledon!

Nico will definitely play Wimbledon.

He is going to get some tests done on his ankle (if he hasn't already yesterday when he returned home to Chile), and then head to Buenos Aires to practice on the grass for two weeks.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Calling - Grass May Be For Cows But Nico Will Play Wimbledon!

Vamos Nico, you need to win some matchs here

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Calling - Grass May Be For Cows But Nico Will Play Wimbledon!

I am very much hoping that Nico may play in the Stoke Park exhibition event in England just before Wimbledon - like he did last year. If he is serious about Wimbledon he needs some grass court practice here in England, where the temperatures, air quality, atmosphere, type of grass etc will be very different from the courts in Chile. He isn't on the schedule, but Stoke Park is my local club and I know they're desparately looking for another player now that Mardy Fish has dropped out through injury. David is playing here (would he DARE miss an event in my local club ), and also Marat, Andy Roddick, Greg Rusedski and Joachim Johansson so it's a good field. I'll keep you posted if I here anything.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosie - definitely let us know.

Although from what he has said, it sounds as if he's going to go to Buenos Aires for these next two weeks and practice on grass with the guys there who are skipping the pre-Wimbledon tournaments.

But you never know.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
country flag NicoFan

I'm speculating here, but if Nico spent the day with Larri, and didn't make an immediate decision, maybe it meant that he didn't feel really comfortable?

Anyway - I think that its good that he's taking his time making a decision.

From latercera.cl:

The Brazilian coach Larri Passos, affirmed today that maintains the interest by being the new coach of Nicolas Massú, but to these moments the negotiations continue stagnant.

"There is a lot of noise and few nuts and I know that the mother of Nicolas wanted to speak with me in depth. And Nico spent a day by my side and greeted me, but do not there was more", declared the former coach of Kuerten in Paris.

The Brazilian took advantage of the occasion to indicate that "search to a young tennis player and with enthusiasm", profiles that characterize al vińamarino, not ruling out al young British Andrew Murray who would also be seeking the services of Passos.

Massú in the meantime, to his arrival to Santiago in the day of yesterday he declared that he is in a situation where he has to think a lot. "I have to take a good election to last a good weather with whom me decide" specified.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree that it is good to take your time over a decision as important as this. Many people think a coach is just someone who travels with you to book the practice courts etc - but in reality they are much more than that. A good coach is more of a Father figure/best friend/mentor all rolled into one - certainly more than just a business associate. They share your good times and your bad times , and are probably with the player on Tour more than his family or his partner - so having a good relationship is very important. The dynamics between player and coach are very delicate, not to be under-estimated and extremely important to the players' happiness and success. If Nico is not sure - he should step back, take his time, - and wait until he is sure.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 06-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Yes I agree that it is good to take your time over a decision as important as this. Many people think a coach is just someone who travels with you to book the practice courts etc - but in reality they are much more than that. A good coach is more of a Father figure/best friend/mentor all rolled into one - certainly more than just a business associate. They share your good times and your bad times , and are probably with the player on Tour more than his family or his partner - so having a good relationship is very important. The dynamics between player and coach are very delicate, not to be under-estimated and extremely important to the players' happiness and success. If Nico is not sure - he should step back, take his time, - and wait until he is sure.
Definitely...great points.

And for Nico, I think the father figure is important.

Although as I type that, I think Nico has matured a lot this past year. His dad said recently that Nico used to come to him for advice...and now he's making decisions on his own.

I kind of feel like a proud mom...my boy is growing up....lol!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
country flag NicoFan

Okay feeling sad cuz Rafa is losing and nervous so had to do something else.

Found this in lun. Wish I knew who the other 3 possibilities were.

Manuel Massu, the father of the tennis player Nicolas Massú clarified yesterday that the option that the Brazilian one Larry Passos direct coaching his son “only is one of four possibilities that we are studying”. Dad Massú explained that “never we had in mind to Passos and only he arose in our options when he showed interest in working with Nicolas. Nevertheless, only it is an option and we have not spoken. Was Passos who approached my wife for, al to seem, tantear the land”.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Sorry Nico - but I'm feeling happy because Mariano is winning though I'm not sure he can keep this level up. And I know what you mean about being a "proud Mom" to Nico - I feel a bit the same with David And thinking more on the coaching thing - I know that when David's Father died last year, it was Eduardo (David's coach) that helped him through everything and has became a very important figure in his life both professionally and personally, so I guess a lot of my points if reference come from that.

Ah well - back to the TV - Vamos Mariano - sorry!!

Old 06-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Well Markus is definately a good coach - but my understanding of his situation was that he didn't want to take on full-time coaching responsibilities again for a while since becoming a Father at the end of last year. Still - I guess a guy can change his mind!!!!

Old 06-05-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
Yes I had read that too. He wants to stay close to home. And he is a very good coach but I think Nico can be hard headed and frustrating to work with at times. Just from stuff I have read in the media. But then again can you always trust the media to write the whole story? Most likely not Just hope he finds the right person this time for this stage of his career and life.
From my experience ALL professional players can be a bit like that at times!!!!! They have to be very focused (and perhaps somewhat selfish ) to achieve anything in such a hard business. I couldn't coach any of them - I would want to strangle them within 2 hours!!!!!!! And remember Markus has worked with David and Coria - he must be a very patient man!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60
Very true! And I would expect the frustration level can be intense sometimes! You have to be a perfectionist if you want to rise to the top of any sport. What I found upsetting though is the media in Chile writing about this as if it was something strange from him. How could they have forgotten Rios so soon Anyway coaches are saints in my book
And in mine Well - maybe apart from Brad Gilbert.............but there always has to be an exception to prove the rule!

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
country flag NicoFan

Coaches have to put up with a lot. I think most of the players are rough to deal with - they have so much pressure on them to win, so many expectations from family, friends, country, media, and then of course, all the money involved.

The Chilean press does annoy me - I think they're hard on Nico. But compared to NY sports writers, they are tame so it could be worse.

Just hope he can find a coach who is patient and a father figure and friend...tall order but I know there is someone out there that can help Nico with both the technical aspects of the game but also with the mental aspect.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #14
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Just hope he can find a coach who is patient and a father figure and friend...tall order but I know there is someone out there that can help Nico with both the technical aspects of the game but also with the mental aspect.
I hope the same but seems like the coachs lose the patience rapidly with Nico

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
I hope the same but seems like the coachs lose the patience rapidly with Nico
Oh Fergie, you're hard on our boy too...lol!

He's an Yeah right...

I know he's difficult, but tough...coaches are just going to have to deal with it...