Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are we witnessing a lost generation?

Absolutely Yes. Coric and co. will arrive and own every previous gen. 8 15.69%
Yes. Coric and co. will be ready to rule only after the big 4 depart. 16 31.37%
Absolutely No. Jerzy and co. will crush big 4 soon and the next gen too.. 5 9.80%
No. Jerzy and co. will rule for a while before Coric and co. arrive. 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
country flag gcgoncalves

gcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond reputegcgoncalves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation?

Ok, so some of you think the Milos, Jerzy, Grigor and Tomic generation is crap. You also think Coric, Garin, Quinzi, Kyrgios, Kokki, etc. have not proven themselves so you can't see them taking over.

Question is... Who will? You ramble on, but fail to answer a very simple question. Somebody ought to take over from the Big 4 at one point in time (3, 4, 5, 6 years from now, whatever is your guess). The OP just wants to know in our opinion if the 22/23 yos of today will take over from the current big4 or if they will be leaped over by younger guys by the time the Big4 is gone. It's a simple question, really.

To answer the OP and stay on topic, I think the current crop of 17/18 year olds will not take over from the current Big 4 directly. I think there will be a transition period, and the next Grand Slam winning generation will be the 22/23 year olds of today. I don't think they will dominate for long, though. But just enough to get their 'time under the sun' as the OP phrased it.
gcgoncalves is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Coric, Garin, Quinzi, Kyrgios, Kokki, etc generation .... you don't know whether these guys are going to develop and blossom, you simply are just guessing by saying these names.

Who will? It's complete guess work, who will? Isn't it? Will Dimitrov, Raonic and Jerzy Janowicz dominate the top game of men's tennis after these current guys move on? Not for my best money, if I had to put money on what will happen, I would go for an open sort of field, where there is no real dominance in tennis and every slam is wide open with lots of potential winners.

Jerzy's game is too hot and cold, Raonic only has his serve and Dimitrov hasn't shown me he has the mentality to be a champion. By champions standard, not normal top 30 player's standard, champions standards, Dimitrov is a gutless man. I don't feel he's a good matchplayer and is completely style over substance.

As for the 18/19 year olds, I don't really think you can make any definitive predictions on which player's will be roaming the top 10 but I am pretty confident Carreno Busta will be top 20, that I am 80% sure on. Vesley is debatable, as I haven't liked his game on hardcourts of late. Kryigos I see more as a top 20 player that can occasionally upset the top guys come the future. These other dudes however, who's to say they are any of the ones who'll crop up and take over? There may be a late bloomer for all we know. Nishikori is ofcourse in the mix, I agree but he lacks a real big weapon and very injruy prone.

I just think it's a bit soon to start throwing names out.

I know what the OP is talking about. He's asking whether the slightly younger generation below the Dimitrov, Raonic and Janowicz one will be the successor's to the current top guys as opposed to Dimitrov, Raonic and Janowicz. I think that's complete and utter guess work. IMO there are no Djokovic's, Murray's, Nadal's and Federer's or even Del Potro's out there.... none.... none atm I can see. Some very talented claycourters in Vesley, Carreno and Del Bonis but no one with genuine talent that can cover all surfaces.

It's guess work.
Tennis is a battle of not only skill and tactics but also character, a test of one's character, a bit like poker in a way, when to stick and when to take that risk. It’s about keeping your head in the tough, pressure cooker situations and to capitalise when you have got some momentum going.

In tennis there are three types of players, ones with all the talent but lack the character and work ethic, those with all the character and work ethic but are limited in terms of talent and of course those who have it all. An example of a player with all the character, work ethic and talent is Novak Djokovic.

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
ClutchOnandWin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
country flag Spirographus

Spirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
As for the 18/19 year olds, I don't really think you can make any definitive predictions on which player's will be roaming the top 10 but I am pretty confident Carreno Busta will be top 20, that I am 80% sure on.
Pablo Carreno Busta is 22 (he is 91 generation) so he should really be compared to Milos, Jerzy, Grigor and Bernard.

On the original question: I don't see a problem for Raonic, Janowicz and Dimitrov to dominate in a few years time. Tomic could also join them, but he really needs to change his attitude (and split from his dad as a coach). As gcgoncalves said - if not them who will...??? It will still take them 2-3 years though to overthrow the current dominators. I expect the next couple of seasons to be very ineterestin indeed.
Spirographus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
Coric, Garin, Quinzi, Kyrgios, Kokki, etc generation .... you don't know whether these guys are going to develop and blossom, you simply are just guessing by saying these names.

Who will? It's complete guess work, who will? Isn't it? Will Dimitrov, Raonic and Jerzy Janowicz dominate the top game of men's tennis after these current guys move on? Not for my best money, if I had to put money on what will happen, I would go for an open sort of field, where there is no real dominance in tennis and every slam is wide open with lots of potential winners.

Jerzy's game is too hot and cold, Raonic only has his serve and Dimitrov hasn't shown me he has the mentality to be a champion. By champions standard, not normal top 30 player's standard, champions standards, Dimitrov is a gutless man. I don't feel he's a good matchplayer and is completely style over substance.

As for the 18/19 year olds, I don't really think you can make any definitive predictions on which player's will be roaming the top 10 but I am pretty confident Carreno Busta will be top 20, that I am 80% sure on. Vesley is debatable, as I haven't liked his game on hardcourts of late. Kryigos I see more as a top 20 player that can occasionally upset the top guys come the future. These other dudes however, who's to say they are any of the ones who'll crop up and take over? There may be a late bloomer for all we know. Nishikori is ofcourse in the mix, I agree but he lacks a real big weapon and very injruy prone.

I just think it's a bit soon to start throwing names out.

I know what the OP is talking about. He's asking whether the slightly younger generation below the Dimitrov, Raonic and Janowicz one will be the successor's to the current top guys as opposed to Dimitrov, Raonic and Janowicz. I think that's complete and utter guess work. IMO there are no Djokovic's, Murray's, Nadal's and Federer's or even Del Potro's out there.... none.... none atm I can see. Some very talented claycourters in Vesley, Carreno and Del Bonis but no one with genuine talent that can cover all surfaces.

It's guess work.
He beat Djokovic on clay and Ferrer in an ATP final
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Grigor is just gearing up. Calm down . The rest though? Maybe. Milos has such a limited game, Jerzy isn't exactly intelligent, and Tomic? Less said the better.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #36
country flag Hangaroo

Hangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgoncalves View Post
Ok, so some of you think the Milos, Jerzy, Grigor and Tomic generation is crap. You also think Coric, Garin, Quinzi, Kyrgios, Kokki, etc. have not proven themselves so you can't see them taking over.

Question is... Who will? You ramble on, but fail to answer a very simple question. Somebody ought to take over from the Big 4 at one point in time (3, 4, 5, 6 years from now, whatever is your guess). The OP just wants to know in our opinion if the 22/23 yos of today will take over from the current big4 or if they will be leaped over by younger guys by the time the Big4 is gone. It's a simple question, really.

To answer the OP and stay on topic, I think the current crop of 17/18 year olds will not take over from the current Big 4 directly. I think there will be a transition period, and the next Grand Slam winning generation will be the 22/23 year olds of today. I don't think they will dominate for long, though. But just enough to get their 'time under the sun' as the OP phrased it.

Some very nice points made in the thread overall 2014 might be the defining year for Grigor and co. They'll have to start making past the 4th round/QFs at the slams and beat the non-big 4 top 10 players (and possibly even a big 4 member) at a few of the big events.

Also, do you guys see any chances of one (or many) of the Kyrgios gen winning slams at 19-20 years of age? Many seem to assume that none of them will be slam-ready until 23-24 years of age like the Jerzy gen. I know it is too early to predict anything at this point as the young players tend to progress/regress a lot in a few months. But since we are predicting the future anyway, why not have a go So, none of you think any of the ~17 year olds are prodigious talents?

Last edited by Hangaroo : 12-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Hangaroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #37
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I don't think that's the best comparison at all. Those players had far more ability than the current 4 mentioned. They also achieved a lot of success at an early age.
You're taking the comparison literally, whereas I mean it principally. I'm not arguing that any one of them are going to end up as multi-major champions (Kuerten) or even that they'll match the success of someone like Moya. I'm simply saying they're not going to be the dominant generation people are hoping for.

As you've pointed out, they've already missed the boat on making serious inroads early. By the time the current regime begins to die out, the younger talent should be ready to pick up where they left off. Jerzy et al. may never be the alphas of any era, just as the former group never were between the Sampras and Federer era.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.

Last edited by BackhandDTL : 12-25-2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Gramma'
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #38
country flag a1canada

a1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond repute

Milos was the 5th best in the world on hardcourts in 2013 with a 36-12 record, dimitrov had a huge win on clay vs djokovic, and jerzy had a great run on grass at wim, so as much as people like to hate, it seems like those 3 started to make there move in 2013, tomic well thats another story, he is more then capable, but not yet committed.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #39
country flag Hangaroo

Hangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Bump. What does MTF think now? Do Grigor, Raonic, Kei and Jerzy have enough time to rack up the slams?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #40
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangaroo View Post
Bump. What does MTF think now? Do Grigor, Raonic, Kei and Jerzy have enough time to rack up the slams?
Props on the sly Kei for Tomic switcharoo. Janowicz must have survived your purge by a hairs breadth.

Yeah, it's only a matter of time before we see that 2001/2002 style changing of the guard.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #41
country flag Hangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Props on the sly Kei for Tomic switcharoo. Janowicz must have survived your purge by a hairs breadth.

Yeah, it's only a matter of time before we see that 2001/2002 style changing of the guard.
Tough times indeed. The shortest ATP match didn't help his cause
Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #42
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

My dad actually said to during Wimbledon 'There's a lot of exciting young players coming through now, huh?'

Raonic, Dimitrov, Kyrgios is who he was talking about - so, next gen Federer, Nadal and DJokovic? I doubt it very much.

We're heading for another Hewitt, JCF, Johansson, Safin period

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #43
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Janowicz will rise.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #44
country flag Fed=ATPTourkilla

Fed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
My dad actually said to during Wimbledon 'There's a lot of exciting young players coming through now, huh?'

Raonic, Dimitrov, Kyrgios is who he was talking about - so, next gen Federer, Nadal and DJokovic? I doubt it very much.

We're heading for another Hewitt, JCF, Johansson, Safin period
This is a bit of an insult to some of these players. Hewitt world no 1 age 18 including owning the previous GOAT, Sampras, before he was 30. Safin world no 1 and US Open champion at age 20, also destroying Sampras. All of Dimitrov, Raonic and company are still bending for 33 year old Federer, let alone Nadal and Djokovic.
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #45
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Brit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Janowicz will rise.
The delusion is strong in this one.
Brit Tennis Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote