Developing deffansive style of play - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
country flag MilojeVacic

MilojeVacic is on a distinguished road
Default Developing deffansive style of play

My height is 189cm and my weight is 75 kg and I want to develop deffensive style of play. Will there be any problems because I am relatively tall, and should I loose some weight or not?
Also, how long distances should I run and how many times a week?
Will it be enough for me to do exercises (with or withouth dumbbells) at home for about 1 hour?

Do you have any specific advice(s) for deffensive style of play?
MilojeVacic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Developing deffansive style of play

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilojeVacic View Post
My height is 189cm and my weight is 75 kg and I want to develop deffensive style of play. Will there be any problems because I am relatively tall, and should I loose some weight or not?
Also, how long distances should I run and how many times a week?
Will it be enough for me to do exercises (with or withouth dumbbells) at home for about 1 hour?

Do you have any specific advice(s) for deffensive style of play?
It all depends on you circumstances. If you are going to be playing a defensive style you have to really develop your endurance and explosiveness. Forget about running long distances. Tennis is nothing more than a series of short sprints. Try doing a few 50 yard sprints as well as some suicides and cone drills to improve your speed in changing directions. I'd also recommend that you also start jumping rope to improve your anaerobic stamina. Adding body weight and dumbbell exercises are also a good idea.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
country flag AfricanTennisNow

AfricanTennisNow is on a distinguished road

Andy Murray is a good example of a relatively tall defensive player. His ATP player profile says he's 190cm and weighs 84kg. He's one of the best defensive players in the men's game.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
country flag User Name

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

offansive play style >>> Deffansive playstyle
Old 03-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #5
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
offansive play style >>> Deffansive playstyle
You clearly DKSAT. The best boxer in the world is Floyd Mayweather Jr. He is also the best defensive fighter in the world. Great goal tending trumped high powered offense in the Olympic hockey. Did you even bother to watch the Super Bowl? Seattle's defense destroyed the offense of Denver.

Fitness, consistency, and tactical counterattacking will almost always beat high power, high risk offensive style.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Well I know players that will destroy defensive players with raw power and placement . It won't matter how good you are defensively unless you can drag every rally into 20 or so shots . Good luck with that .
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #7

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

I am a fan of ' smart pushing' thought I do it against players that I know I can get away with it against now and again . For me you have to be able to place the ball well for this . Like hitting a really short cross court topspin shot and then passing them on the next shot, either pulling them into the court hitting it at a angle or deliberately hitting the ball short . I only lob when I am desperate .
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

When I do push I still find that I wait and as soon as anything pops up short I come in to kill it with a forhand .