Ferrer doesn't think he can win slam - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferrer doesn't think he can win slam

David Querrey.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
It's only realistic. He's a mentally tough grinder playing a spanish percentage style, lots of netclearance and margin for error game. He knows this. He;s self aware and has maximised every last drop of his limited talent to achieve the most he could, which was a masters series title and a grandslam final with a good draw on his favourite surface.
Lol, Ferrer with a lot of net clearance, hahaha. That one is good. Ferrer hits close to the tape, that is why when he is sloppy an playing badly most of his shots doesn't even go over the net. People think just because he is a grinder, he is like Nadal. And Ferrer doesn't even play like Nadal, he is an aggressive counterpuncher.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
David Querrey.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #34
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Johnny. Are you for real mate? You feel if Ferrer could close off rallies with coming to the net to put away vollies, that it would make all the difference in him becoming grandslam champion? What about a serious weapon? Rafa, Andy, Novak and Roger all have their weapons, Ferrer's forehand is not devastating enough to help him in particular situations. It's now at a point by which if either of those 4 play to a good level, Ferrer can do nothing about it.

What is happening during christmas? Even the usually sensible posters are making stupid remarks?
He only can do nothing if he believes he can do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
He should have said i still hope i can, this is his problem again the big 4, he is already beaten even before he stepped into the court.
Yup.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #35
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
Lol, Ferrer with a lot of net clearance, hahaha. That one is good. Ferrer hits close to the tape, that is why when he is sloppy an playing badly most of his shots doesn't even go over the net. People think just because he is a grinder, he is like Nadal. And Ferrer doesn't even play like Nadal, he is an aggressive counterpuncher.
I never said Ferrer plays like Nadal mate. He does use netclearance topspin, but you're right, not as much as other grinders. The thing he does is pepper and expose a "right handers backhand" with excessively going insideout with his forehand. So hitting a forehand from the backhand side of the court and going diagonally crosscourt. He does this robotically, time after time after time, well drilled and with a lot of margin for error as it's less harder to make a mistake with the forehand when you're going crosscourt with it right?

My point basically is, is he has a one pace, one style inside out forehand that is the catalyist for his every victory. It posseses not enough power to beat the top guys. He drags player's outwide with this insideout forehand, drawing the short ball and eventually topspins that shortball into the open court or downtheline with his opponent slightly out of position.

Whatever the case, Ferrer is a grinder but he likes dictating proceedings. He manipulates the ball over the court using his forehand, but he can't do this against the best guys and especially against the guys that "do not allow him to dictate". There is a very distinct and clear reason as to why Federer leads the head to head vs Ferrer 15-0 or something stupid like that and it is because Ferrer never is able to play dictator and get his forehand into the dictating proceedings.
Tennis is a battle of not only skill and tactics but also character, a test of one's character, a bit like poker in a way, when to stick and when to take that risk. It’s about keeping your head in the tough, pressure cooker situations and to capitalise when you have got some momentum going.

In tennis there are three types of players, ones with all the talent but lack the character and work ethic, those with all the character and work ethic but are limited in terms of talent and of course those who have it all. An example of a player with all the character, work ethic and talent is Novak Djokovic.
ClutchOnandWin (COaW) Copyright (C)

(Clutch may clown, but he knows )

Last edited by ClutchOnandWin : 12-23-2013 at 11:11 PM.
ClutchOnandWin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #36
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Don't gimme all that it's all in the mind bollocks. Try and watch some talent shows where people come in and audition believing they can sing something and can't sing something.

Belief is all well and good and it can help, hugely, but there's only so far you can run with "belief" and eventually it gets to a point where talent calls. Ferrer doesn't have a single weapon that can hurt anyone of these players and he never will.
Tennis is a battle of not only skill and tactics but also character, a test of one's character, a bit like poker in a way, when to stick and when to take that risk. It’s about keeping your head in the tough, pressure cooker situations and to capitalise when you have got some momentum going.

In tennis there are three types of players, ones with all the talent but lack the character and work ethic, those with all the character and work ethic but are limited in terms of talent and of course those who have it all. An example of a player with all the character, work ethic and talent is Novak Djokovic.
ClutchOnandWin (COaW) Copyright (C)

(Clutch may clown, but he knows )
ClutchOnandWin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #37
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Could have won AO 2011, RG this year, and even made the final at Wimbledon last year
He isn't as far behind as he thinks. Yeah he's a step behind the rest physically, but mental is his biggest problem.

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #38
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post

Yup.
Ferrer and Querrey lacking hugely in belief department yet in the top 30 of the game.

On the other hand, 24-year old pizza-delivery star from Florida believes he can arouse the tennis world with his Nadal-like FH and Robredo like BH, winning multiple slams.

Any problem can be found?
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Could have won AO 2011, RG this year, and even made the final at Wimbledon last year
He isn't as far behind as he thinks. Yeah he's a step behind the rest physically, but mental is his biggest problem.
I'm not a hater but he reached the 2011 AO SF because Nadal was injured (he really was injured there it's not an excuse) and didn't play bad against Murray but i don't count that as close to winning the title...

RG this year, took advantage of a good draw, got destroyed in the final

And when did Ferrer reach the Wimbledon final?
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #40
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
I'm not a hater but he reached the 2011 AO SF because Nadal was injured (he really was injured there it's not an excuse) and didn't play bad against Murray but i don't count that as close to winning the title...

The REAL Wimbledon final. He even took one more set from the reigning Wimby champ than Djokovic did.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #41
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He means in 2012 Ferrer had a close match against Murray, and thinks he would have a good chance against Tsonga.

RG we all saw what happened and wouldn't have been different had he faced Nole.

Winning AO 2011, even a bigger joke.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

And neither does anyone else.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's only realistic. He's a mentally tough grinder playing a spanish percentage style, lots of netclearance and margin for error game. He knows this. He;s self aware and has maximised every last drop of his limited talent to achieve the most he could, which was a masters series title and a grandslam final with a good draw on his favourite surface.
Has you ever watched play Ferru mate?

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #44
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

This is nothing to worry about, if he said he doesn't think he can beat Almagro anymore......
Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #45
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

RG this year is being remembered as quite a bit less competitive than it was- probably because it was apparent Ferrer didn't have it in him mentally to win. But Ferrer had his chances in the 1st set and had BP to serve for the 3rd.
He did probably get a bit lucky with Nadal's injury in AO 11 (though he played very well that match anyway and is always a danger to Nadal on HC) but he had set point for 2-0 on Murray in that semifinal and missed a difficult return where he guessed very heavily.
Re: Wimbledon He choked very badly serving for 2-0 sets in the Wimbledon QF and also had set point on which he missed a difficult return (again) , would've had Tsonga in the SF and I think he would have won that the way he played Roddick, del Potro and Murray. Doubt he'd have beat Federer in the final though.

Don't know what people are talking about re: net clearance. The fact his backhand has zero net clearance is one of his biggest problems.

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote