Mens Tennis Forums banner

Philippoussis gets WC for Wimbledon.

927 views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Scotso 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone said this here yet?

Anyway, congratulations Mark. Good luck at Wimbledon!!

#4 ·
Oops, you are right, KBF!! This is an old article!!! Monday June 10th!! not 6th! Sorry, I will erase that!!!

But, it seems to be true that Mark got WC for this years Wimbledon. I read it in an article not in English....

#8 ·
here :rolleyes:

Philippoussis a Wimbledon wildcard

Monday, June 6, 2005 Posted: 1941 GMT (0341 HKT)

Philippoussis has been awarded wildcard entry into Wimbledon

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Former Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis was among six men awarded wildcards into the grasscourt grand slam on Monday.

The Australian, runner-up to Roger Federer two years ago, was the only non-British player given an invite into the main men's draw for the June 20-July 3 tournament.

Since reaching the final in 2003, Philippoussis has slumped to 189 in the world and would have needed to qualify if he had failed to secure a wildcard.

U.S. Open boy's champion Andrew Murray led a contingent of nine British players given a direct place in either the men's or women's draw.

Zimbabwean Cara Black was the only overseas player who has so far been guaranteed a wildcard place in the 128-strong women's field along with British hopes Elena Baltacha and Anne Keothavong.

Former men's champion Dutchman Richard Krajicek will be returning to the All England Club for the first time since 2002 after being handed a wildcard for the mixed doubles with his sister Michaela.

#11 ·
This is the article I read, but not in English... It is German, but you may recognize the meaning of the title of the article even if you don't understand German.

Wimbledon-Wildcard für Philippoussis
06.06.2005 20:44

TENNIS - Der Australier Mark Philippoussis hat für das Grand-Slam-Turnier in Wimbledon (20. Juni - 3. Juli) eine Wildcard erhalten.

Der 29-Jährige, in der Weltrangliste wegen verschiedenen Verletzungen auf Platz 189 zurückgefallen, war vor zwei Jahren bis in den Final vorgerückt, den er gegen Roger Federer in drei Sätzen verloren hatte.

#16 ·
regardless is he losses first rd this yr, look back at his results at wimbledon and you realise he has earned it, last yr 4th rd, 2003 made the final... then he's made the quarters for like 3yrs in a row, he deserves it so get over it everyone. stop being so mean, he's been consistant every year despite ranking or injury leading up to the tournament.

G
#17 ·
flip_fan said:
regardless is he losses first rd this yr, look back at his results at wimbledon and you realise he has earned it, last yr 4th rd, 2003 made the final... then he's made the quarters for like 3yrs in a row, he deserves it so get over it everyone. stop being so mean, he's been consistant every year despite ranking or injury leading up to the tournament.

i agree

but having said if he doesn't make the most of it, he should be made to qualify for all forthcoming tournaments

#18 ·
bad gambler said:
i agree

but having said if he doesn't make the most of it, he should be made to qualify for all forthcoming tournaments
that i totally agree with. but considering its wimbledon and his consistancy he deserves a WC, but if he doesnt show form during this event then of course he should go through qualies for other events...

#19 ·
oh, win it just like goran in 01, with a wild card :D:D

#23 ·
I probably shouldn't comment. I mean.... wait till all the WC's are handed out. Then I'll comment. Otherwise I might reveal my huge double standard :tape: *see avatar*

#25 ·
Bjorkman_Girl said:
I probably shouldn't comment. I mean.... wait till all the WC's are handed out. Then I'll comment. Otherwise I might reveal my huge double standard :tape: *see avatar*
Ive been looking up Popp's wimbledon record at atp tennis did he play in 98', 99', 01', 02' ??? Because it isnt so much of a "double standard" if he didnt play in those yrs... mark has competed more and achieved more.

marks record...
1998 - quarter finals
1999 - quarter finals
2000 - quarters finals
2001 - out with knee injury
2002 - 4th round
2003 - final
2004 - 4th round

#26 · (Edited)
Why am I not surprised. Did you also check Alexander's lovely list of injuries?

edit: ok, the injuries have not that much to do with it...but generally, overall, Mark has had a nicer career, talent wise, title-wise (don't know about consistency?) and been alright on other surfaces... so there's not really much basis for comparison. Alexanders highest ever ranking was an amazing 74 (I know. Wow!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.