Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are we witnessing a lost generation?

Absolutely Yes. Coric and co. will arrive and own every previous gen. 8 15.69%
Yes. Coric and co. will be ready to rule only after the big 4 depart. 16 31.37%
Absolutely No. Jerzy and co. will crush big 4 soon and the next gen too.. 5 9.80%
No. Jerzy and co. will rule for a while before Coric and co. arrive. 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
country flag Roo

Roo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond reputeRoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation?

They still have time, there is nothing to suggest these guys cant win a slam in the future yet. They have all had a degree of success, whether that is winning 250s, beating top players, or making M1000 finals or GS QF/SFs. They could all be entrenched in the top 20 by the end of 2014, who knows.

I agree that the 85-86 generation has arguably suffered more in terms of success, but they have also not been bounced out yet by younger players.
Cilic Kyrgios Kokkinakis Youzhny

Past Player: Rafter Kucera Arazi El Aynaoui Kuerten Bjorkman Clement
Roo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
country flag Greco

Greco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov - Next No.1
CRO Tomic - Top 10
Raonic - TOP 10
Janowicz -

Borna Coric -> next GOAT !

Touch me, touch me, don't be shy, I'll lay down face up this time, under you like a G.U.Y.

Croatian Tennis on facebook★
Greco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #18
country flag a1canada

a1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMOS!! View Post
Even though I want him to, I don't think Tomic will do anything. He's spending as much time partying as he is training (possibly more time partying).

I think Jerzy, Milos & Grigor are slowly coming into their games, and will do some big things in the next two years.

Vesely has yet to do much on the main tour level, while Kyrgios qualified out of nowhere for the French Open & won a round, before qualifying for the US Open and putting in a respectable performance against Ferrer. But I think it will be another 3-4 years before any of their generation becomes a serious factor.
Tennis would be very exciting in 2014 if grigor, milos and jerzy took another step forward, and all became top 10 , along with some of the 20-21 year olds to become top 30, 18-19 yr olds top 50-100.

Unfortunitely it has been very tough for this to happen, we can all see the potential, but the old guys just seem to refuse to decline, much better training/trainers/coaches/diets, and lets say supplements have changed the break thru until 23-25 in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic's game is too limited, Janowicz is too injury prone, Tomic's family has destroyed his career and Dimitrov is an enormous choker. Still, these could all be overcome and once this generation is done for good, they might have some chances before the next one arrives.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

It's very possible that they end up like Kuerten/Grosjean/Moya/Philippoussis, etc. Present, threatening, successful; but not so dominant.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
country flag ClutchOnandWin
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangaroo View Post
People have argued about reasons for the delayed (and impending) arrival of the next-gen players: tennis is too physical these days, big 4 are too good, next-gen players are just not good enough, surface homogenization etc. The current situation:

Rafa, Nole, Andy and Fed (2013 aside) are still going strong.

Jerzy, Milos, Grigor, Tomic are still trying to make their name.

Khachanov, Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Vesely, Quinzi, Garin, Coric are taking baby steps.

Do you think we are seeing a lost generation of tennis talent with Kyrgios, Coric and co. ready to take over by the time Big 4 leave the game or will the intermediate generation get their time under the sun?
Krgios, Coric and co ready to take over? What makes you think they're ready to take over? They've done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Coric hasn't even one a match at ATP tour level and you entertaining the thought of them being ready just in time to take over from the big flipping 4? Are you serious bro? There's not even that much hype surrounding these 2 player's, so what makes you believe they'll be successful at atp tour level. Kriogos has some weapons, but it's still too early to say anything, we have to see how his backhand comes on, otherwise he'll be exposed on that wing like Tsonga has been all his career. Coric doesn't have any weapons as of yet but is still developing. I am astounded you can suggest these are the player's who'll be ready to step in the moment the top 4 are hitting 32+. Genuinely astounded.

Anyway. The reason isn't only fitness but I believe it's years of "priceless, uncoachable and unattainable" experience on the tour and learning at the very most prestigous level. By prestigous I mean the latter parts of grandslams, those experiences you pick up from semi finals and finals at grandslams and masters events are simply priceless and something all parts of the top 4 picked up at a fairly young age. This is the reaosn I feel Dimitrov has not blossomed into the player all the media and everybody felt he would do, because he hasn't been "amerced" in high intensity, high tension, edge of your seat, in the heat of strenuous battle moments. Without that experience you can see he lacks that extra matchplay edge. He's not a good matchplayer.

As for Raonic and Jerzy. Well again, I'm confused. Raonic has only really ever recently improved his return of serve to even be considered to be a genuine, real prospect and Jerzy broke onto the scene as a late bloomer reaching the masters final in Paris. Since he's reached a Wimbledon semi final. So I'm not quite sure what you're expecting of him? Big ballstrikers like Raonic and Jerzy are always going to find it rather difficult to breakthrough and enter the top 8 player's in the world. You need a rallyball to be a consistent all-year around player, they lack that, particularly Jerzy. They lack a distinct amount of movement which they try to compensate for with their long reach. Their games are based around being "hot" if they're hot they can compete with the big boys, but if they're "cold" they are in trouble. That is essentially the difference, these player's whom have the great movement combined with weapons in their game can still come through matches where they may not be particularly doing what they do best. The likes of Jerzy Janowicz partiuclarly as an example, simply cannot do that, the bloke relies on clutch big serving on second serves, low margin for errors forehands that clean the lines. It's just not realistic to see this guy competing with the top 4 guys on a consistent basis because he does not have the movement and thus will need to keep a lowmargin for error game up continuously and that is bloody hard.

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe what planet half of you guys are actually living on. Tomic has never been anything special, he has no weaopons and I am seriously saying this as in impartial view, despite the fact I dislike him. He has no weapons, his game is successful against the player's whom find it akward to play against. He absorbs power and can generate a decent powered backhand, good decent slice serve and his slice and awkward strokes are mostly only effective on the grass, which covers one month of the tennis season for which he could fit 3 tournaments in, tops.

Don't buy into media hype guys.

People that make excuses for him by saying his dad has disrupted his rythm for development are also deluded too. The guy would have achieved marginally better results from the last year, but nothing to degree by which we could say he has as much ability and thus prospect as dimitrov.

He won Sydney. Who did he beat in the semi-final? Seppi? Final? Anderson.

Wimbledon, at his favourite slam on his favourite surface. Beat Querrey who was in poor form and had a dispicable 2013 and ousted Gasquet, whom always stands far too back behind the baseline. Then got overpowered comprehensively by Berdych in the next round.

Literally, he's had one good run at wimbledon a couple of years back and people believe he's something of a spark, he's really not and he's nothing lost to any generation IMO.

From the names you've mentioned OP, the only player I can see as really justifying this tag you've thrown out there, "lost generation" is... Dimitrov. He's a stinkingly bad matchplayer. The rest are late bloomers, Jerzy and Raonic and I don't think you can start making unrealistic, far fetched calls on a few couple of decent youngsters at challenger and itf level to come through and be ready to snatch over the baton right now. It's just an unviable call.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
It's very possible that they end up like Kuerten/Grosjean/Moya/Philippoussis, etc. Present, threatening, successful; but not so dominant.
I don't think that's the best comparison at all. Those players had far more ability than the current 4 mentioned. They also achieved a lot of success at an early age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Banned!

Quote:
I don't think that's the best comparison at all. Those players had far more ability than the current 4 mentioned. They also achieved a lot of success at an early age.
lol

It's amazing how much youngsters can get talked about from achieving nothing.

Coric hasn't even won a junior grandslam. Mind you, nor has Kryigos for that matter? ...but atleast he's done something on tour.

Coric lost to Uchyama in the ITF's and choked away a tiebreak and subsequently the match, against the one dimensional, even I could beat from the baseline, Herbert. (In an itf event just prior)

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
lol

It's amazing how much youngsters can get talked about from achieving nothing.

Coric hasn't even won a junior grandslam. Mind you, nor has Kryigos for that matter? ...but atleast he's done something on tour.

Coric lost to Uchyama in the ITF's and choked away a tiebreak and subsequently the match, against the one dimensional, even I could beat from the baseline, Herbert. (In an itf event just prior)
Australian Open.

I was talking about the players in the title, not others.
Quote:
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Banned!

I know. My post wasn't in response to yours, just wanted your view on mtf'ers hyping up these boys whom haven't even hit tennis puberty or achieved anything mildly impressive to suggest they'll be something special in years to come.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
country flag chili

chili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis_lv View Post
I think that "lost generation" applies more to the Wawrinka/Gasquet/Monfils/Tsonga generation. They're the ones who got denied most by the Rafa/Fed/Nole stranglehold.

The Raonic/Janowicz/Tomic/Dimitrov generation could have more time to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
They still have time, there is nothing to suggest these guys cant win a slam in the future yet. They have all had a degree of success, whether that is winning 250s, beating top players, or making M1000 finals or GS QF/SFs. They could all be entrenched in the top 20 by the end of 2014, who knows.

I agree that the 85-86 generation has arguably suffered more in terms of success, but they have also not been bounced out yet by younger players.
Not the same thing. There was hardly any moment Wawrinka, Tsonga, Berdych, Monfils where considered the best young players like Janowicz, Raonic and Dimitrov are now. There where always older and younger players simply better than them. Federer, Roddick, Davydenko, Soderling, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro and others in between. Not the same thing like I said.

BTW why is everybody forgetting Nishikori?
chili is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
country flag Andrej

Andrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Tomic and co. were just waiting for the big 4 to retire.
On a serious note, I think at least one of thesse 4 players will win a slam. They'll probably reach their prime when the big 3 or 4 will be past it, I still find it difficulties imagining them dominating even 30-31 year olds Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, but they will snatch some slams.
Andrej is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

3 of them are in top 25 at 22-23yo, so it's funny to talk about the as lost generation.

They'd be that if they don't get a Slam within 3-4 years. Which is going to happen anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
country flag Crustaceok

Crustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond reputeCrustaceok has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's still too early to think about them as the lost generation, but at this point of their careers they should have at least one Masters 1000 for example if they want to dominate in some moment.

'95-'98 generation seems to be much better and promising, I think Kyrgios, Coric, perhaps Khachanov and hopefully Garin will dominate when Nole, Andy and Rafa are gone. Will Dimitrov and co achieve a GS trophy? I think it depends mostly of what longer the big 4 will last.

Garin - Lama - Jarry - Podlipnik - Malla

Tennis Tipping (actual/best)
Singles: 100/100 - W: Tianjin CH, Prague-2 CH, San Juan Fut / RU: Rovinj Fut, Gimcheon CH
Doubles (w/Chilenaitor): 122/122 - W: Kyoto CH, Samarkand CH / RU: Rimouski CH, Vicenza CH, Segovia CH, Bucharest Fut
Crustaceok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote