UPDATE: Lively balls for AO 2014. Courts quick too. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #61
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lively balls for AO 2014

Woodbridge really stepping out on a limb by calling the balls a “little” lively. Could of just manned-up and called them lively—but then he’d have to endure closer scrutiny. NID that an obscure local freelance “sports writer” would conspire with Woody, and go for his 15 minutes of off-season fame on MTF with this authoritative statement: “it's the balls that could decide January's winner.”

Pretty dramatic stuff for balls which are “kind of” (like maybe) lively. So who’s Ben McKay on MTF? JoWilly or Slade?

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 12-23-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #62
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Woodbridge really stepping out on a limb by calling the balls a “little” lively. Could of just manned-up and called them lively—but then he’d have to endure closer scrutiny. NID that an obscure local freelance “sports writer” would conspire with Woody, and go for his 15 minutes of off-season fame on MTF with this authoritative statement: “it's the balls that could decide January's winner.”

Pretty dramatic stuff for balls which are “kind of” (like maybe) lively. So who’s Ben McKay on MTF? JoWilly or Slade?
I think it's true, the balls could decide January's winner, but not the balls that they have changed, they'll be irrelevant, what will make a difference will be the balls that the players take with them to the court from day 1... I'm giving the edge to the man with titanium balls, we all know who he is.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #63
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I think it's true, the balls could decide January's winner, but not the balls that they have changed, they'll be irrelevant, what will make a difference will be the balls that the players take with them to the court from day 1... I'm giving the edge to the man with titanium balls, we all know who he is.
Yep, Djoker has a pimp-like swagger in Australia. Rafito will need more than "kind of lively" balls to get the job done.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #64
country flag ClutchOnandWin
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I believe the OZ's assumption is a bit off, coz lively balls doesn't equal automatic Rafa advantage in my book.

Lively balls means more advantage for serve and flat striking, while slower balls means more retrieved balls and less serve advantage, which is what the main guys' advantage comes from.

More lively balls sounds to me as advantage for serve bots, aggressive players and technical shot makers, so Todd's assumption might be actually wrong.

If i had to chose the balls to play a solid retriever, i'd take the fasted balls possible, so i can put him under pressure starting with the serve and take advantage a bit easier from longer rallies, where taking the BH on the rise puts him a bit in uncomfortable position.

coz with fluffier dead balls there's nothing an attacking player can do against a very good retriever.
You're confusing lively balls with fast balls man. I think Todd Woodbridge, a doubles legend with multiple grandslams has a litte more clarity on this than you and I can vouch for it.

It's quite ironic, what you've said in bold is "EXACTLY" the "OPPOSITE" to how matters actually are. Fluffier balls mean it requires a greater amount of effort to generate revolutions on the ball. You cannot put much topspin on a tennis ball that has fluff around it because the fluff surrounding the balls surface makes the ball less "aerodynamic". This basically means whilst it's travelling in a circular (Revolutions) motion through the air, doing 360 degree spins over and over, the fluff sticks out and catches the air slowing the ball's rotations down. Fluffy balls may allow player's with a less attacking game to grind out points, but they're not good for those that use huge amounts of topspin. Again, lively refers to the amount of action the ball has when making contact with the surface with spin on it. They don't refer to how fast the ball travels through the air which would help those with flatter groundstrokes.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #65
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Infact what proves I am right and that Nadal prefers "livelier" balls to "fluffier" ones are the events that occured at the 2012 French Open final.

Does anyone genuinely know why Rafael Nadal wanted off the court when it was drizzling? Anybody? Well it was because the rain was causing the balls to fluff up and Djokovic was not being faced with as much hard topspin from Nadal's shots. His shots were dropping 3/4 lentgh to the baseline but not picking up the same topspin, so Djokovic was able to strike at balls which wernt jumping up at him whatsoever. The more bounces the ball's took, the more fluffier they became, not to forget the ballboys/ballgirls making matters worse after rolling the balls across the clay to transport them back to the serving end. Oh and let's not forget the amount of times Djokovic bounces the ball before serving.

LOL!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #66
Banned!

Watch the 3rd and 4th sets back, the rain was helping Djokovic dominate Rafa and Rafa was absolutely livid that the organising team were suggesting they carried on. Reason he even came through and won in 5 sets in 2012 in the end was because the rain got so bad they had to come off for the next day.

Had they continued with fluffier balls, Novak would have won, I am in no doubt about that. Not many realise or talk about this.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #67
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
Watch the 3rd and 4th sets back, the rain was helping Djokovic dominate Rafa and Rafa was absolutely livid that the organising team were suggesting they carried on. Reason he even came through and won in 5 sets in 2012 in the end was because the rain got so bad they had to come off for the next day.

Had they continued with fluffier balls, Novak would have won, I am in no doubt about that. Not many realise or talk about this.
If you had been registered here at the time, you'd have seen plenty of comments.....
vBookie net amount won: 23284 (2014: +16589, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 90, TT doubles rank 100.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #68
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
If you had been registered here at the time, you'd have seen plenty of comments.....
Then why are there muppets out there that think fluffier balls help Nadal? Are they stupid?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #69
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then why are there muppets out there that think fluffier balls help Nadal? Are they stupid?
I do not wish to answer for anyone else, you'd have to ask them directly. I just mentioned that I can recall a lot of comments in the aftermath of that match. Exactly who said what I cannot recall.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #70
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe Djokovic also caught momentum and wouldn't let that go, but we will never know if the conditions also helped or if it was just the momentum that started to favour Djokovic.
No need to call people stupid, quite the contrary. This conversation is pretty interesting and not devoid of sense.

Smoking the Rosmalen grass
and rolling in the Stuttgart silt.

> Patron Saint of MTF's collective Desire <
MachineGun is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #71
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun View Post
Maybe Djokovic also caught momentum and wouldn't let that go, but we will never know if the conditions also helped or if it was just the momentum that started to favour Djokovic.
No need to call people stupid, quite the contrary. This conversation is pretty interesting and not devoid of sense.
No, this was 100% down to the fluffy nature of the balls. Without sounding a show off, I have to mention I did study sport and exercise science and we ofcourse covered the biomechanics in both team and individual sport. Racquet technology and ball speed were covered in tennis. Whilst watching that final I placed a bet on Novak to win the third set the moment the umpire signalled for play to be continuous during the drizzle.

It's common sense as well if you think about it, fluffy balls don't suit Nadal as it's harder to make them rotate. Simple. Wasn't Novak also a break up in the fourth? Yes I believe he was and then the play was cancelled for the day, next day they arrive back, the new balls come in and the balance of power between the two on a claycourt is restored.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #72
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I do not wish to answer for anyone else, you'd have to ask them directly. I just mentioned that I can recall a lot of comments in the aftermath of that match. Exactly who said what I cannot recall.
Well they would be right, rain helped Novak because it basically took away what makes Nadal, Nadal. His forehand topspin.

I think Novak won something stupid amount of games in a row and points.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #73
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
Yes - must be the guy who saves 3 break points being 0-40 down in the 3rd set of the USO. Pretty funny if Novak fans think their man is more clutch - over the course of their career that has always been Nadal - not Smashovic. Heck even this year he ran into the net - let's not mention other such moments in years past.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #74
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Yes - must be the guy who saves 3 break points being 0-40 down in the 3rd set of the USO. Pretty funny if Novak fans think their man is more clutch - over the course of their career that has always been Nadal - not Smashovic. Heck even this year he ran into the net - let's not mention other such moments in years past.
Sorry. I think you are in the same boat as Kdeifeuigab or whatever her name is.

My advice to you is this. Find a pretty, talentless boyband you like, I would suggest one direction and make them your heartthrobe's obsession instead.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #75
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Well they would be right, rain helped Novak because it basically took away what makes Nadal, Nadal. His forehand topspin.

I think Novak won something stupid amount of games in a row and points.
He won eight games in a row, yes, as far as I know Nadal's second longest game losing streak on clay.

My question is why you claim there is no discussion of this point without checking first.