2014, Summer N. American Hard Court Season - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #286
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014, European Clay Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalBanks View Post
As a Simon fan this loss is hard to take.
I agree. I'm right there with you on that. But I guess I'll go even further with it.

Where to begin. Here's the rub for me. A lot of people are going to say that this was a great match for Gilles and that this can only mean good things for him going forward. I will be the one to say I don't think it will. Firstly, It WAS a great and exciting match and Gilles should be commended and applauded for the valiant effort and heart he displayed in the match. It was great to see him out there enjoying himself (for the most part) and living in the moment against the world #1 on the big stage in a masters 1000. But for me, when you peel all of it back and really look at why Gilles lost a different picture comes to the surface. For me, this match read like a highlight reel of everything that is wrong with Gilles in his current state. No consistent confidence in his game and the big moments. Up and down. Up and down.

He played great tennis, but at the key moments where games/sets and matches are won or lost, he faltered yet again, because of his lack of confidence and belief in himself. How many people realize that Gilles should've won this match in straight sets? He broke Nadal twice in the first set. But the first break was to get back the game he handed Nadal and then the second break was to get back the break that Nadal actually played well to get in the first place. Point is, if Gilles hadn't donated that first break against him. He would've won the first set because He broke Nadal twice. Then, he completely melted down in the first set tiebreak.

Then, after he pulled out the second set in another tiebreak where the match should've ended (forget about the 0-40 in the second set at 4-4 he had to possibly avoid the tiebreak after the disaster that was the first one) to take it to a third, he should've been up a double break at 4-0, but ultimately lost it 6-2. Some of that was do to Nadal yes, but most of it was do to Gilles struggling during the key moments of the match yet again because Nadal was making a lot of errors and completely shanking on shots left and right. First game of the third set he let slip away as well and if he had held, he broke Nadal the next game. He could've been up 3-0 if he held serve. Plus, he had 0-30 again on Nadals next serve and he let that slip away not from Nadal winners, but his own errors. So he could've conceivably been up a double break of 4-0 serving to go up 5-0. Confidence decided all of that. Just as it did in the Murray match.

Gilles playing great tennis and showing off his skill hasn't been the issue. We know the skill and talent is still there so seeing him do/display it against Nadal is great but it's the lack of confidence that is still present and still costing him as it did today that bothers me. For me, as great as it was to see Gilles giving it his all today, it was another bitter pill to swallow when he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. I don't think this will change anything. I think if he had won it would've. As it stands, it's just another heart-breaking loss.

I don't know guys. That's just what I saw out of this match and what I feel about the outcome. If I'm wrong and Gilles goes on to great things the rest of this season and this match served as the springboard for him to do that then great. I'll be happy to be wrong. But it's been bad for a while now and I'm not going to let myself succumb to what I want to be the case versus what really is the case as of right now.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #287
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

While I wouldn't take this match as a sign of a turning point, I'm not sure if this match should spring further pessimism though. We all know that Gilles likes to bring it when he plays the top guys, as always, he plays well when he's the underdog. So yes, he played well this match doesn't really mean much. His main issue is still that he's lacking the confident to beat the lower guys, or the guys in his level. So this match is hardly an indication of what will come next week and the weeks after next. But his being up and down isn't anything new either. When's the last time he has any confident to beat that 4? 2008? This match surely didn't show any new low confident, it's just quite the usual "he's not confident enough to close out the big gun" norm. I don't see why seeing this match should make anyone more worry than they already are for the past few months, if not years.

Then again, I didn't even see the match, perhaps I should shut up lol. ooops.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #288
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
While I wouldn't take this match as a sign of a turning point, I'm not sure if this match should spring further pessimism though. We all know that Gilles likes to bring it when he plays the top guys, as always, he plays well when he's the underdog. So yes, he played well this match doesn't really mean much. His main issue is still that he's lacking the confident to beat the lower guys, or the guys in his level. So this match is hardly an indication of what will come next week and the weeks after next. But his being up and down isn't anything new either. When's the last time he has any confident to beat that 4? 2008? This match surely didn't show any new low confident, it's just quite the usual "he's not confident enough to close out the big gun" norm. I don't see why seeing this match should make anyone more worry than they already are for the past few months, if not years.

Then again, I didn't even see the match, perhaps I should shut up lol. ooops.
You should watch until 2-2 in the third, it was good stuff. I hear you, GSA, and I agree it could amount to nothing but he was much more consistent in the first two rounds here than he's been so I think at least his tennis is better, even if his mental state isn't.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #289
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
You should watch until 2-2 in the third, it was good stuff.
I will, for sure, probably the replay from ESPN 3 tonite, if they are up already.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #290
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Bye in Nice, then Steve Johnson or Thiem. Berlocq and Benneteau are also in his quarter.
Police Of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #291
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

That really sucks, here comes another first round loss to Thiem.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #292
country flag Suz-ee

Suz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond reputeSuz-ee has a reputation beyond repute

That is one shitty draw.
Suz-ee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #293

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

If Gilles is playing well the only person who would give him trouble would be Isner. But let's face it, what once would've been a dream draw for him is now a nightmare no matter the draw because he's struggling with confidence, and therefore, consistency every tournament. If he can play like he did against Nadal right out of the gate (I know not likely but just saying) then he should be a lock for at least the Semis against Isner. Let's just say that depending on which Gilles shows up, the draw certainly holds potential for a run. If Thiem gets through Johnson, he would be facing Gilles on clay as opposed to his best surface so it does give Gilles a chance as well as more time on dealing with his big serve. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #294
country flag HalBanks

HalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond reputeHalBanks has a reputation beyond repute

In his mind he must surely realise these are matches he should be winning, but who knows where Gilles' head is at the moment. Ah well, he can only try his best, I will support him all the way.
HalBanks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #295

Well it was dicey but Gilles managed to get it together and avenge his loss to Thiem. He had a slew of break points that he failed to capitalize on in the second set and was in danger of losing four games in a row at the end of the 2nd set and beginning of the 3rd at 0-1 0-30 but managed to right the ship and Gilles started playing better and Thiem looked to be running out of gas. Berlocq up next and hopefully the trend of avenging losses will continue and Gilles can get back the painful DC loss to him as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #296
country flag mike s.

Glad I was wrong. Thiem was a little below his best but it doesn't matter, these kinds of wins are good for his confidence. Berlocq will be very tough, let's hope he can build on this and win back to back matches for what seems like the first time in a long time.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #297
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see Gilles not falling apart mentally after leading 63 *43, he had the right attitude today and his tennis seems a bit more solid lately . Thiem was in form for the last months, and even if the Austrian wasn't at his best, I think it will do good to Gilles to beat Dominic in a relatively long match. A SF here could definitely kickstart his season, this is his 3rd QF of the year but still no SF's. Berlocq match will surely be a big battle, but this time is in Gilles hometown, and I think he will badly want to win. Allez Gillou !
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #298

Really decisive stuff from Gilles today! He played much better and really only faltered a few times but was so in control that it really didn't matter. Another loss avenged. Isner got knocked out by Delbonis so I like Gilles' chances much better against him and especially if he continues to play like this. Gilles will get yet another chance to avenge a loss against Delbonis now too. It's been the tournament of revenge so far for Gilles.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #299
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see him playing so well, his attacking game was quite stunning today , one of his best performances of the year without a doubt, and he used really well the crowd today, I love to see him playing so well on his hometowm, he really loves to play in France. First SF of the year , and a good chance now vs Del Bonis, he's playing much better now than in Casablanca, so I hope that the outcome will be different this time. Also, great attitude again after being *53 40-15 and having to be 54* 15-40 down, he just kept playing like nothing happened. Allez Gillou !
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #300
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Best tennis from Gilles since his title run late last year. Really this title is up for grabs if he can continue to hit the forehand well and serve better (which he did in this match) he could go all the way. Still a SF is already a great result given this year but I'm sure he will be annoyed if he doesn't make the final given his SF opponent.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote