Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonball Pusher View Post

Not that I've seen this series, so I can't speak for it directly. But people who have fanatical faith in current scientific theories are just as bad. Scientists once thought that the earth was flat, too.
It was a long time ago, no one had the current technology.

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

'The future is just a fucking concept that we use to avoid being alive today.'

'You only get one life. There's no God, no rules, except for those you accept or create for yourself. Then once it's over... it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here?'
Joey Tribbiani is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Edit: By the way, many of the world's leading scientists were religious.
And many still are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
It was a long time ago, no one had the current technology.
Yes, and just 50 years down the line, people would say the same things about now.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
And many still are.

Yes, and just 50 years down the line, people would say the same things about now.
I know.

But can you debate that the hearth is flat?
You can debate about the Big Bang Theory, about the fact that the Sun will explode 4/5 billions years from now.

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

'You only get one life. There's no God, no rules, except for those you accept or create for yourself. Then once it's over... it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here?'
Old 04-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

I think cosmologist are the most delusional people on earth. It's so speculative. Every week they are "surprised" by an observation and have to "go back to the drawing board", but they never consider that any of their underlying assumptions could be false. They just fudge the math to make it fit with reality. Very epicycles.

Dark energy, dark matter, black holes, neutron stars, etc. The whole edifice is based on guesswork.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
Joey Tribbiani

Are you serious or are you just trolling?
Because if cosmologist are the most delusional..

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

They are because of their self-image.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
I know.

But can you debate that the hearth is flat?
You can debate about the Big Bang Theory, about the fact that the Sun will explode 4/5 billions years from now.
I can't, and didn't intend to. My point was just what I mentioned. No hidden agenda.

On topic, (this will probably be an unpopular opinion here), I couldn't stand to watch the original series because I hated the way Carl Sagan spoke. Not the content, just something about the way he talked was very irritating.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Dark energy, dark matter, black holes, neutron stars, etc. The whole edifice is based on guesswork.
It's no more "guesswork" than Newton's law of gravity. Which was quite accurate, yet not 100% correct. It was only after General Relativity that it was fully finished.

Black holes are real. They have been observed using the x-ray spectrum. The same with neutron stars.

The rest may not be confirmed, but it's far from "guesswork". One starts from an idea, observes if mathematics agrees with it, but experiments destined to confirm a theory are getting more and more expensive. Discovering the Higgs boson (which started from your so called "guesswork" last century) took years of investments upon investments. It's not like in the 19th century now. Things are getting harder and harder now. If you'd have watched this show, you would have known how every major discovery was made.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
country flag Mjau!

Black holes and neutron stars have not been observed. They have been inferred. There is no evidence that what has been observed possesses the qualities ascribed to "black holes" and "neutron stars". That's why it's guesswork. They are extremely speculative and entirely hypothetical explanations of the actual observations.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

So, this article is bullshit...

http://news.discovery.com/space/gala...ays-130227.htm

Alright, Professor Mjau, thanks for your contributions.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
country flag Nunyabeezwax

Nunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, we all know that the leftist fedora-wearing pseduo-science people enjoy taking unprovoked shots at their perceived opponents.

Why is the scientific community so threatened?

Not that I've seen this series, so I can't speak for it directly. But people who have fanatical faith in current scientific theories are just as bad. Scientists once thought that the earth was flat, too.

Edit: By the way, many of the world's leading scientists were religious.
Enjoy the 700 Club.

Nunyabeezwax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
country flag Mjau!

You're welcome.

The eminent scientists have observed x-ray emissions. Their assumption that this must be caused by a "black hole" is not evidence that black holes exist. Maybe there's a different explanation for the observation?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
country flag Nunyabeezwax

Nunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond repute

What is the alternate explanation then? And I assume this alternate explanation will have mathematical explanatory power.

Nunyabeezwax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
country flag Mjau!

1000 years ago: "Oh, so you don't believe thunder is caused by Tor battling the giants, do you? Well, let's hear your alternate explanation then. And it better have godly explanatory power!"
Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #30
country flag Mjau!

You only believe in these things because the experts recognized as holders of The Truth tell you they are real. You are no more rational or free-thinking than the medieval peasants who believed everything the catholic priests told them.