Does anyone here think one of the Slams should be indoors? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone here think one of the Slams should be indoors?

Think about it, if we made one of the slams indoors, then all 4 slams are uniquely different. Thus making it harder for any player to win all 4 slams in a calendar year.

One indoor hard court slam
One outdoor hard court slam
One outdoor grass court slam
One outdoor clay court slam.

I say they should make either US Open or Australian Open indoors.

Any thoughts?
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
country flag robbery47

robbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone here think one of the Slams should be indoors?

A Grand Slam is too big to play it indoor. You need minimum 30 courts for a GS. To cover them all would be way to expensive and all the logistics with air-conditioner...
And I also believe the atmoshphere would lack sth. If you walk around at current GS you can see, feel and hear the GS-atmosphere. You can relax in the sun and take a chill. Would that be the case at an indoor-GS? I don't think so

I'm fine with World Tour final and Paris being played indoor.

Last edited by robbery47 : 12-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
robbery47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
country flag ClutchOnandWin
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

No.

People are too obsessed with slams, IMO, they should be left well alone, if they're not broken, what can you try and fix?

The US Open is quite fast and the ATP would never make a grandslam tournament in today's era any faster than that slam. If they moved it to an indoors facility, the speed wouldn't change, as you've seen there['s only Stockholm, Basel and one or two other indoor tournaments out there that are actually that fast anymore.

They need to look at introducing a few more indoors masters events and making them around the speed stockholm and basel use. Paris is too slow and it's indoors, it's slightly ridiculous.

What they need to is stop meddling with different types of balls all season around, keep to one ball for every surface and let the surface play out how rallies operate. It defeats the purpose of a claycourt when they use light balls, it defeats the purpose of a grass court when they use heavy balls and it also will defeat the purpose of an australian open medium pace and medium bounce hardcourt when they bloody well start using these lively tennis balls that react devastingly to topspin.

It's like this. "Oh, clay is slow, but guess what, we don't want it to be too slow, so what we'll do is use lighter balls"

"Grass is relatively fast and low bouncing, but we don't want the ball skidding off the surface for quick short point tennis, so we'll use heavier balls"

...and etc etc..........

In the end, what you get is every surface playing out the same. Essentially. If you think about it, they're all being balanced up by the balls.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

No.

It's sad enough that indoor tennis has become a factor at Wimbledon, AO and soon at the USO as well.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
No.

It's sad enough that indoor tennis has become a factor at Wimbledon, AO and soon at the USO as well.
No, it's sad that you have to have that opinion because your unpleasant and ugly bias means you will thirst for whatever caters for your "one indoors title" Rafael Nadal.

How transparant.

Be a tennis fan, don't be a fanboy.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

No. I like to maintain traditions as much as possible. And I agree with robbery47, it's too big for indoors and the atmosphere would not be the same.
vBookie net amount won: 31401 (2014: +24706, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 103 (high 90), TT doubles rank 70 (high 70).
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
No, it's sad that you have to have that opinion because your unpleasant and ugly bias means you will thirst for whatever caters for your "one indoors title" Rafael Nadal.

How transparant.

Two. Madrid indoors 2005 and Sao Paulo 2013.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How transparant.

So, basically, he agrees with you by replying "no" to the question, just like you did, and yet... you still attack this poster.
Maybe it's you who is being the transparant one for bringing up Nadal whereas GSMNadal didn't.

In reply to the question: I do think that tennis should be viewed mostly as an outdoor sport and the majors should remain outdoors as much as possible.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
So, basically, he agrees with you by replying "no" to the question, just like you did, and yet... you still attack this poster.
Maybe it's you who is being the transparant one for bringing up Nadal whereas GSMNadal didn't.
I think you need to reread his post and the tone of what he said.

He is providing the same answer, but all for very differing reasons. He dislikes the fact Wimbledon becomes an indoor grass tournament during rainy weather as far as play goes on the center court. Now why in any way would he dislike this? Anyone with any love for the game would not want to wait through all the hours and potentially days of rain delay before action recommences. Right? Whether the conditions are sped up by that fraction and favour the more offensive player with more ballstrike in his game should not be relevant, unless you have an aligence with a player whom would struggle against his rivals, in these quicker conditions. Ofcourse? *raises both eyebrows*

Nadal would and has struggled against the trio of Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro in faster conditions. We've seen it multiple times with Djokovic, a few times with Murray (Ala the US Open) and Del Potro at both the US Open and Shanghai Masters. (Which was only this year)

Even Federer, whom the guy has an obvious distinct matchup advantage over would cause a problem or two to Nadal in faster conditions. (If he returns to where he was prior to 2012)

So you see, I did not involve Nadal, but it is glaringly transparant to see where this guy's verdict on whether we should have an indoors grandslam stems from and it's certainly not from wanting the best for the game, or a better spectacle for him/all. It's only his hand in the air, bragging, trophy parades he is concerning himself about.

It's all about these tard's bragging rights.

#keepinitreal

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
country flag Rychu
Thumps Chest Repeatedly

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Two. Madrid indoors 2005 and Sao Paulo 2013.

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Of Mind View Post
Growth factors ain't what they used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borna Coric View Post
When I play my best yes I'm more a Djokovic game wise. When I'm not at my best I'm more like Murray.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...69&postcount=4
Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is the 5th most important event and is usually harder to win than at least one slam a year. It's only Nadulltard propaganda to pretend like it doesn't matter because Nadull can't win it. WTF has more history than the AO (remember when Nadulltards were trying to pretend the Olympics are more important ) and is probably on equal level to that slam in terms of career evaluation.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
WTF is the 5th most important event and is usually harder to win than at least one slam a year. It's only Nadulltard propaganda to pretend like it doesn't matter because Nadull can't win it. WTF has more history than the AO (remember when Nadulltards were trying to pretend the Olympics are more important ) and is probably on equal level to that slam in terms of career evaluation.
No, come on now, you;re being silly.

7 best of 5 set matches does not get beaten by some mini-put together round robin tournament where you can lose once and still win the bloody thing. No way. They're all best of 3 sets too.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

7 best of 5 set matches does not get beaten by some mini-put together round robin tournament where you can lose once and still win the bloody thing. No way. They're all best of 3 sets too.
While your point may be valid, the counterweight is that the WTF round robin is among the 8 most highly ranked players in the world, who are most often legitimately the best. The slams can be a mishmash of very lowly ranked opposition and one or two from 1-20 range. Kinda evens out

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's not that you're underestimating the WTF but rather overestimating the slams. In Wimbledon Mugray didn't have to play at top 20 player until the final and still had multiple chokes get him the title, Nadull had to play 1 top 20 player before the USO final (Gasquet ), we all know the difficulty of Ferrer in the RG final for Nadull , and even Fakervic had a pretty easy road to the AO without Fed or Nadull in his way.

On the other hand to win WTF Fakervic had to beat Fed, Del Potro, Wawrinka (who took him to 5 at the AO) and Nadull, all in peak form. I agree round robin and best of 3 are pretty dumb but you need to lower your expectations in the Nadull mug era.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
It's not that you're underestimating the WTF but rather overestimating the slams. In Wimbledon Mugray didn't have to play at top 20 player until the final and still had multiple chokes get him the title, Nadull had to play 1 top 20 player before the USO final (Gasquet ), we all know the difficulty of Ferrer in the RG final for Nadull , and even Fakervic had a pretty easy road to the AO without Fed or Nadull in his way.

On the other hand to win WTF Fakervic had to beat Fed, Del Potro, Wawrinka (who took him to 5 at the AO) and Nadull, all in peak form. I agree round robin and best of 3 are pretty dumb but you need to lower your expectations in the Nadull mug era.
Oh cmon man, rankings are bullshit and you know it. If you seriously pay attention to rankings then you're kidding yourself. They are simply a rough guide.

Jerzy Janowicz and Mikeal Youzhny are of more than top 20 standard/class. Youzhny had an amazing season. You cannot base the "level of a player's performance" on every match based on their ranking, you must instead look at how they've performed. Jerzy played at a ridiculously high level and I cannot see anyone else other than Djokovic, Murray and DelPotro who'd have possibly beaten him in the tournament. Youzhny much the same, I think Youzhny would have beaten Ferrer tbqh. Oh and there's forgetting Verdasco who suddenly out of nowhere turned into the 2009 australian open beast again, or near to it. Can you honestly tell me Verdasco, Janowicz and Youhzny played to a top 20 level play at the tournament? I think you can. They played sensational. I honestly am not quite too sure about what chokes you're refering to, Verdasco got slightly tight but that was it.... Wawrinka was knocked out by HEwitt in the opening round. Ranking? Means, jackshit.

I've said this all along, outside of the top 4 or 5 players in the world, anybody inside the top 50 can give the players ranked between 6 and 20 a good game and beat them. Player's do not even justify their ranking between 10 and 20. These rankings are simply based on consistency, not ability and not talent or skill. Consistency, a player's professionalism and workethic.

Rankings mean jackshit. I felt Janowicz played an amazing match against Murray, as this Verdasco and as did Youzhny. On paper, for those whom base everything of statistics which can be misleading, Djokovic may have had the tougher route through but using a little bit of open mindedness you can see that Murray's opponents were the ones indeed playing the better tennis.