Who is the greatest player in the Open Era with one Grand Slam? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest player of the Open Era with one Grand Slam?

Yannick Noah 0 0%
Michael Chang 6 6.82%
Thomas Muster 6 6.82%
Goran Ivanesevic 9 10.23%
Andy Roddick 44 50.00%
Michael Stich 3 3.41%
Juan Carlos Ferrero 1 1.14%
Carlos Moya 2 2.27%
Juan Martin Del Potro 14 15.91%
Pat Cash 1 1.14%
Richard Krajicek 2 2.27%
Petr Korda 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #61
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the greatest player in the Open Era with one Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbery47 View Post
Michael Stich:
-18 tournaments (4X hc, 3X clay, 3X grass, 7X carpet)
-1X Wimbledon, 1X US Open final, 1X French Open final, 1X Aussie Open semi
-1X olympic gold medal double, 1X WTF, 2X Masters, rank number 2 in 1993

He was a serve and volley-player but succesful on all surfaces, which was very unlikely in these days. A reason why I gave hime the vote instead of Roddick, who deserved it aswell, but Stich with the more prestigous wimbledon + olympic gold + WTF and French Open final (roddick was far far away from that) got the edge for me
He was a serve-volleyer with probably the smoothest service motion I've ever seen, but he was also a very good baseliner as well, with an excellent and incredibly versatile backhand. As I said, I can't think a more technically complete player from the 90s than Stich. I think he definitely ranks above Ivanisevic who never reached the semis at either the AO or RG, or Krajicek who never reached another slam final apart from the one he won.

He beat Courier, Edberg and Becker to win his Wimbledon title, beat a peak Sampras in the 1993 YEC final and took out Muster who had won 99 out of his previous 102 matches on clay at RG in 1996

His record in German tournaments was also incredible. He won the title at 7 different German tournaments in 5 different cities on 3 different surfaces.

His main weaknesses were his flaky mentality, and his lack of hunger to achieve more.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

between Muster and Roddick for me, but voted Muster for his legendary comeback after the injury and despite the "legendary" comeback just recently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #63
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
Agreed. It's a shame he decided to go for consistency over power. He tried to develop into an all-court player, but it just was not his style. His best bouts vs. Fed were the ones where he pulled the trigger 24/7.

Wonder what he could have accomplished if he stayed a ball-basher?

Who am I kidding probably nothing more than he has already accomplished
I pretty much agree with this.

I'd point out though that he wasn't much a ball-basher even in the heyday of his power game. At least not in kind with a Blake, Verdasco, Gonzo, etc. He usually had a game-plan with his aggression. At times, I'd say he was akin to a grinder with weapons.

I get why he'd want to be more well-rounded, but it shouldn't have been at the expense of his A game. And the worst part was that much of what he "reinvented" himself with through Connors (backhand dtl, net game) were things he was already developing in his early years before that awful partnership with Goldfine.

Hard to say whether he'd have done much more without the changes, but it's worth mentioning that his best showings in recent years all saw a return of aggression in his game.

But these are just musings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
at Pat Rafter being mentioned in this thread.
I agree, and it's ironic when you consider the circumstances of his wins. The fact that he was highly criticized as a fluke slam winner before going on a tear the following year for that rare Canada/Cinci/USO combo.

Hard to believe any fan of his could mention him without remembering or considering that.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #64
country flag Net Cord

Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond reputeNet Cord has a reputation beyond repute

If we're talking about peak level and versatility, it has to be Stich.

1. Beats PEAK Edberg and PEAK Becker to win Wimbledon in 1991. Best back-to-back wins ever to win a Major.

2. As noted, beat PEAK Muster in 1996 en route to making the French Open final.

3. U.S. Open finalist in 1994, meaning he made Major finals on all 3 surfaces.

4. Won Wimbledon doubles and doubles gold in Barcelona.

5. Goes undefeated to win the 1993 YEC Championship, beating Sampras in the finals.

6. Won the Grand Slam Cup in 1992, beating Edberg, Krajicek, Sampras, and Chang.

7. 5-4 against Sampras, 8-6 against Krajicek, 5-2 against Ivanisevic, 3-2 against Muster, 10-6 against Edberg.

The only knock against Stich is consistency, which goes along with mentality. But in terms of peak level and versatility (grass, clay, hard, singles, doubles), he's clearly the 1 Major GOAT.
Net Cord is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #65
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

When we talk about greatest player measure should be stats and only stats. In this case stats work in Roddick's favor big time so this shouldn't be debatable. Second place is between Chang and Ivanisevic. After comes Stich, like some posters say probably the most talented player among these but really no consistency like those earlier mentioned.

Don't know why people picking Muster and as a reason saying clay dominance . Only two RG finals in era without clay Goats . Why that ranks him above Ivanisevic who had 4 Wimby finals in era of probably the greatest grass court player of all time. He also beat Sampras, Edberg and Becker in Wimbledon. So by the pure stats he was better on grass than Muster was on clay
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #66
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I think Michael Stich is more talented than anyone in the poll, regardless of career achievements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote