French Open! - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #31
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Open!

They were booing him? Were they being very mean to him, or just like... cheering against him?
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #32
country flag kiwifan80
Banned!

kiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG What a crazy match. He actually was down 5-0 (I think) in the 4th set and came back to 4-5. But couldn't hold serve. Amazing effort KIWI!!!!!!!!!!!
kiwifan80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #33
country flag kiwifan80
Banned!

kiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond reputekiwifan80 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pics
kiwifan80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #34
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleternity
They were booing him? Were they being very mean to him, or just like... cheering against him?
They were booing him and quite mean to him and they didn't only cheer for Clément, but rather against Kiwi. But IMO it's to a very big part his own fault, I think he (intentionally or not) egged on the crowd with some of his emotions and he had gestures, C'MONs and fist pumps on celebrating some points. The people probably must have thought it's only show or fake to piss them off because he wanted to show off his good points he made against a French player. And not to forget... he also sweared at bad points and he threw his racket
I'm sure he could/should have solved it better and such behaviour can make you lose badly as well (remember so many times he was upset about something and lost?), but at this day it was his way to protect himself from 14000 people against him and I'm still very glad that he could withstand the pressure and WON.

However, the final point, his first match point was beautifully played at the end and before it was a long rally. After Kiwi won I couldn't hear a c'mon, but he raised his arms towards his box in the stands. This was a great picture

Against Andreev, I normally see the end coming because Andreev is a very good and agressive player when he has a good day. But maybe a miracle happens!

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #35
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
They were booing him and quite mean to him and they didn't only cheer for Clément, but rather against Kiwi. But IMO it's to a very big part his own fault, I think he (intentionally or not) egged on the crowd with some of his emotions and he had gestures, C'MONs and fist pumps on celebrating some points. The people probably must have thought it's only show or fake to piss them off because he wanted to show off his good points he made against a French player. And not to forget... he also sweared at bad points and he threw his racket
I'm sure he could/should have solved it better and such behaviour can make you lose badly as well (remember so many times he was upset about something and lost?), but at this day it was his way to protect himself from 14000 people against him and I'm still very glad that he could withstand the pressure and WON.

However, the final point, his first match point was beautifully played at the end and before it was a long rally. After Kiwi won I couldn't hear a c'mon, but he raised his arms towards his box in the stands. This was a great picture

Against Andreev, I normally see the end coming because Andreev is a very good and agressive player when he has a good day. But maybe a miracle happens!

I saw the attacks on him over in GM It sounds to me like it was a pretty well behaved match for Kiwi seeing things he likes to do sometimes People just look for any reason to attack him, which is something I don't understand. He's always been like this, so why is it a big deal now. *sigh*

I am SOOO happy he held himself together and won it. I was excited he won just for the win, but to then find out how the crowd was to him I am amazed he came back and won it. Normally he loses his brain -- as you know

As far as Andreev is concerned, I'm pulling for a miracle

Old 05-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #36
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

After match oncourt interview of Kiwi with the interviewer of the French TV station that broadcasts from the tournament.

http://roland-garros.france2.fr/tout...sx/arton44.asx

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 05-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #37
country flag kek

kek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the video and pictures. I'm very happy that Nicolas remained calm and fought. Well done! His temper didn't get the best of him

Why am I not seeing Andreev as that big of a threat? I know he got to the finals in Valencia this year but he hasn't done well on clay since then. Nicolas has beat him before on a fast hard court last year. If he can beat him there, surely the slow clay can neutralize Andreev's pace.

I think if Nicolas loses on Saturday will because of the let down after beating Clement and not necessarily Igor's game. Honestly, I don't know much about him so please correct me if he is more of a threat.
kek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:14 AM   #38
country flag Neely
-

Andreev is able to produce awesome power, especially on his forehand. It's going to be a completely different game than to today's against Clément or Karlovic. Karlovic cannot move very well and he is hardly a threat on clay in these conditions. Clément also didn't look like that he hit the balls too well and his groundstrokes weren't SUCH a big threat. But against Andreev I'm expecting a much more difficult match because he can produce good power, especially with his forehand. He's going for a fast play and on a good day this guy can gun Kiwi totally off the court (I fear... I hope I'm wrong), however, if he has a bad one he's not so dangerous and managed to lose to a lot of people this season already. The thing that scares me is that I've seen many more impressive matches on clay of Andreev so far than of Kiwi....

I just hope that something happens... that Andreev catches a bad day, that Kiwi likes Andreev's play (even on clay), that Kiwi is extraordinary... something like that

Old 05-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #39
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi hit 23 aces yesterday.

I nearly forgot that the fans were booing him hard just because he left the court after the 4th set. I mean Djokovic did the same yesterday against Coria - on the same court (with the same fans?) - and he even got a bit applause when he came back.

And it was good to see that Kiwi seemed to have no problem with the heat. He moved well in the 5th set, Clement looked more tired.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #40
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Kiefer is the 4th match on the great court no.1. We can only hope that Coria and Mathieu will be finished earlier on the big courts to get some live coverage of it.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #41
country flag Neely
-

Also if the Giro is tomorrow afternoon again, we can only hope that Robredo and Sanchez take some time in their match until they are finished. Henin and Sveta shouldn't take too much time normally, maybe a combined 3 and a half hours if there are no really long matches.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #42
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely

Thanks for this explanation, Neely . I was over at the Arnaud thread and someone posted about Kiwi being an ass. I only laughed because he's not always the sweetest person. On court and off-court. Oh no...it means he's human

I am kind of surprised that the crowd would be so hostile though. Aren't they aware that Kiwi is half-French (his Mom ). Then again, if he was egging them on then maybe he needed that fire in the belly if NoNo was playing so slow. Kiwi likes to play fast and it bothers the hell out of him to play at a slow pace. I know that I don't need to tell you guys this but just thoughts that I've had. Class has been keeping me away from the boards

RG and last week of class end at the same time

I'm just glad that he didn't lose total concentration along with the match. They didn't show not one point of this match on TV either. It was horrible!! Best match of the day!! Absolutely loved all those photos that came out.

TV coverage will be horrible this weekend so I don't expect to see even a highlight

Go Kiwi!!!!
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:35 AM   #43
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek
Thanks for the video and pictures. I'm very happy that Nicolas remained calm and fought. Well done! His temper didn't get the best of him
That was the most positive news that came out of this match for me. The fact that he didn't seem to get down on himself for long. I'm sure he got pissed at himself but he used it in a positive way (to win) rather than what he's known to do which is gets so pissed that he checks out.

Shoot, I'm still flying high from this win yesterday and now Seb's today. I can barely wrap my head around it that he is playing for a place in the rnd of 16 after how dismal his RG '04 was.
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #44
country flag Neely
-

Yeah, hopefully he will play a more cool-headed match today. I guess that this match against Clément didn't bring him new admirers or fans and I think, to say the least LOL ...and it was bad behaviour to spur on the crowd like he did with some actions (so no surprise the crowd disliked him very much), the positive thing for me was that I still could enjoy him to see fired up like that and leaving the court as a winner against Clément and the whole arena His gesture at the end of the match giving kisses to the crowd à la Agassi was simply very naughty (and I don't believe him this was meant honest ) And after the oncourt interview with the French TV station he waved again into all directions of the arena. Naughty!

Like you said, Katherine: normally he loses such matches!!

Good luck Kiwi for beating Andreev today!!!!!
I would rate Andreev as the favourite here, but how sweet would another win be?! Maybe he surprises us

Last edited by Neely : 05-28-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #45
country flag kek

kek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way you think Neely about Nicolas giving kisses to the crowd after the upset. It was a very develish thing for Nicolas to do. I like it.

I hope for a win today! I won't be able to follow it since i'm playing in my own tennis tournament this weekend. I hope for a win for me too today
kek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote