Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Djokovic and Nadal be regarded as equally best players in 2013?

Yes 21 17.07%
No 95 77.24%
I don't know 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #61
country flag NADALRECORD
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 508
NADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond reputeNADALRECORD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Nadal's "hole" in his resume is supposed to be weeks ranked #1....and yet, Nadal has been ranked #1 for more weeks than Djokovic....and Nadal has more year-ending #1s than Djokovic. You know you are great when your weakness is better than your rival's strength!
NADALRECORD is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,902
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Why does ATP ranking takes into account how deep players go in tournaments?
Because the further a player goes in a tournament, the greater his achievement is. Reaching more rounds requires beating more players, and generally the quality of the opposition increases with each successive round. If we didn't have such a system, either everyone would receive no points for finishing a "runner up", or they would all receive the same points - in both cases there would be no meaningful way of ranking "non-winners".

At the same time tournaments exist to establish one single best player. Winning is qualitatively different from coming runner up, because it represents a victory over the field. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't need to have finals at all. We could give the finalists equal points, and they could go home and have a rest.

Because of this, there is a sense in which going deep in tournaments does not make up for a failure to win titles. Djokovic could make the final of every tournament he played, and be the number one in the world, losing every one of those finals to the same group of players. He would be "mathematically" no worse off than he is now, but I think we would struggle to claim he was the best player, and Djokovic and his fans would prefer to exchange going deep in tournaments with actual title wins.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #63
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 275
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
A "hole" in his resume? Then not winning any of the other slams and losing in more masters what kind of "hole" is that?
Holes in resume are very poor results. Djokovic's worst result is the loss in the second round at Madrid Masters but that's not comparable to Nadal's loss in the first round of Wimbledon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Because the further a player goes in a tournament, the greater his achievement is. Reaching more rounds requires beating more players, and generally the quality of the opposition increases with each successive round. If we didn't have such a system, either everyone would receive no points for finishing a "runner up", or they would all receive the same points - in both cases there would be no meaningful way of ranking "non-winners".

At the same time tournaments exist to establish one single best player. Winning is qualitatively different from coming runner up, because it represents a victory over the field. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't need to have finals at all. We could give the finalists equal points, and they could go home and have a rest.

Because of this, there is a sense in which going deep in tournaments does not make up for a failure to win titles. Djokovic could make the final of every tournament he played, and be the number one in the world, losing every one of those finals to the same group of players. He would be "mathematically" no worse off than he is now, but I think we would struggle to claim he was the best player, and Djokovic and his fans would prefer to exchange going deep in tournaments with actual title wins.
But ATP ranking is designed to determine who is the best player.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #64
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,902
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
But ATP ranking is designed to determine who is the best player.
Who does the ATP ranking say was the best player in 2013?
Singularity is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #65
country flag tribalfusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,455
tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Holes in resume are very poor results
So a guy who finishes in the semis or finals every time but doesn't win a single tournament is to be preferred to a guy with several masters and slams hypothetically?

Tell me how many people you think would agree with your new standard for measuring performance and "holes"

Hint: no one with a brain who wasn't trolling would even consider that for a moment.

No one cared that Roger had made many finals of the French Open; he had a "hole on his resume" until he won it.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #66
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 275
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Who does the ATP ranking say was the best player in 2013?
ATP is not the only tennis's governing body. ITF, too, determines who is the best player, and in their opinion Djokovic is the best player in 2013. But both ATP and ITF, unlike you, take into account how deep players go in tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
So a guy who finishes in the semis or finals every time but doesn't win a single tournament is to be preferred to a guy with several masters and slams hypothetically?
But Novak is not "a guy who finishes in the semis or finals every time but doesn't win a single tournament".

Last edited by 5555 : 12-29-2013 at 01:02 PM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #67
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,902
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
ATP is not the only tennis's governing body. ITF, too, determines who is the best player, and in their opinion Djokovic is the best player in 2013.
My understanding is that the ITF primarily takes into account performances in the Grand Slams and Davis Cup, which it runs. The ATP takes into account both and gives the Grand Slams double the number of points. Even with this extreme weighting Nadal finished the year no.1 with around 800 points. You have not suggested an alternative rankings system. Perhaps now would be a good time to do this.

Quote:
But both ATP and ITF, unlike you, take into account how deep players go in tournaments.
I have said that a mathematical ranking system cannot always capture the difference between "winning" an event, and coming runner up. I have not said that we should not take into account how deep players go in tournaments. I actually argue the opposite: "If we didn't have such a [ranking] system, either everyone would receive no points for finishing a "runner up", or they would all receive the same points - in both cases there would be no meaningful way of ranking "non-winners". "

In any case, this difference rarely matters, because winners receive an additional 40% of the available points, and it it is very hard to make up the difference by going deep in tournaments.

It is worth noting that players are not ranked based on how many "holes" they have in their resume. Losing early just means you forgo points which can be accumulated elsewhere, as Nadal did.

Last edited by Singularity : 12-29-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #68
country flag JoWilly
Registered User
 
JoWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 39
Posts: 4,054
JoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond reputeJoWilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Injured Darcis destroys fully fit Nadal in Wimbledon first round. Sure sounds like a deserving Champion huh? VAMOS!
Nole's playing worse than he has for many years still got voted player of the year by ITF. Hilarious that Nadal fans were trying to make out his year was so great, it won't even be remembered as one of the top 15 years ever. Numbers don't lie. Some of them even said they thought it was Nadal's best year. That trolling backfired, cos it makes it look like they think this is as good as Dull can get. Intelligent move trolls

Not that ANY of his years can measure up to Nole's 2011, Fed's 2006, Laver's 69 etc. Just look at numbers and figures and say you disagree, make yourself look like an even more obvious trolls. Can't argue with facts
__________________
TSONGA

DJOKOVIC

FEDERER
DEL PO-DIMITROV-MURRAY-WAWRINKA-GASQUET-JANOWICZ-BERDYCH

TENNIS MUG- NADAL= Excuses, bending the rules, fluke 2010, weak clay field, classless celebrations, lucky draws, first player to lose 3 consecutive GS finals to the same man, 3 consecutive losses to players ranked outside 100 at Wimbledon including injured Darcis, only beats injured or UE strewn Djoko or Fed, embarrassed by Stronga. VAMOS!
JoWilly is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
country flag Alex999
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 9,530
Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

what coo-champions? there is only one Champ and his name is Djokovic. Rafito is a clown.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #70
country flag tribalfusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,455
tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
what coo-champions? there is only one Champ and his name is Djokovic. Rafito is a clown.
You definitely have good first hand experience with the clown trade.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #71
country flag tribalfusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,455
tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWilly View Post
Injured Darcis destroys fully fit Nadal in Wimbledon first round. Sure sounds like a deserving Champion huh? VAMOS!
Nole's playing worse than he has for many years still got voted player of the year by ITF. Hilarious that Nadal fans were trying to make out his year was so great, it won't even be remembered as one of the top 15 years ever. Numbers don't lie. Some of them even said they thought it was Nadal's best year. That trolling backfired, cos it makes it look like they think this is as good as Dull can get. Intelligent move trolls

Not that ANY of his years can measure up to Nole's 2011, Fed's 2006, Laver's 69 etc. Just look at numbers and figures and say you disagree, make yourself look like an even more obvious trolls. Can't argue with facts
You are more and more incoherent. Let's just be clear: you think 2 slams and 5 masters is not preferable to Novak's year.

It's simple and it doesn't require blathering about greatest years of all time or your interminable discussions dealing with fans of this or that player.

There isn't a player alive who would prefer Novak's year to Nadal's. You are welcome to your own "preferences" but we all know what you and the other trolls here really think and how your arguments would instantly be reversed were the results to be swapped.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #72
country flag Kyle_Johansen
Registered User
 
Kyle_Johansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Age: 22
Posts: 9,116
Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Nadal was the player of the year, but Novak was a close second.
__________________
Federer fan, writer, tennis player.
Top 10 all-time list (Open Era)
1) Federer 2) Sampras 3) Nadal 4) Laver 5) Borg
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #73
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 275
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
My understanding is that the ITF primarily takes into account performances in the Grand Slams and Davis Cup, which it runs. The ATP takes into account both and gives the Grand Slams double the number of points.
Both ITF and ATP take into account all tournaments but ITF gives more weight to the Grand Slams than ATP http://www.itftennis.com/news/163361.aspx

Quote:
You have not suggested an alternative rankings system. Perhaps now would be a good time to do this.
I suggest ITF's method to determine the best player.

Quote:
I have said that a mathematical ranking system cannot always capture the difference between "winning" an event, and coming runner up.
There is no perfect method.

Quote:
In any case, this difference rarely matters, because winners receive an additional 40% of the available points, and it it is very hard to make up the difference by going deep in tournaments.
But sometimes it does matter.

Quote:
It is worth noting that players are not ranked based on how many "holes" they have in their resume. Losing early just means you forgo points which can be accumulated elsewhere, as Nadal did.
I guess, Nadal would have been declared ITF World Champion if he did not have such poor results at Wimbledon and Australian Open.

Last edited by 5555 : 12-30-2013 at 02:50 PM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #74
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,902
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
I suggest ITF's method to determine the best player.
What ranking system do the ITF use?

Quote:
There is no perfect method.
Then we agree.

Quote:
But sometimes it does matter.
Then we agree.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #75
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 275
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Djokovic and Nadal co-champions for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
What ranking system do the ITF use?
ITF gives more weight to Grand Slams than ATP.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios