Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are we witnessing a lost generation?

Absolutely Yes. Coric and co. will arrive and own every previous gen. 8 15.69%
Yes. Coric and co. will be ready to rule only after the big 4 depart. 16 31.37%
Absolutely No. Jerzy and co. will crush big 4 soon and the next gen too.. 5 9.80%
No. Jerzy and co. will rule for a while before Coric and co. arrive. 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
country flag Hangaroo

Hangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond reputeHangaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation?

People have argued about reasons for the delayed (and impending) arrival of the next-gen players: tennis is too physical these days, big 4 are too good, next-gen players are just not good enough, surface homogenization etc. The current situation:

Rafa, Nole, Andy and Fed (2013 aside) are still going strong.

Jerzy, Milos, Grigor, Tomic are still trying to make their name.

Khachanov, Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Vesely, Quinzi, Garin, Coric are taking baby steps.

Do you think we are seeing a lost generation of tennis talent with Kyrgios, Coric and co. ready to take over by the time Big 4 leave the game or will the intermediate generation get their time under the sun?
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jerzy, Milos, Grigor and Tomic - The lost generation?

Raonic won't do anything, I'll tell you that now. Servebots do not win slams.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

We just gonna have to wait and see what's going on
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

I think that "lost generation" applies more to the Wawrinka/Gasquet/Monfils/Tsonga generation. They're the ones who got denied most by the Rafa/Fed/Nole stranglehold.

The Raonic/Janowicz/Tomic/Dimitrov generation could have more time to themselves.
nellis_lv is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
country flag Coolio_Jack

Coolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond repute

Kyrgios wont be dominating anything, thats for sure.
Coolio_Jack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
country flag rus59

rus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond repute

i hope the latter happens. they still have time
rus59 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
country flag a1canada

a1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Raonic won't do anything, I'll tell you that now. Servebots do not win slams.
How did I know you'd attack Raonic as soon as you seen his name ? He mentioned 10 possible future players, and all you see is Raonic!

Just because you don't like his game doesn't mean he won't improve and succeed(being the highest ranked at his age, he's already improved over his age class), and maybe he won't, what's the big deal, you have to attack every time you see his name?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Lost generation in that they won't be all time greats, but given their current level it would take a near miracle to not see them dominate for a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaspin View Post
You are jar jar binks.
Police Of Mind is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1canada View Post
How did I know you'd attack Raonic as soon as you seen his name ? He mentioned 10 possible future players, and all you see is Raonic!

Just because you don't like his game doesn't mean he won't improve and succeed(being the highest ranked at his age, he's already improved over his age class), and maybe he won't, what's the big deal, you have to attack every time you see his name?
It's not every time...like 80% max.

Servebotting should not be tolerated.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
country flag a1canada

a1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond reputea1canada has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is absolutely more physical now, which is great, teenagers can no longer get instant gratification, and have to earn there careers, like in all other walks of life!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1canada View Post
Tennis is absolutely more physical now, which is great, teenagers can no longer get instant gratification, and have to earn there careers, like in all other walks of life!
Which is fair enough, that doesn't seem to be drilled in to the likes of Tomic and Sock though. It's always been the case tbh. Look at Hewitt at just 20. A machine that would put these guys to shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaspin View Post
You are jar jar binks.
Police Of Mind is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
country flag streetballdude

streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Neither should pushing, but that's tennis for you.
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's a good thing your favourite player is an excitement machine then.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangaroo View Post
People have argued about reasons for the delayed (and impending) arrival of the next-gen players: tennis is too physical these days, big 4 are too good, next-gen players are just not good enough, surface homogenization etc. The current situation:

Rafa, Nole, Andy and Fed (2013 aside) are still going strong.

Jerzy, Milos, Grigor, Tomic are still trying to make their name.

Khachanov, Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Vesely, Quinzi, Garin, Coric are taking baby steps.

Do you think we are seeing a lost generation of tennis talent with Kyrgios, Coric and co. ready to take over by the time Big 4 leave the game or will the intermediate generation get their time under the sun?
Keep trying to make Federer relevant
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #15
country flag VAMOS!!

VAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond reputeVAMOS!! has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I want him to, I don't think Tomic will do anything. He's spending as much time partying as he is training (possibly more time partying).

I think Jerzy, Milos & Grigor are slowly coming into their games, and will do some big things in the next two years.

Vesely has yet to do much on the main tour level, while Kyrgios qualified out of nowhere for the French Open & won a round, before qualifying for the US Open and putting in a respectable performance against Ferrer. But I think it will be another 3-4 years before any of their generation becomes a serious factor.
TITLES
SINGLES: 2014 Nottingham CH
DOUBLES: 2014 Poitiers Futures (w/Derevko)

Baghdatis ~ Dimitrov ~ Dolgopolov ~ Duckworth ~ Federer ~ Groth ~ Gulbis ~ Hewitt ~ Kokkinakis ~ Kubler
Kyrgios ~ Matosevic ~ Millman ~ Mitchell ~ Saville ~ Thompson ~ Tomic ~ Verdasco ~ Wawrinka
VAMOS!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote