Gasquet and Nadal - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #76
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gasquet and Nadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
For all those haters who keep saying that the hype over Gasquet was never justified, let's put it that way:

Do you find it normal that a 18 years old player who is capable of playing like this (against peak Federer who had only lost to 3 other guys that year: Nadal, Safin and Nalbandian....not a bad company to be with for a teenager):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6StHAeqZI

and this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxbiAHxRdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDYx...feature=relmfu

couldn't even win an ATP 500, let alone MS and GSs in the following 7 years of his career??

The funny things is that i'm sure that among those haters, most of them were the same who were on Gasquet's bandwagon after MC 2005 and even at the end of 2006, especially after his amazing match against Hewitt at US Open and his great run at Toronto where he destroyed Berdych (who had beaten Nadal), Murray in 1/2 final and peak Federer for 1 set in final.

Gasquet deserves some hate(sportive hate of course, not pure hate) for having underachieved so much relatively to his obvious potential but to say he's been widely overrated from the beginning is wrong i think.
If you consider his level of play at 18 and add to that the incredible junior career he had (especially in term of precocity) and the fact he was the youngest player ever to win a MS match(against Squillari who was a RG 1/2 finalist or finalist, don't remember), it was VERY VERY VERY hard to not hype him as a future Grand Slam winner BACK THEN.

And nevertheless, 7 years later, the guy has yet to win even an ATP 500.....
Yeah, thanks...backs up my earlier post with some hard evidence here. Exactly: it's easy to write off Gasquet NOW and say he never had it in him to win majors. But all those posters - eg. TopSpin Doctor, Mark Lenders, etc - that claim he never had it in him, show me proof that you thought this back in 2005, after he had beaten Federer as an 18 year old, then take Nadal to a final set at Monte Carlo final, and I'll hail you as visionaries and great readers of the game. But if you're just saying it now...nah, not so much.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #77
country flag yuri27

yuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond reputeyuri27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Yeah, thanks...backs up my earlier post with some hard evidence here. Exactly: it's easy to write off Gasquet NOW and say he never had it in him to win majors. But all those posters - eg. TopSpin Doctor, Mark Lenders, etc - that claim he never had it in him, show me proof that you thought this back in 2005, after he had beaten Federer as an 18 year old, then take Nadal to a final set at Monte Carlo final, and I'll hail you as visionaries and great readers of the game. But if you're just saying it now...nah, not so much.
And to make it even more "hilarious", i wouldn't be surprised if among those guys, there are many of them who are now on guys like Raonic's, Gulbis's or Tomic's bandwagons, predicting them Grand Slams in the future.
And this,despite the fact none of those guys have come close to show at 18 the level of play (i'm not even talking about results) Gasquet showed at this same age (ok, PERHAPS Gulbis a little bit).

Last edited by yuri27 : 09-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.
yuri27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #78
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

"Gasquet deserves some hate"

Fucking yuri27 idiot, crawl back to your fucking hole and do what you do the best : don't fucking post here, fucking dumbass.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #79
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Back in 2005, people still didn't know the slams belong to the top 3.

Now even Berdych knows it.

Basically, in the current state of affairs, the smartest thing to do is to write off every newcomer, if you want to end up being correct most of the time.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote