ROGI's Davis Cup 2003! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
RogiFan

RogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default ROGI's Davis Cup 2003!

We can post news, articles and photos of Rogi and the Swissies in their Davis Cup rounds here!

You know they play Holland Feb. 7-9 in Holland!

Here's what Sjeng Schalken says:

Against Switzerland, Schalken knows that the whole team will have to be on top of their game to counter the threat of Roger Federer, Michel Kratochvil and co.

“Federer is the man to beat. He might play three rubbers and he virtually beat Morocco on his own [in a World Group qualifier last September]. He can play on clay and fast courts so we didn’t plan the surface for him, we just picked our own court for our type of game and hopefully he has a bad weekend! "Switzerland are a very solid team. Kratochvil was world ranked in juniors and now he’s proved himself to be really good in the seniors also. It’s going to be a 50-50 match.”

The Swissies said Holland will be difficult to beat but at least they'll stay in Europe. Micha said that in the World Group there are no easy opponents. It will be even more difficult with Schalken and Krajicek. Micha also said that Holland will probably choose a fast surface.

Rogi, the DC Swiss team leader thinks Holland will be one of the easier opponents and that Switzerland could get past the first round.

...more to come!
RogiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Many compliments not only for Roger, but Micha as well

He's right; Schalken and Krajieck doesn't make anybody's lives easier. I posted in my Michel group that I thought indoor carpet was a pretty neutral surface between the two teams -- of course Schalken and Krajieck like anything that will help their serve; Roger is an all court player and Michel was practically raised indoors.

the Netherlands is one of the easier World Group opponents, and right now I believe our Swissies have a slight edge in the overall head to head, 3-2. It's going to be a good one

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:53 AM   #3
RogiFan

RogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope they make it through! I watched the Juanqui-Hewitt DC00 match and later thought about Misha-P-Henri last year and how Juanqui and Misha became their country's DC heroes! So nice! What an experience for them at such a young age too! Then I thought poor Rogi may never have that experience!

But with the other Swissies' help, they just might do it! I would LOVE to see those DC matches from Basel01 and Casablanca02 and Moscow02!!

Old 01-28-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
Doris Loeffel

Doris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Doris Loeffel
....wouldn't be surprised when all of a sudden Yves Allegro will play doubles besides Roger as they did pretty good at AO. But then the Bastl/Federer combination wasn't bad either.....

Well it looks like I had a good nose. Yves Allégro is indeed mominated for DC. He replaces Ivo Heuberger who isn't 100 %.

With him we have an other alternative for the Doubles says DC captain Marc Rosset. Clear leader is Roger Federer. Nominated are as well Michel Kratochvil and George Bastl.

From Thursday on they'll train at the national tennis-center at Biel. On Sunday they'll head to Arnheim NL.
Doris Loeffel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
RogiFan

Thanks Doris for the update! That's great Yves will be part of the DC team along w Micha and George and Rogi. So they'll start training this week and then go to Holland. Let's hope that Rogi gets back into form for DC and beyond!

Old 01-28-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
Doris Loeffel

Doris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond repute

Especially and beyond!!

I have no doubt he'll give it all for DC.
Doris Loeffel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait till DC starts. I don't know if Dutch tv will show it (usually they do, but in the same weekend is the world championship speed skating, and at the sunday is the important soccermatch ajax-feyenoord) but at the sundays I will visit the DC.

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
RogiFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
I can't wait till DC starts. I don't know if Dutch tv will show it (usually they do, but in the same weekend is the world championship speed skating, and at the sunday is the important soccermatch ajax-feyenoord) but at the sundays I will visit the DC.
You will be there at the tournament? If so, take lots of pix for us!!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I will take a lot of pix

Hopp Suisse!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #10
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm torn simply because Roger'll be playing the Sjengster - my two favourite players, why did it have to happen? Actually, it could make for a very interesting tie as it's easily the most open of all the first-round matches in the World Group.

I hope Federer and Bastl do make up the Swiss doubles team, simply because if they put Krajicek alongside another Dutch player to face them then the crowd will be able to see the only three people ever to take out Sampras at Wimby since he started his winning run, all on the same court! Imagine that...

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #11
RogiFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjengster
I'm torn simply because Roger'll be playing the Sjengster - my two favourite players, why did it have to happen? Actually, it could make for a very interesting tie as it's easily the most open of all the first-round matches in the World Group.

I hope Federer and Bastl do make up the Swiss doubles team, simply because if they put Krajicek alongside another Dutch player to face them then the crowd will be able to see the only three people ever to take out Sampras at Wimby since he started his winning run, all on the same court! Imagine that...

Yeah, that's interesting!! Are you going too?? We never get any DC stuff here...
Old 01-28-2003, 05:36 PM   #12
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid not, I'm a Schalken fan but I'm from the UK and my weekend is rather busy. Just have to rely on the Davis Cup website as per usual I suppose - those slowly clicking scores have an agony all their own...

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

It seems like I'm the only one who goes to the DC :P
Oh, I remember Meluriel also comes to Holland.

Hopp Suisse!
Old 01-28-2003, 06:45 PM   #14
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by Doris Loeffel
Quote Doris Loeffel
....wouldn't be surprised when all of a sudden Yves Allegro will play doubles besides Roger as they did pretty good at AO. But then the Bastl/Federer combination wasn't bad either.....

Well it looks like I had a good nose. Yves Allégro is indeed mominated for DC. He replaces Ivo Heuberger who isn't 100 %.

With him we have an other alternative for the Doubles says DC captain Marc Rosset. Clear leader is Roger Federer. Nominated are as well Michel Kratochvil and George Bastl.

From Thursday on they'll train at the national tennis-center at Biel. On Sunday they'll head to Arnheim NL.
LOL!! Good call, Doris After the AO I thought Yves would travel with the Swiss team as well.

Thanks for the news! GOOOOO SWISSIES!!!!!

Old 01-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #15
country flag TennisHack

Dutch Delight in 2003?

The Netherlands might not be everyone’s headline-pick to take home the 2003 Davis Cup, but as their number one Sjeng Schalken explained, they have huge reserves of talent and experience, as well as a secret weapon.

The Dutch hope to welcome back the fit-again Richard Krajicek, former World Number One doubles player Paul Haarhuis, as well as the swashbuckling Raemon Sluiter back into the fold for their first round World Group tie against Switzerland, February 7-9.

Schalken, for one, can’t wait.

"Davis Cup brings you to a different level," he said.

"Everybody stands right behind you when you’re at home and it’s also nice for the opponent. "I talked to Nicolas Kiefer [after the Netherlands vs. Germany tie in 2001] and other players who have played in that atmosphere. They said that it’s really fair, and for them it’s also fun to play. Switzerland will find that there’s going to be a lot of noise, but it will be very fair."

Having reached the semifinals that year without the 1996 Wimbledon Champion Krajicek, the mind boggles as to what they might achieve with him as part of the set-up for the first time in three years. As well as his serve-and-volley game, Krajicek brings a wealth of experience that clearly rubs off on the team’s younger players.

“Richard is the best player ever in Holland and if he’s fit and willing to play, of course there’s a place for him,” said Schalken.

“I was fortunate that when I was 18 or 19 that I could travel with Jacco Eltingh and Paul Haarhuis, and I could see Krajicek close-up at his top-ten level. I saw those guys every week, got used to it and I learned a lot from them. For Sluiter and other guys coming up in the team it’s really good if they can see the older ones playing and see how they prepare.”

Especially Haarhuis. The Dutchman, a winner of 54 doubles titles, might be the oldest player on tour at 36, but as Schalken reports, he is still as professional as ever.

“He’s semi-retired but there’s no one in Holland playing doubles as well as him,” said Schalken. “He still practices like a young dog - six, seven hours a day and he’s still fit.”

Against Switzerland, Schalken knows that the whole team will have to be on top of their game to counter the threat of Roger Federer, Michel Kratochvil and co.

“Federer is the man to beat. He might play three rubbers and he virtually beat Morocco on his own [in a World Group qualifier last September]. He can play on clay and fast courts so we didn’t plan the surface for him, we just picked our own court for our type of game and hopefully he has a bad weekend! "Switzerland are a very solid team. Kratochvil was world ranked in juniors and now he’s proved himself to be really good in the seniors also. It’s going to be a 50-50 match.” Thankfully for the Dutch then, they also carry a joker card in the form of Sluiter.

The 24-year-old only finished 96th in the ATP Champions Race last year, but as soon as he pulls on a Davis Cup shirt, he is a different man.

“He is our big Davis Cup hero,” said Schalken with a smile.

What is Sluiter’s secret?

“Well, his secret is that the night before the match he stands in front of the mirror, and says to himself: ‘You are going to do it tomorrow. You are going to be the man tomorrow!’

"He’s really focused in Davis Cup and it’s very tough to beat him. You have to beat him 20 times in a Davis Cup match and once he feels like the public is behind him you can’t stop him.”

And if there’s one thing the Dutch can count on, it’s that their Orange Army of fans will be right behind them throughout.