Help with choosing new racket - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
country flag omnirowdy

omnirowdy is on a distinguished road
Default Help with choosing new racket

I am currently a senior in highschool. And I am looking for a new racket. The current one I have been using is the prince tt cloud from a while back. It is only 9 oz, and I think I need a heavier racket from what people tell me. I am mostly a base line player and. I play singles, I love to put a lot of top spin on my shots but also like to come up to the net. If anyone has any suggestions on a racket I would really appreciate it.
omnirowdy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
country flag Fiberlight1
We Gonna See

Fiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with choosing new racket

Demo a ton. Tenniswarehouse has a ton of demos for relatively cheap. However, strings are half the formula. So find a decent racquet in terms of weight and then put your favorite strings on it.
Fiberlight1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
country flag omnirowdy

Do I need more weight to generate more power. Right now I'm not crushing my forehand but would like to get some more power. Would it benefit me to get a heavier racket?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnirowdy View Post
Do I need more weight to generate more power. Right now I'm not crushing my forehand but would like to get some more power. Would it benefit me to get a heavier racket?
Yes, most people need rackets that are above 9 oz to be successful. A heavier racket will generate more power, more control, and more stability if all other things are equal if the user is able to handle the weight. As a senior in high school, you should be able to handle at least a 11 oz racket. Since you said you like topspin, you may want a racket with a open string pattern. 16x19 or 16x18 are probably your best options. Your current racket carries a 105 sq inches head so you may not want to drop down to 98-100 sq inches for more control and stability. Rackets that meet the weight, string pattern, and head size requirements are: the Dunlop Biomimetic 400 Tour (99$ at tennis warehouse), Dunlop Biomimetic F5 Tour (179$), Wilson Blade 98 (199$), Wilson Juice 100 BLX ($129), Head Youtek IG Radical Pro ($119), Head Youtek IG Speed 300 ($129). There are also other suitible options offered by both Prince and Babolat. Just keep in mind that spending more on a racket is not always better. Many rackets stay the same from year to year, so you are really just paying more for an updated paint job.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
country flag Fiberlight1
We Gonna See

Fiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond reputeFiberlight1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The general sentiment is that a heavier racquet will provide more plow through and therefore more power. Something above 11 oz, probably.
Fiberlight1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
country flag omnirowdy

I have tested a few and. I really like the Dunlop 400 tour. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of string. On the one I have now I have no idea what it is but it is hybrid strung because I was breaking my strings a lot with how much spin I was putting on the ball. Any suggestions would be great thanks for the help so far.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #7

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have tested a few and. I really like the Dunlop 400 tour. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of string. On the one I have now I have no idea what it is but it is hybrid strung because I was breaking my strings a lot with how much spin I was putting on the ball. Any suggestions would be great thanks for the help so far.
I am glad you found a racket that you like. Just like choosing the right racket, choosing the right string is just as important. There are 5 generic types of string: synthetic gut, natural gut, multi-filament, kevlar/nylon and polyester.

Synthetic gut is your basic string solid string. The most popular is Prince Synthetic gut with duraflex. This is a great budget string and only costs around $5 per pack.

Natural gut is a string made from animal intestine and is considered the ultimate in premium strings. However, they run about $40 per set and do not have much durability.

Multi-filament is a very popular choice among rec and high school level players. Many varieties and price points are available. It very arm friendly, but does not have the same durability as most synthetic gut. Popular multi-filaments include Gamma TNT 2 ($10), Babolat Xcel ($20), and Technifibre NRG2 ($16).

Kevlar strings are extremely durable but are very harsh on the arm and do not offer the performance of Multi's and polyester so I wouldn't recommend them.

Polyester strings are the most diverse category of strings. This is what most pro's nowadays use. Polyester offers the largest spin potential and control, but can harsh on the arm, lack power, be difficult to string, and often expensive. These strings come in a variety of colors, shapes, textures, and stiffness's. Popular "standard" polyesters include: Luxilon ALU power, Technifibre Red code, Babolat Pro Hurricane, and Signum Pro Poly-Plasma. Textured strings offer additional spin. They include Luxilon ALU Power Rough, Tourna Poly Big Hitter Rough,and Polyfibre Black Venom Rough. Shaped polyester strings seem to be all the rage now. The most popular is Babolat RPM Blast, but others include Solinco Tour Bite, and Kirshbaum Spiky Shark.

Right now I currently use Solinco Tour Bite. It is a stiff low powered square shape polyester that is at a great price point. I use it because it is cheap(around 11$ per pack or 9$ per set if you buy a whole reel of it). The great thing about the string is that you can actually see the square profile of the string. You can see that it will really bite the ball and add some wicked spin. It is also stiff and low powered so it offers excellent control. It is one of the most popular new strings among both juniors and college players.

I hope I haven't confused you too much, but there are a few more things to go over. First, once you pick a string you have to pick the gauge (thickness) of the string. 16 gauge and 17 gauge are the most popular. 16 gauge has less power and more durability, while 17 gauge has more power and less durability. Since you are a chronic string breaker, I'd recommend first stringing your racket with a multifilament (probably Gamma TNT2 around 57 Lbs) and using that until it snaps with your new racket. Then, I'd restring with a dramatically different polyester string (probably Solinco Tour Bite around 54 Lbs) to see which one you prefer. Once you do that you should have a general idea about which characteristics you want in a string. If you are serious about continuing tennis after high school either through USTA, D-III tennis or even joining your college's club team (which is what I decided to do while in school), I'd consider purchasing both a reel of string and a basic stringing machine to cut back on the costs of playing the game. When string is purchased in a reel it costs an average of $2-3 less per set of string and the cost savings add up quickly. If you have the time and patience to teach yourself to string it will save you an incredible amount of money in the long run. A local club can often charge as much as $30 for a string job if you purchase a premium string. If you buy a stringing machine and reel of string you can string your racket for less than $10. Because a basic Gamma stringing machine costs about $200 (its really only 175) you will make your money back after stringing your racket 10 times. Its also a great way to make a few extra bucks when your buddies break their strings and don't feel like paying a ton of money for the half-a$$ed job that most tennis clubs do.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
country flag omnirowdy

One last quick question. What is your thought on hybrid stringing. Currently that is what I have, with the main strings being a higher gauge not sure exactly what. The cross strings are a smaller gauge I'm not sure if they are the same material one is white and the other is a kind of clear. But I really enjoy it being hybrid. So I would love your input on hybrid stringing. This is probably my last question, and I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #9

Quote:
One last quick question. What is your thought on hybrid stringing. Currently that is what I have, with the main strings being a higher gauge not sure exactly what. The cross strings are a smaller gauge I'm not sure if they are the same material one is white and the other is a kind of clear. But I really enjoy it being hybrid. So I would love your input on hybrid stringing. This is probably my last question, and I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks
Hybrid stringing is simply using 1 set of strings in the mains and a different set of string in the crosses. I personally don't hybrid, but it is a really good option that can blend the best of both poly's and multi's. Usually you use a polyester in the main's (the longer strings) and a multi or synthetic in the crosses. By using a softer string in the crosses you add a tad bit more power and take away some of the harshness of a full bed polyester setup. Iso-speed actually sells half sets of strings so you can create your own hybrid. I once used a set of their "control" in the mains of my racket and a set of their "speed" in the crosses. It was a decent configuration. In the end, you will really have to experiment to find the right match. Of course, companies like Babolat offer their own sets of hybrid, but they often come at an increased price. One of the more reasonable offerings is Solinco Tour Bite 17 & Vanquish 16 Hybrid String. It only costs $12.

Please let us know which racket and string you decide to buy. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
country flag Stanimal

Stanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond reputeStanimal has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your wallet also. Head Liquidmetal 4 is a great value for its price, but if I had a spare $200 I'd try a Babolat for sure.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Stanimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote