How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
country flag ClutchOnandWin
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
I don't know if your trolling has decreased or we are seeing eye to eye .

Good post
I've never been a troll. Just an opinionated person that hates it when tennis's "plastic" fans post gibberish.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you rate Djokovic's mental strength between players of Open Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
2 chokes?Maybe 1 and that's debatable
Seriously? I don't know how RG is even remotely debatable, broken back after missing what was literally probably the easiest shot of the entire match, makes Nadal do absolutely nothing to win it in the last game. And didn't he have BP for a double break as well?

US Open, after the usual slow start has absolutely all of the momentum, won the 2nd set, goes up a break in the 3rd, misses a ton of chances for a double break, wastes 0-40 to serve for the set, breaks himself the next game, totally throws the 4th.

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Despite at least 3 questionable performances in slam finals, he'll still go down as top 5 in mental strength. I almost want to say 2011 warps it slightly because he hasn't shown that consistent crushing mentality before or since over a sustained period, but still, he's moving back towards that mentality which is obviously encouraging for his legacy.
Police Of Mind is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
country flag Balthazar

Balthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Seriously? I don't know how RG is even remotely debatable, broken back after missing what was literally probably the easiest shot of the entire match, makes Nadal do absolutely nothing to win it in the last game. And didn't he have BP for a double break as well?

US Open, after the usual slow start has absolutely all of the momentum, won the 2nd set, goes up a break in the 3rd, misses a ton of chances for a double break, wastes 0-40 to serve for the set, breaks himself the next game, totally throws the 4th.
Djokovic should have lost in 3 sets at RG if not for Nadal's choke.I'll give you the 2nd one though.That was disgusting
Balthazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Prior to the end of last year, it was a #1 contender. This year taints it rather badly, two pretty bad GS chokes
This.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #21
Banned!

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Djokovic should have lost in 3 sets at RG if not for Nadal's choke.I'll give you the 2nd one though.That was disgusting
Nadal has won the French Open countless times, there's no reason for him to choke. Go and youtube the semi final between the two. Djokovic was loose and playing with nothing to lose, he became inspired and with that fearless and inspired tennis produced an opportunity to break the bloke's serve and he took it. Novak then rid the momentum and took the set, including the fourth set.

Rafa def did not choke if you watch it back, losing a lead doesn't immediately signify a choke, there's nothing you can do if you're being outplayed. However, if we are acting as though he did, which he clearly didn't, how can the most mentally toughest player ever to grace the game, with (At the time) several french opens, choke serving for the match at 2 sets to love up? lol? Everyone gets nervous, but at 2 sets to love up and 4 points away on your serve from your 8th roland garros crown? There's daylight between you and your opponent, he has no reason to be nervous, particularly, if he is, as you guys say (And I agree) mentally the toughest opponent there's ever been.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Banned!

If you're choking in that situation / position, with the "experience" of having done it 7 times before, how can you choke? Unless, ofcourse, you're not even that mentally tough?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic's mental strength has to be one of the most overrated things in tennis.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!+ Humanitarian world no.1 2014
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #24
country flag Balthazar

Balthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond reputeBalthazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Djokovic's mental strength has to be one of the most overrated things in tennis.
I thought that was Andy Murray's variety
Balthazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #25
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
1. Nadal
2. Sampras
3. Borg
4. Djokovic

I'm only talking about all time greats. There might be some mediocre, mentally stronger players out there.
Sounds about right.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #26
country flag Mong Mong

Mong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond reputeMong Mong has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa's mental fortitude proved to be right after his very disheartening losses to Nole in 2011. I'm so proud that he was able to come back stronger than ever.
As for Nole, I don't know much about his career for me to judge his mental strength.

WTA Royalties
Queen Maria Sharapova 1-2-1-1-S-32 | Princess Petra Kvitova 2- 12
Mong Mong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
country flag InfoKenway

InfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond repute

MentalDull?
InfoKenway is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
country flag chili

chili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows? Mental strength it's even harder to measure than humbleness.
chili is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
country flag DjokoKing
King Of Tennis

DjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond reputeDjokoKing has a reputation beyond repute

He is the best
DjokoKing is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
but at 2 sets to love up and 4 points away on your serve from your 8th roland garros crown? There's daylight between you and your opponent, he has no reason to be nervous, particularly, if he is, as you guys say (And I agree) mentally the toughest opponent there's ever been.

I don't know that Nadal did or didn't choke (but by the standards usually applied here, he did) but Novak is hardly a normal situation for Nadal EVER and it was his first slam after coming back so he could easily be nervous and I think he would be in fact.

Plus you all make too much of mental strength; you have to be good enough for it to even matter the little that it does at the margins.

You also should look at the entire career in which case things might not be so easy to judge.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote